PDA

View Full Version : Table-Initiated Automatic Die Rolls

centerNegative
December 25th, 2015, 17:56
So I'm going through creating the treasure tables manually and I'm curious if there's a method to have a table row result actually initiate a dice roll in the log to create a draggable number. Specifically, as an example, on the Individual Treasure Challenge 0-4 table, the first result, 1-30, nets 5d6 cp. Using the following:

row;1;30;[5d6] cp

... might net something in the log like:

GM... [5d6] cp = 19 cp

... which is pretty sweet, but I'd like that result to be an actual die roll with a bubbled numerical result that I can drag from the chat into other places, like Treasure Parcels or character inventories. The less manual input and potential for errors, the better!

Zacchaeus
December 25th, 2015, 20:49
Indeed, it would be useful but at the moment it can't be done. Coinage is pretty much the only thing that can't be linked at the moment - almost everything else is. However that's because everything else is a 'thing' which can be created in game, such as weapons, armour, gems, jewellery, encounters, story entries etc.

You could head on over here (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/) and make the suggestion though and you never know what might come of it.

centerNegative
December 25th, 2015, 21:07
Good to know, was just making absolutely sure I wasn't overlooking any useful features. Had the crazy notion of having the 1-30 result linking to a 30 row table with each potential, sequential 5d6 cp value on a row but that's the kind of OCD madness that gets you committed... ;)

Zacchaeus
December 25th, 2015, 21:21
The treasure tables in the DMG sort of do it. If you roll on one of the individual treasure tables it outputs links to the chat window for each category of coin. However dragging those links doesn't drop the number into a coin slot but it does add an entry into the inventory or into the Item name area of a treasure parcel. Not hugely useful :)

centerNegative
December 25th, 2015, 22:25
Ah, right! Forgot it would just create an item link. Well, guess I'll go for the feature request of what I had in mind. Thanks for the input, Zac'!

centerNegative
December 26th, 2015, 04:14
Back on the note of coinage: How is a multiplied result handled? I.e., the Individual Treasure: Challenge 5-10 table starts off with:

d100 CP...
01-30 4d6 x 100 (1,400)...

LAST EDIT: I just discovered any arbitrary value can be applied to a die roll. I should've probably read the wiki or something. d2400 works just fine. Derp. :p

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2015, 10:30
I'm not sure what you mean by how is a multiplied result handled. The code that you copied shows four times six multiplied by 100 which is what the treasure table in the DMG says. D2400 of course will give you many more values.

centerNegative
December 26th, 2015, 17:58
It wasn't working. This:

row;1;30;[4d6x100] cp

... didn't give a rolled result. I don't think [4d6]x100 did, either. I tried it a lot of different ways and mostly just got the explicit text of the row returned in the chat.

EDIT: Oh, I'm like functionally retarded. Did you mean [4d600] cp? I had made an earlier point but edited out that was along the lines of "What hoard encounter would keep a round amount of coinage?" :o

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2015, 18:28
Ah, right I see what you mean. Yes the DMG treasure tables work that way; so in your example you get (4d6)*100 cp. In other words you'll get 400 - 2400 cp in increments of 100 with an average roll of 1400. As you say if you want something more esoteric then you could do something like [4d6*100]+[1d100].

Oh, and you use '*' to multiply not 'x'. So in your example row;1;30;[4d6*100] cp

centerNegative
December 26th, 2015, 18:40
Argh! I'm positive I tried the asterisk! Oh wait, I just tried it from the command line using /die, not in a table. Well, shucks, that does the trick, too. I did try your next suggestion, too, but that explicitly results in "1,234+56 cp" in the chat. The other notion I had, "[4d6][d100]" is great, up until a 100 is rolled, then I can get "12100 cp." I did get crazier and roll a die for each number but it really skews the probabilities, I think, and didn't give really varied results. I'll probably stick with using the [d2400] and whatnot. Thanks for the help as always!

EDIT: Again, I missed your point entirely. [d2400] gives a range of 1 to 2,400, which can result in too little treasure, reasonably, for a hoard. The DMG is proposing 400-2,400, which is more generous and realistic. I could go back to the crazy way I had it, which was: [4d6][d10-1][d10-1] cp...

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2015, 22:14
I did try your next suggestion, too, but that explicitly results in "1,234+56 cp" in the chat. The other notion I had, "[4d6][d100]" is great, up until a 100 is rolled, then I can get "12100 cp."

I'm note making myself to clear I fear. Firstly there isn't a way to get what you want which is for the roll to result in a single number of copper pieces which you can drag anywhere which will result in the number of copper pieces appearing in the players' character sheet or into a parcel.

With that in mind my suggestion was aimed at the chat outputting a realistic number which you could then manually input where you want it. Placing [4d6*100][d100] will multiply the two parts so you will get a result of 4000 - 240000. What I was suggesting was [4d6*100]+[1d100] which will give you a result at the lower end of 400-500 and at the top end 2400-2500. The [1d100] being the bit that makes the treasure not so 'rounded' and perhaps more realistic. It will output to chat something like 1600+56 and so I thought you'd be able to add those together and come up with 1656 as your treasure for manual input.

The other possibility you mentioned [4d6][d10-1][d10-1] will multiply the first roll of 4d6 by whatever is rolled for d10-1 and then again by d10-1 so that's not really what you want either.

centerNegative
December 26th, 2015, 23:00
I've tested it, though, and it's working just fine. Here's what I have going on:

Seems to be working exactly as intended and desired. And again, adding the [d100] means sometimes "100" will be added to the base number, giving a result like "13100." I've seen that happen in the log, too.

EDIT: Just as a follow-up, you were making yourself clear and I'd already given up having a draggable die result for coinage. Just trying to get a nice, easily legible, straight-forward coinage result from the treasure tables.

centerNegative
December 27th, 2015, 05:29
Another follow-up to all of this: is there a way to still have a linked subtable within a rollable table and still have the roll multiplier? I.e., somehow combining something like '[1d6x][Magic Item Table C]' with '#zl:table:Magic Item Table C' so I can directly access that table through the shield icon instead of just a note card?

Moon Wizard
December 27th, 2015, 05:44
I just tested. If you add a link by dragging and dropping, and then add the [1d6x] multiplier with no other brackets to denote a table, it will apply the multiplier to the link table for number of rolls.

Regards,
JPG

centerNegative
December 27th, 2015, 06:35
Brilliant! Totally works!

EDIT: Ooooh... just encountered a minor hangup: OK, any ideas what to do on a table row auto-rolling on two Magic Item tables? For example, '[1d4x][Magic Item Table A][1d6x][Magic Item Table B]' on Treasure Hoard Challenge 11-16.

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2015, 12:07
I've tested it, though, and it's working just fine. Here's what I have going on:

Seems to be working exactly as intended and desired. And again, adding the [d100] means sometimes "100" will be added to the base number, giving a result like "13100." I've seen that happen in the log, too.

Indeed, it does. I misread your post and thought you were multiplying the first by 100 before the two 10-1's :)

Brilliant! Totally works!

EDIT: Ooooh... just encountered a minor hangup: OK, any ideas what to do on a table row auto-rolling on two Magic Item tables? For example, '[1d4x][Magic Item Table A][1d6x][Magic Item Table B]' on Treasure Hoard Challenge 11-16.

Not sure what you mean here since what you quoted will roll 1d4 times on Table A and 1d6 times on table B. Can you expand on what the problem is? Also, just whilst I think about it are you doing these table in parse or are you doing them in Fantasy Grounds?

centerNegative
December 27th, 2015, 18:08
Oh, sorry, I should've quoted Moon Wizard's post, as it was in response to that. I just figured it out: I just need to add a second Magic Items column to the tables where it needs to roll on two. I have a really bad habit of stepping over the obvious. :o