PDA

View Full Version : Traveller (Mongoose Publications version)

MadBeardMan
December 30th, 2015, 00:39
Greetings all,

I've been working on the Traveller Core Rulebook for a little while. It's my first go at a Ruleset and so has been a large learning experience which has been seen with the many questions I've been posting!

Earlier today I completed the character sheet and all the scripting - that's ready now for testing and I'll be running a testing game session within a few weeks.

Attached are some screen shots of it, based on the CoreRPG ruleset and skin.

Damned has been kind enough to offer to make a skin for the ruleset, so the character sheet might move around a little.

So at this point I'm working on transferring the rules from the rulebook into FG. Hopefully once I've got Par5e behaving it'll be a lot easier than hand coding (I suspect I'll have to hand code some parts).

I also plan to create an example scenario that I'll attach to the Ruleset so it can be played off the bat (as they say).

What's left? A fair bit but here's a short list.

1. Create Core Rulebook and Space Craft Modules (Core rulebook underway)
2. Think about Encumbrance - it's a Dice Modifier in certain circumstances for certain skills...
3. Add Advantage and Disadvantage buttons to the desktop (like D&D 5E have)
4. NPCs character sheets
5. Combat Tracker
6. Check all dice show target number of 8, and show SUCCESS of FAILURE
7. Anything else that comes up in play testing!

I'm happy the character sheet is done, as a lot of the game is run via the skills, it's all automated from the sheet.

I'll keep this thread posted as I cross off the above lists. The Core Rulebook will take a fair bit of time, there's a lot of tables.

Cheers
Colin

Vulnero
December 30th, 2015, 02:54
WOw.... You are awesome!

DrakosDJ
December 30th, 2015, 04:54
This is looking great, can't wait to see it in action.

MadBeardMan
December 30th, 2015, 20:33
Folks,

Been having a number of issues with Par5e for the rulebook, but can manually fix most.

Here's a small example of what I've done this afternoon, getting to grips with Par5e over doing this manually - still quicker but would be nice if I could get the source code and fix these bugs.

Note this is all being done via CoreRPG but that's cool as most of the character sheet is built on top of it (as recommended).

Will crack on tonight converting more, one question if anyone can answer. If I use Par5e to export a reference manual, can I create tables, the screen shot shows a table that would be nice for it to allow you to roll.

Cheers
Colin

Trenloe
December 30th, 2015, 22:47
If I use Par5e to export a reference manual, can I create tables, the screen shot shows a table that would be nice for it to allow you to roll.
Page 12 (13 in the PDF) of the PAR5E CoreRPG documentation (PAR5E CoreRPG User Guide.pdf) says you can.

MadBeardMan
December 30th, 2015, 22:56
Hi Dude,

I watched the video from Xorn and he didn't do much except create an empty tables.txt (which I did) and didn't do any formatting and yet they were created and linked inline into the background.txt.

Doesn't seem to do that from the referencemanual though, so I've not got a clue how to link a separate table back into the reference manual.

Also page 12 says:

Output to Reference! No

I have also found the manual is wrong in a few areas, says the document should be called 'refmanual.txt' when in fact it needs the full name.

Cheers
Colin

damned
December 30th, 2015, 23:26
the Par5e doco - particularly for the CoreRPG section is not very up to date - there are a lot of errors and omissions.
have a look thru the 5e par5e thread for examples of tables - they do I believe work similarly...

damned
December 30th, 2015, 23:30
Actually the syntax for rollable tables is a bit different in CoreRPG Par5e.

[Step1.1] is the table or item its linking to in the example below...

#@;Saga Generator
##;Step0.1
#!;Step1
dice;d6
column;Step
row;1;1;[Step1.1]
row;2;2;[Step1.2]
row;3;3;[Step1.3]
row;4;4;[Step1.4]
row;5;5;[Step1.5]
row;6;6;[Step1.6]

#@;SG Tables
##;Step1.1
#!;Step1.1
dice;d6
column;Saga
row;1;1;Krongar and the Prophecy...
row;2;2;Krongar and the Caverns...
row;3;3;Krongar and the Hills...
row;4;4;Krongar and the Thieves...
row;5;5;Krongar and the Wizard(s)...
row;6;6;Krongar and the Battle...

MadBeardMan
December 31st, 2015, 00:48
Got it working, here's what I did, inside my reference doc I have it as:

#zls;
#zl;table;Agent Mishaps
#zle;

Within tables.txt I have:

#@;Traveller
##;Agent Mishaps
#!;Agent Mishaps
dice;d6
column;Saga
row;1;1;Severely injured in action. (This is the same as a result of 2 on the Injury table.) Alternatively, roll twice on the Injury table (page 37) and take the lower result.
row;2;2;A criminal or other figure under investigation offers you a deal. Accept, and you leave this career without further penalty (although you lose the Benefit roll as normal). Refuse, and you must roll twice on the Injury table and take the lower result. You gain an Enemy and one level in any skill you choose.
row;3;3;An investigation goes critically wrong or leads to the top, ruining your career. Roll Advocate 8+. If you succeed, you may keep the Benefit roll from this term.
row;4;4;You learn something you shouldn’t know, and people want to kill you for it. Gain an Enemy and Deception 1.
row;5;5;Your work ends up coming home with you, and someone gets hurt. Choose one of your Contacts, Allies or family members, and roll twice on the Injury table for them, taking the lower result.
row;6;6;Injured. Roll on the Injury table.

So when you 'parse' using Par5e it generates the client.xml.

<link class="reference_table" recordname="tables.tab_agentmishaps@Traveller">Agent Mishaps</link>

The 'reference_table' needs changing to 'table'

And then Volia! The table appears, ready for you to roll away....

So I need to go back and redo all the tables I've already done (not a huge issue). Just makes character creation that bit better.

Edit: Just noticed I need to change the column heading to 'Mishap' oops, it's late....

Cheers

MadBeardMan
December 31st, 2015, 01:01
So here's what I've got done today.

Nothing major, still fighting with Par5e (but winning now that I've got tables sorted).

Here's some screen shots.

I plan to go back and make all the rollable tables actual rollable tables, making Character Creation that more interactive.

You may notice the following chapters aren't listed:

SPACECRAFT DESIGN
COMMON SPACECRAFT
SPACECRAFT OPERATIONS
SPACE COMBAT

These will be put into their own module (to be with the core rules) unless they're small enough to fit into one larger ruleset, not sure yet.

What I'd like to be able to find out now, is if you can place images alongside text so within each character class I can display the various artwork that's part of the rules (not showing here for legal reasons).

Anyway that's me done, might get more done tomorrow - but it's New Years Eve and no idea what's happening.

Cheers
Colin

MadBeardMan
January 2nd, 2016, 00:35
Progress continues.

Managed to convert loads of text and tables.

Chapters:
TRAVELLER INTRO - Done
CHARACTER CREATION - Text/Formatted - have completed Agent, Scout, Drifter and Army for testing before I do the rest (all tables are linked)
SKILLS AND TASKS - Done
COMBAT - Done
ENCOUNTERS AND DANGERS - Done, problems with a few tables that'll need handcoding once rulebook is done, for column spanning and 2d6 rather than d12 etc.
EQUIPMENT - Underway - scratching head how best to do...
SPACECRAFT DESIGN
COMMON SPACECRAFT
SPACECRAFT OPERATIONS
SPACE COMBAT
PSIONICS
TRADE
WORLD CREATION

At the moment my thinking with Equipment is to list it all and then once I've got linked items working, drop in tables with the items all linked - ready to be dragged onto Character sheets.

Stuff still to think about:

2. Think about Encumbrance - it's a Dice Modifier in certain circumstances for certain skills...
3. Add Advantage and Disadvantage buttons to the desktop (like D&D 5E have)
4. NPCs character sheets
5. Combat Tracker
6. Check all dice show target number of 8, and show SUCCESS of FAILURE
7. Anything else that comes up in play testing!

I suspect I'll have to try and automate as much as possible, as traveller is all about add that DM, use that DM, adjust by that DM and so on.

So once I've solved Equipment I'll report back. @Damned is doing a fine job on a new skin for this ruleset....

Cheers
Colin

MadBeardMan
January 17th, 2016, 14:57
Afternoon,

Going to test the character generation tonight with my Test Group.

Made some progress over the past week but sadly work has got in the way, seems we employ an idiot that means I have to clean up his very crap code.

Anyway, here's some screen shots of Damned's fine skin that he's been working on.

80% of all text from the Rulebook has been formatted, of the 12 careers only 4 remain to be laid out and tables to be created (Scholar, Citizen, Entertainer and Nobility), all the others are done including the Psion.

Finally started to sort Equipment. I'm going to create a stand alone module (like 3.5E for spells) for Equipment, and split it into the various sections.

So will fix anything found tonight and then crack on!

Cheers
Colin

MadBeardMan
February 7th, 2016, 14:44
More progress has been made, been working on the Psi Talents and stuff for the odd character you might have for this skills....

Note these screens are WiP as the theme is being updated as well.

Plus I've been given some insight to better formatting features so going to go back and make things a bit better laid out in the Rules set.

MadBeardMan
March 4th, 2016, 10:37
Morning folks,

Just thought I'd update this thread. Been busy on some Cthulhu stuff recently, and sadly work has had be working 12 hour days (need to finish a project). However back on Traveller very soon.

Character Sheet is almost there. PSI Talents need the PSI Strength DM applying. Some Skin work is required for the new tabs.
Rulebook - All text is converted and due to new formatting features in 3.1.6, I'll be going back and tidying it all up, as well as creating a Character Sheet checklist.
Equipment - Basis work on the Equipment module has been completed, works with the character sheet, needs finishing up.
Scripting - still to be done, NPC's and Combat Tracker.....

Hoping to be done end of March, and then get into testing with my own group. I've written a sample scenario that I'll give to FG.

So I plan to post regular updates here once I'm back into the Groove.

Cheers
MBM

Bottulf
March 9th, 2016, 17:27
Great stuff, look forward to seeing this in play :)

MadBeardMan
March 9th, 2016, 17:31
Great stuff, look forward to seeing this in play :)

Cheers - I'll be posting some updates soon, been updating the ruleset and adding in pictures, once I'm done I'll spread the new screenies....then it's down to the hard part, scripting!

DickNervous
March 17th, 2016, 04:13
This looks interesting! If you need some help testing or even entering data, let me know. I've been wanting something like this for quite some time but never had the time to figure out the FG scripting stuff.

MadBeardMan
March 27th, 2016, 16:36
This looks interesting! If you need some help testing or even entering data, let me know. I've been wanting something like this for quite some time but never had the time to figure out the FG scripting stuff.

All the data is entered, now the fun begins - applying the new formatting changes to the existing Rulebook - then it's onto more scripting...

Here's a screeny of the work recently, got the next few hours to get more and more done (no kids today!).

Right, will grab a cuppa, some biscuits and crack on!

ctcharger
March 27th, 2016, 17:51
Would really like to play this. Along with D&D, this was my next go to role playing game...

MadBeardMan
March 28th, 2016, 19:48
Some good progress today, but gotta stop to join my Sunday evening (I know it's Monday - Bank Holiday here) game.

I've managed to get Character Gen sorted (Agent is fully done, waiting for comments on that from my test group before I roll out to the other careers), have updated Aliens and Skills and added pictures, plus sorted formatting etc.

Still a way to go, but after my game I'll continue for a bit.

Cheers

Mortar
March 28th, 2016, 21:03
Looks pretty sweet

MadBeardMan
March 29th, 2016, 00:39
Looks pretty sweet

Cheers!

Finished off the formatting of the Combat Section, and half way through the Encounters...

So tomorrow should bring Encounters finished, then onto Equipment....

But I need to sleep :(

jshauber
March 29th, 2016, 14:11
Looking really nice!!!

Hopefully I get a chance to actually play when you are done.

MadBeardMan
March 29th, 2016, 14:47
Looking really nice!!!

Hopefully I get a chance to actually play when you are done.

I *should* finish off the formatting changes this week, and then it's back to scripting. Going to update the Character Sheet so that it flows a bit better, and I've decided that Psi Talents will not work like skills, but more like Spells, so you'll drag them into the sheet.

Plenty to do, but hoping for end of April for beta-testing it.

MadBeardMan
March 30th, 2016, 01:31
Got some more done this evening, alas it's 1:30am and I gotta get some sleep cos I'm in work in 7 hoursish.

Managed to finish off the Encounters and Dangers section, and almost finished the Equipment section.

Here's a screeny:

So tomorrow, finish Equipment, start to format up the Spacecraft Chapters...that leaves Psionics, Trade and World Creation.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
March 31st, 2016, 00:32
Greetings,

Got more done that I thought I would tonight!

Here's a screeny:

Equipment chapter is finished, and I'm about 40% of the way through re-formatting the Spacecraft Chapters (Design is all done - going through Operations now).

Should be done for the weekend, so I can then focus on the scripting. I'm revising Psi-Talents and tidying up the character sheet.

Cheers
MBM

hawkwind
April 4th, 2016, 12:30
this looks great and its for the latest version, if you need any volunteers for UK friendly times play testing......

MadBeardMan
April 4th, 2016, 12:32
this looks great and its for the latest version, if you need any volunteers for UK friendly times play testing......

Hi Chap,

It's for the 1st Edition (as they now call it) as I started this last September.... I will though be doing the latest edition once this has been finished as I have a lot of the adventures for 1st Edition that I'd like to play.

Cheers

TriOpticon
April 6th, 2016, 01:22
Just wanted to say thanks for doing this! I look forward to seeing it in action.

MadBeardMan
April 6th, 2016, 01:24
Just wanted to say thanks for doing this! I look forward to seeing it in action.

Not a problem! Just wish I had a time machine.

The Rulebook is all formatted, just fighting with Equipment at the moment, then need to get NPC's sorted, then Combat Tracker... and then we're in Beta.

Just doing a CoC module but should be clear in a few days and back onto this baby!

I also plan to convert 2300AD, and then the new Edition Traveller, plus a number of adventures I have for 1st Edition.

Vackipleur
April 8th, 2016, 12:02
I also plan to convert 2300AD, and then the new Edition Traveller, plus a number of adventures I have for 1st Edition.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/colorslive/jpg_512x512/1421666-_648pO7AO7U04nov.jpg

TriOpticon
April 8th, 2016, 12:35
My thoughts exactly, Vackipleur!

MadBeardMan
April 8th, 2016, 12:42
Haha, well I built a new PC up this week, *should* be all working now - not that my last one was slow.

So tonight I'll post where I am....

MadBeardMan
April 11th, 2016, 22:11
So then, the hard work is done - almost.... all sections have been re-formatted and I've finished doing that ardious task.

Here's a picture...

So what's left:

Make sure all the tables work..... complete Common Spacecraft (will find out on Thursday what my test group think of the new rulebook etc, if all is good will complete the Common Spacecraft).

Just scripting work now really, need to find out why I can't link something as well. So next up, going to get the Character Sheet 100%.

Sadly I'm in London this week away from my PC... but there will be more updates coming soon after.

Cheers

soulwind
April 14th, 2016, 21:53
That looks great. I don't suppose you're planning on a T20 version, are you? lol

MadBeardMan
April 14th, 2016, 22:26
That looks great. I don't suppose you're planning on a T20 version, are you? lol

Erm not at this time, didn't even know a T20 version existed! Have you got a nice link.....

Finished all the tables and careers, found a small issue as the FG tables can use negative rolls....

MadBeardMan
April 14th, 2016, 23:37
So the rulebook is done... now onto NPC's and I'll be updating the Character sheet as well in the next week.

Looking for ideas for NPC's - what kind of data will people want?

For me, was thinking:

Name
Race
Homeworld
Abilities
Skills
Equipment
Background
Notes
Picture & Appearance

Anything else?

Cheers

MadBeardMan
May 4th, 2016, 00:27
Time to sleep but got NPC's 99% done.

Here's a screenshot of them:

All I have left to do now is make sure if they're locked that all fields are not editable, and that you can add a picture on the second tab.

When setting UPP on the field leaving action, it will generate the Stats and the MOD's. If you edit a Stat it will generate the MOD and rebuild the UPP.

Note that I added 'Age' as well.

So this means next I'll re-update the Character Sheet and finally tidy it, then we're back on Equipment.

Once that's done it's Combat Tracker and then we're ready for Beta I think.....

Not too long as focusing on this 100% at the moment.

Cheers

TriOpticon
May 4th, 2016, 01:04
Excellent!

MadBeardMan
May 5th, 2016, 00:41
Sleep time again here at MadBeardMan Towers.... but tonight.

So this is what I've got finished tonight:
Appearance tab all working - I'll tinker with the size and then post what the best size is.
Skills linking correctly, so Gun Combat 2, will roll 2d6 and add the modifier of 2!
Fields lock down so you can't edit.

Things left to do with NPC's - look at what happens when you share to players....
Tidy up the visual appearance (sort borders etc).

But onto Equipment pretty much now as I'll tinker with Character sheets when I get stuck/only have 30 minutes.

Cheers

Blue Haven
May 6th, 2016, 21:10
Amazing job friend :)
Keep on the good work :)

MadBeardMan
May 6th, 2016, 22:34
Amazing job friend :)
Keep on the good work :)

Cheers for the nice words.... back on it soon, going the try and finish the Equipment tonight.

Col

MadBeardMan
May 7th, 2016, 01:36
Ok folks, it's 1am calling it a night.... got equipment pretty much sorted... just need to figure out to sort it by Tech Level.

Here's some pictures of the finished NPC's sheet and the Armour list.... tomorrow I'll get Weapons done, and then the other equipment stuff.

Cheers
MBM

dmkevin
May 7th, 2016, 12:58
Great job, you'll have lots of people wanting to play!

MadBeardMan
May 7th, 2016, 15:33
Great job, you'll have lots of people wanting to play!

This is great to know. I've been working on this since September and I (being daft) assumed I could do it pretty quickly. It's a rather large job doing a ruleset, but I'll be making great use of this myself - love Traveller.

Back now working on Equipment, going to get the order sorted (so it orders alpha and then by Tech level).

Cheers

TriOpticon
May 7th, 2016, 17:14
And remember that it is always 9am somewhere. :)

Looks great still.

MadBeardMan
May 7th, 2016, 17:20
And remember that it is always 9am somewhere. :)

Looks great still.

That is true. Once I get this 'out' I'll carry working on it, tweaking and making better and better - just need solid, good and honest feedback from you good folks!

I've been having floorplans and some tokens drawn to go with the ruleset, more on that once I'm into the Combat Tracker!

Cheers

Trenloe
May 7th, 2016, 18:43
Ok folks, it's 1am calling it a night.... got equipment pretty much sorted... just need to figure out to sort it by Tech Level.

Here's some pictures of the finished NPC's sheet and the Armour list.... tomorrow I'll get Weapons done, and then the other equipment stuff.

Cheers
MBM
I really like the notes page of the NPC sheet. Is it easy/possible to share just the NPC image with the players? Or do you have to share the whole NPC?

This looks quite similar to the Call of Cthulhu NPC - which allows sharing of just the NPC appearance tab, which contains an image (token) and some descriptive text. Is the functionality the same? (Note: the CoC ruleset looks to share just the appearance tab, but if the players close the NPC record and re-opens it they see the stats as well).

It would be nice to be able to easily share an image of the NPC and some basic descriptive text, keeping some GM text/notes secret.

MadBeardMan
May 7th, 2016, 19:43
I really like the notes page of the NPC sheet. Is it easy/possible to share just the NPC image with the players? Or do you have to share the whole NPC?

This looks quite similar to the Call of Cthulhu NPC - which allows sharing of just the NPC appearance tab, which contains an image (token) and some descriptive text. Is the functionality the same? (Note: the CoC ruleset looks to share just the appearance tab, but if the players close the NPC record and re-opens it they see the stats as well).

It would be nice to be able to easily share an image of the NPC and some basic descriptive text, keeping some GM text/notes secret.

Hi Chap,

Interesting idea.

I could add a GM notes section on the main page so that's all hidden, and allow the GM to share the appearance/notes tab like in CoC. I'll have a look at how CoC does that then!

Cheers for the good ideas.

MadBeardMan
May 8th, 2016, 01:15
Right, calling it a night again.

Been working on Weapons and their structures - pretty much there, so I'm happy. The issue is that not all fields are relevant for all weapon types, ie a Staff doesn't need Magazine or Ammo Cost.... so need to work out if it's possible depending on empty data etc...

Still it's good enough I think, any thoughts please.

Alas I'm in London for work first half of next week, so tomorrow nights work won't be such a late session.

Still need to allow these weapons/armour to be dropped on the character sheet, so that's what I plan to do next.

Cheers

Blue Haven
May 11th, 2016, 13:01
Sorry to ask this but is this going to be a paid ruleset or you will release it in the wild for free?
One more time, sorry if this is a stupid question :)
Big Hugs.

MadBeardMan
May 11th, 2016, 13:06
Sorry to ask this but is this going to be a paid ruleset or you will release it in the wild for free?
One more time, sorry if this is a stupid question :)
Big Hugs.

Not a Stupid Question.

It's being done for Mongoose/FG so will be paid, but I'm hoping it'll be cheap as it's now the older set of rules, all depends on the license cost I'd think.

Hugs are most welcome, big ones more so!

I shall be adding a small tester adventure as well, as there isn't one in the rulebook, plus I'm trying to get a friend to draw some tokens for it as well....

Cheers

TriOpticon
May 11th, 2016, 13:54
And I think you will have several buyers lined up when it is released.

MadBeardMan
May 11th, 2016, 13:57
And I think you will have several buyers lined up when it is released.

That would be cool. As long as I get enough for a beer or 2 then I'm cool, it means I can bring my age old Traveller into this century!

Note that Beta players will be required, so I'll be asking FG how to go about this. I'm back in the groove in a few hours, going to make sure the rest of the Equipment can work by 'drag and drop' onto the updated Character Sheets. JPG sent me an easier way to filter gear so going to try that as well.

It's getting close, most formatting is pretty much done, just need to get scripting and that's just time...

Cheers

Blue Haven
May 12th, 2016, 20:20
Thank you for your answer :)
With a work like that, you earned them (i mean the hugs) :P
Stay strong friend :)

MadBeardMan
June 1st, 2016, 19:41
Been super busy with work and personal life but had a few days back on this.

Equipment is now 95% done. All data is entered (just a few niggles but nothing major) and looks like the data structure all works.

Here are some screen shots.

All the equipment can be dragged and dropped onto the character sheet and all Weapons/Armour get listed on the front of the sheet. All pop-up windows (via Shortcuts) are pretty much done, doing some final edits on these (you may notice the Dagger has 2 lines for example), but it's pretty much there.

I'm also deciding on how best to let you add custom weapons/armour, I have an idea as the data structure has a 'RecordType' - 1 indicates Armour, 2 - Augments and so on until 10 - Weapons. Like Mass I might make this appear for you to edit.

Sorry this is taking so long, this is my first ruleset for FG (the first of many) and I hope that people will like it. I don't plan to run away and I hope to update it, as I'll be working on the new edition post this and plan to re-use a lot of it.

Still there's stuff to come, but Beta time is getting closer.

I'm working on Encumbrance. Whilst this won't auto affect skills/characteristic rolls (as encumbrance means nothing in Zero-G from a 'too much to carry point of view') it will show current mass carried and the characters maximum.

I've also started planning the Combat Tracker. I'm going to strip it right back to the basics so that I understand it 100%. I'm about to google a few videos of other systems, see how they function....

Cheers
MBM

TriOpticon
June 2nd, 2016, 03:23
Looking good!

Samarex
June 9th, 2016, 13:04
Looking Good Can't wait to get a hold of it......
Will be putting my money into it.

MadBeardMan
June 9th, 2016, 15:52
Looking good!

Looking Good Can't wait to get a hold of it......
Will be putting my money into it.

Thanks chaps.

I've (once again) been away for work and had a birthday for my youngest over the weekend gone, so no real progress.

Encumbrance is 70% done. I'm calculating the weight of items, plus calculating the maximum however as the maximum can be increased by athletics skill checks then I'm not able to automatically get it to affect physical skill rolls... plus the way Traveller works, it's not that easy to know if a Skill roll is physical in nature that can be affected, ie picking a lock might use dexterity yet I don't see how carrying 2 extra KG would make that harder...

So there's going to be a status string, ie "Lightly Encumbered -1 DM".

I've also started on the Combat Tracker, it's in design phase still, but will soon be coding it.

Voxpopuli
June 19th, 2016, 20:40
Wow, love the work your doing! This will be super for our group of old pals.

RobP
June 20th, 2016, 21:59
I can't wait for this one! Finally, some official Traveller love! :D

MadBeardMan
June 22nd, 2016, 09:27
I can't wait for this one! Finally, some official Traveller love! :D

:)

Work continues on it this week, Combat Tracker is the current thing being coded. The sample scenario that I've written is having the maps done so it's all coming together, hoping July for proper beta!

Cheers

velshandru
June 24th, 2016, 05:38
Excellent work, well worth hugs and a pint or two! (Like many others, I have my fingers crossed that Mongoose will set it affordably.)
When you get to the beta testing stage, bear me in mind, both as a player and as another GM.

DrakosDJ
June 25th, 2016, 04:38
Everything looks awesome so far, can't wait for it to go on sale.

Are you adding support of Star System generation or maybe access to the online traveler map stuff?

MadBeardMan
June 25th, 2016, 20:40
Everything looks awesome so far, can't wait for it to go on sale.

Are you adding support of Star System generation or maybe access to the online traveler map stuff?

Evening.

Everything that's in the Core Rulebook will be in the Ruleset, so as far as Star System Generation - it's not in the Core rules (I believe it's in another of the black books (i'd have to check which)). A quick google shows updated rules on the Mongoose Forums.

https://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=118334

So let's just say when I complete the rulebook/ruleset I'll be open to suggestions on what to convert next as Traveller is one of my all time favourite games and I'd love FG to support all the content that my book shelves hold.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
June 25th, 2016, 22:30
Been puzzling with the CT this evening, so I decided to finish one of the smaller things on my ToDo list.

Encumbrance is now supported, well, not really... see just like a lot of things Traveller's Encumbrance can be affected by Athletics rolls, so the Encumbrance is an advisory DM.

It's to be found at the bottom of the Equipment page, and updates whenever new gear is added, or un-ticked from being carried.

So perhaps back to CT now, not sure it's getting late - I might instead work on one of the other 'todo's'.

Cheers

sebim
July 25th, 2016, 20:26
This is great! Any release date?

MadBeardMan
July 27th, 2016, 21:57
This is great! Any release date?

Soon, I'm running a beta game very soon, the rules are 90% now, just tweaking required. Once the beta with my group is done, I'm hoping that FG can get a beta group for it. I've stopped converting CoC modules to get it all done.

Cheers

velshandru
July 28th, 2016, 12:57
Great! Really looking forward to kicking the tires on this baby and converting a few modules of my own. But first, the bug hunt <g>.

Stx11
August 1st, 2016, 18:46
Fantastic work!

Can't wait to see this finished (and am happy to help beta test too!)

NoStick
August 6th, 2016, 16:45
Looks awesome! Can't way to try it out!

MadBeardMan
August 6th, 2016, 18:54
Thanks to all, not forgotten, life has just got in the way.

Here's a sneak peak at a map I'll be including with the introductory scenario that I've written.

This is the scenario I'm running, it's a standard distress call to a lab ship....bit of combat, skill checks, NPC's etc, all to test the system and such.

lordmalachdrim
October 2nd, 2016, 14:50
Nice. I am really looking forward to this.

MadBeardMan
October 8th, 2016, 15:29
Nice. I am really looking forward to this.

Me too, I've got one or two hurdles to solve (as discovered in my Beta games) then I'm going to do the final bits.

DickNervous
October 12th, 2016, 01:24
HOLY SMOKES!!! :D

This is what happens when I don't check the forums for months! Someone up and starts building a ruleset for Traveller which is awesome beyond belief!!! I can't believe I missed all this work you did! And it looks amazing! If you need more beta testers, sign me up. If you need help interpreting rules (I've been playing Traveller for a looooong time), please ask! Otherwise, tell me where to send my money! :)

A few questions and comments. I read through the thread pretty quickly because I am so excited, so please forgive me if I missed something.

System generation is in the Core Rulebook for MgT1e (pg 167). I think I saw somewhere that you weren't sure about that.
Will you be including all the stuff for Trade?
Will it handle space combat as well?
What is the best way to buy you a pint or five from the US?
Are there plans for adding more stuff from the other books such as Central Supply Catalog?

I was just talking with someone about this today because we were at TravellerCon in Lancaster, PA this past weekend and the other person didn't get to play in a game I ran that he wanted to. He lives in Georgia and I am in NY, so it's not like we can just meet somewhere. So this will be AMAZING! Thank you so much for your hard work!

tommenquar
December 27th, 2016, 02:03
Is this project still underway? or did it drop off the map?

damned
December 27th, 2016, 08:59
Ruleset development takes a long time in most cases.
I have spoken to the MadBeardMan recently and this ruleset is most definitely still progressing.

tommenquar
December 30th, 2016, 08:02
thats good to hear! im lining up for this one!

Waldbaer
January 2nd, 2017, 17:45
Hey guys,

I am new here at FG but I love it already. This would honestly be a ruleset I would look forward to. Also because I just recognizes that the Classic Traveller ruleset does not feature tables - and therefore I think it makes sense to wait for this great thing!

My regards thumbs up to MadBeardMan (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?34650-MadBeardMan)for all of the work he already did and for all what is still coming!

Bidmaron
January 2nd, 2017, 17:53
Welcome, Waldbaer. You will find this community very friendly and welcoming. And may I suggest PFRPG (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-3-5E-Pathfinder) as a starting point for you while you wait for Traveller? You will find many games in the looking for group (LFG) section (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?40-LFG-Looking-for-Group) of the forum. Especially great is Pathfinder Society (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?71-Pathfinder-Society-Games), where the games are generally shorter and much more friendly to pick-up games.

Pretty soon, Dulux will be along and steer you toward a host of video tutorials to get you started.

Waldbaer
January 2nd, 2017, 18:13
Thank you Bidmaron - I am through all of the videos already :) and I am on the verge to do a Campaign myself (as DM) Actually I am coming from roll20 to be honest, but I prefer the FG system. I think it is easier to do a good planning before starting the campaign and I simply like the tool and how it is configured (a bit "old style" etc. - no harm meant of course to anyone by writing such).

Nevertheless I would like to hear about the videos - maybe I missed some.

Bidmaron
January 2nd, 2017, 18:16
Since you are in a hurry, here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35878-FG-Newbie-LFG&p=311284&highlight=#post311284) is what he would have told you (I hope you don't mind, Dulux!).

Waldbaer
January 2nd, 2017, 19:05
Thank you!

MadBeardMan
January 8th, 2017, 18:48
Greetings All,

Thanks for all the thanks, this ruleset is very close, sadly life has caused me to fall behind, but I'll soon be picking up the final pieces of this.

I'll post in a few weeks when I can show some of the final bits complete.

Cheers

tommenquar
January 13th, 2017, 16:43
woot! i may have to buy you a few pints as i am only a few hours away. In the case you need anymore testers (if even still testing) sign me up!

MadBeardMan
January 13th, 2017, 17:30
woot! i may have to buy you a few pints as i am only a few hours away. In the case you need anymore testers (if even still testing) sign me up!

Sounds great on both counts, should be back on this very soon.

Cheers

Daleus
March 4th, 2017, 22:49
Just to add my 2 cents worth, as many have said, you are doing fantastic work; I can hardly wait for any sort of release with tires to kick. Also, I have never wanted to play any version of Trav other the classic LBBs - until now!

Ardem
March 5th, 2017, 06:50
Great work look forward to seeing this. Hoping to start a traveller game soon.

MadBeardMan
March 5th, 2017, 17:45
In the final stretch of the ruleset that FG asked me to convert - been a long road and then back onto this, fingers crossed in about 2 weeks!

Trenloe
March 5th, 2017, 18:36
...fingers crossed in about 2 weeks!
In time for you to run a Traveller game at FG Con! :)

MadBeardMan
March 5th, 2017, 18:37
In time for you to run a Traveller game at FG Con! :)

Haha, and when is the next FG Con as they're ALWAYS on the weekends I am away.

Trenloe
March 5th, 2017, 18:52
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36389-FG-Con-10-Friday-April-7th-Sunday-April-9th-2017

Run it Friday morning or Sunday night!

MadBeardMan
March 5th, 2017, 18:54
Haha see, I'm away that weekend, at work Friday and then away until the the 22nd, April is super busy for me as it's Festival season for us Doom Heads....

Trenloe
March 5th, 2017, 20:42
April is super busy for me as it's Festival season for us Doom Heads....
Any excuse! ;)

You'll just have to run a preview game - call it FG Con session 0! :D

MadBeardMan
March 5th, 2017, 23:19
Will defo be an FG Con session or 3.

Off to Roadburn in Holland mid April as doing a week in Belgium to drink beer ahead of that Festival as well.

hawkwind
March 8th, 2017, 12:32
looks more fun than FG-Con :)

damned
March 8th, 2017, 12:40
looks more fun than FG-Con :)

slap!

chumbly
April 6th, 2017, 18:42
On the matter of the demise of Baron Body
Col Mustard Retired of the Imperial Marines(chumbly) would like to
see Professor Plum of the Imperial Jump Drive Institute(MaxBeardMan) in
the Conservatory Observation Deck of the MV Princess Alealide with the
Traveller FG ruleset.

BTW the secret passageways on board the MV Princess Alealide are amazing!!!

Don't worry Lady Scarlet, Countess White, and Mr Green.. we will get to you for questioning...
BTW MR Green I don't care what Murky Cesspool of an obscure Imperial Civil Service Agency you work
for... you will be questioned... What are those blue latex gloves you are always wearing for anyway?.....

Chumbly:p

Just the latest plea for how are things going :D

MadBeardMan
April 12th, 2017, 00:08
Sorry folks, been stuck working on the WOiN (What's Old is New) ruleset for FG, so this has gone on the back-burner, but doing the WOiN has taught me loads of bits that'll make Traveller better.

So plan is to finish WOiN asap, then back onto Traveller.....

Wookiee420
May 20th, 2017, 07:42
i know this is a semi necro, but how is WOiN progress going?
Also can I pick your brain on how you make spacecraft work, like beyond the refman? That is if you ever figured out a method to do spacecraft combat. I would love to make an extension for the PF ruleset for something I am working on that needs spacecraft.

MadBeardMan
May 28th, 2017, 23:55
Have started my beta for my own group... let's say I need to make a number of changes because since I worked on the WOiN ruleset, I can make this ruleset even more awesome.

Fix - Party Sheet & FX button errors
Fix - Dragging of Equipment to the character sheet (broken for some reason)
Fix - Linking error, check Jack Armour window
Fix - Scout Career layout, there's a #th showing
To do - Remove skills list and allow skills to be dragged in from a list, add a default skill of 'Unskilled, -3'
To do - Add the extra descriptions to the Equipment windows
To do - Change the dice colours to that of the Dice palette for each user (see how Savage Worlds does this)
To do - Add Career as draggable items to Character Sheets (under Career History)
To do - Add Homeworld as a draggable item to the Character Sheet and add default skills for upto 2 Homeworld types
To do - Add modifiers onto the desktop and link to the dice rolls
To do - When rolling a skill roll, show 8+ as a [SUCCESS] and anything less a [FAIL]
To do - Introduction - change 'see page 40' to the link of the section.
Update - Step 4 of the Character Generation Checklist needs the wording changing, the PDF is also wrong.
Update - Career History, sort column widths so more space on Title and Event
Update - Check Aging Table

Phew, seems a list, but shouldn't be too bad, we aim to play again in 3 weeks, then we'll be playing an adventure....

Wookiee420
May 29th, 2017, 00:06
Sounds and looks awesome! I would love to help with anything you need or WOiN. What is release status of that?

MadBeardMan
May 29th, 2017, 00:13
Sounds and looks awesome! I would love to help with anything you need or WOiN. What is release status of that?

WOiN is now at the Combat Tracker stage, I'm pretty happy with Character Gen and the LUCK DICE pool (what a pain that was). With a pinch of salt, I hope to have the CT done this time next week and then into beta with my own group. We're not doing Ship Combat in the initial release, we're wanting feedback so will make adjustments and fixes before rolling out some bigger updates of stuff like that.

Now as for Traveller, it's going to be out after WOiN, but I love the system and neglected it far too long, so it's getting the odd day here and there, and as I finish up some other conversions (2 x CoC, 3 x 5E) I'll allocate more time to Traveller. I'm hoping Damned sees this, be great to get an update to the Theme.

NoStick
May 29th, 2017, 07:17
Keep up the good work! We can't wait to see the results! :-)

Martin153
May 30th, 2017, 21:27
I am starting a Traveller 2nd Ed captain on Sunday using MoreCore. Can't wait for this!

MadBeardMan
May 30th, 2017, 21:29
I am starting a Traveller 2nd Ed captain on Sunday using MoreCore. Can't wait for this!

Nice, I can't wait till I finish this for my Classic Group, then I'm going to update it for 2nd edition as it's got a slightly better system I think and looks more upto date!

Martin153
May 30th, 2017, 21:36
I have got the skills working and some combat working on the CT. Allocating Damage, boon and bane have to be done manually. I have created a character sheet for starships, but not sure how it will work in practice..lots of manual modifiers.. I will let you know how it goes...

The biggest problem is getting players...nobody seems interested.

MadBeardMan
May 30th, 2017, 21:39
I have got the skills working and some combat working on the CT. Allocating Damage, boon and bane have to be done manually. I have created a character sheet for starships, but not sure how it will work in practice..lots of manual modifiers.. I will let you know how it goes...

Sad on the finding players :( I know that pain, I wanted to play Victoriana and found 1 player amongst my rather large player base for VTT's.

The initial ruleset won't have starship combat for the Traveller, I want to get the basic game all sorted, once it is, I'll add the Starship combat and then when that's perfected work on what players want next, and so on...

Martin153
May 30th, 2017, 21:46
Well if you need any help, even its just entering text, let me know...

MadBeardMan
May 30th, 2017, 21:48
Well if you need any help, even its just entering text, let me know...

Cool thanks. I have enough players for this version, but for 2nd edition might be different...anyway working on the WOiN (What's Old is New ruleset, once that's finished it's full steam ahead on Traveller)

Trenloe
May 30th, 2017, 21:52
Look outside of the FG forums - on Traveller orientated forums. You'll have to then convince people to give Fantasy Grounds a go, but getting Traveller players to game on FG might be easier than getting FG gamers to play Traveller.

MadBeardMan
May 30th, 2017, 22:05
Look outside of the FG forums - on Traveller orientated forums. You'll have to then convince people to give Fantasy Grounds a go, but getting Traveller players to game on FG might be easier than getting FG gamers to play Traveller.

Btw I used your little 'exampleNumber' extension, works a treat inside Traveller (added it now to WOiN). (Btw have you checked your email :) )

Andraax
May 30th, 2017, 22:10
I have a group ready to play Traveller but I'm waiting for the Mongoose ruleset to be published. And I volunteered to beta test it, because I have a group of players already...

MadBeardMan
May 30th, 2017, 22:12
I have a group ready to play Traveller but I'm waiting for the Mongoose ruleset to be published. And I volunteered to beta test it, because I have a group of players already...

PM me here, so that I can ask the powers that be, about Beta testers, the more that Beta it the better I say. We started the beta at the weekend, I have a long list to sort, done some already but during the normal dev time (few hours a few nights a week) it's WOiN atm, Traveller at the weekends...

tommenquar
June 2nd, 2017, 22:07
How do i buy you a Pint? =P

MadBeardMan
June 3rd, 2017, 15:55
How do i buy you a Pint? =P

Using money in a pub ;)

Where in the world are you though... so I can make suggestions.

Been fixing some of the issues today whilst listening to the cricket. Seems the manner in which Equipment is dragged around has changed, so re-writing that at the moment. *Fixed it all* here's a screeny:

Anyway this is the progress today:
WORKING ON:
Fixing Encumbrance

WORK COMPLETED:
To do - Remove skills list and allow skills to be dragged in from a list, add a default skill of 'Unskilled, -3'
To do - When rolling a skill roll, show 8+ as a [SUCCESS] and anything less a [FAIL]
To do - Change the dice colours to that of the Dice palette for each user (see how Savage Worlds does this) (CANNOT BE DONE)

WORK TO DO:
To do - Add Career as draggable items to Character Sheets (under Career History)
To do - Add Homeworld as a draggable item to the Character Sheet and add default skills for upto 2 Homeworld types
Update - Step 4 of the Character Generation Checklist needs the wording changing, the PDF is also wrong.

I hope over the next week to complete all this as we're playing next weekend, I'm converting a scenario as well which I'll add to the ruleset (assuming I'm allowed).

Cheers

tommenquar
June 4th, 2017, 05:01
Using money in a pub ;)

Where in the world are you though... so I can make suggestions.

Been fixing some of the issues today whilst listening to the cricket. Seems the manner in which Equipment is dragged around has changed, so re-writing that at the moment. *Fixed it all* here's a screeny:

Anyway this is the progress today:
WORKING ON:
Fixing Encumbrance

WORK COMPLETED:
To do - Change the dice colours to that of the Dice palette for each user (see how Savage Worlds does this) (CANNOT BE DONE)

WORK TO DO:

I hope over the next week to complete all this as we're playing next weekend, I'm converting a scenario as well which I'll add to the ruleset (assuming I'm allowed).

Cheers

I am Currently in Suffolk, UK =)

MadBeardMan
June 4th, 2017, 22:41
I am Currently in Suffolk, UK =)

Lovely, a bit of a distance from myself, but not that far in the scale of space.

Did a little bit more today, fixing some errors in the parsing of the manual.

Will post an updated list in the week, back to WOiN though from tomorrow.

tommenquar
June 6th, 2017, 12:22
I also have a group on players that are waiting for this module. Has Beta testing started?

Andraax
June 6th, 2017, 13:22
When rolling a skill roll, show 8+ as a [SUCCESS] and anything less a [FAIL]

I got yelled at when I suggested this. Apparently using dice modifiers for task difficulty (while mathematically identical) is somehow wrong when it should be the target number changing... :-)

Trenloe
June 6th, 2017, 16:34
I got yelled at when I suggested this. Apparently using dice modifiers for task difficulty (while mathematically identical) is somehow wrong when it should be the target number changing... :-)
1) Please don't start that "discussion" again and derail another thread. Thanks.
2) In Mongoose Traveller version 1 (which is what this ruleset is), the target number for skill checks is always 8. Assuming you have a copy of the first edition rulebook - look at pages 48 and 49. First edition of the rules always has a target number of 8 for skill checks, and applies a modifier for difficulty (table on page 49). Second edition (the version you were discussing in another thread) has changed this to have a target number for task difficulty (page 58 of the second ed rulebook).

So, for first edition Mongoose Traveller, MadBeardMan is 100% correct in indicating success of a skill check on a 8+. Now, let's move on and not derail this thread please. Thanks.

Andraax
June 6th, 2017, 18:50
Please don't start that "discussion" again and derail another thread.

It was a joke, as evidenced by the smiley at the end. But I will shut up now.

AncientArchaic
June 9th, 2017, 06:27
MadBeardman, I'm currently in a WOIN (NEW) game outside of fg, and a friend is helping me acquire source material, if you need play testers I'm definitely down, as well i'd probably be writing a couple different settings or definitely interested in it.

MadBeardMan
June 10th, 2017, 14:26
Phew been away for work all darn week, back now, but back to my (now) 10 year olds birthday party, a gang of 9-10 year old girls and a sleepover, aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so coding tonight... and yes 8+ for Target Numbers in 1st Ed, plus on desktop modifiers. As for WOiN it's getting very close, anyway Traveller is just as close, some screenies of the updated data soon, I need to see if @Damned is ok to finish off the theme.

AncientArchaic
June 23rd, 2017, 01:04
Went through and did some reading: Pushing ship combat later or has your group gotten through that?

AncientArchaic
July 3rd, 2017, 04:43
@madbeardman If you get further on woin or if its in a state where it could be tested/run feel free to send a message my way

yondar
August 15th, 2017, 18:55
Is anything happening with this ruleset, any idea of timescales etc.

MadBeardMan
August 23rd, 2017, 20:26
Is anything happening with this ruleset, any idea of timescales etc.

Hello, yes it's still ongoing, I'm almost done with What's Old is New (thankfully) then onto this, no timescales as previously RL has come up and bit me. Soon I hope.

Also I'm speaking with Matthew Spange of Mongoose about this.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
October 6th, 2017, 00:16
i know this is a semi necro, but how is WOiN progress going?
Also can I pick your brain on how you make spacecraft work, like beyond the refman? That is if you ever figured out a method to do spacecraft combat. I would love to make an extension for the PF ruleset for something I am working on that needs spacecraft.

Ok first, WOiN is very very close, 3 items to kill off, but more testing happening soon. It's kept me in a dark hole for far too long, so many caveats within the rules and being honest, I didn't know enough of FG. I've learned a lot though and what I've learned is going to go into Traveller. It will now be known as Classic Traveller as Mongoose have had 2E out for plenty long enough.

Regarding the Spacecraft, that's yet to be decided, but seems we'll need a brand new Combat Tracker for vehicles, plus a Database for vehicles, so be that a spacecraft, a hummer, a boat etc. Need to think long and hard because one thing FG has taught me, learn the correct way first by taking your time rather than coding and hitting a wall.

Anyway assuming WOiN is in FG's hands end of this month, then November will be a hard at work on Traveller month. Need to see where I left off and then decide how to complete it, then I will be doing Taveller 2E.

lordmalachdrim
October 23rd, 2017, 22:03
Looking forward to being able to pick up Traveller.

MadBeardMan
October 23rd, 2017, 23:25

Excellent, WOiN is now with FG for the initial release so back to Traveller later in the week.

Cheers

Andraax
November 30th, 2017, 06:01
Any chance this will be done by the end of the year? I have some free time upcoming and if it's not likely to be done by then, I will develop something on my own.

damned
November 30th, 2017, 08:36
Its largely done but MadbeardMan is still concentrating on improvements to WoiN.
Largely done can still mean quite a gap to completion but the bulk of the work has been done.
To the best of my knowledge all the core mechanics/rolls are supported in the current MoreCore build.
Ive got some screenshots of the ruleset but best if they come from MadBeardMan.

MadBeardMan
November 30th, 2017, 12:16
As Damned said, it's pretty much done. The big issue is that Mongoose don't want the 'now' Classic version to be released, they want their current version. Still I am finishing this, all data is done, all character sheet actions are done, the CT remains.

WOiN is scaling back though now, doing updates every 2 weeks, after xmas will have more time as I'm quitting work and starting a new job where you aren't expected to do overtime, more time to code stuff.

damned
December 1st, 2017, 01:33
Yeah - you gotta release this version first.

MadBeardMan
December 1st, 2017, 17:41
ATTENTION

Been speaking to Mongoose about this.

They are now OK for me to complete the 'Classic' Traveller (which is what this release is to be called). After which I'll begin work on the new Traveller (Traveller 2E). I've agreed with Mongoose that ALL their current books (including The Great Rift) will come to FG over time.

I have also bought Traveller5 which I'll read through, so much Traveller all awesome.....

Before I go back to Classic Traveller, I've got a book conversion to finish for CoC, then an update for WOiN and a book for WOiN (book already converted). This should all be done within the next week, I'm aiming for Classic Traveller just before Xmas.

Huzzah

Vackipleur
December 3rd, 2017, 04:26
ATTENTION

After which I'll begin work on the new Traveller (Traveller 2E). I've agreed with Mongoose that ALL their current books (including The Great Rift) will come to FG over time.

Waiting that with impatience because I begin 'The Pirate of Drinax' next month with MoreCore :)

To the best of my knowledge all the core mechanics/rolls are supported in the current MoreCore build.

Even a drop the highest (roll 3d6 and drop the highest number) ?

damned
December 3rd, 2017, 05:17
Waiting that with impatience because I begin 'The Pirate of Drinax' next month with MoreCore :)

Even a drop the highest (roll 3d6 and drop the highest number) ?

Nope. No one has mentioned that mechanic previously. Can you provide more info. As much info as possible please.

Vackipleur
December 3rd, 2017, 23:22
Nope. No one has mentioned that mechanic previously. Can you provide more info. As much info as possible please.

It's like drop the lowest (/rolld #d#x#) but with the highest number dropped :)
For example, you roll 3d6, you get 3, 4 and 5 so sum will be 7.
You roll 1, 1 and 6, sum will be 2.

damned
December 4th, 2017, 09:43
Hi Vackipleur I will add that to the next MoreCore version. Probably a week or two away.

Vackipleur
December 4th, 2017, 21:56
Hi Vackipleur I will add that to the next MoreCore version. Probably a week or two away.

Great ! Thank you very much :)

Waldbaer
December 5th, 2017, 20:23
Great everyone - I myself did a FG module for Traveller but only in German and for private use as I have no rights to publish it etc. But I really appreciate this and am looking forward very much. Count me in as one of your followers MadBeardMan :)

A big HUG and thanks for the great work!

Andraax
December 27th, 2017, 22:50
This should all be done within the next week, I'm aiming for Classic Traveller just before Xmas.

Any status update?

MadBeardMan
December 28th, 2017, 13:00
Any status update?

Greetings,

I'm off-line a lot at the moment, taking some time off for family and stuff.... but. Yes, it's finished. I'm testing it in Jan, with thoughts on releasing as soon as my scenario is finished being run and any feedback is finished with. Then I start work on Mongoose 2E Traveller, got the green light from Mongoose who will provide me with a lot of support.

The 1st final test session is end of next week. I'll post feedback here. To start here's what 1e supports.

Character Generator (supported by the following data that can be dragged to the character sheet.)

Homeworlds (Auto adds the homeworld skill when dragged over)
Careers
Races (Characteristics are updated)
Skills
Equipment

The Careers also have all the required tables linked for skill rolling, mustering out etc.

I've also added the Checklist as it's own page, so this can be accessed easier.

The Alternate Character Generation rules are to be found in the Rulebook Reference Manual, nothing is automated for them.

Skills and Tasks
Skills - all skills from the core rulebook are available - plus you can create your own.
If skills are dragged over again, the Level is automatically increased by 1.
Skills may have the characteristic applied before rolling, thus changing the Dice Pool total
Dice rolled are automatically compared against a target number of 8.

Combat Tracker

Initiative rolls + Dex DM are autosupported (a GM will have to apply Tactics modifiers manually for the moment).
Weapon Attacks are supported, under the Main Tab on the Character Sheet, with attack dice + damage dice rolls being applied against a target if one is already chosen.

Misc

Desktop Modifiers +1,+2,+3,-1,-2,-3 are available for all
Desktop Quick Modifier buttons (Simple, Easy, etc) are available for all, these apply +6, +4 etc.
Party Sheet
Traveller Theme developed by Damned.

There are other things not listed above, but Starship Combat is being developed. I'm developing this for WOiN at the moment, hoping for roll-out in Jan/Feb. Once it's finished I'll port it over to Traveller. Even though I'll be working on 2E Traveller I won't drop this edition, it will get updates, plus would be great to see the community adding content to it.

Cheers
MBM

SerpentineOwl
January 3rd, 2018, 00:07
Thanks so much for this.

MadBeardMan
January 4th, 2018, 01:03

Cool, testing again this weekend, few things left to sort from the last game but nothing too bad.

Kertan
January 31st, 2018, 01:46
Howdy, I'm not usually one to bother a content creator but, I'll be going offline for a bit at the end of this week and have been watching this closely. I'd love to use the time to tinker with a Traveller module and prep for a game for when I am back.

How'd the test go? If someone if needed for further experimenting, I'd happily volunteer. Though I am quite a few time zones away.

presence
February 4th, 2018, 20:55
How is the release of the Classic Traveller (1E) rulesets/etc going to be done? In the store, or some other way? I'd like a link to where its offered, if possible.

damned
February 4th, 2018, 22:33
How is the release of the Classic Traveller (1E) rulesets/etc going to be done? In the store, or some other way? I'd like a link to where its offered, if possible.

It will be in the store.
It is being worked on in parallel to Whats old Is New and that is getting the majority of the programming time.

Andraax
March 7th, 2018, 18:15
Any updates?

MadBeardMan
March 9th, 2018, 20:05
Any updates?

Yes, very close, few niggles, very few niggles.... Will post back here in the midweek with an actual list of things left to sort, couple more days and I should break the back of the list, I just need to stop adding.

Jowzam
March 17th, 2018, 17:09
Awesome looking work! I'm just looking to start Traveller, very excited to see this upon release.

GamerDude
March 19th, 2018, 23:27
Just finished the entire thread, very excited (was member of the MI 2003-2014) and love “Classic MGT”.

any word on beta testing?

MadBeardMan
March 30th, 2018, 23:36
Evening all,

Been back on this baby this last week, doing the final tidyups.

If you follow me on Twitter (or Fantasy Grounds) I've been posting updates there.

https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan

Just finished tidying up Skills section, so now onto Psionics.

Cheers

GamerDude
April 3rd, 2018, 23:42
If you follow me on Twitter (or Fantasy Grounds) I've been posting updates there.
Cheers
UM... I’ve never had a twitter account (and personally don’t want one). Are you also going to post the updates here too?
Thank you

MadBeardMan
April 5th, 2018, 14:19
UM... I’ve never had a twitter account (and personally don’t want one). Are you also going to post the updates here too?
Thank you

Greetings, apologies for the delay been off ill for a few days.

Yes I'll post here, Twitter is just easier as I can cut and paste screen shots, so what I'll do is create a DropBox folder containing all the images and share here.

Cheers

MadBeardMan
April 9th, 2018, 18:46
Afternoon All,

Here's a link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie80d3ryf53vuom/AABYujbdyJgVSUMhNUvt0Tija?dl=0) to a DropBox folder containing all the images so far (and those I post onto Twitter), I'll update the first post in this thread with this as well with this.

Work done in the last week:

Updated Character Sheet, so that we have an Actions Tab - still might change things after the next play session
Skills system. Re-wrote the basic skills system
Skills system. You may now add your own skills and edit the skill description (supports formatted text)
Skills system. Unskilled is added to each character upon creation, and set at -3 it may not be deleted/edited
Skills system. When rolling dice the Chat Display has been tidied/updated to give a better/concise result
Equipment. Updated so that you can add your own equipment, and depending on the type, the fields will change
Equipment. Encumbrance has been updated to automatically calculate when adding/remove items and carrying/not carrying
Encumbrance. If Encumbrance is Light or Heavy the penalty is applied to any Physical dice roll
Desktop. Added Simple, Easy, Routine, Average, Difficult, Very Difficult and Formidable buttons to set the modifier
Psychic. Updated to work similar to the Skills system. Might put Psychic attacks in the actions tab
Actions Tab. Added new Tab to hold the Wound Tracker, and the Weapons attacks
Wound Track (on the Actions Tab). Remember to set these once char gen is completed. Each has a 'reset' button attached
Weapon Attacks. The desktop Modifier box, the +1, +2 etc modifier boxes, and the Task Difficulty boxes are now part of a Weapon attack description in the Chat Window.
Modifiers. Add in all the various modifiers to the desktop modifier pop-up window
More, lots of tidied up bits

Work left to do:

Psychic. Complete data updates/re-write. Decide if attacks should be placed in the Actions Tab
Combat Tracker. Scrap the system I had created, and re-write
Desktop Icons. Get the icons for all the data types added
NPC's. Add Weapon attacks
PC initiative - apply init penalty for weapons with Heft or Recoil

Now this might seem a lot, it is and it's not. I wrote the WOiN ruleset from which I can borrow a lot of the Combat Tracker from and things are pretty similar.

Also the reason to do all this work and re-write parts is the fact this ruleset will be the basis for the New Traveller edition, which I'll be working on straight after this.

Cheers,
MBM

tommenquar
April 10th, 2018, 14:00
Is the ship sheet included? Is this going to be only core or will supplements such as high guard and the LBBs be included in the build?

damned
April 10th, 2018, 14:40
Is the ship sheet included? Is this going to be only core or will supplements such as high guard and the LBBs be included in the build?

Im pretty sure its Core only.
One thing at a time.

MadBeardMan
April 10th, 2018, 14:46

This is only the Core Rulebook (Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition), the Mongoose New Traveller will have the Core plus all support books released over time.

I'm hoping that once this launches, others will convert the little black books, to add extra content. I will do a few myself (if I find the time) but my focus will be on New Traveller.

Regarding ships, there are no plans at the moment to include the ship sheet with the initial release, however I'll add it in a future update, as I'll support this ruleset like I am What's Old is New, plus any other ruleset I'll convert/create. Oddly enough I'm enjoying the ruleset coding....

Just finished adding Weapon Attack (actions) & Armour to the NPC character sheet.

Thanks,
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 10th, 2018, 23:48
Started in earnest on the CT, dropped back to the CoreRPG version and updating that (rather than updating my earlier version).

Should be able to get more done this week, but as usual, I'm away this weekend.

This is the work done over the last 24 hours:

NPC's. Add Weapon attacks (actions)
NPC's. Add Armour details
CT. Added basic CT, updated columns, added Wound Track

This is the work left to do list, I've added a few more minor items, now starting to flesh out the final list before it's over to FG.

Psychic. Complete data updates/re-write. Decide if attacks should be placed in the Actions Tab
Combat Tracker. Complete
PC initiative - apply init penalty for weapons with Heft or Recoil
Weapons. Add 'Damage Type' replace Range fields with Damage Type on the PC sheet/Actions Tab
Grids. Check Create/Delete on the right-click wheel
Heavy Weapons. Check they use their specialisation when dragging on the PC sheet
Armour. Add 'Effective Vs' to the Data and pop-up windows
Modifiers. Update attack rolls to take these into account

More tomorrow.

Cheers,
MBM

Note that Damage Type, is free text, I'm searching for 'Slug, Laser and All'. So a Gauss Rifle will be 'Slug' and any armour that protects against 'Slug' or 'All' will count, a Laser Pistol will be 'Laser' and so Armour with 'Laser' or 'All' will protect. Therefore Reflec Armour will only save vs Lasers.

TriOpticon
April 10th, 2018, 23:58
I needed a cigarette after all those pics. :)

MadBeardMan
April 11th, 2018, 00:00
I needed a cigarette after all those pics. :)

Ha, I should be calling it a night, it's midnight, but coding and early hours and all that... time for a drink, and then back to scripting the CT.

Jowzam
April 13th, 2018, 21:59
I just got my copy of the Traveller Starter Set and am eagerly waiting for this! Keep up the great work.

MadBeardMan
April 13th, 2018, 22:01
I just got my copy of the Traveller Starter Set and am eagerly waiting for this! Keep up the great work.

Nice, I got my Great Rift box set last week, not dared touch it incase it stops me from coding.

Been working on/off for the last few days on the Combat Tracker, it's around 70% done. I'm making the End/Str/Dex wound levels show up in different colours.

I'll be posting a fuller description of the CT later tomorrow if tonight goes to plan.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 14th, 2018, 15:47
Afternoon All,

So this is what I've worked on the last few days.

Combat Tracker. GM's form - Complete
Attack. Added the Mods to the Attack roll (ie +Aim, -Cover etc)
Attack. If the roll has Effect 6+ then it will make sure the 'Min Damage 1' is added to the Damage.
Damage. Checks for the Targets Armour and removes that from the Damage Roll, if that roll is 0 and the Min Damage is 1, then 1 piece of damage is done.
Wound Track. Added the Wound Tracks for both PC/NPC's (showing End, Str, Dex)**
Weapons. Added the Range so that it knows if it's a Melee Weapon, Range Weapon for Psionic Attack*
Grids. Check Create/Delete on the right-click wheel
PC Armour. If you're not 'wearing' the armour it will not show that on the Main Tab. If you 'wear' more than 1 piece of armour, it will add up the rating/protection.
NPC Armour. Removed the list, just added Armour and Protection fields (if they wear mixed armour, just add up the protection).

This is all that's left to look at, code etc.

Heavy Weapons. Check they use their specialisation when dragging on the PC sheet
Combat Tracker. Double check Client version.

* Psionic Attacks will not be part of Release v1.0.0. I still need the really think about how to make them work, so they'll be added soon after.
** Woundtracks. If first reduces End, then if there's damage left, it will see if Dex is > than Str, if so, reduces Dex. Each damage taken after that checks Dex > Str, if it is, it's reduced again. So it always reduces the highest attribute. If End and either Dex or Str are Zero then the PC is unconscious, if all three and at 0, then the PC is Dead.

So over the weekend, I'll continue - I was meant to be at the Yorkshire vs Essex County Cricket Game but the weather has again stopped the game being played.

Cheers,
MBM

Trenloe
April 14th, 2018, 16:18
I'm curious how you're going to handle the initiative potentially being modified from the base roll each round - dynamic initiative: reactions, recoil and hastening?

MadBeardMan
April 14th, 2018, 16:35
I'm curious how you're going to handle the initiative potentially being modified from the base roll each round - dynamic initiative: reactions, recoil and hastening?

Chap,

Not going to worry about that, the GM can just edit the init rolls for those kinds of things as I can't think of a simple 'way' to add those without adding an effects system in which Traveller pretty much doesn't use. For example Hasten is +2 to init for that round but then -1 DM to all rolls for that one round. That's a fair amount of work for that.

However for the New Traveller edition, I am planning on adding in the effects/conditions system that I wrote for WOiN.

At this moment my focus is to get this version out there so people can use it, play it, comment on what they like/don't like and like I've done with WOiN work on bugs and what people want.

Cheers
MBM

Trenloe
April 14th, 2018, 16:46
Fair enough. Makes sense. :)

MadBeardMan
April 14th, 2018, 18:02
The missus has told me it's time for dinner, it smells ace and tomorrow I reward her with a fry-up for breakfast.

Finished up a few more things,

Effects. Removed button from Desktop
Combat Tracker. Client version - removed the Effects button.

and here's what's left:

Plus as I wanted to give this weekend to finishing it off, I'm planning on adding:

Party Sheet - I know some people think these are so useful, I've never really used them, but if people want...
Spaceships - I'll look at adding the basic data for these, not sure how far I'll get though, but will defo look and start.

Right, my stomach is grumbling, back later.

Cheers
MBM

Moon Wizard
April 14th, 2018, 19:09
Technically, there's no reason to remove effects. In CoreRPG, they are just a way to add notes related to the temporary modifiers, and all the templates to support them are already built. Plus, if you decide to add specific ruleset support later, then the basics are already in place.

Regards,
JPG

damned
April 15th, 2018, 01:37
Technically, there's no reason to remove effects. In CoreRPG, they are just a way to add notes related to the temporary modifiers, and all the templates to support them are already built. Plus, if you decide to add specific ruleset support later, then the basics are already in place.

Regards,
JPG

I agree - they can always be used as labels even when there is no mechanical effect.

Valyar
April 15th, 2018, 12:01
Excuse me if already answered: does this rule set support the New Traveller from Mongoose?
https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller-1.html

chumbly
April 15th, 2018, 12:26
Excuse me if already answered: does this rule set support the New Traveller from Mongoose?

My understanding is this ruleset is only Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition. MadBeardMan (the developer) is kind of using this as a precursor learning set and a code base for for the later development of Mongoose New Traveller(2nd Edition) ruleset. Its his intent I gather from his posts to shortly follow up and shortly start the development of Mongoose 2nd Edition ruleset using this ruleset as a base for the 2nd Edition ruleset. see the following post MadBeardMan made in an earlier posting.

This is only the Core Rulebook (Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition), the Mongoose New Traveller will have the Core plus all support books released over time.

I'm hoping that once this launches, others will convert the little black books, to add extra content. I will do a few myself (if I find the time) but my focus will be on New Traveller.

Regarding ships, there are no plans at the moment to include the ship sheet with the initial release, however I'll add it in a future update, as I'll support this ruleset like I am What's Old is New, plus any other ruleset I'll convert/create. Oddly enough I'm enjoying the ruleset coding....

Just finished adding Weapon Attack (actions) & Armour to the NPC character sheet.

Thanks,
MBM

I hope MadBeardMan doesn't mind my answering your question for him. If he does I apologize.
Chumbly

MadBeardMan
April 15th, 2018, 17:27
Afternoon,

Just waiting to be called for dinner, but been speaking with Trenloe over the Initiative modifiers (hasten, dynamic, heft, recoil etc). As there's no effects in this version, a new column has been added to the CT (MOD) next to the Init. Anything entered here is added to the Init, but at the start of the next combat round, it's reset back to 0. Works perfect for Dynamic. I'm open to ideas on how to make it work better for weapon heft/recoil.

Now onto Heavy Weapons, then Party Sheet.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 15th, 2018, 20:38
Evening,

Back now for the rest of the night, unless the missus wants to watch Blade Runner 2049.

Sorted the Heavy Weapons, started on the Party Sheet - already got the basics working.

Should finish the PS tonight. I'll then look at Spaceships, if that's something I can do in a day I'll add it, if not I'll start to build a list of what's coming in future builds once the beta is released.

Cheers,
MBM

chumbly
April 15th, 2018, 21:54
Afternoon,

Just waiting to be called for dinner, but been speaking with Trenloe over the Initiative modifiers (hasten, dynamic, heft, recoil etc). As there's no effects in this version, a new column has been added to the CT (MOD) next to the Init. Anything entered here is added to the Init, but at the start of the next combat round, it's reset back to 0. Works perfect for Dynamic. I'm open to ideas on how to make it work better for weapon heft/recoil.

Now onto Heavy Weapons, then Party Sheet.

Cheers,
MBM

Just a suggestion, but maybe you might want to re-label the inititiative MOD label something like IMOD. itsa different beastie than the action/skill MOD, and relabeling it IMOD, might alleviate the confusions by the easily confused (gee we won't ever have any of those type people playing this ... will wee....?)over why when they change the MOD column next to Init, it isn't changing action rolls.

Chumbly

MadBeardMan
April 15th, 2018, 22:13
Just a suggestion, but maybe you might want to re-label the inititiative MOD label something like IMOD. itsa different beastie than the action/skill MOD, and relabeling it IMOD, might alleviate the confusions by the easily confused (gee we won't ever have any of those type people playing this ... will wee....?)over why when they change the MOD column next to Init, it isn't changing action rolls.

Chumbly

I have a think after I finish the PS form... thanks!

MadBeardMan
April 15th, 2018, 22:41

Chumbly

Hi Chumbly,

Right finished the Party Sheet - so added a ToolTip ("Modifier for the Init total") and changed 'Mod' to 'iMod'.

Thanks again,
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 16th, 2018, 10:28
I agree - they can always be used as labels even when there is no mechanical effect.

I've going to re-add them back in this week.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 16th, 2018, 10:29

As Chumbly posted, it's for the 1st Edition, but I'll be create New Traveller (I'm going to fork the code).

Cheers
MBM

Valyar
April 16th, 2018, 10:43
Chumbly, MadBeardMan,

Thank you for the update :)

tommenquar
May 12th, 2018, 23:59
Any updates @Madbeardman ?

Trenloe
May 13th, 2018, 00:01
Any updates @Madbeardman ?
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=MGP3800TRVMG1E

tommenquar
May 14th, 2018, 01:22
Oh snap! will defently pick this up. Any idea when work will start on 2nd edition? I know you were saying you were going to use this one as a base line. Just trying to get a generalized idea ;)

MadBeardMan
May 14th, 2018, 07:23
Oh snap! will defently pick this up. Any idea when work will start on 2nd edition? I know you were saying you were going to use this one as a base line. Just trying to get a generalized idea ;)

Work has already begun on the 2nd edition. I'm at the stage of converting the rulebook text, and creating the data. This is what takes the time, and as the 1E ruleset is expanded, it means there's less work on that for 2E except for the differences. I'd say mid summer for the initial rulebook, closely followed by the first two Reach Adventures, then the Central Supply Catalogue in the autumn/fall.

Cheers,
MBM

tommenquar
May 14th, 2018, 13:25
Thanks mate. I own all of the 2nd edition books, so if there is something i can do to give you a hand, please let me know