PDA

View Full Version : 5e Critical, Fumble, and Random Encounter Charts

Hecklerus Prime
December 23rd, 2015, 07:12
Hello all! I'd like to share a few of the random tables I've created as part of my House Rules. Please feel free to use and critique as you see fit. My group and I recently updated them from 3.5e to 5e, so we're still playtesting right now.

Moving forward, one of our main goals is to come up with more imaginative and/or benign results for the Magic Fumble/Critical charts. We're going to aim to make it a little more wonky and, well, magical than the combat-focused stuff it is now. Just because you only run the risk of a magical crit/fumble while in combat does not mean the result should be about combat; magic is chaotic and anything can, and will, happen. So, if you have any suggestions on that front, our ears are open.

We also need to rethink how we make casters avoid magic critical/fumble effects. Currently, a 1st level caster with a +3 relevant ability modifier has a 75% chance of failing the check. That same caster with that same relevant ability modifier will always succeed on the check by the time she reaches 16th level. The method as it is was based on the 3.5e logic where spell save DC and caster level grew nearly parallel to one another. This no longer applies and there is now a great unbalance here, and it is one we have yet to settle. Again, suggestions appreciated.

Anyway, a summary of the tables and the rules required to use them is below. Thank you and enjoy!

Standard Critical/Fumble Chart

During a melee or ranged weapon attack, a natural 1 or a natural 20 prompts a critical or fumble check. This check is resolved by rolling 1d3.

On a critical, a result of a 1 or 2 resolves to a normal critical while a 3 generates a roll on the Critical Chart in addition to the normal critical. In the case that a piece of armor is listed next to the table result, the stated effect is negated if the target is wearing that piece of armor. For example, a result of 33-Target Disarmed is negated if the armor worn by the target includes gauntlets or a shield.
On a fumble, a result of a 3 or 2 resolves into a miss while a 1 generates a roll on the Fumble Chart.
If an Effect is vague or makes little sense in the situation, the DM should make every effort to assure that a Fumble produces a detrimental result and the a Critical produces a beneficial result with respect to the attacker. As a rule of thumb, lower percent rolls generate less impact while higher percent rolls generate high impact results.

Magic Fumble & Critical Charts

These tables require a certain instability be added to the Art of Magic. In game terms, perhaps the Gods of Magic are losing their ability to control the Weave, the Gods of Trickery decided to play a grand prank on the Realms, or magic is an unpredictable force and sometimes things happen...unpredictably.

During combat or other high-stress situations (as determined by the DM), any attempt to cast a spell requires a d20 roll. On a natural 1 or a natural 20 the magical effect begins to surge wildly and the spellcaster must attempt to reign the forces in.
The spellcaster must make a caster check vs. a DC equal to the spell save DC + 5. A caster check is 1d20 + caster level + proficiency bonus. The ability to add proficiency bonus means that even a multiclassing caster grows in ability to control magic over time. However, this is still very difficult for young (low level) casters and extremely easy for older (high level) casters. If the spell does not permit a save, calculate the DC as if it would have.
If the check is failed, the spellcaster must roll on the relevant Magical Critical/Fumble Chart. If a 20, the spell functions normally in addition to the Chart result. If a 1, the spell does not function normally and only the Chart result occurs.
Note that the d20 to cast is not required when using magic items such as scrolls, potions, wands, or the like; in the case of magic items, someone has already cast the entire spell, or enough of the spell that it cannot go awry. Only when the spellcaster is casting the spell should the d20 be rolled, and then only in combat or high stress situations.
If an Effect is vague or makes little sense in the situation, the DM should make every effort to assure that a Fumble produces a detrimental result and the a Critical produces a beneficial result with respect to the spellcaster. As a rule of thumb, lower percent rolls generate less impact while higher percent rolls generate high impact results.

Random Encounter Charts

There are 3 random encounter charts included: one each for a 3%, 6%, and 12% chance per hour of an encounter.

Each chart is rolled once per 8 hours.
If multiple encounters are made, the encounter happens randomly during the 8 hour span.
The table will also determine if the encounter is Threatening or Non-Threatening. A Threatening encounter can be resolved peacefully and a Non-Threatening encounter can become hostile, depending on PC actions. However, each is to begin as a clearly hostile or peaceful situation.
Threatening encounters will have additional rolls to determine if a there is a single foe or multiple foes, overall Encounter Level, and Awareness of each side. It will also display in the Chat Window the number of creatures in a Multiple Threatening encounter. The DM will need to determine creature type based on location and situation.

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2015, 13:04
I'm no expert on statistical probability but there already exists rules for Wild Magic in the sorcerer class so presumably WotC have done their sums and come up with something that is reasonable. Could you not duplicate that system to even out the saving throw thing?

Well done on all of this; I'm sure a few chaps will find this interesting.

Hecklerus Prime
December 24th, 2015, 05:01
Unfortunately, according to my PHB, there is no avoiding a Wild Magic Surge. I say my PHB because it turns out WotC has been releasing updated PHBs with no prior notification; one of my players has a different version with more detailed explanations of a few rules. Anyway, I digress. When a sorcerer casts a spell, the DM chooses to have the caster roll a d20. A natural 1 automatically leads to a Surge.

We considered removing the check altogether, but the concern is that our results are considerably more potent than those in the PHB and it's nice to have the extra layer of protection. We either need to tone ours down or come up with a solution. My gut tells me we'll end up going with the former, especially since we want more flavor rich/creative results.

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2015, 11:09
Unfortunately, according to my PHB, there is no avoiding a Wild Magic Surge. I say my PHB because it turns out WotC has been releasing updated PHBs with no prior notification; one of my players has a different version with more detailed explanations of a few rules. Anyway, I digress. When a sorcerer casts a spell, the DM chooses to have the caster roll a d20. A natural 1 automatically leads to a Surge.

We considered removing the check altogether, but the concern is that our results are considerably more potent than those in the PHB and it's nice to have the extra layer of protection. We either need to tone ours down or come up with a solution. My gut tells me we'll end up going with the former, especially since we want more flavor rich/creative results.

This is, I suppose, the trouble that you get when you start introducing random stuff to a campaign. By it's nature it's random so therefore you are going to get some very unpleasant results. Someone was telling me the other day that with the right roll a level one wild magic sorcerer can cast a fireball centred on himself. This would be a very quick way to end a campaign before it's even started.

As far as I can see from reading the Wild Magic rules it's the DMs option whether a roll is required or not. So I suppose the thing to do is require a roll sparingly.