PDA

View Full Version : Damage Reduction Effect in 5e

Hecklerus Prime
December 25th, 2015, 01:23
Is there a way to do Damage Reduction in 5e? I looked through the effects page and didn't see anything. I know that Damage Reduction has been largely removed from 5e, and so I understand that it wouldn't be added as an effect, but it is still possible in certain circumstances. Specifically, the feat Heavy Armor Master grants DR 3 vs. nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.

ffujita
December 25th, 2015, 03:22
The effect syntax is [RESIST: 3 slashing, bludgeoning, piercing, !magic], set duration for 1 day, targeting to SELF, and apply once per drop into the combat tracker (or maybe after each long rest).

And I didn't know that from memory, I did a google search for "Heavy Armor Master effect fantasy grounds" and read the top entry.

Moon Wizard
December 25th, 2015, 04:05
You can also set the duration to zero, which means that it won't expire automatically. It will stay until removed.

JPG

Zacchaeus
December 25th, 2015, 10:45
I just added it to the list of examples on the Wiki since it comes up now and again and also I thought it was there already :)

Hecklerus Prime
December 26th, 2015, 01:46
Awesome. Thanks, guys. I wasn't aware that RESIST had that function.

Zacchaeus
December 26th, 2015, 10:38
Awesome. Thanks, guys. I wasn't aware that RESIST had that function.

Yes, the table in the Wiki needs a careful reading to appreciate everything. The second column for resist shows 'N' which if you read the legend says that only numbers are supported. This means as opposed to dice. So RESIST: 1d6 isn't supported but RESIST: 2 is. The next column shows what descriptors it will accept and in this case it's damage types. The legend also says that multiple types can be listed separated by a comma. The notes says that if there aren't any descriptors then 'all' is assumed. So RESIST: on it's own will resist everything; RESIST: fire will resist fire and RESIST:4 slashing will resist the first 4 points of slashing damage.

Hecklerus Prime
December 28th, 2015, 04:43
Just saw the updated example. Nice touch on the !magic part, as I completely forgot to add that. While we're at it, I noticed that Recharge wasn't in the 5E Effects examples either.

Zacchaeus
December 28th, 2015, 11:11
Just saw the updated example. Nice touch on the !magic part, as I completely forgot to add that. While we're at it, I noticed that Recharge wasn't in the 5E Effects examples either.

Recharge isn't an effect per se. It's a special 'thing' which is picked up by the parser for NPCs that have some kind of effect or weapon (such as Dragon's Breath) which can renew on a particular dice roll. I can't think of any PC actions that have a recharge (although that's not to say there isn't one). As far as I know the only way that it gets onto the Combat Tracker is from an NPC sheet which has recharge in an action title (e.g. 'Acid Breath Recharge 5-6). FG automatically handles the recharge when the NPC uses the weapon by setting a flag which then causes the roll to be made in subsequent rounds. Again, as far as I know, the only effect which is checked for on PCs when their turn starts or ends is the REGEN function. All the other conditions are checked when a dice is rolled by them or against them.

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2016, 05:13
So I'm not getting this to work... ideas?

Hecklerus Prime
April 14th, 2016, 05:42
Maybe add a space before the 3? Other than that it looks right to me.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2016, 09:11
So I'm not getting this to work... ideas?

Your effect is correct and should work. What bit of it isn't working? How are you using it?

drakonin
April 14th, 2016, 15:45
Maybe add a space before the 3? Other than that it looks right to me.

Yeah it needs the space after the colon to work so "RESIST: 3"

Blackwolf
April 14th, 2016, 18:00
That is nice to know how to do that, I will have to keep that in mind for the future. In my game I allowed all of the characters to pick a feat before play and of course the fighters all wanted heavy armor mastery. I play that as an Active Feat in other words they must remember to tell me subtract 3 as its their skill in the armor use that reduces the damage not a natural immunity. Now they all do it as second nature at the start I helped remind them. But That will help for say a Dragonborn's innate resistance to certain types of damage. and you could do that for the dwarven poison resistance. Wow I guess there is more to go mode than I thought.

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2016, 18:13
Yeah it needs the space after the colon to work so "RESIST: 3"

This is interesting since it works for me whether there is a space or not. I wonder why that should be.

That is nice to know how to do that, I will have to keep that in mind for the future. In my game I allowed all of the characters to pick a feat before play and of course the fighters all wanted heavy armor mastery. I play that as an Active Feat in other words they must remember to tell me subtract 3 as its their skill in the armor use that reduces the damage not a natural immunity. Now they all do it as second nature at the start I helped remind them. But That will help for say a Dragonborn's innate resistance to certain types of damage. and you could do that for the dwarven poison resistance. Wow I guess there is more to go mode than I thought.

Absolutely. Check out the Wiki here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) for more details about effects and also the character creation article (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Race_Traits) for more on racial traits and class features.

drakonin
April 14th, 2016, 18:40
My mistake yeah the space doesn't matter. Could be they are not attacking the target with the resist effect with the type of dmg it is set to resist, if they roll attack damage with no type that doesn't work either.

LordEntrails
April 16th, 2016, 04:20
Space didn't matter, that's what we tried first.

LordEntrails
April 16th, 2016, 04:23
tried attacking several different ways. Have another game tomorrow so will check more then.