PDA

View Full Version : 5e Character Generator

Hecklerus Prime
December 23rd, 2015, 07:56
Moderator. This module has been removed because of copyright violation

This module is a collection of tables that are used to randomly build a character. The only table that should be actively rolled (with one exception) is titled "1 - Character Generation". This will automatically select character race, class, background, two traits, a bond, a flaw, an ideal, and any other random extras from the background. The player is left to decide ability scores, skill selection, gender, equipment, and spells known (if applicable), to name a few. The exception mentioned is that there is a chance the same Trait will be rolled twice. In this case, the player should reroll on the relevant trait table. Currently, the player must also determine physical attributes (height, weight, etc.), but this may be incorporated into the module in the future. Suggestions for other additions are appreciated.

Occasionally, there will be links connected to the results. If the DD PHB Deluxe is owned and open, these links will be active and can be dropped onto the character sheet. However, some things may be missed, so it is ultimately up to the player to make sure that everything is in order on the sheet.

Thank you, and enjoy!

UPDATE 4/11/2018

Hey all! So I finally got around to updating this thing, and boy is it a doozy! Character generation is done entirely through a Story Template named "[First Name] [Last name]". Open the template, hit "Generate" and have fun reading!

Updates:

Added character name generation
Added gender determination
Added ability score rolls
Added links to Elemental Evil Companion races
Added Xanathar's Guide to Everything material, to include:

Class training & feature detail generation
Origin generation
Family generation (parents & siblings)
Upbringing (lifestyle, home, etc.)
Age & Life Events
Background decisions

Edit display formatting via Templates
Grammatical fixes

I really hope you guys enjoy this thing. It uses a ton of interconnected tables, but my goal was for the user to only interface with one (the Template) and then get a really nice, readable story as a result. I cut a lot of links since it messed up the story display. Essential things, like class, race, and background, are still linked, but other stuff like ideals no longer are. You'll just have to copy and paste into the character sheet.

Let me know your thoughts, and feel free to leave a wish list if you're so inclined. I'll try not to wait two years to update again! Thank you!

Skellan
December 23rd, 2015, 10:25
That's a fun mod :)

damned
December 23rd, 2015, 10:33
Well done Hecklerus Prime :bandit:

pinkwerks
February 18th, 2016, 07:11
Beautiful.

ctcharger
March 17th, 2016, 16:56
Being new to FG, I figure out where to roll the die on the first table but it appears I could use a bit more guidance on how to use this module fully.

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2016, 17:10
Being new to FG, I figure out where to roll the die on the first table but it appears I could use a bit more guidance on how to use this module fully.

That's pretty much all there is to it. Roll on the first table and it will roll up a random character. I'd suggest that you change the 'output' to Story (at the top of the first table, click on 'chat' until it says 'story') and it will give you a clearer result. It doesn't fill in the character sheet for you or roll stats, select skills etc. You'll have to find whatever results it comes up with in the PHB, 5ESRD or basic rules and drag/drop those into a character sheet.

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2016, 17:11
PS Hecklerus Prime. I Missed this first time around but I've linked it to the resources sticky in the 5e forums.

ctcharger
March 17th, 2016, 17:43
Got it. Thanks for the help, I will do that.

lesliev
May 30th, 2016, 00:38
@Hecklerus this is so good, thanks so much for making this!

JimSocks
January 22nd, 2017, 15:31
First off: I love this mod. I haven't had the chance to use it in my campaign yet, but I certainly will!

Secondly, I would like to ask your permission to use parts of your generator in a mod I am working on to generate random merchant shops. Your work could help me generate some details for the shopkeeper which would really flesh out the shop descriptions for the GM!

Hecklerus Prime
January 25th, 2017, 01:30
Thanks JimSocks, and to everyone else who has posted feedback so far. By all means, feel free to hack and slash whatever part of this mod that you like. I created it for the community and have no qualms over edits for personal use. I'd love to see what you come up with, so please post a link to your finished creation's page if you make one!

JimSocks
January 25th, 2017, 03:50
Thanks HP! Will do :)

JimSocks
January 26th, 2017, 06:26
I have posted the Merchant Generator!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36347-Merchant-Generator-Mod&p=317184#post317184

Thanks to your work it really helped add detail to the shopkeepers! Your original functionality is also included as a sub-table entitled "04 - Detailed NPC Generator"

Nappaddau
November 1st, 2017, 18:33
Will this be updated to include additions in Xanathar's GtE? If so, is there an estimation on a time frame?

Bidmaron
November 1st, 2017, 19:40
I cannot answer your question, but welcome to the forums!

Hecklerus Prime
April 13th, 2018, 00:37
Hey everyone, just made an update to the generator. It's got a lot more content (added Xanathar's Guide options) and is a lot more user-friendly! Check it out and let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement. Thanks!

JimSocks
April 13th, 2018, 02:06
Awesome!!! Thanks man!

Naphe
June 3rd, 2018, 07:09
I may just be a fool, but when I downloaded this mod, there is no "1-Character Generation" table entry to roll on. Not sure if a recent update to it omitted it, or if I need to schedule a visit to the eye doctor.

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2018, 08:54
Have you opened the module in the module activation screen? (Click Library button, then modules, then load button next to the module).

Naphe
June 3rd, 2018, 19:15
Yea, I see the 5e Character Generation on the group selection at the top of the Tables window and can select it, it shows 2 pages of tables for character generation, (occupation, gender, etc.) but the "1- Character Generation" Table does not seem to be there.

Zacchaeus
June 3rd, 2018, 22:18
Yea, I see the 5e Character Generation on the group selection at the top of the Tables window and can select it, it shows 2 pages of tables for character generation, (occupation, gender, etc.) but the "1- Character Generation" Table does not seem to be there.

According to the first post the method of generation has changed. It's now done via the Story Template called [First Name][Second Name]

Naphe
June 3rd, 2018, 23:14
Ahh! I read that and looked, but didn't realize it was in the template of the story window in the upper right corner. Thanks a ton Zacchaeus!

Zacchaeus
June 4th, 2018, 18:04
Heckleras. I've removed this module from your first post because it violates all sorts of copyright. You can't distribute material which is not in the SRD and the module does include a lot of material which is not in that. Sorry, I didn't notice your update earlier. If I remember correctly your first module was just a list of tables which referenced things anonymously. However in this module you have included all of the actual tables and again these are not in the SRD.

Hecklerus Prime
June 12th, 2018, 04:46
That's a very valid and appreciated point. I didn't think of that. Thank you for covering me on this one. I'll sift through the SRD and see what I can leave in the module moving forward. Anything else I'll just have to overwrite with original content. Thanks again for the save!

loca1979
April 22nd, 2022, 20:53
I am new I don’t know how to ir