PDA

View Full Version : battle map combat request

seanarcher
December 25th, 2015, 02:01
Hi all

I hope this is the right area to post this.

What I would like to see is the ability to set a default attack for PC's/NPC's and then be able to right click on a token in the battlemap and have a menu item allowing me to use that default attack. And once you have attacked via that method the 'offence' icon in the combat tracker turns red; or some any colour really, so you can see who's had their attack.

For example

I have several skeletons attacking and they are all in the same initiative group, they're all in melee so I just want them to use their shortswords. I'd then like to simply use the battlemap and right click on each skeleton and use their default attack; which would be set on their sheet.

Hope this makes sense
Regards
Sean

Andraax
December 25th, 2015, 03:20
I don't see how this makes anything easier. On the combat tracker, the attacks section open automatically when an NPC's turn comes up. The "default" attack is usually the first attack on the list. So, to go through the NPCs, just double click on the attack, resolve damage as needed, then click "next", double click on the attack, resolve damage as needed, then click next, repeat as often as necessary.

Zacchaeus
December 25th, 2015, 10:50
Hi all

I hope this is the right area to post this.

What I would like to see is the ability to set a default attack for PC's/NPC's and then be able to right click on a token in the battlemap and have a menu item allowing me to use that default attack. And once you have attacked via that method the 'offence' icon in the combat tracker turns red; or some any colour really, so you can see who's had their attack.

For example

I have several skeletons attacking and they are all in the same initiative group, they're all in melee so I just want them to use their shortswords. I'd then like to simply use the battlemap and right click on each skeleton and use their default attack; which would be set on their sheet.

Hope this makes sense
Regards
Sean

Hi sean and welcome to FG and the forums.

I like your idea but I suspect that implementing it would not be easy to implement. However there's no harm in trying so head over here (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/) and make your suggestion.

damned
December 25th, 2015, 12:29
I also think the idea has some merit.
I wonder though if it might just be your still getting to know the application that makes you suggest that doing it from the map might be faster than the CT...

As you and your group get more used to things encourage your players to have their targeting done ahead of their turn and to have a fair idea what they will each be doing on their turn.
If you have one or two players who take longer than the others you might even allow two players to act at the same time.

For the GM also you can setup your NPC targeting during the players actions and you can simply double click the appropriate attack on the next actor in the CT and the next actor button and things just keep on moving. Combat is definitely faster in FG once you start taking advantage of its features.

Mask_of_winter
December 25th, 2015, 12:47
I think it's a great idea. It would cut down on navigating from the map to move tokens, back to CT, scroll through CT. minimize the clutter, allow for maps to be displayed in large size.

Even something where the CT could be docked in a corner of the map, a grayed out area where the CT wouldn't cover the map would be a huge upgrade for me. I have a dual monitor setup but that monitor is now used to manage Google Hangouts. I know, not everybody has a second or third monitor to rely on.

Andraax
December 25th, 2015, 15:26
Moving to the token on the map from the CT is simple - double click on the token on the left side of the CT entry, and it takes you to the map (even opening it if needed), with the token for that entry centered. And my CT always shows the current PC/NPC entry near the top of the window, so scrolling is rarely required.

seanarcher
December 25th, 2015, 23:59
Very cool, thanks for the link! This is a great way to find out if it has any merit.

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 05:03
Moving to the token on the map from the CT is simple - double click on the token on the left side of the CT entry, and it takes you to the map (even opening it if needed), with the token for that entry centered. And my CT always shows the current PC/NPC entry near the top of the window, so scrolling is rarely required.

That's a new feature (double-clicking the token in the CT) you just taught me. Thanks!

Andraax
December 27th, 2015, 14:43
That's a new feature (double-clicking the token in the CT) you just taught me. Thanks!

I pretty much run all the combats from the CT, not from the map. I only go to the map if I need to move a token.

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2015, 14:46
I pretty much run all the combats from the CT, not from the map. I only go to the map if I need to move a token.

As do most of us I suspect, but I was wandering how you managed to have all of your PCs/NPCs near the top of the CT?

Andraax
December 27th, 2015, 14:57
As do most of us I suspect, but I was wandering how you managed to have all of your PCs/NPCs near the top of the CT?

It's automatic in the C&C ruleset (and, I imagine, all of the CoreRPG derived rulesets). When you click the "Next Actor" button, the new actor's entry is opened, and if it's not on the currently displayed section of the CT, the CT automatically scrolls so that the open entry is near the top (for the NPCs anyway, which is what I need to manipulate).

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2015, 15:15
It's automatic in the C&C ruleset (and, I imagine, all of the CoreRPG derived rulesets). When you click the "Next Actor" button, the new actor's entry is opened, and if it's not on the currently displayed section of the CT, the CT automatically scrolls so that the open entry is near the top (for the NPCs anyway, which is what I need to manipulate).

Ah, right I see what you mean. I thought you were saying that even if you have 20 characters on the Combat Tracker all of them were crammed into the top of it and there was therefore no need then to scroll to find the correct target. :)

TMO
December 27th, 2015, 22:42

Same here. However, if the CT has many entries and the PC that my NPC needs to attack is not in view, it is easier to direct the attack on the PC's token in the map.

As a player, I find this even more useful. I can't easily find the NPC I want to attack in the CT but it gets cluttered and the NPC names are often not distinctive enough. The map, however, gives me great visual targeting.

Andraax
December 27th, 2015, 23:31
As a player, I use the map more than the CT. However, as GM (which is what we were discussing here), I find myself using the CT almost exclusively, except when I click on the token to get to the map, make any movements or targeting changes for the NPC, then I go back to the CT (but that's pretty rare). When an NPC is *not* attacking, then I'm looking at the map generally, accepting player moves as their turns come up and keeping an overview of the battle in my mind for the next time an NPC's turn comes up.

Trenloe
December 30th, 2015, 05:48
You can also double-click on the linked token on the map to bring up its NPC (or PC) character sheet - allowing you to quickly make rolls and close the sheet without visiting the combat tracker.

This is not quite what the OP is asking, but it does allow attacks to be made via token access on the map rather than combat tracker entries.