PDA

View Full Version : Lost Data Restore

Kulis
December 30th, 2015, 08:20
Hello guys!

I logged in to FG this evening and the only thing that loaded up was the images for my campaign, everything else was lost. I did a search here in the support forums and was able to reload from a backup that took place the day before. Unfortunately that didn't cover any of the changes made to my campaign from the previous nights session. So for the tech guru's here, the data must be somewhere. I loaded a db.backup file from 12/28/2015 at 3:38pm. I had a session on 12/28/2015 from 7pm until 1am on 12/29/2015. A lot of data was added to the campaign last night, any idea where I can find that?

I did have a pc crash and I did receive a message from FG when I logged in, I just clicked out and loaded, didn't think much of it. I won't overlook error messages again in the future.

Thanks

damned
December 30th, 2015, 09:49
If you have a windows volume shadow copy that is running it may have a copy in it but otherwise I think you are stuck with your version from backup...
You can probably get up to date character sheets from the players using Manage Characters before they reconnect to you again but thats about it...

Kulis
December 30th, 2015, 16:20
I checked my backup on my external hd and it matches what I have on my pc. I do have a db.backup from 12/29/2015 at 3:33pm (before my pc crashed) that is only 320 kb (much less than the 1,531 kb db.backup from 12/28/2015. Is there a way to merge these two files? I haven't loaded up the smaller file, just curious if it might have had the changes I lost. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kulis
December 30th, 2015, 18:43
Solved my own problem on my end. I forgot to check Acronis (my backup software) and I was fortunate to have the db.xml backed up at 3am on the night of my session, so all of my campaign information is still there. I just recovered it and boom skaka laka technology for the win!

Thanks!

damned
December 30th, 2015, 23:18
boom! cant reccomend you have good backups highly enough. not just for FG but for all that important stuff on your computer. good work.

Trenloe
December 31st, 2015, 04:28
Just be careful if you use live/incremental backups/cloud sync software directly on the FG live data directories - this has been known to cause corruption of the campaign files.

When does Acronis run? If it runs regularly and is backing up your campaign database (which it sounds like it is) be careful that it doesn't do this backup while you're running FG.

Kulis
December 31st, 2015, 04:54
3am nightly. Never played past 130am. We are done before the backup starts. I have it going to an external and also to the cloud.

Trenloe
December 31st, 2015, 04:59
Cool, even though you've finished playing, make sure FG is closed for the backup.

Kulis
December 31st, 2015, 07:55
Copy that!

JustinFreitas
March 6th, 2018, 18:26
Casting Resurrection on this thread (yes, I spent the 1000gp on component costs) to add a brief comment. :) I ran into the campaign database corruption with Acronis the other day. To ensure that this won't happen going forward, I added a command to close Fantasy Grounds just before the backup starts. This can be done in the backup options, in the advanced section under "Pre/Post Commands". In that section, enable the 'Use custom commands" checkbox and then click the Edit button by Pre-command. In the Command box, type "taskkill" (without the quotes). In the Arguments field, type "/IM FantasyGrounds.exe" (without the quotes). Check the "Do not perform operations until the command's execution is complete". I'm on Acronis True Image 2018. Hope this helps!

LordEntrails
March 6th, 2018, 19:39
Casting Resurrection on this thread (yes, I spent the 1000gp on component costs) to add a brief comment. :) I ran into the campaign database corruption with Acronis the other day. To ensure that this won't happen going forward, I added a command to close Fantasy Grounds just before the backup starts. ...
Good info thanks. My concern is does this mean is Acronis start while you are in the middle of an FG game it's going to close FG on you?

JustinFreitas
March 6th, 2018, 23:00
Good info thanks. My concern is does this mean is Acronis start while you are in the middle of an FG game it's going to close FG on you?

In my case, yes. But I have my backups run in the middle of the night, so if I accidentally leave FG open, I want it closed. You can also set Acronis to not run the backup if it detects an error condition in the pre command, so you could make a batch script that returns an error if FG is running to prevent the backup. Anyway, good luck... I'm just letting the thread know that there are options.

LordEntrails
March 6th, 2018, 23:19
You don't play in the middle of the night! How.. wha... well then *G*

All good info, just wanted to point out a possibility in case someone doesn't consider when their backup run and when they are using thing :)

Andraax
March 6th, 2018, 23:30
I use Carbonite. It has a "pause backup" feature. I leave it running all the time, then select "pause backup for 8 hours" before I start a game. I usually unpause it when I'm done, but if I forget, it will unpause automatically.