PDA

View Full Version : Sale question

adonndel
December 22nd, 2015, 23:22
It appears that everything made by WoTC except for the DMG is on sale. Did you guys miss the DMG?
I am a little mad about all of the sales. I spent over $350 on FG and Wizard of the coast product the first week of November and I saw the same stuff on sale during thanksgiving and now. (kinda miffed at you guys because I emailed someone before I purchased them asking if there were any sales coming up for thanksgiving or Christmas and your reply was not that you knew of)
I am now refusing to buy anything unless it is on sale because 1) I can get the books cheaper and 2) I could of saved a LOT of money if I had waited 2 weeks.

So I am hoping you guys forgot to include the DMG in the sale prices.

midas
December 22nd, 2015, 23:57
Given that the DMG was just released a couple of weeks ago I'd imagine that it was intentionally excluded from the sale, and from a marketing perspective is unsurprising.

Since I'm not Smiteworks staff I can only guess--with regards to the answer you got about upcoming sales--that they probably wanted to do a sale, but pretty much any time someone is providing a kind of profit-sharing model (such as Smiteworks sharing portions of sales to WotC, Pinnacle Entertainment, etc) discounts need to be run through the people you're sharing with. When you asked about a sale it could be that they had an idea for a sale but didn't have word back from their partners regarding whether they could do so, or for how much, etc.

As for buying things that go on sale shortly thereafter, this is a conundrum that buyers have all the time in all markets. The bottom line is you buy things when you want or need them. If you don't want or need it right now, then wait for a sale. That's consumer education 101.

Also, who *wouldn't* expect sales around Black Friday and Christmas? :)

strebdogman
December 23rd, 2015, 04:29
i spent 175 in books 2 days ago....

Ellspeth
December 23rd, 2015, 12:09
I know how you feel, I hate buying anything anywhere to find it on sale within a few weeks, not just here. Now some here feel free to correct me, but in the something over a year I have been here I have noticed Smiteworks runs sales over Thanksgiving, Christmas, both FG-Cons, and the one I am not as sure of, early summer. Once I realized this unless it is an item I need quickly for a game I can wait for one of these periods for sales. Since this hobby is totally new to me I have a lot of material I am purchasing though I will never ever catch the investment most everyone here has made in this hobby.

Griogre
December 23rd, 2015, 19:50
It's Steam. Once FG was added to Steam it has started conforming to the standard Steam sales which have always been twice a year at the end and middle. Starting a few years ago Steam also started doing Black Friday stuff. Steam also offers "Flash" sales. If you put something on your Steam wishlist you will get an e-mail from them if something you want on your wish list goes on sale. I'd suggest you do that for any of the add ons you are interested in. The FG store matches the Steam sales, normally.

And some consoling words for those who missed a sale - we all know if you use it - most us could spend hundreds of dollars more on our books and after a few years the price paid would still fractions be fractions of a cent per game.

ddavison
December 23rd, 2015, 20:53
We generally have a few sale throughout the year whenever Steam has a big sale. There is one in the summer and generally two back-to-back around Christmas/New Year. The first launches around Black Friday in late November and the other closer to Christmas. Our license with Steam prevents us from disclosing any details about upcoming sale dates or discount amounts. We also have to run all potential sales by each publisher separately. The concern from a publisher and vendor standpoint is always "how can we make the deals significant enough to entice new customers who are on the fence without alienating past customers".

adonndel
December 23rd, 2015, 22:53
Thanks for the information! I do have to say so far I am loving FG and I can't wait for when you release the version in development now using unity engine. Thanks for the reply and happy holidays!

damned
December 23rd, 2015, 23:31
I know how you feel, I hate buying anything anywhere to find it on sale within a few weeks, not just here. Now some here feel free to correct me, but in the something over a year I have been here I have noticed Smiteworks runs sales over Thanksgiving, Christmas, both FG-Cons, and the one I am not as sure of, early summer. Once I realized this unless it is an item I need quickly for a game I can wait for one of these periods for sales. Since this hobby is totally new to me I have a lot of material I am purchasing though I will never ever catch the investment most everyone here has made in this hobby.

Ellspeth - I dont think there are any FG Con timed Sales - they are just good luck if they roll that way :)

Ellspeth
December 24th, 2015, 00:22
Thank you for the clarification everyone. The sale notice I received from Fantasy Grounds on my Facebook indicates the current sale through Smiteworks is through January 4th? I don't think I can hide my bankcard that long :p