PDA

View Full Version : PCs do not save?!?!

strebdogman
December 23rd, 2015, 04:25
i am running 5e. every time a pc is made it gets deleted. they are being made on ultimate account is there a way to save them i am missing? please help!

dulux-oz
December 23rd, 2015, 04:38
Hi steb,

A couple of questions:

Are you making these characters from the host, from an attached client, or from the Manage Characters function?
When you go to find these characters, are you on the host, an attached client, or in the Manage Characters function?
Are you Exporting the characters and then attempting to import them?

Let us know and we'll see about getting you sorted :)

Cheers

damned
December 23rd, 2015, 05:19
try running Fantasy Grounds as an administrator.
Have you applied the Ultimate license key in your settings?

scon40
December 23rd, 2015, 16:36
I have the same issue. Ultimate license key, from the Campaign, press PCs, create first PC, saves fine. All subsequent attempts to create PCs seem to work, but when I reopen the application later, they have not saved and I've reverted to just the one PC.

Update: Looks like I'm getting a failed connection. Probably why it is not saving.

Zacchaeus
December 23rd, 2015, 17:56
i am running 5e. every time a pc is made it gets deleted. they are being made on ultimate account is there a way to save them i am missing? please help!

I have the same issue. Ultimate license key, from the Campaign, press PCs, create first PC, saves fine. All subsequent attempts to create PCs seem to work, but when I reopen the application later, they have not saved and I've reverted to just the one PC.

Update: Looks like I'm getting a failed connection. Probably why it is not saving.

Are either of you backing up to some kind of cloud storage? If so that will be at least part if not all of the problem.

damned
December 23rd, 2015, 21:40
If your key is in the right spot try running as Administrator...

Cratylus
January 10th, 2016, 07:07
Hi, I recently installed FG on a MBP via Steam and am having the same issue. It's quite bizarre: characters will most often save the first time, but not subsequently. I thought I had it worked out and spent quite a long time building a character only to find out it hadn't synced again... I had previously had issues when I was running Wineskin without Steam which appeared to be the result of the router settings. I got around this by using an ethernet cable. I tried this approach again and it appeared to work, as I made a test change that appeared in on my character sheet, but I tried it again (as I wanted to try a few use case variations) and it never saved it again (i.e. it appeared to save locally, but it was gone when I exited and reopened the program). I tried, as one suggested above, turning of my virus protection, but that didn't help either.

Lastly, I did receive a warning message early on that is still occasionally (not always) appearing about a possible character database corruption and backup character. Then the warning tells me to look in the application data folder for Wineskin to find a backup, but that's a windows path, not a Mac path. I looked in Library's Application Support folder, but Wineskin wasn't there.
This is pretty frustrating stuff for a non-techie. I'd be willing to completely redo the character if I thought it would save/sync properly, but it doesn't look like it is.

damned
January 10th, 2016, 07:20
This is not much fun I bet...

I would try the following - open Fantasy Grounds to the splash screen.
Click on the folder icon to launch the browser window.
Go to campaigns and backup the current campaign.
If you cannot backup the campaign do not proceed with the following steps.

Then start the campaign.
Once the campaign is running move or rename the db.xml in that campaign folder.
Then in the chat window type /save and see if a new db.xml is written.

If so make a small change and exit FG and go back in and check if your changes are saved.

ddavison
January 10th, 2016, 16:25
If it is getting corrupted, it sounds like it might be getting force closed instead of closing properly. When you exit Fantasy Grounds, you should right click on the desktop and choose the Exit Program | Exit Program. If you need access to a Windows Path, these are found inside of the Wineskin wrapper under a folder called drive_C. The easiest way to get into these folders is to launch FG and click on the Folder icon and it will open a Finder window at the root of the Application Data Folder. From there you can go to campaigns and then the campaign that you need. If you see a file called db.xml.(anything), you can restore to that version by renaming the existing db.xml and then copying this file and renaming it to db.xml. Do this while the campaign is not actively running and then load the campaign.

Trancekat
January 13th, 2016, 13:47
Same issue here too.

No cloud storage.

ddavison
January 13th, 2016, 14:08
Trancekat,

Are you also running on a Mac? Can you send screenshots of the FG luanch screen and your Setting screen to [email protected] and we can look it over to see if something might be wrong there. Make sure the launch screen doesn't say FREE on it. If it does, then you won't be able to save properly and will need to enter your license key. If you purchased from Steam, it shows up as the CD Key in your Steam library entry for Fantasy Grounds.

Trancekat
January 13th, 2016, 14:20
Hi DDavison,
I am running on Windows 10 (I bought a copy of Win10 just for FG in fact; had run it on debian, but it was too slow).

I am not at home at the moment, but I will send the screen captures you requested tonight. I did add in the ultimate license I purchased. I did not use Steam to purchase FG.

I also added screenshots and more content to the other issues I'm experiencing in this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27541-5E-Characters-being-mixed-together

To be perfectly honest, it's VERY frustrating and if this isn't something that can be easily fixed, I would like to return my license and content and receive a refund.

Trancekat,

Are you also running on a Mac? Can you send screenshots of the FG luanch screen and your Setting screen to [email protected] and we can look it over to see if something might be wrong there. Make sure the launch screen doesn't say FREE on it. If it does, then you won't be able to save properly and will need to enter your license key. If you purchased from Steam, it shows up as the CD Key in your Steam library entry for Fantasy Grounds.

Cratylus
January 13th, 2016, 14:28
Hi All, so I went to try Damned's suggestion (although I'm not in a campaign yet and am not a DM, so do not have an Ultimate licence, but a regular one) and noticed was a port test available on FG. I tried it and failed. I then went to a steam user group in which they suggested going to whatsmyip and testing 1802, which I did. It timed out. Could this be the issue and I need to configure the router, or is this only for DMs? I've disabled Avast, btw.
P.S. Doug: this is what you get when your program starts becoming more popular and non-techies start using it! :)

ddavison
January 13th, 2016, 14:32
Hi All, so I went to try Damned's suggestion (although I'm not in a campaign yet and am not a DM, so do not have an Ultimate licence, but a regular one) and noticed was a port test available on FG. I tried it and failed. I then went to a steam user group in which they suggested going to whatsmyip and testing 1802, which I did. It timed out. Could this be the issue and I need to configure the router, or is this only for DMs? I've disabled Avast, btw.
P.S. Doug: this is what you get when your program starts becoming more popular and non-techies start using it! :)

You only need to configure your router to forward port 1802 if you plan to host a game as a DM. You won't need to run the Test Connection either since that is just to test that your system and router are properly configured for you to host.

If you do want to host, then you will want to log onto your router and add a port forward rule or a virtual server that routes TCP/UDP traffic from port 1802 to your local IP address (usually your 192.168.1.X address).

Trenloe
January 13th, 2016, 14:33
Could this be the issue and I need to configure the router, or is this only for DMs?
It's only needed for GMs, to allow players to connect to them.

Trenloe
January 13th, 2016, 14:36
Same issue here too.

No cloud storage.
First step - run FG as administrator. Right-click on the FG start up icon and select "Run as Administrator" (it might be in the "more" menu). Quite a few people have been reporting file access issues with Windows 10 recently, this will allow FG to save files correctly.

ddavison
January 13th, 2016, 14:38
Hi DDavison,
I am running on Windows 10 (I bought a copy of Win10 just for FG in fact; had run it on debian, but it was too slow).

I am not at home at the moment, but I will send the screen captures you requested tonight. I did add in the ultimate license I purchased. I did not use Steam to purchase FG.

I also added screenshots and more content to the other issues I'm experiencing in this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27541-5E-Characters-being-mixed-together

To be perfectly honest, it's VERY frustrating and if this isn't something that can be easily fixed, I would like to return my license and content and receive a refund.

Hello Trancekit,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. I originally assumed that you were importing them into a campaign and having them not save. Once characters are part of a campaign, they are managed within that campaign specifically. From there, they can be exported back out and imported into a new campaign if you like; however, most people just continue on with the same campaign even if they run new modules. A campaign can be thought of as a collection of characters.

It sounds like you are doing most of your importing and exporting within the Manage Characters window. I suspect this might be the problem and I will ask Moon Wizard to check it out to see if there might be any bugs with doing that in the Manage Characters window. In the meantime, I would be curious if you experience any of the same strangeness if you start a new campaign and then edit your characters in there.

-Doug

Trancekat
January 13th, 2016, 16:13
Hello Trancekit,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. I originally assumed that you were importing them into a campaign and having them not save. Once characters are part of a campaign, they are managed within that campaign specifically. From there, they can be exported back out and imported into a new campaign if you like; however, most people just continue on with the same campaign even if they run new modules. A campaign can be thought of as a collection of characters.

It sounds like you are doing most of your importing and exporting within the Manage Characters window. I suspect this might be the problem and I will ask Moon Wizard to check it out to see if there might be any bugs with doing that in the Manage Characters window. In the meantime, I would be curious if you experience any of the same strangeness if you start a new campaign and then edit your characters in there.

-Doug

Hi Doug,
Thank you.

Yes, my experience in FG has been in the Manage Characters feature almost exclusively.

I will try out starting a campaign tonight when I get home and post the results. Appreciate your help and suggestions.

Will report back tonight.

Alex

Cratylus
January 13th, 2016, 18:56
Hi Doug,

FYI, I am doing exactly the same as Alex/Trancekat and having the same issue. I will look into the approach you suggested (as I am not currently DMing).

Tom

damned
January 13th, 2016, 22:01
Unable to save is almost always a permissions issue.
This can often be overcome by "running FantasyGrounds as Administrator".

With another community member recently we were troubleshooting his permissions - they were pretty messed up.
We created a new windows user account and installed FG with default settings and put the license key in and FG was able to save properly.
If you have a little time (and the will) you might like to try this.

Cratylus
January 21st, 2016, 01:35
I tested running FG at work on my PC and it works if I use the Administrator setting as a number of you suggest. You can't do that on OSX, as far as I know, so I'm SOL. I recently used Roll20 without issue with OSX, btw. Please keep in mind I am a player, not DM, so I haven't saved any campaigns or played with router port settings.

ddavison
January 21st, 2016, 01:42
Hello Cratylus,

What issues are you having with the install on OSX?

If you are running the Demo on Steam, some people have had to toggle to the BETA build and back to get it to pick up the latest build for some reason. If you are running the demo and it doesn't launch, try opening the properties and setting the BETAS tab to the 'preelcapitan' build, letting it finish download and then launch. You will get an x11 error on OSX if you are running el Capitan. Then go back to the BETAS tab and put it back to None on the BETAS option. Wait for it to finish and then when you launch it, you should get a notice about installing Mono and then Gecko. Allow both and you should be set.

Cratylus
January 21st, 2016, 20:12
I am using Steam, as Wineskin wasn't saving. I have a paid licence (not Ultimate). I can run the program, but it's still not saving characters. I did get the notice about installing Mono and Gecko, but I recall in your wiki you said it's unnecessary, so haven't (I think I tried once and aborted as it hung). Note that running as sys admin worked on my work Windows PC - is there an OSX work around? Thanks

ddavison
January 21st, 2016, 20:17
Are you making changes within the Manage Characters or are you editing characters inside a campaign? Once you are inside a campaign, the character becomes a part of that campaign and will be saved whenever the campaign saves. Can you tell us what steps you are taking with your characters and where you are seeing the issues?

I also recommend installing Mono and Gecko.

Moon Wizard
January 21st, 2016, 20:31
Also, make sure you are closing Fantasy Grounds by right clicking within the application desktop and selecting Exit.

I believe that the Mac Finder quit option kills the app before it can save, in some cases.

Regards,
JPG

Cratylus
January 22nd, 2016, 06:34
Also, make sure you are closing Fantasy Grounds by right clicking within the application desktop and selecting Exit.

I believe that the Mac Finder quit option kills the app before it can save, in some cases.

Regards,
JPG

Believe it or not, the right click exit worked! I had been trying to exit using the top menu, which didn't work. Did I ever waste a lot of time. Thanks, guys.

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2016, 22:11
Yeah, unfortunately, it's a quirk of working through Wine in the Mac. That's one of the reasons why we are already working on a cross platform rewrite.

Regards,
JPG

Trancekat
January 22nd, 2016, 22:26
Yeah, unfortunately, it's a quirk of working through Wine in the Mac. That's one of the reasons why we are already working on a cross platform rewrite.

Regards,
JPG

If possible, when rewriting the code, could you have it run without super user rights? Is a big security hole to require root priv to run a user space application.

I'm no coder of course so i don't know the level of effort involved, but i am a professional pen tester.

Moon Wizard
January 22nd, 2016, 23:39
FG will only need to be run with administrator permissions if the data location specified in the FG Settings is not editable by the normal user that runs Fantasy Grounds. That's why we recommend that people use the default installation locations to avoid this concern.

Regards,
JPG

Trancekat
January 22nd, 2016, 23:43
FG will only need to be run with administrator permissions if the data location specified in the FG Settings is not editable by the normal user that runs Fantasy Grounds. That's why we recommend that people use the default installation locations to avoid this concern.

Regards,
JPG

Oh! That's wonderful - thank you.

damned
January 22nd, 2016, 23:46
If possible, when rewriting the code, could you have it run without super user rights? Is a big security hole to require root priv to run a user space application.

I'm no coder of course so i don't know the level of effort involved, but i am a professional pen tester.

The new version will be much friendlier to Linux and should not require elevated permissions.