PDA

View Full Version : Use a GUI ruleset builder to build rulesets

martel
December 25th, 2015, 12:55
Hey,

since 2013, in your idea informer is the top 3 : Use a GUI ruleset builder to build rulesets ?

And nothing ?

thanks

Mellock
December 25th, 2015, 13:23
https://www.verkami.com/projects/7992-ruleset-wizard-for-fantasy-grounds

We tried :) -- There's been a huge amount of other work done since 2013 though. There's just so many hours in a day :( I'm thinking it'll get done eventually. Merry Christmas btw :p

martel
December 25th, 2015, 18:32
But i dont understand why a gui editor isn't do by SmiteWorks ? with all money have from licences ultimate...

Sorry Mellock but 14.000 € for that, is very expensive.

Y a t'il des personnes sur ce forum qui parle français et qui connaissent bien la "structure" de FG ?

JohnD
December 25th, 2015, 18:47
Smiteworks is a (small) handful of guys, not a big development house like EA or Treyarch or whoever.

Mellock
December 25th, 2015, 21:29
What JohnD said, I think. When that verkami launched, there was a lot of talk on the forums about people wanting a ruleset builder like that. I still like the idea, but perhaps it'll just have to wait for more important stuff to get done first, given that 57 people backed it. I didn't really think it was too expensive, given that the thing would have to be supported long-term, but I'm not exactly a software project manager.

dulux-oz
December 25th, 2015, 23:46
I am a software Project Manager, and I actually thought the price was rather cheap.

It constantly amazes me, both here and in the rest of the world, just how little people understand about what it actually takes to produce professional/commercial grade software - let me give people an analogy: do people think that they can design, engineer and build a car - from scratch - in their own backyard? Now do they think that they can do that for all their friends and neighbors? And what about the rest of the country who now wants one of your cars - don't forget, its just you and 2-3 others doing this.

Now take the GUI Builder at the heart of this thread: what this is isn't the car, but the car-production-factility (the factory/workshop), which has to cater for everyone's desires: colours, no. doors, no. wheels, no. seats, diesel/petrol/electric/hybrid, etc, etc, etc.

So no, I don't think it is/was too expensive at all.

Cheers

damned
December 26th, 2015, 06:29
€14,000 on one hand is a good chunk of money.
It doesnt however go very far in the world of software development.
If this was easy to build someone would have built it.

martel
December 26th, 2015, 12:56
For me you have done the hard part.

if there is a barrier for me is that of language. If there are people here who speak French, I dsposer to help, and I'm sure in the French gamer community there are very good developers, graphic designers, coders ....

I think what you had shown was not bad, but I do not see behind the lines generated xml to arrive at the result of your gui ... then it becomes less simple. why not have tried with the pot that you had? what part you wanted to do more than easily generate xml template.

Mellock
December 26th, 2015, 13:51
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html This is a list of all the things that got done since. Off the top of my head, they also got the entire DnD 5e ruleset and content supported and produced, and they're hard at work making FG future-proof by switching it to the Unity engine.

Keep in mind, I don't think anyone is *against* a gui ruleset builder, but personally, I can understand that they have a lot of other work on their plate.

damned
December 26th, 2015, 14:07
the RWfFG was not a project by SmiteWorks - it was by a community developer who has alaso produced other things like the Mutants & Masterminds ruleset.
Whilst it is the #1 or #2 item on the wishlist it was only backed by 1/6th of the people who have voted for it. $USD50-60 by each of those voters would have gotten it across the line.
Strangely the majority of voters were not present for the crowdfunding project....

martel
December 26th, 2015, 17:53
@damned : Yes, is strange.. :(

@Mellock : unity Engine ? i go see that..

Griogre
December 26th, 2015, 22:34
It was done on someplace other than Kickstarter as well.

CrossRoads
December 26th, 2015, 23:15
the RWfFG was not a project by SmiteWorks - it was by a community developer who has alaso produced other things like the Mutants & Masterminds ruleset.
Whilst it is the #1 or #2 item on the wishlist it was only backed by 1/6th of the people who have voted for it. $USD50-60 by each of those voters would have gotten it across the line.
Strangely the majority of voters were not present for the crowdfunding project....

I run a small business and I can tell you that situation is very common. People request product X or service X to be made available in their area. Time and other resources are put into organising the request. Everything is ready to go and the majority of people that "desperately" wanted X vanish.

I would love to see this idea attempted again after the port to unity.

damned
December 27th, 2015, 01:02
It was done on someplace other than Kickstarter as well.

Kickstarter at that time was available only to residents of the US and UK.
Since then additional countries - but still only specific additional countries - have been added.
It is challenging and onerous to attempt to setup US bank accounts when not in the US or a citizen of the US.
Verkami is a popular European crowdfunding platform.

Andraax
December 27th, 2015, 14:40
It is challenging and onerous to attempt to setup US bank accounts when not in the US or a citizen of the US.

And potentially costly. Having a US bank account can bring you to the attention of the IRS, which has no compunction against charging US taxes to people and companies in other countries...

pindercarl
December 28th, 2015, 02:11
Smiteworks is a (small) handful of guys, not a big development house like EA or Treyarch or whoever.

I spent the better part of my career working for EA and Treyarch, so I took special notice that you didn't say EA and Activision :). One of the features of Tabletop Connect that SmiteWorks was interested in was the WYSIWYG character sheet editor, so I would expect to see some similar developments in the Unity version of Fantasy Grounds.

damned
December 28th, 2015, 03:28
I spent the better part of my career working for EA and Treyarch, so I took special notice that you didn't say EA and Activision :). One of the features of Tabletop Connect that SmiteWorks was interested in was the WYSIWYG character sheet editor, so I would expect to see some similar developments in the Unity version of Fantasy Grounds.

And you can bet we are looking forward to that Carl!