PDA

View Full Version : LFG / 1 Player / Tues, Weds, Thurs CST US Time / 5E

bigbluepaw
December 28th, 2015, 01:03
FG License: Core Player and DM Licenses
Time Zone: Central Time Zone
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: I can play Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday once a week.
Term: Looking for one-shots or campaigns to get familiar with FG.
Voice: I can install and set up any text or VOIP system that is needed.

Game System Preferred: I am looking to play 5E D&D system, preferably in the Forgotten Realms. However, I'm open to playing other systems.
Game System Experience: I've followed each D&D system as it has come out. I have not played tabletop in some time.
Fantasy Grounds Experience: None.

Character Type Preferred: I'm flexible in what I can play. However, I've developed some character concepts I'm interested in pursuing.

Thade Coppenwrath (Half Elf Ranger/Cleric): Grim guide (nature, survival), dungeoneer (perception, investigation, lockpicking), and scholar (history, religion) recovering ancient tomes from ruins of empires past for the Church of Oghma. Good fit for a wilderness and dungeon delving campaign.
Lias Venable (Human Paladin / Rogue or Cleric / Rogue): Influencer (insight, deception, persuasion) and historian (history, arcana and religion) acting on behalf of the Order of the Gauntlet. Story could be the spy variant of the criminal background. Good for campaigns where there is intrigue involved.
Fick Withers (Human Rogue): Tatoo covered street survivor hoping to make his way up the Zhent ranks.
Vashane Timbers (Halfling Fighter): Expressive, bald-but-bearded mute that loves to play tricks on companions.
Maven the Afflicted (Tiefling Wizard): Charismatic but constantly sick mage obsessed with planar travel.
I'm open to developing other concepts to fill the needs of the group. Mages and warlocks would be fun as well. Not as interested in monks, bards or barbarians.

About me: This will be my first tabletop game in a while and my first VTT game ever. From a play style perspective, in the context of the 5E DMG, I'm more inclined towards exploring, instigating, problem solving and storytelling. I'm keen on the fighting aspect and developing my character, but I am looking for balance.

I've actually spent quite some time building and DMing games in Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 that was almost all in-character roleplaying via text. I had been very much looking forward to Sword Coast Legends, but after investing quite a bit of time, I'm afraid it doesn't fill my DMing needs.

Longer term, once I get comfortable with FG, I'm planning on DMing a campaign of my own. In my preparations for SCL, I purchased the 5E PHB, DMG and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. I have developed a fairly fleshed out campaign story arc that I plan to customize to players. I'm very excited about that, but I want to get comfortable with FG first.

As a last note, I'm a 40 something year old with two kids, wife and full time job. Looking forward to joining a fun group!

damned
December 28th, 2015, 01:40
Welcome bigbluepaw.

Good intro. Make sure you also introduce yourself on threads where GMs are posting games or spots available and you will get a faster end result.

JohnD
December 28th, 2015, 02:00
Welcome dude... I had close to 12 years myself in NWN and NWN 2 before coming to Fantasy Grounds. You're in a good spot here.

bigbluepaw
December 28th, 2015, 02:43
Thanks for the kind reception! Do GMs post in this forum? I've seen a few, but want to make sure I'm covering my bases.

JohnD
December 28th, 2015, 02:47
Yeah GMs post here. There are also posts in the reset specific areas of the forum as well.

What was your ID in NWN and NWN 2? Perhaps we've gamed together already. :)

bigbluepaw
December 28th, 2015, 02:52
Thanks John. My ID on NWN was also bigbluepaw. I was involved with NWConnections quite a bit, at least for a time. Was a great community while it was active.

It is a real shame that SCL isn't panning out. Showed real promise. I am really excited about 5E. Seems to show a lot of flexibility and real emphasis on roleplaying.

JohnD
December 28th, 2015, 02:59
It sure was. Great gaming years there. I was NWN DM in that community... was also on NWC.

Hope you find something. My 5e game is Saturday evening, which doesn't work for you it seems. I'd suggest not to limit yourself to just 5e - it's the juggernaut right now for certain, but there are other options out there if you want to game.

If you're eventually looking to DM, perhaps observing a game or two would be of value to you also.

bigbluepaw
December 28th, 2015, 17:06
I think I'll take you up on that! You play on Saturday nights?