View Full Version : [FG-Daze] Resistance: Roman Briatain

Ellspeth
December 30th, 2015, 00:57
[FG Daze] Resistance: Roman Britain
Session time : 10 am EST https://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...21&p1=814&ah=4
Duration; 4 hours approx.
Calendar Link: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1754
Number of Players: 3-5
Short Decription: AD 44. The invasion of Britain by the Romans is under way, the Catalevauni, the most powerful tribe in the south was defeated, their king, Caratacus on the run. Tribal rivalries make Rome’s task easier, some surrender, others negotiate uneasy truces. The animosity between the Catalevauni, Trinovante, Iceni, and Atriate, still causes tension despite the mutual threat. The Druids watch with growing unease, send to the tribes, requesting aid removing secret Druid artifacts beyond the reach of the Romans. Thus a small band from rival tribes is brought together to aid the Druid Rhydwyn in reaching the coast where a boat will remove his treasure beyond the sea. This game is heavy on history, home brew session.
Genre: Historical intrigue
Newbie Friendly: yes, am new to GM'ing and comparatively new to RPG, and I am happy to pay forward all the help I was given by the members here.
Pre-requisites: Mic/headset FG, I have an ultimate license so I can accommodate all players.
(and thanks to all the supportive people here who encouraged me to jump in and give this a try)

Hector Trelane
December 30th, 2015, 02:53
Glad to see a historical adventure. Believe or not, people, history has some great stories even without layering on fantasy and super powers!

damned
December 30th, 2015, 04:47
Sounds awesome Ellspeth!

Wazoodust
December 31st, 2015, 16:48
I'm in, and I completely agree with Hectors statement, history doesn't need much if any embellishment at times

Ellspeth
December 31st, 2015, 19:56
I have confirmed both of you, I do have pre-gens for the game, Wazoo we have met but I haven't met yet Hector. If you have any questions before the game feel free to message me, or post on the game calendar comments.
I agree history has a wealth of adventures, the magic if of theater, what if this had happened instead of that? The period in this game we have only the barest details so even within reality there is plenty of room for speculation and imagination.
There are excellent guides for RPG that have already done the stats on Roman and Celtic weapons of the period. Ouch. and good luck.

Wazoodust
December 31st, 2015, 22:28
Is this 5E? I'd guess that from what I know of you, but I could be very wrong

damned
January 1st, 2016, 00:15
Is this 5E? I'd guess that from what I know of you, but I could be very wrong

Its full of Savage role playing goodness :)

Ellspeth
January 1st, 2016, 00:31
No Wazoo, a lot of what I have in this game I had to build modules for, and for a really new GM I have to say SW has some of the easiest tools and widest array of materials to create what I needed for this campaign. It is also the quickest bring those less familiar with FG and even RPG's into the game. I have run two variations of this as one shots for one of the groups I play with, but each one is different so those players can participate again if they like. I'm sorry, when I created the thread that was an oversight in the information.
I find all of the rulesets have played have their strengths and weaknesses depending on so many factors. For accurate historical material already prepared for Fantasy Grounds, the Ultimate Collection for Savage Worlds (I have all that have published) is still growing, right now covers The Roman Legion, The Celts, The Three Kingdoms, Mongols, Knight's Templar and the Pirates and Privateers is more than I can use it years, but I am watching for the Greek one to come out.

Wazoodust
January 1st, 2016, 01:45
Perfect !
I've been wanting to learn SW as it seems to be a really cool ruleset from what everyone says, just never got a chance to get my feet wet, might as well dive right in !

IrishBouzouki
January 3rd, 2016, 00:37
I'm interested, sounds like a great idea, never even heard of SW though but the concept should be great, signing up on the calendar page.

Ellspeth
January 3rd, 2016, 01:19
Welcome Irish and I have confirmed you. I have a couple of seats left but have the minimum required to run as it stands. This is great, SW is very easy to learn, for both players and GM, but at least you guys won't notice what I don't know. That being said, it is easy and fun.
As I said, this is heavy on history, within the year following the Battle of Medway if you want to get a jump on the setting. But these were times where much was never written down, what the Druids called magic we call science, and every superstition had it's beginnings in a difficult to explain reality. So you may find a few surprises for all that.

damned
January 3rd, 2016, 01:57
I'm interested, sounds like a great idea, never even heard of SW though but the concept should be great, signing up on the calendar page.

Ellspeth is a bit of a storyteller - I think you will find this a fun introduction :)
Savage Worlds is a great ruleset that has many different genres and settings built for it covering pretty much every rpg genre out there.

How is it you have joined FG 16 months ago but you are only just introducing yourself now?
Dont be shy - lots of games to be played!

Ellspeth
January 6th, 2016, 11:53
On Saturday morning I will have my table up and running 30 minutes before game time, and I will be available then if you want to talk, ask questions, or look over the character selection. I have also created players guides for the table library on the Ultimate Roman Legion and the Ultimate Celts for this campaign, and they are available to peruse and reference before and during the game. I made a point of including some interesting background facts.
There is still room for 2 more players, though we do have the minimum required to run, I look forward to seeing all of you Saturday.

Hector Trelane
January 7th, 2016, 02:12
Sounds great, and likewise, Ellspeth.

Ellspeth
January 7th, 2016, 20:58
Party survival odds just went up, but we still have room for one more. I am finding the Ultimate Roman Legion and the Ultimate Celts for Savage Worlds incredibly helpful, I put a lot of what I hope you will find are interesting details in the campaign library. But remember, those were perilous times full of superstition, to get safely to the coast there are perils different but as dangerous as the Roman patrols.

Ellspeth
January 8th, 2016, 18:53
LOL I just caught your guys comments on the calendar page on character choices. I left some brief notes on the pre-gens there for you. You are free to change name, gender or pics before the session tomorrow. If you see one you are sure you will want put the choice next to your name, first come first serve. I also have left some weapon choices open we will take care of before the game. Looking forward to it, I have such plans plotting for you. See you tomorrow morning.
P.S. Still room for one more player.

Hector Trelane
January 8th, 2016, 20:34
Boudicca--that is big doings! I've seen her statue at the Westminster Bridge.

Yes happy to play Rhydwyn. Will seek to log in ASAP tomorrow but that involves handing off babycare duties a bit early to the wife, so if I'm not in early and others are, feel free to reassign.

Quite looking forward to tomorrow...

Wazoodust
January 8th, 2016, 22:20
leave something easy for me, I'm a virgin to SW

Ellspeth
January 9th, 2016, 14:04
All right gentlemen,table is up, room is open, I can hear even when not at my keyboard. Still have room for one more if anyone hasn't found a game yet.

Hector Trelane
January 9th, 2016, 18:29
Screen grab from our session, underway right now!12577

Hector Trelane
January 9th, 2016, 18:30
Fun run... thanks for the game, Ellspeth--and all players too.

Ellspeth
January 9th, 2016, 19:36
Thanks guys I had fun,each time I run something it gets a bit smoother,your patience was appreciated. I hope those of you new to Fantasy Grounds or Savage Worlds enjoyed today enough to give them another try.

IrishBouzouki
January 9th, 2016, 20:12
Thanks Ellspeth and everyone. Fun time. Thanks for putting up with my noob-ness. Will continue with FG and SW. Wondering - is "Regime Diabolique" (Three Musketeers with dark magic?) a Savage Worlds game also? Similar to this one at all? I saw that as a supported ruleset.

damned
January 9th, 2016, 23:12
Regime Diabolique is very much a Musketeers inspired setting and is for Savage Worlds.

Great job Ellspeth!

Wazoodust
January 10th, 2016, 05:24
Thanks Elspeth, had a great time and learned a lot too. If you're ever looking for a player and I'm around I'll happily jump in

Skellan
January 10th, 2016, 09:09
I was a shame that this session clashed with another game for me, I would have loved to play this. Might you run it again sometime?

Ellspeth
January 10th, 2016, 13:53
I'll probably run another session of this time period at the FG-Con in April. I have only played RPG's for 2 years, and only ever on Fantasy Grounds. Most of the settings have been evolving for years, and indeed are some very complex worlds, full of detail, and for someone learning to run games (this was exactly the third session I have GM'd anywhere) the learning curve can be steep, so I opt to run games and settings I have better knowledge of which is history. As Hector noted earlier in the thread, even without fantasy the history of humankind is rich with adventure, exploration and challenges. I use Savage Worlds because it is a super easy ruleset to learn from both sides of the table, seems readily adaptable to any kind of setting. Further there is a growing collection of material for Savage Worlds, the Ultimate Savage World Collection that have done the all the work really, and because they are formatted for Savage Worlds easily transferred to the FG campaign. I will do one more at least in this setting because I have already created the supplements The Ultimate Roman Legion and Ultimate Celts into additional library modules, though eventually I will work on other historical settings as well. Yesterday's session went well, everyone who signeed up showed up, and it was fun so I am far more comfortable with running again for another group. I cannot thank all of you enough for your support.

Skellan
January 10th, 2016, 15:52
Yes, savage is really adaptable and an awesome storytelling tool. I love the idea of a purely historical game and will keep an eye out at FG con :)