PDA

View Full Version : Not getting Intelligence Modifier with cantrips.

Maleioch
December 29th, 2015, 23:50
I am about to play my first session and I just noticed on my wizards' character sheet that when I roll the attack for Fire Bolt I only get a +2 proficiency bonus. I am certain that it should be D20 + Int mod + Prof. Right?

Moon Wizard
December 30th, 2015, 00:08
Try clicking on the magnifying glass icon on the Spells - Cantrips header, and making sure that Intelligence is selected as the ability for Spells.

Check out this wiki page as well:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Spell_Power_Group

Cheers,
JPG

Maleioch
December 30th, 2015, 00:30
Checked that and still only getting the +2 when I roll the hit the cast or atk button

TMO
December 30th, 2015, 05:53
Checked that and still only getting the +2 when I roll the hit the cast or atk button

What do you see when you click on the magnifying glass next to the row with the "Cast / Atk / Save" items? It should bring up the Spell/Ability Use page and show a Base value of Group Atk +. I wonder if it just says Ability.

Moon Wizard
December 30th, 2015, 06:48
Hmm, I haven't been able to recreate. Can you post an export of the character? I might need to get the campaign file, if that's not enough.

Thanks,
JPG

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2015, 10:48
Indeed, there's three possibilities. The first is eliminated because the correct ability is being used in the Cantrips header. The second possibility is what TMO has posted above in that the 'Attack' line in the Spell/Ability use dialog is set to 'Ability' instead of Group Atk+ (This would be fine as long as the ability in the same dialog was set to INT); and the third possibility is that the Intelligence of the character is 10 or 11.

Maleioch
December 30th, 2015, 14:15
Indeed, there's three possibilities. The first is eliminated because the correct ability is being used in the Cantrips header. The second possibility is what TMO has posted above in that the 'Attack' line in the Spell/Ability use dialog is set to 'Ability' instead of Group Atk+ (This would be fine as long as the ability in the same dialog was set to INT); and the third possibility is that the Intelligence of the character is 10 or 11.

The Attack line should be correct as seen below. The INT of the character is 15 so a +2 should be added to make it +4.
I rolled the INT up and down to see if it would recalc the value. It did not. I have removed all spells and re-added them. This did not change it.
I created a new character, added an INT of 15 and dropped the spells in it's action sheet. It calculated correctly. Something is bugging this character sheet. I could re do the entire character but it still wouldn't answer the why the sheet was bugged so that it could be corrected if needed.

Maleioch
December 30th, 2015, 14:34
I extracted the character section from my campaign db.xml file and posted it on google docs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8N2L0obypt8S0Myczhad3ZlOVk/view?usp=sharing

TMO
December 30th, 2015, 20:46
I extracted the character section from my campaign db.xml file and posted it on google docs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8N2L0obypt8S0Myczhad3ZlOVk/view?usp=sharing

I'm relatively new to this, so perhaps Moon Wizard can use your xml file. However, I was unable to import it into FG. I see that you extracted it from your campaign database, which doesn't format the xml for character importing. Is there a reason you didn't do a basic character export (i.e., using the PCs window > Edit List button > Export Character button)?

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2015, 21:23
Indeed, I can't help either with the xml. One other thing to suggest. What happens if you export the character and import into a new campaign?

Maleioch
December 30th, 2015, 22:40
Indeed, I can't help either with the xml. One other thing to suggest. What happens if you export the character and import into a new campaign?

I tried that and it's the same result. Even if I remove the spells and re add them to the sheet.

Sorry about the .xml. Here is the exported character sheet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8N2L0obypt8UEI0OXJ5ajEtSzg/view?usp=sharing

TMO
December 30th, 2015, 23:31
I tried that and it's the same result. Even if I remove the spells and re add them to the sheet.

Sorry about the .xml. Here is the exported character sheet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8N2L0obypt8UEI0OXJ5ajEtSzg/view?usp=sharing

Well, I'm stumped. I can see the problems you are experiencing but I can't figure out the cause. I created a new character using your status and other important details, and I get the proper adjustments (i.e., +4 attack for the spells).

I am convinced, however, that this is not limited to the intelligence ability. It seems like something more fundamental is at work here. For instance, if I go into the Power Group settings and change things around - including changing the proficiency settings - this does nothing to the spell. The only way I can "fix" the spell is to modify the spell itself (Base: Ability, Stat: Int, Prof: Yes).

So, my prediction is something is interfering with the power group logic, but your XML shows that your power group looks okay (well, compared to the XML I export from a working character.)

I noticed that you created a new power group for your arcane recovery ability. I doubt it would affect anything so I created that too but this did not cause my character to have any problems.

Maleioch
December 31st, 2015, 04:55
Yeah, we had our first run with actual campaign play in FG tonight. I have to run that character until the others get familiar enough with the program to handle two characters so I just gave him a +2 mod on all his spell rolls that required it. I'll have to remake him since I know it's just him that is bugged but I thought if there was a reason for it occurring it would be good to post in case it was a bug.

First night went great by the way! Even a guy who is a roll20 person was impressed.

TMO
December 31st, 2015, 05:41
First night went great by the way! Even a guy who is a roll20 person was impressed.

I would be interested to know more details of his impression - pros and cons. Our group was using Roll20 for some time and then made the switch over to Fantasy Grounds. I doubt we would have switched if the 5E ruleset had not been supported, but now that we are here, we've been far happier with the experience in Fantasy Grounds. Of course, having the modules officially supported and prepped is a HUGE bonus. It is hard to fault Roll20 for this since they don't have a deal with WotC to make this happen.

I was rather disappointed that as of late Roll20 seemed more focused on their iPad app (which was supplemental rather than core) and other tangential features rather than fixing the major problems that caused basic play to suffer. It's a pity because Roll20 really has great potential. Web-based products can be spectacular when designed well, but miserable with the slightest hiccup.

Zacchaeus
December 31st, 2015, 10:56
Indeed, I am with TMO here, there's a fundamental problem with the power group. Nothing changes when you play around with the various options, and your save DCs are all incorrect too. The only thing is to start a completely new character. Something at some point has corrupted something but I can't see what.

Maleioch
December 31st, 2015, 15:35
Thanks Guys. I'm duplicating the character on another sheet atm. Just wish I knew what caused it.

As for the roll20. I have played on it. It has some features I like. I believe the biggest thing for him was the automation. i.e. How little set up we had to do with the character sheet compared to the other app. That being said, as you stated TMO, having the official wotc content that just dragged and dropped onto the sheets makes a huge difference.

Moon Wizard
January 5th, 2016, 21:43
Okay, I found the issue in the XML output file, but I'm not sure how it got into that state originally. I haven't been able to come up with a set of steps to reproduce. If it happens again, please let me know how you did it.

Here is the character with the extra data causing the issue removed.

Regards,
JPG