PDA

View Full Version : Advantage on Saving Through based on Damage Type

ShadowSpirit
December 31st, 2015, 04:33
Hello,

Just purchased Fantasy Grounds and was setting up a low level encounter with a poisonous snake. Made an attack against a dwarf which has the race trait "Dwarven Resilience" ... advantage on all saving rolls against poison.

The creature box text says, "Make a constitution saving throw" and the damage type is poison ... the dwarf in the campaign was not getting advantage on the saving throw nor was the resistance to poison being applied. Is there a way to add a damage type modifier to saving throws?

You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage (explained in chapter 9).

Here is the critter's attack block ...

Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw, taking 5 (2d4) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Am I misinterpreting the rules or is the game not picking up on the fact the save is con based against poison?

Any advice is appreciated.

JohnD
December 31st, 2015, 06:21
Were you clicking on the Advantage button before rolling the save?

TMO
December 31st, 2015, 07:09
Hello,

Just purchased Fantasy Grounds and was setting up a low level encounter with a poisonous snake. Made an attack against a dwarf which has the race trait "Dwarven Resilience" ... advantage on all saving rolls against poison.

The creature box text says, "Make a constitution saving throw" and the damage type is poison ... the dwarf in the campaign was not getting advantage on the saving throw nor was the resistance to poison being applied. Is there a way to add a damage type modifier to saving throws?

You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage (explained in chapter 9).

Here is the critter's attack block ...

Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw, taking 5 (2d4) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Am I misinterpreting the rules or is the game not picking up on the fact the save is con based against poison?

Any advice is appreciated.

You can tell FG how to properly respond to the poison Saving Throw as JohnD suggested. I believe, however, that you can adjust the character sheet to have Dwarven Resilience automatically respected by adding a Power and Action as per this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26231-Let-s-Create-A-character&p=232808&viewfull=1#post232808).

ShadowSpirit
December 31st, 2015, 07:18
Were you clicking on the Advantage button before rolling the save?

This was in the combat tracker. Rolls+damage automatically applied.

ShadowSpirit
December 31st, 2015, 07:21
You can tell FG how to properly respond to the poison Saving Throw as JohnD suggested. I believe, however, that you can adjust the character sheet to have Dwarven Resilience automatically respected by adding a Power and Action as per this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26231-Let-s-Create-A-character&p=232808&viewfull=1#post232808).

Hrm. OK.

Felt this would be part of the integrated functions in the packs/modules. If the combat tracker doesn't work without having to manually update creatures and players via effects and other things ... how is customization handled when there is a package update?

Will I lose my updates when the module is updated?

TMO
December 31st, 2015, 07:28
Hrm. OK.

Felt this would be part of the integrated functions in the packs/modules. If the combat tracker doesn't work without having to manually update creatures and players via effects and other things ... how is customization handled when there is a package update?

Will I lose my updates when the module is updated?

By "updates" do you mean updates to the character sheet? You shouldn't lose anything. AFAIK, character sheets are never updated simply through a module update. If the 5E rule-set were updated to automate support for Dwarven Resilience (which I agree seems like it ought to be there already...but there may be a very good reason for it not to be there), this would only affect the way new Dwarf characters are created and would not alter existing Dwarf characters.

ShadowSpirit
December 31st, 2015, 07:49
By "updates" do you mean updates to the character sheet? You shouldn't lose anything. AFAIK, character sheets are never updated simply through a module update. If the 5E rule-set were updated to automate support for Dwarven Resilience (which I agree seems like it ought to be there already...but there may be a very good reason for it not to be there), this would only affect the way new Dwarf characters are created and would not alter existing Dwarf characters.

Well, if this is ever to work I need to update the con roll to include some type of damage type modifier [poison]? If I go through and update creatures when (if?) the monster manual package is updated will those changes be overwritten?

If this can't work this seems like a non-trivial thing given attacks+damage in the combat tracker are automatically handled. Granted, creatures with special attacks with a save based on a damage type are not typical but they're certainly not a rare occurrence.

Thanks for the response.

TMO
December 31st, 2015, 07:54
Well, if this is ever to work I need to update the con roll to include some type of damage type modifier [poison]? If I go through and update creatures when (if?) the monster manual package is updated will those changes be overwritten?

If this can't work this seems like a non-trivial thing given attacks+damage in the combat tracker are automatically handled. Granted, creatures with special attacks with a save based on a damage type are not typical but they're certainly not a rare occurrence.

Thanks for the response.

I believe you are over-thinking this. If you add the power as I suggested, the PC will have the saving through and poison resistance operating in the combat tracker. So, if you drop the Saving Throw or the Damage from the NPC onto your player then the effects are handled for you. I don't see why you would need to make any changes to creatures.

ShadowSpirit
December 31st, 2015, 08:09
I believe you are over-thinking this. If you add the power as I suggested, the PC will have the saving through and poison resistance operating in the combat tracker. So, if you drop the Saving Throw or the Damage from the NPC onto your player then the effects are handled for you. I don't see why you would need to make any changes to creatures.

You're right. Thank you for your help and with the guide you posted I got it to work.

I feel like this should be handled automatically by the race traits. Maybe a developer will find a way to make it happen.

Thanks again.

Zacchaeus
December 31st, 2015, 10:34
Indeed not everything is automated from drag/drop but at least for 5e it must be getting pretty close to 90% or more. Some character and race traits will create the effect for you if you drag the trait into the Actions tab.

You'll find a lot more information about creating characters here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet) and specifically here's how to set up the racial traits (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Race_Traits).

ShadowSpirit
December 31st, 2015, 20:01
Appreciate the help. Really like the program. Is there a way I can save these effects so that I can more easily add them down the road? I see that I can save them within a campaign but I can't seem to find a way to save them across campaigns/PCs.

JohnD
December 31st, 2015, 20:14
/export and save yourself a module.

Nylanfs
December 31st, 2015, 20:41
Make everything on a PC place holder that way you can copy it from that. :)

TMO
December 31st, 2015, 20:47
Make everything on a PC place holder that way you can copy it from that. :)

How exactly is the copying done? I assume you meant some kind of "copy/paste" operation rather than a manual copy process. I can't figure out how to copy something like a power group from one character sheet onto another...unless you meant doing this from an XML file.

Zacchaeus
December 31st, 2015, 21:49
You can use this extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26044-Campaign-Effects-Export-Extension-%28CoreRPG-based-rulesets%29) to export effects from the effects tab.

I think what the Nylfans is saying is to create effects on a PC and then export that PC and import into another campaign. You can then open the effect and copy paste into a new effect on another PC. You would have to have both of the effect dialogs open to do the copy/pasting. There isn't a way to copy/paste a power group or even an entire effect but you can paste into the conditions/modifiers box in the effect dialog.

To be perfectly honest once you have a handle on effects you'll find it just as easy to write them anew rather than trying to type them all into the effects dialog, export them, import and then copy paste into the character sheet. There is now a lot more resources available than there used to be and Fantasy Grounds creates most of them (spells especially) automatically. Between the Wiki and the character effect packages (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information) most of the effects you'll need are already there.

TMO
December 31st, 2015, 21:57
To be perfectly honest once you have a handle on effects you'll find it just as easy to write them anew rather than trying to type them all into the effects dialog, export them, import and then copy paste into the character sheet. There is now a lot more resources available than there used to be and Fantasy Grounds creates most of them (spells especially) automatically. Between the Wiki and the character effect packages (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information) most of the effects you'll need are already there.

My interest is purely for those exceptions, such as what was addressed in this thread. I have no doubt that once this stuff becomes second nature to me then I'll be adding effects like a boss...but I'm not there yet. I crave consistency and accuracy so I like the idea of doing it correctly once, then using it as a template for others.