PDA

View Full Version : Quick Method to Fit Map to Desktop

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 06:33
There are all kinds of reasons why a map might open larger than the desktop or might be zoomed in so much that navigating around is difficult. Is there a quick way to just have a map (or any image, for that matter) simply resize itself to the current desktop? I'm looking for all four borders to become visible (i.e., not off in virtual space) and the map/image itself to be scaled sufficiently so it can be seen in its entirety. Possible? I'm guessing this is dead simple or that someone has already asked about this before.

Griogre
December 27th, 2015, 06:40
No, there isn't since FG doesn't have any concept of your desktop size, or that of any player's desktop size. The only for sure way to keep all map to a size that is to keep you maps sizes less than your desktop. Probably not what you wanted to hear. :p

damned
December 27th, 2015, 06:46
Its not dead simple...
And the other thing that happens is when you share the image it is shared to the players at the size you have it on your screen - so it probably wont fit the players screen when it opens there.

Mask_of_winter
December 27th, 2015, 06:47
Right click, resize, adjust horizontal or vertical.

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 06:51
No, there isn't since FG doesn't have any concept of your desktop size, or that of any player's desktop size.

Oh? Why is that? I mean, how could it not know my desktop size or the size of FG itself (in case it isn't maximized)? I'm no DirectX programmer, but I do write software. Getting the size of a desktop is kind of basic.

The only for sure way to keep all map to a size that is to keep you maps sizes less than your desktop.

This is my point. During a game it often becomes necessary to zoom in, move a map off the screen, switch to a different computer with another solution, etc. So, I get the need to keep things all nice and tidy, but I'm looking for a means to assist in that process.

I might have not been clear. I am not asking for a way to have a map open in this way. I can live with a map opening in whatever size, location, and zoom setting that it needs to. I just want a toggle that can reset this to an optimum setting so I can do the next thing with it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. :p

Not in the slightest! :) But, if this is how it must be then I'll cope. I just needed to ask lest I kick myself for not using some great feature I was unaware of (which happens all too often with FG!)

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 06:57
Its not dead simple...
And the other thing that happens is when you share the image it is shared to the players at the size you have it on your screen - so it probably wont fit the players screen when it opens there.

Okay, I'm convinced I didn't explain myself clearly. You make a good point, but this isn't applicable in my situation. I'm assuming that I don't need to share the map (just yet) or that I have already shared it and I am simply looking to navigate elsewhere for whatever reason.

Many purchased modules have a default map size which is much bigger than my resolution and zoomed in pretty tight. I just wanted the equivalent of "Fit Visible", just like a lot of document based software application can provide. I would then proceed to zoom in where I need and then I can share with my players.

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 07:00
Right click, resize, adjust horizontal or vertical.

Ah...now we are getting somewhere. At least we are getting half-way there!

This is useful when the borders are already within the space of my desktop/FG portal. But as noted above, it is common for the map/image borders to be out of view and the virtual size of the image portal is huge. In this case, the adjust horizontal/vertical feature won't be quite as useful when the view portal is too big.

Griogre
December 27th, 2015, 07:01
Oh? Why is that? I mean, how could it not know my desktop size or the size of FG itself (in case it isn't maximized)? I'm no DirectX programmer, but I do write software. Getting the size of a desktop is kind of basic.

Note, I'm not a directX programmer either. It's not the FG app couldn't find out that stuff, though. The problem is most likely the ruleset can't find out that stuff. The ruleset and extensions are layered on and are not dynamically updated after campaign start and so the image frames are not smart (or object oriented) so they don't know the size of anything. :p

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 07:12
Note, I'm not a directX programmer either. It's not the FG app couldn't find out that stuff, though. The problem is most likely the ruleset can't find out that stuff. The ruleset and extensions are layered on and are not dynamically updated after campaign start and so the image frames are not smart (or object oriented) so they don't know the size of anything. :p

I'm willing to defer to those who understand the underpinnings of FG far more than me. I am starting to get a grasp of how this system supports the layering on of rulesets. It's all quite impressive.

That said, my spidey sense inclines me to think that some aspects of the image frames must be built into the core application and that the layering is there for style and perhaps additional features that are unique to a given ruleset. The fact that objects can be anchored and that the navigation compass in the bottom right knows when an image is larger than the frame all suggests to me that there is definitely an awareness of size. Strictly speaking from a developer's perspective, it would seem very strange to me for a running session of FG to not know how to get the size of its own desktop and then be able to adjust a child form (e.g., one of the image frames) to fit accordingly.

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 07:17
It's not the FG app couldn't find out that stuff, though.

Sorry, I kind of overlooked this comment in my last response. So, we seem to agree that this is a possibility insofar as FG is concerned. I now understand better what you are saying. Still, if the FG app could do this, is this not a core feature that could be implemented? Note, I'm just looking for a way to automate what I am having to do manually. I don't understand how a ruleset's limitation would be relevant here.

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2015, 12:26
I'm assuming that you are aware that if you hold down CTRL and the left mouse button you can resize the map by dragging without needing to see the borders?

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 22:26
I'm assuming that you are aware that if you hold down CTRL and the left mouse button you can resize the map by dragging without needing to see the borders?

To be truthful, I had forgotten about that (but actually was familiar with it at one time.) When I created this thread I was working on a laptop that was literally in my lap and I had no mouse device. So, I was struggling with the mousepad pining for more keyboard shortcuts similar to what I described.

In regular play I will always have a mouse. The combination of Ctrl+LeftClick and then ScrollWheel to zoom out gets me what I want with relatively little effort. I'll consider my original question answered, with gratitude.

Trenloe
January 3rd, 2016, 07:09
Use CTRL+left-click to make the map the width of the desktop (or the width you want it to be) and then right-click -> Resize -> Adjust vertical. This will adjust the image vertically, keeping the horizontal size you selected.

If the image is larger vertically than horizontally (portrait rather than landscape), you might want to size it so that it fits vertically within the window and then right-click -> Resize -> Adjust horizontal.

Both of these will give you the full image view, and takes a couple of seconds.

damned
January 3rd, 2016, 07:25
Use CTRL+left-click to make the map the width of the desktop (or the width you want it to be) and then right-click -> Resize -> Adjust vertical. This will adjust the image vertically, keeping the horizontal size you selected.

If the image is larger vertically than horizontally (portrait rather than landscape), you might want to size it so that it fits vertically within the window and then right-click -> Resize -> Adjust horizontal.

I didnt know about those options - thanks.

TMO
January 3rd, 2016, 07:38

That is helpful. Mask_of_winter had already mentioned the Resize > Adjust options, but I didn't understand how they can be used effectively. This pulls it all together for me.

The only thing missing is knowing whether the map/image is taller or wider in advance. But, with the techniques already given me in this thread I am 95% closer to what I wanted anyway.

LordEntrails
January 7th, 2016, 22:14
I didnt know about those options - thanks.

Huh? damned, you didn't know? I didn't think that was possible *G*

:) Glad to hear we all learn new things from time to time :)

damned
January 7th, 2016, 23:15
Huh? damned, you didn't know? I didn't think that was possible *G*

:) Glad to hear we all learn new things from time to time :)

Everyday!

Raddu
January 8th, 2016, 02:10
This inspired me to start #FGTips. Thanks!

Trenloe
January 8th, 2016, 02:55
This inspired me to start #FGTips. Thanks!

Nice idea. Can you include the info about resizing horizontally and vertically as detailed in post #13 above please?

Raddu
January 8th, 2016, 05:19
not really enough room, they have to be short for social media.

TMO
January 8th, 2016, 05:27
not really enough room, they have to be short for social media.

Might not be a problem if Twitter makes this change (https://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/01/05/twitter-to-expand-tweets-140-character-limit-to-10000/). Not an endorsement, but there it is.

Raddu
January 8th, 2016, 20:29
Might not be a problem if Twitter makes this change (https://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/01/05/twitter-to-expand-tweets-140-character-limit-to-10000/). Not an endorsement, but there it is.

Yeah, we'll see how that looks. Not a fan at a moment, but we'll see.