PDA

View Full Version : PFS Special: Bonekeep One: The Silent Grave (Sub-Tier 3-7, NORMAL, 1XP/2PP, Deadly)

HoloGnome
December 30th, 2015, 18:01
What is the Silent Grave? It may be your own! :dead:

If you think you are up for the legendary and notorious challenge of Bonekeep, where you will face danger at every turn, this scenario is the one for you!

I have put this event on the calendar here: Ruins of Bonekeep Level One: The Silent Grave (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1756)

I don't have a specific time yet, but am planning it for January/February, depending on my schedule. I will run it multiple times, depending on the number of sign-ups at whatever sub-tier is required.

You can expect encounters that are, at a glance, 30-50% harder than normal and more numerous than a regular PFS scenario (more like a module in that respect). So, if you want to play, you should be an experienced Pathfinder and consider bringing a tough and resourceful character. Pregens are also always welcome - whatever you prefer and/or enjoy.

For parties that complete Part One, I will also run Part Two: Maze to the Mind Slave.

GM Disclaimer: This scenario is one in which the chance of PC death is significantly higher than a regular PFS scenario. If you sign up, you should be ready to face that risk. As a GM, I'm not out to intentionally kill your PC (other than playing hostiles at their full capability, as normal), but the scenario probably is. ;)

Module Disclaimer, p. 4 Box Text: Welcome to the Ruins of Bonekeep. This is the first of a series of special events designed to test your character to its limits and beyond. The threat of character death is very real in this event, but the potential rewards are greater as a result. You will be able to, as a table, decide to leave the event at any time should it become too deadly for you, except when engaged in combat. If this is not the type of event for you, now is the time to back out.

You are on the clock: Note that you will have no more than 5 hrs. of real time to explore the ruins. At the end of 5 hrs., Ambrus Valsin needs your report and will be there to extract you, whether you have succeeded or failed. So, when you head into the ruins, your pace is going to be critical and all party chit-chat and other delays must be at a minimum if you hope to get as much information as possible for the Society. It is going to be a harrowing race against time and danger! [The clock will start when the briefing begins.]

Recovering from Death: If you are concerned about dying in this scenario, you should make sure that you bring a character that has enough resources to recover from death (and also remove 2 negative levels).

The costs are as follows (see Guide pp. 23 and 26):
Have your body recovered by a rescue team (if your party leaves you behind): 5PP (or a scenario boon to do it for free, if you have it)
Raise Dead: 5,450gp or 16PP
Remove Permanent Negative Level: 1,280gp or 4PP -- x2 Negative Levels = 2,560 or 8PP
Total (assuming your body is not left behind): 8,010gp or 24PP

Note that you can remove the negative levels over time. The base requirement is, of course, for retrieval (if necessary) and Raise Dead.

Also, note what resources you and/or the party may use (see Guide, p. 24):

Please note that players can (and are encouraged to) share or pool their resources in order to bring a dead party member back to life. They may not, however, pool Prestige Points to do so, even if they’re from the same faction. PCs can also sell off gear, including the dead character’s gear, at 50% of its listed value to raise money to purchase a spell that will return their slain ally from the dead, though they can only do so in a settlement and they cannot sell off any items found during the current scenario that they haven’t purchased. PCs who die during a scenario and are raised receive full XP for that scenario, so long as they completed at least three encounters.

JWMK
December 30th, 2015, 18:23
I have heard the legends of this scenario and accordingly have been intrigued to attempt it... Have applied to calendar.

Farnaby
December 30th, 2015, 18:36
I'm going for it. Put my name in the calendar.

aerine
December 30th, 2015, 20:24
I'm considering going for it, but running a pregen. Depending on what would work well with the group.

xazil
December 30th, 2015, 20:33
I'm happy to come along and have quite a few options at either subtler. From the sounds we want a well balanced party.

HoloGnome
December 30th, 2015, 20:43
OK - I have assigned numbers for the first party. Please leave the numbers in place when you add your character names. Thx.

lachancery
December 30th, 2015, 20:43
Just confirming, this isn't a replayable scenario, right?

Be forewarned, the risk of dying in this one is high; Bonekeep has claimed many pathfinders. One would be wise to bring a character that has enough gold and/or PP to be raised...

HoloGnome
December 30th, 2015, 20:48
It's not an evergreen scenario and not a level 1 module. So, no. It's a 1XP/2PP scenario. However, you could always use a GM star replay.

lachancery
December 30th, 2015, 21:01
It's not an evergreen scenario and not a level 1 module. So, no. It's a 1XP/2PP scenario. However, you could always use a GM star replay.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't remember whether I've used it or not... Know any way to check other than going through the list of all the scenarios I've played?

HoloGnome
December 30th, 2015, 21:08
Just go to the master list of all of your sessions (https://secure.paizo.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/browse?path=pathfinderSociety/myAccount/sessions#tabs) on paizo.com. If you are wondering about whether or not you have any GM star replays available, you would have to track those.

HoloGnome
December 30th, 2015, 21:22
Please see the 1st post in this thread. I have updated the content to include the scenario disclaimer and a note about the fact that it will be timed. I want to make sure you are well-informed of these issues up front so that there is no disappointment at the end. How far you get will hinge on how able the party is to rapidly handle challenges in a decisive manner.

lachancery
December 30th, 2015, 21:40
I'm signing up using my GM star replay pending 1) I confirm later tonight that I have not used it and 2) that play time will be compatible with my schedule.

I could bring a level 4 (or 5 if I play her once before this) melee Magus or a level 7 support Skald.

Victor
December 31st, 2015, 01:16
Going to sign up as #7.
It would be a miracle if you can get the first 6 random signups into one time slot. Do you expect this to just be one session?

lachancery
December 31st, 2015, 02:49
Going to sign up as #7.
It would be a miracle if you can get the first 6 random signups into one time slot. Do you expect this to just be one session?
Have a closer look at the opening post; it's a convention special with a 5 hours strict timer. It's essentially a "survive as long as you can and complete your mission as fast as you can before the timer runs out". Plus it's legendarily lethal.

lachancery
December 31st, 2015, 04:45
I'm signing up using my GM star replay pending 1) I confirm later tonight that I have not used it and 2) that play time will be compatible with my schedule.

Boohoo... It seems I did use my GM star scenario replay and I'm still too far from my second star to make it before this session. I must withdraw from this muster. :(

Have fun everyone!

HoloGnome
December 31st, 2015, 07:59
Sorry to hear that lachancery. If you have the Expanded Narrative boon, you can recharge stars.

Myrddin
December 31st, 2015, 15:30
I've signed up for slot #7 in case there are enough sign-ups for a second group. I'll need to play a pregen.

HoloGnome
December 31st, 2015, 15:56
Note that I have updated the 1st post in this thread to explain the resources required for recovering bodies, Raise Dead, and removing negative levels. Please make sure you read and understand what is required in terms of gold and/or prestige points if you would like to raise your character in the event of death in this scenario.

kwarner1986
December 31st, 2015, 17:31
Guess, I'll be bench player #2

HoloGnome
December 31st, 2015, 23:37
Ok - well...there will hopefully be at least 2 sessions.

bigboom
January 1st, 2016, 05:07
One of my character's died today so feeling a bit gun shy, I'm thinking to just roll with a pregen. I've signed up to the calendar at the end of the line, which I think is #2.4

lachancery
January 1st, 2016, 05:43
Sorry to hear that lachancery. If you have the Expanded Narrative boon, you can recharge stars.
That's the season 7 GM boon, right? I don't recall getting such a chronicle sheet, but I didn't ask for it either. I'll have to look it up.

HoloGnome
January 1st, 2016, 07:47
I think it is a recurring boon...Season 6, Season 7, etc. Definitely Season 6, at least.

HoloGnome
January 1st, 2016, 07:52
One of my character's died today so feeling a bit gun shy, I'm thinking to just roll with a pregen.

Yeouch. Well...no worries...ok to bring a pregen if you like.

Also, if PFS, check the APL and make sure you played in the right subtier. If the game ran at an invalid subtier, then it is invalid/doesn't count, cannot be reported, and your character is not dead. ;)

Trenloe
January 1st, 2016, 08:12
A reminder for people thinking of playing pregens: "You may not assign a Chronicle sheet earned with a pregenerated character to a character that was already at the level of the pregenerated character or higher." (from the Guide to PFS, page 21)

Since Bonekeep first came out there have been quite a few players who have played the scenario "risk free" by using a pregen and if they died applying the death to PC #99 (or similar - essentially a blank PC that never played but the death chronicle was applied to). However, as mentioned above, you can't play a "risk free" pregen and then apply the chronicle sheet immediately to one of your PCs that could have played (unless it's a level 3 and you'll have to wait until it hits level 4 to see the benefits). The rewards for Bonekeep can also be much more than a normal scenario, so you might want to take on the challenge with your own PC and reap the rewards.

Just remember the disclaimer HG put in post #1 - the challenges of this scenario might not be for everyone...

HoloGnome
January 1st, 2016, 09:01
You could also apply it to a 1st level, but that might defeat the purpose of the greater rewards. ;)

Victor
January 1st, 2016, 10:33
Shouldn't even allow pregens in this. Does not instill confidence for those of us bringing time worn PCs. :p If I saw everyone in my party bringing pregens I would have to bow out or bow in to the pressure and bring one myself.
(I know it can't be disallowed, It's just wishful thinking.)

bigboom
January 1st, 2016, 12:58
If my playing a pregen makes others uncomfortable, I'm fine to withdraw. Wouldn't want to ruin the scenario for others.

HoloGnome
January 1st, 2016, 15:06
To all - there's absolutely no pressure in either direction and let's not go down that path or start bad-mouthing the pregens. They don't deserve it. The pregens are OK - especially the ACG ones and those at upper levels. I've played various pregens - Kyra, Ezren, Seoni, Amiri, Enora, Quinn, Oloch, Merisiel, etc. - no problems and had a good time with all of them, especially when there are overnights to do some spell swapping (like in Kyra's case and to a lesser extent, Ezren). If this were a CON or game store, you would sit down and play and people would have what they have, pregen or otherwise.

In Bonekeep 1, there will be an overnight at the start, so spell selection won't be an issue, if relevant for any PC or pregen. It's true that pregens don't have a ton of gold to buy things, but they do have some interesting, unique (and powerful) inventory items (Enora's staff, Amiri's Sword, etc.) and they're designed to be played as is, for the most part. Also, there are plenty of average or basic PC builds out there that are under-equipped, work just fine and are fun to play, but may not have been min-maxed or otherwise optimized vs. other PCs/pregens. And, remember that the pregens exist to facilitate play and jump-start the character creation process, so some PCs are built directly from Pregen/1 characters and may track the pregen abilities over time. Therefore, broad generalizations don't really hold up in either case.

Forget about whether it's a PC or pregen -- the main reason you live or die in any scenario is how you play and communicate with each other as a party, where that play happily stacks with probability and preparation in both directions. PCs and pregens die just as quickly when doing a trap or monster Leroy Jenkins, splitting (or less commonly not splitting or at least spreading out) the party at inopportune moments, or underestimating the enemy and any special or melee abilities they might have.

"Knowledge? What knowledge? I'm a Barbarian!"

Good teamwork is your most powerful party weapon.

It might be good to have well-rounded parties (DPS, Tank, Arcane, Divine, (and/or Psychic?), Skill Monkey -- Weapons, Consumables, Ranged, AoE, Healing, etc.) -- also as xazil commented earlier -- but there is more than one party-building strategy that can lead to a successful scenario, which is one of the great things about PFS. In addition, your PCs should be very well-prepared as diligent and experienced Pathfinders always are, and you, as players, should do your best to sync up and communicate quickly and efficiently with each other!

Here's a non-surprising hint: The word "Diplomacy" is used in Bonekeep/Silent Grave exactly 1 time and you can infer from that whatever you want. :D

"Chance favors the prepared mind." (Pasteur would have made a great Pathfinder - probably an Alchemist!)

OK - there have been enough disclaimers - I think the challenge is well-understood. Focus on your PCs and preparation, or if you know you will be playing a pregen, please select one. Also, please update the calendar with your character info to help jump-start the party sync/balance discussion.

Your pal Kenny has some final advice. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4) :D

ps. bigboom - don't worry about it - play what you want and have a good time.

lachancery
January 1st, 2016, 15:55
HG, may I humbly suggest that it wasn't the intent of Victor's message to question the worth of pregens. I believe Victor was calling out that players who bring in pregens have, by PFS rule, the ability to dodge the consequence of death by assigning that chronicle sheet to a dud character #, whereas non-pregens have to claw their way back from death, or die.

In other words, both don't have as much at stake and may not view risk taking decisions in quite the same eye, thus his wishful thinking...

(PS: As a matter of personal opinion, I share Victor's view: I would likely back out of burning a GM star replay if the party had more than 1 pregen or if the other players were opting to bring in a pregen instead of one of their character because of the risks. For what it's worth, my level 4 character doesn't have the means to come back from death, but I would still bring her in if that were the subtier being played.)

HoloGnome
January 1st, 2016, 17:44
Yes - I tend to agree, but am neutral on the rules. I understand Victor's message and banter, but don't want to get lost in a pregen debate and have players end up with bad feelings developing in either direction (like bigboom volunteering to withdraw because of perceived pregen stigma). As Trenloe says, the only pregen restriction is that you can't apply the credit to a character of the same level. The Guide is very clear about pregen use on page 5.

[quote="Guide p. 5"]If you don’t have time to create a new character or simply wish to try out a new character class, you may choose to use one of several level-appropriate pregenerated characters available at paizo.com/pathfindersociety or from your local event coordinator.[/url]

Similarly, at CONs, players may not have characters with them or their characters may not be ready. As long as they don't assign the credit to a character of the same level, there should be no issue. There is also a recent paizo forum thread (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2sva4?PFS-PSA-You-can-always-choose-to-play-an) on pregen use. Players sit down with whatever they've got (or nothing in the case of pregens).

There are 3 points of pregen criticism:
1. Are they any good? Statement: "I don't want to play with pregens because they aren't strong enough." -- I've tried to address this one above.
2. What's at stake? Statement: "I don't want to play with pregens because the players have nothing at stake and will take unacceptable risks." -- it's a fair comment. However, I hope that everyone would always act in the best interest of the party, regardless of what character they were playing.
3. Are pregens just broken? Statement: "Players shouldn't be allowed to cheat death with pregens and write them off on a L1 instead of some other character." -- The rules are the rules and they are designed to be inclusive and facilitate all gaming requirements. When players get turned away from the table, it's never a good thing. "I don't have my character." "Too bad - you have one at that level, so you can't play this game!" ...or some other point of failure... -- obviously not good outcomes for the player or an inclusive point of entry to become interested in Pathfinder

The goal is for everyone to have a fun and challenging adventure.

I'm happy to address the concern in #2 above. If there are those of you that want a game with minimum pregen partners, I will try to accommodate you. Just put a "/PNP" after your character name on the calendar ("prefer no pregens"). It's totally fine with me and I am willing to reshuffle the priority for a minimum-pregen game. I think there will be 2 full tables, regardless, so priority isn't a high priority. ;) 1 table can be min pregens and the other will just be random. That being said, as GM, I expect all players to do their best to play whatever character they bring and act in the best interest of overall success of the party.

There are some scenarios, like We Be Goblins and True Dragons of Absalom, that are just full of awesome because you get to play pregens! Pregens are a great Pathfinder resource and fill many needs and roles!

Victor - I put a PNP after Belte, and I understand your viewpoint. No problem whatsoever. If it's possible to do a min. pregen game, I'll try to do that for you (and others who want the same thing).

lachancery - if you track down "Expanded Narrative," I'd love to have you play!

So...hopefully this post will address any remaining issues with pregens. As above, I'd like to make this scenario accessible and fun for all concerned, and I think it will be!

Thx for the feedback! :)

AxitMaster
January 1st, 2016, 20:56
Hi HG

Hope you will be able to do more than one session, as I would like to play.

lachancery
January 1st, 2016, 21:13
I had not claimed a GM chronicle sheet for running at the last FG Con; I now have an Expanded Narrative boon! Woohoo.

I have added myself back to the Game Calendar and would like to play with Victor.

HoloGnome
January 1st, 2016, 22:17
Great! OK. We have 12...but for you two, I will wait for a table of 6-7 PNPs. So...if anyone else has a level 6 or 7 they want to play, please indicate on the calendar and we'll find a time.

There is Dregga for 3 and maybe xazil has one...

Axit...there will be at least 2 sessions.

lachancery
January 1st, 2016, 22:26
Great! OK. We have 12...but for you two, I will wait for a table of 6-7 PNPs. So...if anyone else has a level 6 or 7 they want to play, please indicate on the calendar and we'll find a time.

There is Dregga for 3 and maybe xazil has one...

If Victor wants to play in subtier 3-4, I have a level 4 character available as well.

HoloGnome
January 2nd, 2016, 02:40
There are 6 declared PCs. If you can agree on a subtier and get the APL in range -- looks like 3-4 -- you're good to go.

xazil
January 2nd, 2016, 04:31
For 6-7 I can bring:
Ragnar 6 - Melee druid, heavy armor and great weapon.
Haplo 6 - Small Samurai tank with his wolf
Ulheim 6 - Alchemist with bombs and reach weapon.

lachancery
January 2nd, 2016, 04:40
For 6-7 I can bring:
Ragnar 6 - Melee druid, heavy armor and great weapon.
Haplo 6 - Small Samurai tank with his wolf
Ulheim 6 - Alchemist with bombs and reach weapon.
Ragnar seems the most compatible with a raging song buff?

xazil
January 2nd, 2016, 04:47
Ragnar (he buffs mostly) or Haplo (raging spirited charge) would take it most of the time, Ulheim while mostly a meleer is often throwing extra effects around.

HoloGnome
January 2nd, 2016, 08:00
OK - nice - looks like there are 4 at 6-7: Victor, lachancery, xazil, BK. Who else wants to play in the upper subtier with a non-pregen?

Lord Kavos
January 2nd, 2016, 10:56
I just realized I forgot to get the GM boon off trenloe for fg7... So if I can use expanded narrative I would been keen to play Ulfgar in the 6-7 tier if possible

HoloGnome
January 2nd, 2016, 11:02
Ulfgar? That pansy? He'll probably trip on his way down the stairs? :D Hehe. OK - we all know he's a brute - he's just what Bonekeep needs!

So that makes 5 - anyone else for the high tier with your own PC?

aerine
January 2nd, 2016, 19:48
I could run with Gundred, however, she is still tied up in another game, so I can't apply her (I believe). That's why I said pregen... that and I really am a chicken. Also, every time I've run with a pregen, I've had to assign the number ahead of time, so I couldn't just "apply" to a character if I lived, or to a throw away if I died.

HoloGnome
January 2nd, 2016, 20:31
aerine - you never have to assign a number ahead of time. The next time you get that request from a GM in PFS, you can defer until after the game.

Victor
January 2nd, 2016, 20:41
Wow, I didn't mean to start up a big pregen discussion. I was being mostly sarcastic, but a bit serious about the risk factors. Anyhow, good to see it turned into a non pregen game.

Aerine - Gundred should be done with that mission by the time we play Bonekeep. HG is running them both and that game is old and should have priority so we can free up our PCs.

HoloGnome
January 3rd, 2016, 16:41
aerine/Victor: Rivalry's End will finish first before I run Bone Keep or Serpent's Rise. I tried to wrap up Rivarly's End and posted multiple available times, but, unfortunately, there was no compatible time for all of you over the holidays. I have posted a new time for tonight, and that may be my last window for the next week. I will not be available next weekend.

JWMK - you haven't listed your character in the calendar. Is that "7" supposed to be Karsh? (I assume so and have updated for you since you're only 0.5 XP away and will have it after Rivarly's End.)

The "No-Pregen" party is going to be:
lachancery/Goralion - Skald/7
Lord Kavos/Ulfgar - Barbarian/Brawler - 6 (3?/3?)
xazil/Ulheim - Alchemist/6
Victor/Belteshazzar - Magus/7
BK/Dregga - Druid/7
JWMK - Fighter/7

This game will run 1st. It looks like you have a bit of everything and also some front-liners. You may want to consider stocking up on consumables for this one-time run, especially since some of you are using GM star replay boons to play. There is the notable absence of a full selective channeler.

Mixed Party #1 is going to be:
Farnaby (witch/5), aerine, Myrddin, kwarner, diablodevil2 (investigator/3), AxitMaster

This game will run 2nd and you can choose the sub-tier, but it looks like 3-4 at the moment. It will be a party of mixed PCs/pregens, as players prefer.

Mixed Party #2 - still forming - others welcome:
bigboom

This game will run 3rd and you can choose the sub-tier. It will be a party of mixed PCs/pregens, as players prefer.

Victor
January 3rd, 2016, 18:21
aerine/Victor: Rivalry's End will finish first before I run Bone Keep or Serpent's Rise. I tried to wrap up Rivarly's End and posted multiple available times, but, unfortunately, there was no compatible time for all of you over the holidays.

Yup Yup, no worries. I appreciate the attempts and we will do it when everyone can. Not even a rush really, just wanted to let Aerine know she should have Gundred free by Bonekeep time.
I'm good for tonight btw, finger's crossed.

bigboom
January 4th, 2016, 13:11
Mixed Party #1 is going to be:
Farnaby (witch/5), aerine, Myrddin, kwarner, diablodevil2 (investigator/3), bigboom

This game will run 2nd and you can choose the sub-tier, but it looks like 3-4 at the moment. It will be a party of mixed PCs/pregens, as players prefer.

Mixed Party #2 - still forming - others welcome:
AxitMaster

This game will run 3rd and you can choose the sub-tier. It will be a party of mixed PCs/pregens, as players prefer.

HG, can you switch me out with Axit? I'm in no rush and can wait.

HoloGnome
January 4th, 2016, 13:50
Done.

cmdisc
January 4th, 2016, 21:05
I might be able to run in this sometime. I have a few 3rd levels I could bring along.

HoloGnome
January 4th, 2016, 23:35
OK - updated. Would recommend L4...but you have some time.

HoloGnome
January 7th, 2016, 15:56
Good email discussions in the first "no pregen" group. Sounds like the party is starting to sync up, figuring out capabilities, deciding what other prep/supplies might be needed, and thinking about how to handle various types of abstract dungeon crawl challenges. Good job!

Lord Kavos
January 13th, 2016, 23:23
What sort of timeframe are you looking to run the non prefer session? Just letting u know my weekends (gmt+10) is my only availability at present, don't mind early mornings (your night), just thought I would let u know

HoloGnome
January 14th, 2016, 00:47
Maybe later this month or Feb. It depends on my schedule. I still have a few things to wrap up before I can focus on Bonekeep.

HoloGnome
January 25th, 2016, 12:58
Just an update - looks like this will be sometime in early February. Also, Paizo just released Bonekeep 3. So, I will be running all 3, in case you need to do any character planning.

kwarner1986
January 27th, 2016, 16:49
I'm not sure what the waiting list is like in the no pregen group, but if someone drops from that group, I could bring Rebecca since she is freed up, if someone drops.

If I'm in group two, I don't have a lot of level 3-4 options. I've got L4 Fighter Archer and I think a L3 Wizard (Support)

Victor
January 27th, 2016, 20:53
I don't know if there is already an alternate or not so I can't just give you my spot, but I am dropping from this. Funny too because I was the one who first brought up the pregens. :)
Long story short, I will probably not be playing much besides the couple of campaigns i am in for at least a few months.

HoloGnome
January 27th, 2016, 23:14
Sorry to hear that, Victor. I'm sure Belte was itching for a fight. Hope the campaigns work out.

kwarner - I have moved you into spot #NP6. Welcome aboard!

Based on Rivalry's End (and I realize that there were multiple factors that were not all Rebecca), I will caution you that your Rebecca build could be a bit stronger in certain basic respects. For example, compared to Kyra, she only has 40hp vs. Kyra's 59. Her AC is 18 vs. Kyra's 19, her base spell DC's are 1 less, and her saves are 2 worse across the board.

Anything you could do to improve in these categories (additional adventures?) would be helpful. Also, Rebecca is momentarily out of gold and prestige. I'm not saying that Rebecca doesn't have her strong points...she does. But, constructively, anything you could do to improve her toughness would help.

If you'd like to play Kyra instead, that's fine with me, even if it is the NPP, assuming others agree. But, what you play is totally up to you.

Also, for your consideration, I will add that good teamwork and strategy will always serve to mitigate invidual PC weaknesses in any class.

--> Now that I think of it, you did just get the Belt of Mighty Constitution +2, so that will be a good bump to 47!

Lord Kavos
January 28th, 2016, 01:25
Ulfgar always looks after the pretty chicks, so Rebecca should be fine :-) If she sticks close to him...

It's always a risk for 2hd wp cleric builds - low ac means they get hit quite a bit, and they usually hit hard with the usual buffs so they become a valid target for bad guys. Try spells like defending bone (dr 5/bludgeoning (lasts 10min/lvl), bears endurance of course, aid & anything else you can to boost hp. AC boost spells are too short for the most part, and you tend to use str buffs or other spells in the initial rounds of combat anyway.

kwarner1986
January 28th, 2016, 15:53
Yeah, I'm pretty broke, but I will look into those spells and will stay in the middle. Her channel heal could prove to be saving grace to the party.

Most likely going to run the following spells:
Lvl 1s:
Bless
Shield of Faith
Remove Fear
Obscuring Mist
Comprehend Languages
Charm Person (Domain)

Lvl 2's:
Defending Bone
Ironskin
Shield Other
Grace
Aid (Domain)

Lvl 3's:
Magic Circle Against Evil
Remove Blindness/Deafness
Invisibility Purge
Protection from Energy (Domain)

Lvl 4's:
Neutralize Poison
Heroism (Domain)

Abilities
Adoration (Has failed to prevent an attack!)
Bit of Luck 6/Day
Channel 9/Day @ 6d6
Clarifying Channel 1/Day

Don't worry, Ulfgar is a manly man and wouldn't dare cower behind Rebecca like some other pathfinders. Rebecca is going to start gear towards the "White Mage" role. With my support spells, healing, and "staying in the middle of the group" We should be successful. I am open to new suggestions and spells that I might have overlooked. Ironskin should help my survival. Windy Escape for clerics.

HoloGnome
January 28th, 2016, 17:25
Windy Escape for clerics.

I had commented on Sylphs, but then I re-read. Never mind - I see what you're saying. :)

JWMK
February 3rd, 2016, 02:00
HG - Any idea when you may be throwing some dates/times up for the NPP? I know it can take some time to find a slot that will work everyone. Thanks for putting this together for all of us.

For those of you in the NPP, I have personally kept a slot open for Karsh to be able to do Bonekeep 2 (if he makes it out of Bonekeep 1 and doesn't get week in the knees), and he will be leveled to be able to do Bonekeep 3. Thought it could be neat if the party works out well if we keep the party together like a mini campaign. Just a thought for you to take into consideration if that interests you that you would need to keep 2 slots open before leveling to 8.

HoloGnome
February 3rd, 2016, 03:55
JWMK - There is also Bonekeep 3, so you need 3 slots, rather than 2. Not sure - see above replies about timing.

JWMK
February 3rd, 2016, 04:08
HG - When I checked PathfinderWiki it shows Bonekeep at being a 5-9 tier scenario, so I thought leveling to 8 for part 3 (if he survives) would be advantageous. Please advise if I am wrong. If so, I could always apply Rise of Serpents to another char and open a 3rd slot for him on 7. Here is link from what I saw:

https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Ruins_of_Bonekeep_Level_3:_The_Wakening_Tomb

HoloGnome
February 3rd, 2016, 06:33
JWMK - Yes - it is 5-9. So - no worries if you have 2 slots at 7th.

HoloGnome
February 19th, 2016, 15:31
Sorry for the delay on this one, I got pulled into TJAS parts 1 & 2 to help out lachancery which has pushed this one out slightly. I will be running session 2 of Rivalry's End next week sometime and this one is up next after that.

Also, when you select/plan your characters, be aware that there are 3 parts to Bonekeep, as above.

HoloGnome
March 5th, 2016, 20:10
I have completed Rivalry's End, so this game is now up! Note that we have room for 1 more player in the upper sub-tier (6-7) in the "No-Pregen-Party" (going first).

Myrddin, aerine, Farnaby, bigboom, AxitMaster, diablodevil2 - are any of you interested in the open spot and do you have a character at level 6-7 (preferably 7)? First-come, first-served. Please post here to let me know.

aerine
March 5th, 2016, 20:14
I have completed Rivalry's End, so this game is now up! Note that we have room for 1 more player in the upper sub-tier (6-7) in the "No-Pregen-Party" (going first).

Myrddin, aerine, Farnaby, bigboom, AxitMaster, diablodevil2 - are any of you interested in the open spot and do you have a character at level 6-7 (preferably 7)? First-come, first-served. Please post here to let me know.

I only have a lvl 6 alchemist that would fit, and yes, I would consider playing it.

HoloGnome
March 5th, 2016, 20:23
Well...it's more commit than consider. ;) I would recommend that you level to 7 for 3rd level extracts, 4d6 bombs and the extra hp and feat, if possible. Is this Caw-Boom? How far off is he from 7th?

But, either way (6th or 7th), up to you. Let me know if you are committing to the spot, given the risk of certain death, etc. :hurt:

Thx! :D

aerine
March 5th, 2016, 20:24
I just made it to level 6, so it may be a bit. the consideration is because 1: there is another alchemist in party, and 2: I'm not level 7 yet. So, if someone has someone who is ready, take them over me :)

HoloGnome
March 5th, 2016, 20:28
OK - well...sign up on the calendar for Level 8: The Circle of Vissk-Thar of Emerald Spire. It's a 6-8 and you can pick up a level. It will run next Saturday AM and you can play as the alternate if someone doesn't show.

Again, it's up to you - you're welcome to play at Level 6 if you like.

aerine
March 5th, 2016, 21:46
What time saturday am, the calendar was not being nice and letting me look.... :/

HoloGnome
March 6th, 2016, 00:42
The game starts at 7AM Eastern.

Lord Kavos
March 6th, 2016, 00:55
Can u put the session date/time on the calendar buddy?

HoloGnome
March 6th, 2016, 14:09
Ya sher yebetcha! Time is up for next Saturday night US time.

Myrddin
March 6th, 2016, 15:04
I don't have a L6 or L7, unfortunately.

HoloGnome
March 6th, 2016, 15:26
Myrddin - no worries - I'll be running it at the lower sub-tier also. :)

GM BK
March 6th, 2016, 20:59
Did we determine whether or not we have a healer for this session? Still debating on if I should bring Dregga, or if I should bring Kyra... I don't mind playing heals, but my wild shaped spec druid is not the character for that job.

HoloGnome
March 6th, 2016, 21:26
Rebecca, I assume...and you're in the "No-Pregen-Party," but, as a party, you're free to re-evaluate that stance since the party composition has changed. I think the people who cared most about no pregens are no longer on the roster. I'm OK either way.

GM BK
March 6th, 2016, 21:27
If we've got a healer, then i'll gladly bring along Dregga :)

Lord Kavos
March 7th, 2016, 12:51
Hi buddy,

Here are Ulfgar's files...

Ulfgar is a huge, but not too bright Ulfen (human) barbarian/brawler. He stands almost 7' tall, broad and muscular, with wild kept red hair and beard. A massive axe-like pole arm (Bardiche) is commonly at hand, and a gleaming greataxe is strapped across his back across heavy animal pelts that cover his legs and torso. Several pitchers and wineskins hang from his belt, along with a wooden keg tied to the top of his backpack.

A lover of Cayden Cailean and her brew, Ulfgar is able to use his prodigious drinking to fuel his anger and rage, downing pitchers and wineskins during the heat of battle without any loss of fighting prowess. He is a true drunken barbarian, quick to fight & wrestle - his hot-blooded nature akin to all who inhabit the arctic north. But he is almost as quick to forget, his drunken demeanour bright and happy when not threatened.

Now that Ulfgar's clan has forged a relationship with The Exchange faction within the Pathfinder Society, Ulfgar has been sent to uphold the clan's bargain with them. As long there are opportunities to drink, wench and fight, the young, bold Ulfgar couldn't care less...

GM BK
March 7th, 2016, 15:15
So, I've got about 3000 gp left to spend... any suggestions as far as consumables?

JWMK
March 7th, 2016, 17:37
I've got about 6k, but am wondering if I am better off holding on to it for healing. We should ensure that we have gp between us to pool for Raise Dead etc. Thoughts of the NP group for this upcoming session?

GM BK
March 7th, 2016, 18:32
I've got 31 prestige, so i'm good there. i'm thinking i might pick up some scrolls of lesser restoration and maybe resist energy(10)... they're fairly cheap... oil of bless weapon could come in handy as well... it is called Bonekeep after all, so i wouldn't be surprised if we run into some incorporeal undead. something to see invisible might be a good idea as well.

HoloGnome
March 7th, 2016, 19:06
We still have room for one more PC in the upper sub-tier (6-7) for the "No Pregen Party". Who wants the spot?

kwarner1986
March 7th, 2016, 20:07
Consider potions/scrolls of remove disease/poison. At the very least have anti-toxin/plagues. Sounds like, I'll be in full defense mode the entire time. Hopefully 9, 6d6 channels will get us to victory.

GM BK
March 7th, 2016, 20:15
Yup, that's standard gear for me... antitox, antiplague, stillgut, alchemist's fire... i'll add some scrolls of remove disease/poison along with the scrolls of lesser restoration and resist energy as well. We might want to consider picking up a Wand of Remove Fear...

What's in your Haversack?

HoloGnome
March 7th, 2016, 21:07
Did someone say haversack?? Better keep it away from Grandmaster Torch! :D

Sam - do you want to play this Saturday? Also - please confirm that you know that Bonekeep is a special and deadly scenario. ;)

HoloGnome
March 7th, 2016, 22:43
OK - it looks like Sam is grabbing the extra spot and may play in Spire on Saturday AM to get to 7th. Sam - make sure you vote on both calendar times. Thx!

HoloGnome
March 7th, 2016, 22:49
So...the party is for Saturday is:

Karrack: Barbarian/4 Hunter/3 (assuming spire game)
Ulfgar Longarm: Drunken Barbarian/5 Brawler/2
Dregga: Melee Druid/7 (no companion)
Karsh: Fighter/7
Ulheim: Alchemist/7
Rebecca the Twice-Kicked Aasimar (hehe :D ): Cleric/7

Definitely melee-heavy. Make sure you have all the desired/necessary consumables before Saturday. I would like to keep last-minute shopping to a minimum. Thx! :)

Also, prepare yourself mentally for fast-paced play. This scenario is timed!

Everyone should be thinking about their next action while others are taking their turns. If there needs to be party discussion or cross-communication, it will be at the top of the round. If you're not sure about your action when your turn arrives, I will delay you and you can hop in when you are ready. You will, no doubt, have various buffs running, so you should try to be very efficient in combats and the delve, in general.

If there needs to be any player discussion about strategy and/or preparation, you have several days - please do it now! :)

kwarner1986
March 7th, 2016, 23:05
That would be Thrice-Kicked Aasimar!

I had a building (Huge Earth Elemental) fall on me!

GM BK
March 7th, 2016, 23:10
Also, prepare yourself mentally for face-paced play.

Please define "face-paced play"? Is this where we roll our faces back and forth across the keyboard? I've heard that's fairly effective in WoW these days...

Lord Kavos
March 7th, 2016, 23:57
I can't really comment on preparations / purchases we should make as I am using a GM star replay to play this one again...

Having said that, this is a special, with a fixed 5hr timetable. The last time I played this the players spent an hour prepping before we even rolled for initiative - so I definitely don't want to go down that road again. Let's get all the purchases sorted out now, so we can jump straight in on the day.

One possible issue is the lack of a strong arcane spellcaster, so maybe look at some potions or scrolls with some of those arcane buffs we love so much (scroll of haste x2 anyone??)

I have already set up Ulfgar's purchases - mostly potions of enlarge person & prot from evil, a couple of blur potions as well & a cl6 barkskin potion. He has about 4.5k in gp, so enough to help out with raise dead, but he is saving up for his Caylean Fighting Tankard so he will be very angry if anyone dies...

HoloGnome
March 8th, 2016, 01:17
kwarner - that's true - you should really stop dressing her in that "KICK ME" shirt.

BK: Haha - ok - I fixed it. :P And, no, I think that is Passed-Face play. :D

Otherwise, fast-paced means that we're not going to wait for player turns. If players are not ready, they will have to delay briefly until they are ready. There's no implication of malice or shame there - just the need to keep combats snappy. It's too easy to get bogged down and this one-time adventure is one where you don't want to get bogged down, or else the party may lose out and not finish. It could happen very easily and few parties end this scenario intact (or with full completion).

Also, you should consider party tactics. The fights that take an hour or more are the ones that go sideways because players lose the initiative, don't control the battlefield, split the party, are underpowered vs. enemies, don't leverage their skills, don't focus down on their enemies, or also, randomly, when the dice hate you. Initiative and relative action economy are critical. So, consider tactics carefully. If the party does not coordinate well or to the best of its ability, the battles will be harder and will probably take longer.

You should be prepared to do the briefing, any required research, do very short intros, then go.

HoloGnome
March 8th, 2016, 02:53
OK - according to the calendar - we're locked and loaded and Sam is going to pick up an extra level for Karrack in the AM.

HoloGnome
March 8th, 2016, 19:04
(scroll of haste x2 anyone??)

Well, I guess it's going to be on anyone with UMD, including Ulheim. But...at least it's on his spell list. Or, you could ditch one of the melee types and someone could play Seoni (haste x5) or Ezren (haste x1) and the ability to use scrolls without error. :bandit:

GM BK
March 8th, 2016, 22:50
I was thinking i would pick up two scrolls of Haste(CL10)? They're only 500 gp... will that do?

HoloGnome
March 8th, 2016, 23:11
It sounds like it would help in 2 fights at a minimum, depending on how the party manages battles, buffs and delving.

HoloGnome
March 8th, 2016, 23:45
The other problem you may run into is how to identify anything you might find. As Pathfinders, you should always be prepared for any situation.

Lord Kavos
March 8th, 2016, 23:58
I didn't think you could buy scrolls with a cl other than the minimum (unless they are on a chronicle of course)

HoloGnome
March 9th, 2016, 00:06
You can't. Any scroll of Haste that you buy that is not some upper level chronicle item is going to be CL5 (or 5 rounds of haste) and will cost 375gp or you can get a scroll with 2 copies for 2PP (750gp equivalent value, as normal and as implied in LK's post above).

(I am assuming the CL6 Barkskin comes from a chronicle, of course.)

xazil
March 9th, 2016, 00:30
Note that Ulheim can't use a Scroll of haste except through UMD as its a spell completion item and his UMD isnt up to doing so reliably. He unfortunately doesn't have access to a wand. He could cast it on himself, which is sad versus the group buff.

Of course Rebecca could load up her 4th with blessing of fervor for clerical haste goodness.

GM BK
March 9th, 2016, 00:32
blah... well that's lame... sometimes i wonder about the logic behind their rules... i earned the gold, i should be able to spend it as i please.

xazil
March 9th, 2016, 01:05
For the items/detect magic Ulheim can purchase a Wand of Identify which gives that a good shot and is something I had considered before.

Lord Kavos
March 9th, 2016, 01:27
We should all make sure we have some mobility functionality also (fly for instance) - we have an alchemist so have some ranged blasting, but better make sure we each have ranged options as well ( Ulfgar will buy a heap of javelins & has QuickDraw)

HoloGnome
March 9th, 2016, 01:51
BK: Imagine what havoc you could wreak with upper level spells and high caster level scrolls. (ps. I think that's why it's not allowed. ;) )

X: Wands of Identify and Blessing of Fervor are always good choices for any party.

LK: Fly is good. Also, I know you are a Longstrider hound. Expeditious Retreat and Heightened Awareness are also great, generic individual buffs.

Now wait...here's one...who's casting Message? :D Not the Alchemist, the Druid or the Cleric! Well...UMD for CL1 scroll and 1 target. It's only 25gp...better than a sharp stick in the eye (which might also happen in this one). Hehe.

GM BK
March 9th, 2016, 02:54
Meh... it's just a few extra rounds... hardly game breaking... plus, it's not like they're throwing buckets of gold at us... i can barely afford the gear i need. if someone wants to dump an excessive amount on consumables, then they won't have money for gear that will help them in the long run. kind of self balancing IMO...

but for what it's worth, i've bought the two scrolls of haste for 2 Prestige, plus 3 scrolls of lesser restoration and resist energy(10). i've also got plenty of the standard consumables that i'm more than willing to share. That leaves me with about 2300 gp... which i'm ok with spending if there's something we really need, just let me know :)

xazil
March 9th, 2016, 03:03
Ulheim has wings so he can fly for 6 or 7 fights in a day. He tends to use enlarge + reach weapon + fly to get to annoying things. Also has a wand of longstrider he can pass out to anyone with the UMD/spell to use.

Oh, and Ant Haul for those with strength problems.

Lord Kavos
March 9th, 2016, 04:25
Ulfgar is a potion skuller so I guess his gp to level is already screwed...

Lord Kavos
March 10th, 2016, 23:37
And yes the cl 6 barkskin potion is on his last chronicle

HoloGnome
March 11th, 2016, 00:16
Cool. I am also pretty much ready to go. Some additional review, perhaps. :)

HoloGnome
March 11th, 2016, 20:42
So - I think I'm ready to go. Please make sure you have your characters posted or emailed to me by today. Thx!

HoloGnome
March 11th, 2016, 21:09
I have loaded:
Ulfgar, Dregga

Waiting for:
Rebecca, Karsh, Ulheim (can't find email)

Sam: I will need yours after Emerald Spire tomorrow, so no worries.

HoloGnome
March 12th, 2016, 03:55
I have all the characters loaded except Karrack, who will get an update tomorrow, as above.

kwarner - please check Rebecca. I emailed you. It looks like you chose Angel-Blooded (+2 STR/+2 CHA), so you get Alter Self instead of Daylight and Heal/Knowledge Planes instead of Diplomacy/Perception. Also, her sheet should indicate her bloodline on the Abilities tab and note her specific racial bonuses.

Edit: Never mind - I miscounted because of sheet update issues. However, double-check your hp. It looks like they should be 45 with a BoMC+2.

HoloGnome
March 12th, 2016, 20:37
Sam - I sent your ES8 chronicle with the Thundering upgrade to your Battleaxe. Let me know if you need any changes. You are now level 7 going into Bonekeep 1. Please update and post Karrack/7. Thx! :)

HoloGnome
March 12th, 2016, 20:57
The server is up.

Sam Guerra
March 13th, 2016, 00:14
Here is updated Karrack, went with flaming instead of thundering same cost. also added adaptive to mw composite longbow

GM BK
March 13th, 2016, 00:54
RAWR! Here we go!!

Sam Guerra
March 13th, 2016, 08:05
let me know if i need to deduct any gold to help with Dreggo

GM BK
March 13th, 2016, 08:09
It's all good, I got it covered. Thanks! GG! :)

HoloGnome
March 13th, 2016, 08:45
Awesome game, guys! :) Really interesting and memorable!

GM BK
March 13th, 2016, 08:46
Memorable Indeed! Definitely in my top 5 PFS list!

Lord Kavos
March 13th, 2016, 10:19
Thanks HG, enjoyed the game, thankful my connection dropouts didnt happen at a crucial moment (though the first one meant I wasnt sure if I was alive or not when I got back in)

HoloGnome
March 14th, 2016, 21:31
Hehe - yeah. :D

OK - group 2! When do you want to do your run on the lower subtier?

Also - we are looking for 1 more player for this next run on the lower sub-tier (3-4).

Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1756)

Any volunteers?

Everyone in group 1, the "no-pregen party," is still alive (albeit with 2 recoverable deaths and 1 barbarian barely saved by rage and raging vitality, plus other serious injuries and using up nearly an entire CLW wand worth of charges). They almost had an epic win, but, in the end, had to retreat! However, overall, they were very successful! :)

bigboom
March 14th, 2016, 22:06
I don't have any characters in the level 3-4 range, so I'll be going with a pregen.

As for timing, I won't be able to play this week and weekend.

Here's my timing for next week:

Mar 21 - 24: I can start at 9AM EST, give or take an hour. This probably won't work with most people though.
Mar 25: I can start at 9AM EST and am free the entire day/evening after that.
Mar 26: I'm free all day/evening
Mar 27: I can start at 2AM or 3AM EST but can't commit to a start time after that

JWMK
March 15th, 2016, 16:05
HG - Thanks for putting together such an amazing PFS experience. For me, it is probably my #1 most memorable PFS scenario.
Who's up from our group for keeping themselves at Level 7 to take in Bonekeep Level 2? :) It was great playing with you all, and hope that at least some of you consider it.
As for me, Sign me up!

GM BK
March 15th, 2016, 20:16
HG - Thanks for putting together such an amazing PFS experience. For me, it is probably my #1 most memorable PFS scenario.
Who's up from our group for keeping themselves at Level 7 to take in Bonekeep Level 2? :) It was great playing with you all, and hope that at least some of you consider it.
As for me, Sign me up!

Already planning on it :) Hopefully i won't die... twice... this time :)

HoloGnome
March 15th, 2016, 20:55
Hey JK - Thx! :) Glad you had a great time! It was quite a harrowing delve, indeed!

I have fully reported the adventure for Party #1 and you should all now have your chronicles.

Also, I will create Bonekeep #2 on the calendar and invite all of you.

cmdisc
March 15th, 2016, 23:00
I've signed up on the calendar. This will all depend on times. As with bigboom, I can do the 21st - 24th. But the 25th is Good Friday and I'm busy that afternoon/evening, the 26th I may be in a game that day already, and the morning of the 27th is Easter Sunday and I'm busy with family. After that things free up a bit until the CON.

I can bring along a 3rd level for this. My options are a Tengu Monk (Zen Archer) or an Ifrit Bard (flamedancer). The first's job is to shoot things with arrows. Pretty straight forward. He can also scout with some decent Perception and Stealth. The second's job is to activate his Wand of Obscuring Mist and then sing to allow party members to see through it without penalty. ;) Toss in some bardic knowledge and he might dig up some info on things with some decent rolls.

HoloGnome
March 16th, 2016, 00:05
OK - great - I've added you. Even though it's a 3-4, I would recommend 4th, but it's up to you. I will put up some times after I figure out my schedule.

Also, if anyone is interested, in this game, Pregen/4's are allowed.

JWMK
March 22nd, 2016, 06:08
HG - Any chance we could try to fit in Level 2 before FG Con? On the same weekend I have a local con, and there are 2 scenarios that Karsh has been waiting for (one is a multi-table) and would love to fit them in, but only if he gets Bonekeep under his belt... :)

I know you are super busy, but thought I would throw it out there to see. Appreciate all your efforts as always!

JWMK

HoloGnome
March 22nd, 2016, 07:25
Seems unlikely...I have too much other prep to do.

JWMK
March 22nd, 2016, 07:34
I know you are super busy, but thought I would throw it out there... Good thing about multi tables is you don't out level them... :)
Bonekeep is my priority so Karsh will be enjoying some much needed R&R in the Restful Pathfinders Lounge (making good use of the PP spent on it)...

JWMK

HoloGnome
March 22nd, 2016, 12:55
Yeah - sorry. It's not totally out of the question, but I have to do various levels of prep on 8 scenarios between now and then and Bonekeep would be 9. So, it may have to wait until after FGCON.