PDA

View Full Version : Universal Character Sheet Printer for FG

ddavison
December 22nd, 2015, 20:58
If any brave souls want to help test out some new character sheet printing features for FG, please check the following links. There are XSL sheets for D&D 4E, D&D 5E and Deadlands Reloaded. You should be able to look at those files (the deadlands and 5E ones may be the easiest to follow) and build your own XSL sheets or modify the ones included. This is just an early alpha stage at this point. If we like this general approach, then we can look to include this functionality as a built-in component to Fantasy Grounds once we complete the move to Unity.

Link to the file:
Windows:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGCharacterSheetPrinter.zip

Mac:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGCharacterSheetPrinter.app.zip

Linux:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGCharacterSheetPrinter_Linux.zip

Steps to print your character:

Launch the Campaign and go to the Character Select Window
Export the character using the list menu (turn on first)
Launch the character printing tool
Select an XSL sheet that matches that system (only 3 supported right now)
Select your character xml file that you exported earlier
Select the name of the output HTML
View the result in the launched web browser and print

Update:
2022-11-30 New version uploaded for Windows with new filebrowser and additional XSL stylesheets written by community members in thread

Callum
December 23rd, 2015, 12:52
I was really excited when I saw this thread title! Sadly, it appears I was misled by the word "universal". :cry: I would be so happy if this worked for 3.5E and PFRPG. :D

damned
December 23rd, 2015, 13:34
I *think* the intention is to test it and bed it down on the above rulesets and if its good and worthwhile it may get expanded :)

ddavison
December 23rd, 2015, 15:25
It is Universal in that the tool doesn't care which XSL file is used to layout the content, the ruleset used or what images are used for the background image that you overlay text over. Because each ruleset and each background image is unique, though, it does require someone to perform that layout. If you look in the folder for StreamingAssets/XSLSheets, you will find several XSL files there for the 3 systems it currently supports. You can open this up inside of Notepad++ and see how it references the various data elements and positions them on the page with relatively easy to follow top and left positioning of an HTML div tag.

For Deadlands and D&D 5E, these refer to images that we have placed on our server; however, you could be pulling these from anywhere -- including from the same directory as your XSL and character HTML files.

Nylanfs
December 24th, 2015, 01:34
I was really excited when I saw this thread title! Sadly, it appears I was misled by the word "universal". :cry: I would be so happy if this worked for 3.5E and PFRPG. :D

What's wrong with PCGen for 3.5e and PFRPG? :-)

Callum
December 24th, 2015, 11:08
I currently use PCGen for 3.5E and PFRPG! But it means manually updating the characters in PCGen every time (as well as coding in all the non-core stuff). If there was some way of exporting characters from FG and importing them into PCGen, that would make me very happy, too!

Valarian
December 24th, 2015, 12:01
Will this run against a db.xml if the XSL supports the multiple characters? Is it just running an XSLT transform of the XML to HTML? I've got number of XSL and CSS scripts for rulesets I've produced over the years (e.g. The One Ring, Babylon 5 d20). I usually use JEdit to run the transformation.

Thegroo
December 25th, 2015, 01:53
Great tool.

But the skill names on the backgound pic are hard to read when printed out.

Thanks for your great work

ddavison
December 25th, 2015, 03:01
You can, although the XSL would have to support it and expect multiple characters. Because of how XSL handles variables, they can only be set once, so you wouldn't be able to use variables as shortcuts and would need to be a bit more verbose with your expressions.

Thegroo, which character sheet were you using? Would it be better to put some white fill behind the text?

Thegroo
December 25th, 2015, 11:06
I'm using the 5e sheet.
Don't know about the white fill, i think it needs a bigger font size.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96646710/5e_sheet.jpg

MadCar_1
December 27th, 2015, 02:40
I'm a bit of an outlier in that I run FG on a Mac inside of a Wineskin wrapper. I tried putting this tool inside of a custom wrapper and importing a character sheet. I got only as far as the initial form being loaded. Pressing the button to select a file brought up a blank file explorer dialog. It is highly possible that this is my issue in that I'm new to Wineskin and may not have configured the wrapper appropriately.

If anyone has figured out how to run this within a Wineskin wrapper, please pass along some hints on setup.

MadCar_1

damned
December 27th, 2015, 05:04
without being a mac expert i believe the issue is probably that each wineskin has its own local data locations. you should be able to copy the xml content from the FG wineskin to the new wineskin and see if that works...

ddavison
December 27th, 2015, 14:52
I'm using the 5e sheet.
Don't know about the white fill, i think it needs a bigger font size.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96646710/5e_sheet.jpg

Ahhh, in that case, the skills are part of the actual background image. It probably would have been simpler to simply blank that portion of the sheet out and then loop through the skills and re-write their bonuses and skill name as opposed to manually placing each skill's bonus next to the printed entry on the original sheet.

ddavison
December 27th, 2015, 14:53
I'm a bit of an outlier in that I run FG on a Mac inside of a Wineskin wrapper. I tried putting this tool inside of a custom wrapper and importing a character sheet. I got only as far as the initial form being loaded. Pressing the button to select a file brought up a blank file explorer dialog. It is highly possible that this is my issue in that I'm new to Wineskin and may not have configured the wrapper appropriately.

If anyone has figured out how to run this within a Wineskin wrapper, please pass along some hints on setup.

MadCar_1

MadCar_1, I'm away from my dev machine for a bit with the holidays but since I built this in Unity, I can just compile a version for Mac and Linux and link to that as well. That way you can run a native app. It will be a few days before I can get to it.

Thegroo
December 29th, 2015, 01:36
I have added the skill-/save-proficiencies checkboxes and 'dis' after Stealth (if checked in defences) in the 5e xsl
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96646710/5e_sheet1.jpg

@ddavison
Is it ok to upload the modified XSL (or send to you)?

ddavison
December 29th, 2015, 01:47
I have added the skill-/save-proficiencies checkboxes and 'dis' after Stealth (if checked in defences) in the 5e xsl
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/96646710/5e_sheet1.jpg

@ddavison
Is it ok to upload the modified XSL (or send to you)?

Feel free to upload any modifications or even brand new sheets as well. I expect that over time people may start submitting their own and we will have a large collection that can be included with the rulesets on the wiki.

Thegroo
December 29th, 2015, 02:00
Thanks

Here the link for my 5e_version https://www.dropbox.com/s/i075ks942fuqvqc/CharacterSheet_DND5E_thegroo_v1.xsl?dl=0

cas206
December 29th, 2015, 15:16
Thanks for getting this started.

Most of the sample character sheets I've seen for 5E put the ability score in the small box and the modifier in the large since that is of primary use during the game.

Ran the app on Windows 10 with Chrome and it works. Need to fine tune the font sizes.

Used the XLS sheet under Linux with xalan and the result was not good. A lot of the sheet data was shifted off to the right side of the sheet.

cas206
December 29th, 2015, 15:28
Running app under Linux/Wine, the pop-up box to select a file has no labels and the directory/folder names are missing. Probably doesn't matter if a Linux build is coming.

Running on laptop with integrated Intel graphics chip and 1366x768 native resolution. Under Windows 10 the startup config screen only shows 640x480 as resolution option. Under Linux/Wine the only resolution option is 1366x768.

cas206
December 29th, 2015, 15:43
Used the XLS sheet under Linux with xalan and the result was not good. A lot of the sheet data was shifted off to the right side of the sheet.

Got it to work by adding the -html option which I thought it would pick based upon other inputs.

xalan -html -in Belwar.xml -xsl CharacterSheet_DND5E.xsl -out Belwar.html

cas206
December 29th, 2015, 16:12
The extra -html option for xalan isn't required if <xsl:output is changed to <xsl:output method="html" vice "xml". The result of the app under Windows doesn't seem to change regardless of which method is set.

ddavison
December 31st, 2015, 04:43
I just added Mac and Linux versions of the program to the first post. Can a kind Linux and Mac person test those out for me?

cas206
December 31st, 2015, 05:18
Didn't work under Mint Linux. The window looks fine but it acts like it is ignoring my selection for which folder to pull the XML and where to put the output. The default values don't exist on my system. No output is produced but it could be due to trying to write in a non-existent folder.

Thegroo
January 12th, 2016, 18:18
Here the Link to my 5e version 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjesmorz9cxdj47/CharacterSheet_DND5E_thegroo_v2.xsl?dl=0

Incorporated the profency checks for saves and skills, use of dexterity for melee weapons, and corrected the print layout for page 2
I also labeld the features, traits and printed the feats and senses in the same box.

Update: had to replace V3 with V2 (V3 has my own background pic)

phloog
January 30th, 2016, 05:25
Can someone point me to a link - either in the forum or elsewhere - that somehow explains why Fantasy Grounds doesn't want printing to be a base part of the package? I know it's supposed to be a VTT, but this just blows my mind.

ddavison
January 30th, 2016, 05:27
This feature will be in a future version. It relies upon some new libraries and we don't want to add any more to the current engine at this time for maintenance purposes.

phloog
January 30th, 2016, 05:43
Okay, it's just a very odd situation.

Herolab and D20Pro are powerful and allow some pretty graceful printing, but don't (really) support 5E. FG supports 5E but you can't print.

I see all these folks making very noble attempts to make it work, but are we all really in the minority? I ask because I've owned a Fantasy Grounds license since 2008, and always use a different tool whenever possible because of the printing thing. But since it HAS been around eight years and printing has not been addressed, I feel like maybe I'm only one of about ten users who prints?

damned
January 30th, 2016, 06:08
you are not one of only 10 but it has really only been recently that the votes for printing have been really coming in.
smiteworks are maintaining and improving the current engine plus building the new one so there are only so many things that they can deliver realistically and this hasnt made it to the top of the list at this stage.
this tool does work and you can upload your own char sheets and style sheets so it is quite handy.

Nylanfs
January 30th, 2016, 11:26
PCGen handles 5e :)

phloog
January 30th, 2016, 15:56
PCGen handles 5e :)

Forgive me if I offend, but was your post meant as a joke? I followed the steps in the PCGen post about how to get 5E into it, and the steps seemed to work, but there's almost no content...no languages..lots of drop downs where nothing..um...drops down.

So I'm not sure if something is corrupted in my install, or if your smiley at the end of your post was clueing me in that PCGEN isn't ready to handle 5E...also LOOKS like even if does, they too might stick with SRD only?

EDIT: Yeah, it looks like it's SRD only, so once again completely useless to me unless I enter custom data. I would agree that it 'handles' 5e, but in the same way as HL...not really worth the disk space to have TWO applications that can't handle my character.

ddavison
January 30th, 2016, 16:14
phloog, are you not able to print your 5E character that you built in FG from this tool? Since this method is likely how we will support the printing of characters from within FG in the future, we are looking for feedback on the output for this directly.

JohnD
January 30th, 2016, 17:00
Man there's a lot of negativity going on.

LordEntrails
January 30th, 2016, 19:19
I see all these folks making very noble attempts to make it work, but are we all really in the minority? I ask because I've owned a Fantasy Grounds license since 2008, and always use a different tool whenever possible because of the printing thing. But since it HAS been around eight years and printing has not been addressed, I feel like maybe I'm only one of about ten users who prints?

I don't know, it's an interesting question. I've never had a desire to print out my FG characters, and neither have my players.

We play both around the table and online, but in neither situation has anyone wanted a print out. I guess I can see why someone might, but to us it's just something we don't need.

cas206
February 1st, 2016, 02:56
CharacterSheet_DND5E_cas206_v1.xsl (https://www.dropbox.com/s/31b64hs15h99zh4/CharacterSheet_DND5E_cas206_v1.xsl?dl=0)

Starts with ...thegroo_v2.xsl and swaps the attribute and bonus size/location.

kuthulu
February 10th, 2016, 14:51
Has anyone put together a basic XSL for the PFRPG ruleset? I was going to take a look but if I don't have to start from scratch it would save me time.

Also, I use PCGen to manage my PC's. It works well for us.

cas206
February 11th, 2016, 04:16
Has anyone put together a basic XSL for the PFRPG ruleset?

I have not used this. I just remember seeing the post. See if that still works and fits your needs.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22462-Printable-or-character-WEB-page-from-FG-XML-character-files

kuthulu
February 11th, 2016, 15:32
Thx! That will get me started.

Callum
February 11th, 2016, 15:39
Has anyone put together a basic XSL for the PFRPG ruleset? I was going to take a look but if I don't have to start from scratch it would save me time.

Also, I use PCGen to manage my PC's. It works well for us.

I, too, use PCGen to manage my PCs - but I'd also really like an XSL conversion for PFRPG, so I'll follow your progress with interest!

kuthulu
February 11th, 2016, 17:14
Hrmm, well I guess the first step would be to get the Universal Character Sheet Printer for FG working on my PC. I'm running Linux Mint 17.2. It starts up fine but I get no output files or indication of errors/success.

Nekkroe
March 15th, 2016, 06:31
Just wanted to say thanks for this! Recently went to GaryCon and everything printed out fine. \m/

Patou
April 8th, 2016, 14:23
Is it normal that the character sheet comes out like this?
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=A69B9FE25CE773D4&resid=A69B9FE25CE773D4%211287&authkey=AOA3XCuhzwy8zJM&em=2" width="476" height="288" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Patou
April 8th, 2016, 14:26
I don't know if anybody is able to see my problem... having a hard time adding a file or pic

Patou
April 8th, 2016, 14:29
https://hptahg.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y3mN9msL3cTZ3a9Z0CUdyxLXz-2XsbwkeaDCGemHDhwZia3KHouqUrt5PzJlo-w_O5XU7cCUCJZ-uTnVADnwlR_E47zLENsVed_8Y8IlZzxnjFPUEbVGdTEtEuRXDB Th-kLIYrfXHCcgo8zRjnBocInehFx3SZTLj-slbVOO9wD6mA?width=522&height=665&cropmode=none

This is the only page that has stuff on it and I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong?

Targas
April 8th, 2016, 15:16
At least it's the same I get as well...

ddavison
April 8th, 2016, 16:44
Try this update. I reduce some of the font sizes, put word-wrap on the name for longer names and implemented the updates from cas206 to incorporate the proficiencies and Disadvantage.

Targas
April 8th, 2016, 20:07
I'm unable to add attachments to this thread. I've made a change, which makes it look better IMHO. Any ideas on how-to post?

ddavison
April 8th, 2016, 20:42
It should now allow an attachment of a .xsl file. If that doesn't work, you can email me at [email protected] and I can post it on your behalf.

Targas
April 8th, 2016, 21:44
It doesn't, no permission. Mail sent.

Bobs
April 9th, 2016, 12:58
It works fine for my players. Thank you!!!

Patou
April 11th, 2016, 15:22
Try this update. I reduce some of the font sizes, put word-wrap on the name for longer names and implemented the updates from cas206 to incorporate the proficiencies and Disadvantage.

Thanks Doug!

Erin Righ
May 14th, 2016, 04:37
Hey Doug, i made an xsl and background files for a 4 page 3.5E sheet, I'll email the lot to you as it won't let me upload them, this being my second post (They first being Hey! Where can I find the thread about the fg printer utility there are a couple of issues but i don't know how to code them.

the code i need is in
<classes>
<id-00001>
<level type="number">12</level>
<name type="string">Paragon</name>
</id-00001>
<id-00002>
<level type="number">20</level>
<name type="string">Paladin</name>
</id-00002>

where i need it to count the number of classes/id-000XX/level and add them together to generate ECL

second problem is in the string
<id-00001>
<bonus type="number">9</bonus>
<critmult type="number">3</critmult>
<dice type="dice">d10</dice>
<stat type="string">strength</stat>
<statmax type="number">0</statmax>
<statmult type="number">1</statmult>
<type type="string">Slashing</type>
</id-00001>

Where i need it to multiply stat (up to statmax) by statmult and add it to bonus then display the result

Then I need it to be able to read

<id-00001>
<bonus type="number">11</bonus>
<critmult type="number">3</critmult>
<dice type="dice">d6,d6,d6</dice>
<stat type="string">strength</stat>
<statmax type="number">0</statmax>
<statmult type="number">1</statmult>
<type type="string">Slashing</type>
</id-00001>

and add the value of dice to itself to come up with the figure 3D6

Any help with this would be appreciated

Erin

harrisben
July 7th, 2016, 07:39
When I generate a character sheet using this tool it doesn't fill the page (it's stuck up in the top left). As far as I can see it doesn't fill show skill or saving throw proficiencies, but mainly it's the who stuck in the top left of the page thing that kills this for me. I'm not realy a fan of the font either, but if I could get the sheet to output at an appropriate size with all the correct details then I could live with it.

There's also the added problem that I'm sure this is being designed to work perfectly with letter paper size, but we use A4 here, which is narrower but longer.

I really wish this was working because it would make my life a lot easier, as well as making the justification for the mountain of money I've spent to get and keep access to officially licensed D&D systems and content.

What can I do to get this moving, because it really feels like this has stalled.

Zacchaeus
July 7th, 2016, 09:22
There is this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22440-5E-Character-sheet-from-XML) if you are printing out 5e characters. I don't know if it is any better since I've never printed out a character but it might be worth a go.

jebwhs87
July 8th, 2016, 15:25
Ok, not sure what I am missing. I have selected a character export file (xml) that was exported from FG. Next I click on Make Printable Character and nothing happens. Where does it create the file? Should I see it on my screen or saved someplace as PDF?
Here is my log file:
Initialize engine version: 5.1.1f1 (2046fc06d4d8)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (ID=0x1916)
Vendor: Intel
VRAM: 128 MB
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Analytics.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Analytics.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in 0.108 seconds
desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 4400x2430 at -781,-1350
<RI> Initializing input.

XInput1_3.dll not found. Trying XInput9_1_0.dll instead...
<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: 968 -> priority: 1
Platform assembly: C:\Users\Jonathan Bohlmann\Google Drive\DnD 5e\FGCharacterSheetPrinter\FGCharacterSheetPrinter _Data\Managed\UnityScript.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)

jebwhs87
July 8th, 2016, 15:28
NM... realized now that you have to fill in ALL THREE blanks. Sheets look nice.

ddavison
July 8th, 2016, 15:34
Yep, sounds like you got it.

jebwhs87
July 8th, 2016, 17:40
After looking this over and the print character by Adventures League on-line tools (https://www.alonlinetools.net/FGCharacterSheet.aspx), I like theirs better. You should see what it would take to get their code. I like the show spells, helps the players not needing to drag the PHB if they don't want to as some of my players like to get together and play using FG as console but want to look at the paper ahead of thier turn.

January 21st, 2017, 03:14
A slightly bigger font would be helpful. It would also be nice if it could export to word or PDF. If it could export to Word you could easily add pictures.

dikdastard
February 27th, 2017, 17:33
Wonder if anyone still working on this project? Ability to print paper character sheets REALLY useful for us tabletoppers and while I realise not the main emphasis of FG, making it more accessible to those of us that are using it as a GM aid/virtual battlemap like with the new innovations around manual dice rolling would really broaden the appeal of the software.
I've tried the current version and it only seems to like IE when it comes to browsers. However the biggest problem (trying Deadlands template) is seems to lose a lot of the info, specifically all the equipment for one but also any powers/gizmos seem to be lost somewhere in translation also.
I did use it in my 5E campaign also but found it did not port things like spells across if I recall- I moved on to the online tool instead which did a better job but of course there is no equivalent that I know of for Savage Worlds/DLR

Nekkroe
March 7th, 2017, 20:56
^ I need print outs for cons!

Miles Reid
March 11th, 2017, 00:22
Worked well, except for the length of text in traits - if too long it overlaps with other text. I suggest either cutting off the text adding...

Nylanfs
March 11th, 2017, 13:47
Welcome to the forums and FG community Miles!

rob2e
March 15th, 2017, 09:03
Has anyone done anything for Savage Worlds?

rob2e
March 16th, 2017, 21:07
Any chance this (or anything else) can print out Interface Zero 2.0 (which really is just the regular Savage Worlds) XML character sheets? I would really like to print out my SW PCs.

damned
March 16th, 2017, 22:31
Hey rob2e the whole idea behind this tool is for people to create and share their own print definitions.

rob2e
March 16th, 2017, 22:36
Hey rob2e the whole idea behind this tool is for people to create and share their own print definitions.

Oh so there's WORK involved? LOL

I'm more looking for the "someone's already done it" version.

damned
March 16th, 2017, 23:12
Oh so there's WORK involved? LOL

I'm more looking for the "someone's already done it" version.

Oh - I got that impression - thats why I responded!

:bandit:

midas
June 13th, 2017, 23:00
Is it just me or does the 5e sheet not take up the entire page? I've gone through the posts here and haven't seen anyone mention it (and I downloaded the v2 of the 5E XSL). When I open the HTML to print it it looks like this (and prints the same):

https://i.imgur.com/2lo6CO9.jpg

Printing to standard 8.5" x 11", tried both in Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Howell Family
June 20th, 2017, 13:57
Is it just me or does the 5e sheet not take up the entire page? I've gone through the posts here and haven't seen anyone mention it (and I downloaded the v2 of the 5E XSL). When I open the HTML to print it it looks like this (and prints the same):

I've emailed the person who I believe programmed the page, and my impression was that it's a bit of a "work in progress" and something that he works on when he has time, but it's not at the top of his priority list since it's functional. I've moved away from it and use a PDF by More Purple More Better on the DM's Guild (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=morepurplemorebetter&). It's more work, but I like the end results I get with the PDF more than I do with the web version. But for fast results it's hard to be the web version.

Nylanfs
June 20th, 2017, 14:05
Perhaps I could suggest PCGen as an alternate also. :)

midas
June 20th, 2017, 14:19
I've emailed the person who I believe programmed the page, and my impression was that it's a bit of a "work in progress" and something that he works on when he has time, but it's not at the top of his priority list since it's functional. I've moved away from it and use a PDF by More Purple More Better on the DM's Guild (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=morepurplemorebetter&). It's more work, but I like the end results I get with the PDF more than I do with the web version. But for fast results it's hard to be the web version.

I'm not referring to a web version of anything; I'm using the printer that Doug posted at the beginning of this thread.

I did see a website one elsewhere here on the forums but the text didn't line up with the all of the character sheet lines.

Perhaps I could suggest PCGen as an alternate also. :)

Does it import FG character XML files?

Nylanfs
June 20th, 2017, 16:55
No, it lets you make a character and export to a html or xml file to print or import into FG.

Trentis
June 24th, 2017, 19:54
It would be nice if you could choose to leave out the ability score section. allowing you to pencil them in.

ddavison
June 24th, 2017, 19:58
It would be nice if you could choose to leave out the ability score section. allowing you to pencil them in.

There is an XSL file (or a few actually) that you can edit to remove sections. I would recommend saving it as a different name. Then just pick up the modified version when you print if you don't want the ability scores.

midas
July 1st, 2017, 00:25
Would editing the XSL in some way change the printing issue I posted about a couple of weeks ago? that's the only issue I've had with it so far.

ddavison
July 1st, 2017, 03:48
Would editing the XSL in some way change the printing issue I posted about a couple of weeks ago? that's the only issue I've had with it so far.

I suspect the printing issue might be related to a browser or local configuration; however, there should be a viewport setting that you can probably adjust to change the scale of the final html.

Frunobulax
July 1st, 2017, 20:07
One little thing - the version I just downloaded for some reason does not allow you to select any drive other than C: when browsing for XML files. Might it be possible to find characters on other drives? Thanks!

midas
July 3rd, 2017, 15:30
One little thing - the version I just downloaded for some reason does not allow you to select any drive other than C: when browsing for XML files. Might it be possible to find characters on other drives? Thanks!

I'm assuming it's looking at your Fantasy Grounds Appdata folder, as my appdata is located on my F: drive, and that's where it's defaulting to for me. I also couldn't find a way to change off of that drive.

deer_buster
July 8th, 2017, 05:40
5e AL Character printing..will provide export and html file for comparison if you let me know where

Several issues (to name a few)

Font and text sizing for Background, Faction, Race, Alignment, XP

Items list issues, missing money, missing inspiration, missing eyes, skin & hair

Captcorajus
August 1st, 2017, 22:14
Never mind

Trenloe
August 1st, 2017, 22:16
I choose the 5E XSL file, what puzzles me is what HTML File am I suppose to choose?
HTML is the output file you'll open in a browser.

See Step 6 in the first post: "Select the name of the output HTML"

It's just the name (and location) of the resulting character sheet. Remember where you Save it so you can access it in future.

Stitched
August 7th, 2017, 19:35
I just tried this and have all three "slots" filled out (1- selected 5e sheet template, 2 - selected char .xml from FG, 3- output file) and it doesn't seem to generate a file?

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2017, 19:47
I just tried this and have all three "slots" filled out (1- selected 5e sheet template, 2 - selected char .xml from FG, 3- output file) and it doesn't seem to generate a file?
Works for me. Windows 7.

No errors or anything else being generated? You have write permissions to the destination folder?

Stitched
August 7th, 2017, 19:55
Works for me. Windows 7.

No errors or anything else being generated? You have write permissions to the destination folder?

No error was generated or anything. I re-ran the software as Administrator and it spat out a file.

LordEntrails
August 7th, 2017, 20:33
No error was generated or anything. I re-ran the software as Administrator and it spat out a file.
Ah, if you don't want to run as an admin in the future, check the folder the exe is in and your destination folder, make sure your permissions are set to full on both of those and you shouldn't have any problems.

Ramtrap
August 9th, 2017, 21:01
Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about making a Fantasy Grounds-approved and relate-able PC sheet that could be created in Fantasy Grounds and exported as an app on iOS and Android? There's a lot of people who play using Fantasy Grounds as their base for their home games, and I'd love to be able to use my phone as my PC sheet. Would love even more if the DM were able to apportion out loot or messages or notes or something using wireless technology. That said, does anyone know of any work being done with something like this, or is this something other people would find useful? Am I the only one?

Note that I'm not at all asking the FG people to do extra work, I'm just curious if it's even on their radar, or if they would be amenable to a community-created FG app (apps?).

LordEntrails
August 9th, 2017, 22:50
Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about making a Fantasy Grounds-approved and relate-able PC sheet that could be created in Fantasy Grounds and exported as an app on iOS and Android? ...
I'm sure someone has thought about it, but you are the first I've heard of to mention it :)

I don't know why you couldn't just use this or the ALOnline printer to make your sheet and then just open in on your phone or tablet. No need for an app since you phone can already open html and pdf files.

Of course that wouldn't be connected, but I suspect anyone who has thought of making it connected is just waiting for the Unity build were cross platform capabilities will be much easier to implement (or might even be available soon after release from Smiteworks).

Nylanfs
August 10th, 2017, 01:14
PCGen Character importer Lite (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dysfunctional.apps.pcgencharactersh eetlite&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorgani c%26utm_term%3Dpcgen+character+sheet+lite&pcampaignid=APPU_1_46SLWczxC-PejwSVi5bYCw) is a good example.

Ramtrap
August 10th, 2017, 02:19
I'm sure someone has thought about it, but you are the first I've heard of to mention it :)

I don't know why you couldn't just use this or the ALOnline printer to make your sheet and then just open in on your phone or tablet. No need for an app since you phone can already open html and pdf files.

Of course that wouldn't be connected, but I suspect anyone who has thought of making it connected is just waiting for the Unity build were cross platform capabilities will be much easier to implement (or might even be available soon after release from Smiteworks).

I think what I'm more interested in is the instant feedback an integrated Fantasy Grounds app could offer (theoretically, at least). Roll initiative from the phone, shows up in the chat. Attack and cast spells and do your ability and skill checks with an app. DMs could dole out loot on the app or share PC-specific images or maps with them. I realize this 'theoretical' app is a LOT more coding than I'm making it sound, but we've seen the apps for PCs that exist right now. Fantasy Grounds does it better, and having an integrated app with the actual software (Unity or not) would be a dream. If I knew programming any better, I'd make it myself, but alas I'm a little lost beyond standard Facebook posts.

LordEntrails
August 10th, 2017, 03:15
Wait for Unity. Though phone and tablets are not listed as what will be available at initial launch, we might be surprised and FG will be available on iOS and Android too soon after. If not, it will be a better architecture for a community dev to attempt something like you are describing.

Ramtrap
August 10th, 2017, 03:54
Wait for Unity. Though phone and tablets are not listed as what will be available at initial launch, we might be surprised and FG will be available on iOS and Android too soon after. If not, it will be a better architecture for a community dev to attempt something like you are describing.

As patiently as I can, I will. Thank you for the reply!

Shieldstromme
October 13th, 2017, 14:29
Hi Guys,

I've been doing some work on this tool for 5e DnD characters & have developed a couple of stylesheets (One based on the Print character, one 'responsive' one for use on tablets/phones/etc.).

I've packaged the tool up onto a simple website so people can have a play - https://tmstest.noip.me/fgc

You should be able to upload any FG 5e DnD exported character sheet & the page will apply the selected stylesheet.

The responsive sheet is a work in progress, I'm considering using HTML5 local storage to enable some bits to be saved.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Howell Family
October 13th, 2017, 14:40
I really like what you're doing here, please keep up the great work! I would definitely use this.

Falselight
October 13th, 2017, 15:28
i use this for 5e and i get this error when i open in chrome or Edge

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<html xmlns:saxon="https://saxon.sf.net/">

Thegroo
October 13th, 2017, 15:30
Hi Guys,

I've been doing some work on this tool for 5e DnD characters & have developed a couple of stylesheets (One based on the Print character, one 'responsive' one for use on tablets/phones/etc.).

I've packaged the tool up onto a simple website so people can have a play - https://tmstest.noip.me/fgc

You should be able to upload any FG 5e DnD exported character sheet & the page will apply the selected stylesheet.

The responsive sheet is a work in progress, I'm considering using HTML5 local storage to enable some bits to be saved.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Looking good

Shieldstromme
October 13th, 2017, 15:33

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

What is the name of the character you created?

Falselight
October 13th, 2017, 15:34
Shieldstromme the error i get is from the FG version of the software not yours. yours works great

Shieldstromme
October 13th, 2017, 15:36
AH, OK. I'll let people know when the 'Responsive' template is finished. In the meantime I'd welcome any feedback!

ddavison
October 13th, 2017, 19:10

Hello Falselight, which stylesheet did you select? I just tested it on a new 5E character I had and it opened fine in Google Chrome -- other than the fonts being too big for several areas.

Shieldstromme
October 17th, 2017, 12:29
Just for people's information - I've moved the site to https://cobrastkd.com/fgc as the other 'server' was a PC that is off more often than it's on. This one should be up all the time! If you happen to live in Worcester (UK) check out the parent cobrastkd site as well ;)

jjod27
November 2nd, 2017, 16:59
I have downloaded the Mac version, I add all the data and click the button and nothing happens. Am I missing something?

ddavison
November 2nd, 2017, 17:22
Can you tell if the HTML Output file is built in the directory and location that you specified? If so, can you open that file in your web browser and print it out?

December 10th, 2017, 17:48
Well both the Windows and Linux versions fails to run under emulation in FreeBSD. Sigh... I expected as much. This new Unity version is going to really mess me up. I'm just moaning here I fully understand that I'm the only guy here that doesn't use Windows a Mac -or- Linux... Hey SmiteWorks wanna "hire" me to do some UNIX ports?... Will work for an NDA and source code :)

damned
December 10th, 2017, 23:54
Have you tried using your own WINE install on your BSD and then following the FG WINE instructions perhaps?

December 12th, 2017, 03:23
WINE is how I get FG to run and yes I've pretty much followed the guides for running it that are on the website. Little different for FreeBSD but the principles are the same. Pretty sure that my problem is you making use of DirectX11 in the character printer and I don't have support for that yet... Also looks like there is a 64bit DLL call in there as well and the wine I'm using under FreeBSD is 32bit only. But I haven't looked into that deeply. I could send in the errors but it's such an edge case that I don't think it worth either of our time. I'm just hoping the new Unity version will run on the 64bit version of wine for FreeBSD but it's so buggy (wine64 is) that I'm not holding my breath. If not I can always fire up a VM... I only have 16 CPU's on this box I *guess* I can get by with 14 or so after I give 2 to a VM...

damned
December 12th, 2017, 06:12
WINE is how I get FG to run and yes I've pretty much followed the guides for running it that are on the website. Little different for FreeBSD but the principles are the same. Pretty sure that my problem is you making use of DirectX11 in the character printer and I don't have support for that yet... Also looks like there is a 64bit DLL call in there as well and the wine I'm using under FreeBSD is 32bit only. But I haven't looked into that deeply. I could send in the errors but it's such an edge case that I don't think it worth either of our time. I'm just hoping the new Unity version will run on the 64bit version of wine for FreeBSD but it's so buggy (wine64 is) that I'm not holding my breath. If not I can always fire up a VM... I only have 16 CPU's on this box I *guess* I can get by with 14 or so after I give 2 to a VM...

You only have to do without the 2 cpus while the VM is running!

vainazzo
March 14th, 2018, 19:33
Is there a way to get this expanded for other games like Castles and Crusades?

Trenloe
March 14th, 2018, 20:08
Is there a way to get this expanded for other games like Castles and Crusades?

From post #1: "You should be able to look at those files (the deadlands and 5E ones may be the easiest to follow) and build your own XSL sheets or modify the ones included."

Nibelungo
April 5th, 2018, 19:04
Hello all!!

Please, how can i talk with some FG's developer about some problems with mutiple screens suport!?

ChumSlinger
April 5th, 2018, 21:12
Hello all!!

Please, how can i talk with some FG's developer about some problems with mutiple screens suport!?

You could start with a post in the "The House of Healing (Customer support)" section of the forums. Also make sure you do a search to see if your question has already been addressed in another post.

damned
April 5th, 2018, 23:52
Welcome Nibelungo

If its to do with this tool then post it here in this thread.
If its to do with FG in general post it in the House of Healing or review any of the many other Dual Monitor threads and see if your answer is there.

dubbomale
July 18th, 2018, 05:46
it works well and looks good but i do hate having to select three different locations to print off one character

Xemit
October 10th, 2018, 22:22
On page two of HTML output, the character name is included twice for the 5E XSL (line 327). Much of the title text is too large and over writes adjoining fields. Some tweaks to the XSL will fix most of this.

I'd attach the modified XSL, but I apparently don't have permission to do so.

jkagie
June 30th, 2019, 20:35
I haven't gone through the whole thread, are they collecting comments?
For the 5E sheet: Background, race, Experience points, Alignment text is too large and overlaps.
In general I like the looks better than the alonline tool.
Once it is readable it will be great.

YamaShintaku
October 24th, 2019, 17:47
My buddy and I took a peek and would like to take a crack at making the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition character sheet... Before we dive too deep, I just wanted to check in and make sure no one else is tackling this?

jkagie
October 24th, 2019, 18:35
Not to my knowledge. You can run a google search and see if anything comes up.

Weissrolf
December 15th, 2019, 22:07
Edit: I am stupid. I accidentally mixed PNG and JPG files. I can load local images now.

Bonny Bella
January 8th, 2020, 00:48
This is where I am too. I don't understand what I need to do

Bonny Bella
January 8th, 2020, 00:49
I have downloaded the Mac version, I add all the data and click the button and nothing happens. Am I missing something?

This is what I have done too. I click the button and nothing happens. I can anyone help me?

Neovirtus
January 13th, 2020, 00:59
Just tried this out for the first time today. Was disappointed it doesn't seem to print spells or actions. Is there something I need to do differently for that?

pollux
February 29th, 2020, 19:46
Hey folks, I took a look at character sheet export and wasn't in love with the available options so started a different take on a 5e sheet. In particular, I didn't like basing the sheet off images of the WotC or AL sheets because:

This leads to small but odd-looking alignment problems that are supremely fiddly to adjust and not really solvable en-masse.
It constrains us on space, meaning that anything that doesn't fit into the space allotted in the image just has to be cut off. This particularly bit me on stuff like personality, ideals, and bonds.

Unfortunately, I didn't actually finish the sheet... and I'm likely stalled on time to work on it for a while... but rather than sit on the unfinished thing I figured I'd post it half done and see if it inspired anyone to race to me to finish. Here's a screenshot of how far I've gotten:

Name, Class, Level(s), Background, and other top-level metadata get populated.
Ability scores
Saves and proficiencies
HP
Languages and Proficiences
A few other little boxes and fields

Spells, class features, inventory, and the role-play text fields aren't done yet. And this is where some of the benefits of the new sheet would come in, as these boxes could be restyled to grow on demand.

Here's a screenshot of how it look so far (someday I'm going to figure out how to inline an image here, but not today):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31817&d=1583005434

ddavison
February 29th, 2020, 20:31
Hey folks, I took a look at character sheet export and wasn't in love with the available options so started a different take on a 5e sheet.

Great work. That is a very smart approach that should be much more flexible.

jkagie
February 29th, 2020, 21:39
Looks good!

erithian
March 25th, 2020, 18:36
Hi,

As there wasn't a sheet for the pathfinder2 ruleset I've been playing around with the xsl for use in the character sheet generator. with the following results. It is based on a table structure using my meagre knowledge of HTML and newly learnt XSL skills :)

this is the xsl file - just simply add it to the FGCharacterSheetPrinter_Data\StreamingAssets\XSLSh eets folder and you should be good to go

Trenloe
March 25th, 2020, 19:17
Hi,

As there wasn't a sheet for the pathfinder2 ruleset I've been playing around with the xsl for use in the character sheet generator. with the following results. It is based on a table structure using my meagre knowledge of HTML and newly learnt XSL skills :)
Very cool! Thanks for sharing your work.

ddavison
March 25th, 2020, 19:25
Hi,

this is the xsl file - just simply add it to the FGCharacterSheetPrinter_Data\StreamingAssets\XSLSh eets folder and you should be good to go

Excellent work.

dchristie1a
April 27th, 2020, 20:54
Any news on this in the last 3.5 years? I would really like to extend this to cover some of the sheets, and systems I am using, including some tweaks to the application. Is the code in a Git repository or somewhere I can access it?

- Dave

ddavison
April 27th, 2020, 21:13
We are not planning to release the source code. It is a pretty simple XSL transformation applied to an XML source document. The app let’s you choose the XML and XSL.

It is set up to work with different rulesets and character sheets by just building a new XSL file.

Nightstride
May 18th, 2020, 01:39
<snip>

Edited:

Derp - Wrong thread - my bad

ddavison
May 22nd, 2020, 20:57
Hi,

Erithian,

Would you be okay with us including your XSL sheet in an official release and/or update for Fantasy Grounds? If so, please email me at [email protected] with your approval and attach the latest version of the XSL sheet to that email for our records.

ddavison
May 22nd, 2020, 20:58
Hey folks, I took a look at character sheet export and wasn't in love with the available options so started a different take on a 5e sheet. In particular, I didn't like basing the sheet off images of the WotC or AL sheets because:

This leads to small but odd-looking alignment problems that are supremely fiddly to adjust and not really solvable en-masse.
It constrains us on space, meaning that anything that doesn't fit into the space allotted in the image just has to be cut off. This particularly bit me on stuff like personality, ideals, and bonds.

Unfortunately, I didn't actually finish the sheet... and I'm likely stalled on time to work on it for a while... but rather than sit on the unfinished thing I figured I'd post it half done and see if it inspired anyone to race to me to finish. Here's a screenshot of how far I've gotten:

Name, Class, Level(s), Background, and other top-level metadata get populated.
Ability scores
Saves and proficiencies
HP
Languages and Proficiences
A few other little boxes and fields

Spells, class features, inventory, and the role-play text fields aren't done yet. And this is where some of the benefits of the new sheet would come in, as these boxes could be restyled to grow on demand.

Here's a screenshot of how it look so far (someday I'm going to figure out how to inline an image here, but not today):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31817&d=1583005434

Pollux,

Would you be okay with us including your XSL sheet in an official release and/or update for Fantasy Grounds? If so, please email me at [email protected] with your approval and attach the latest version of the XSL sheet to that email for our records.

pdzoch
December 2nd, 2020, 16:59
Has anyone done any further work on Pollux's sheet? I'd like to see this finished product.

mlapoint
March 18th, 2021, 15:25
I downloaded the Linux FG Universal Character Sheet Printer, but I can't find a way to run it in Pop_OS 20.04 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04. Can somebody please let me know how to install it in either system?

Thank You,

Mike LaPointe

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2021, 18:57
The application provided in the original post is a Windows executable only.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2021, 19:03
The application provided in the original post is a Windows executable only.

Regards,
JPG
Sorry Moon, Doug posted Mac and Linux versions as well. I was surprised to find them, but they are in the OP.

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2021, 19:04
That's what I get for answering fast. I'll bump to Doug then.

JPG

cas206
March 19th, 2021, 15:39
I downloaded the Linux FG Universal Character Sheet Printer, but I can't find a way to run it in Pop_OS 20.04 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04. Can somebody please let me know how to install it in either system?

Thank You,

Mike LaPointe

It's not an installer or have an installer, it's the program. For command line, once you download the zip file, move it someplace you like, then unzip it. You will need to change permissions to make it executable "chmod +x FGCharacterSheetPrinter.x86". Then run it, "./FGCharacterSheetPrinter.x86".

Another way to do it, on Ubuntu 20.04, using default file manager is:
1) right click zip file, "Extract Here".
2) Double click, or open the new folder, "FGCharacterSheetPrinter_Linux".
3) right click the file "FGCharacterSheetPrinter.x86", select "Properties", select "Permissions" tab, check the box that says "Allow executing file as a program".
4) Close properties box.
5) Double click "FGCharacterSheetPrinter.x86" to run it.

daddyogreman
March 26th, 2021, 23:28
FYI anyone fighting to get this working in Linux (specifically in my case Ubuntu 18.04 - when I clicked to make a printable sheet nothing happened) all you really need are your exported xml files and the xsl files and you can download xmlto in the public ubuntu repo to do this.

sudo apt-get install xmlto

xmlto -x <xsl_filename> --skip-validation html <character_export>

For some reason the resulting output is the same as the character export filename, except with a .proc extension. If you just rename it to a .html extension, you can then view it on your browser and print it off just fine.

Looks perfect for pollux's XSL file - except as stated previously the XSL isn't finished - Spells, class features, inventory, and the role-play text fields aren't done yet.

I'm desperately trying to find a workable solution to getting character sheets printed off from Fantasy Grounds as I have remote players that unable to run Fantasy Grounds (no computer, tablet only) that I'm just running a second instance of Fantasy Grounds as a player and screen sharing that instance through Discord - which works just fine except for they have no access to anything about their characters unless I pull their character sheet up for them through the screen shared instance and poke around as they ask me to. It's definitely not the best solution.

Dax Doomslayer
March 27th, 2021, 04:12
@daddyogreman, not that I want to advertise a paid extension but this may (or may not) be something you're interested in. It is working pretty well for me for printing out FG character sheets and may be something that might help you...

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/347396/Fantasy-Grounds-Character-Manager?term=christopher+busse

daddyogreman
March 27th, 2021, 06:40
@daddyogreman, not that I want to advertise a paid extension but this may (or may not) be something you're interested in. It is working pretty well for me for printing out FG character sheets and may be something that might help you...

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/347396/Fantasy-Grounds-Character-Manager?term=christopher+busse

I'd be willing to entertain the idea, but they lost me at

Requirements
Windows 7 and up

Don't have a windows machine - I've got a laptop running linux and a laptop running mac.
Thanks for kicking out the idea though!

I'm already thinking I might have to learn some xsl and finish off pollux's sheet.
Just tossing in another vote for Fantasy Grounds to officially support some way to print off a character sheet. It does seem like quite an oversight at this point.

tschellenberg
April 17th, 2021, 16:21
I've put together the start of a sheet for Starfinder. The github repo is here: https://github.com/tony-schellenberg/FGStarfinderCharacterSheetGeneratorTemplate. I've already added a few issues to it for me to keep track of but please feel free to add more.

XSL/Html/CSS is not my strongest area so constructive feedback and pull requests are welcome.

I've attached an (obviously fake) output from an exported character to this post.

Leisure Muffin
April 26th, 2021, 18:46
I can't seem to get any of this to work on Mac(Mojave). I set the .xls and .xml file and named an output, but when i press make printable sheet no .html file is made.

Milmoor
April 28th, 2021, 17:11

Requirements
Windows 7 and up

Don't have a windows machine - I've got a laptop running linux and a laptop running mac.

I'm already thinking I might have to learn some xsl and finish off pollux's sheet.
Just tossing in another vote for Fantasy Grounds to officially support some way to print off a character sheet. It does seem like quite an oversight at this point.

While diving into hell XSL, you could do worse than use this one: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22440-5E-Character-sheet-from-XML

RickSaada
May 27th, 2021, 07:23

Thanks for the tip. We're doing the grand finale to Avernus in person (yay vaccines!) so I needed to get everyone's info out of FG. This was exactly what I needed and was well worth the $10 to avoid massive hassles. The reference book for the characters will be a godsend, especially given how the information is scattered across a half a dozen books.

Jiminimonka
June 3rd, 2021, 09:11
I can't seem to get any of this to work on Mac(Mojave). I set the .xls and .xml file and named an output, but when i press make printable sheet no .html file is made.

Yeah doesn't work in Linux either.

vainazzo
June 3rd, 2021, 12:58

Requirements
Windows 7 and up

I run linux too, if you want to run it you might want to try it with playonlinux (I run a ubuntu based distro). BTW I dont meet many other linux users on here.

tschellenberg
June 3rd, 2021, 15:09
I've been working on Linux for a while with this but couldn't get the binary in this thread to work either. It launches but doesn't seem to run anything when I click the button to generate output.

If you don't need the UI, there are some other posts in this thread with a couple of options. One is xalan and the other is... xmlto I think. I've been working with xalan and it seems to work well. I can't see any noticeable difference between what I get from xalan vs running the UI in Windows.

Here's a link to a helpful post in this thread: Xalan Post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27390-Universal-Character-Sheet-Printer-for-FG&p=245977&viewfull=1#post245977)

I don't have a Mac to test and I'm not sure about the package management system there but xalan may be an option if it's available.

ddavison
June 3rd, 2021, 20:26

What is the path you have set for the HTML and do you know if there are write restrictions on that location? It should create an html file and then launch a browser to display the result. At least, that is what it does in Windows.

vainazzo
June 3rd, 2021, 20:29
what is the path you have set for the html and do you know if there are write restrictions on that location? It should create an html file and then launch a browser to display the result. At least, that is what it does in windows.

we invoked ddavison!!!!

Jiminimonka
June 3rd, 2021, 23:51
What is the path you have set for the HTML and do you know if there are write restrictions on that location? It should create an html file and then launch a browser to display the result. At least, that is what it does in Windows.

I can launch it, select the xml file etc. but print does nothing. It also doesn't remember path names between use (even in the same session). I'll check permissions tomorrow and report back. (Linux)

ddavison
June 4th, 2021, 00:01
we invoked ddavison!!!!

If you say "ddavison" 3 times in the mirror at midnight... your spouse will start looking at you very strangely.

LordEntrails
June 4th, 2021, 03:35
If you say "ddavison" 3 times in the mirror at midnight... your spouse will start looking at you very strangely.
Not if she is asleep!

Jiminimonka
June 4th, 2021, 11:30
Not if she is asleep!

��������

Philip Poe
November 29th, 2021, 04:07
No matter what Printing app I use I can't find my character files, just the campaign file. What gives?

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2021, 04:09
No matter what Printing app I use I can't find my character files, just the campaign file. What gives?
You will need to export your character to files first. Then they will be where you select them to be saved.

Philip Poe
November 29th, 2021, 05:53
You will need to export your character to files first. Then they will be where you select them to be saved.

Well sheeet fire to save matches, look at that! It worked lickety-split. Mighty thanks partner!

swbuza
May 10th, 2022, 13:47
Anyone got this working with Pathfinder 1E?

Laerun
May 10th, 2022, 14:48
This tool is older. It probably needs some work. The initial design was not originally designed for PF1e. I am not aware of anyone modifying this utility.

Blackwolfe
May 17th, 2022, 17:53
Does anyone know of a new or updated version that works well with Unity as of May 17, 2022?
It'd be great if I found on on Forge, (but didn't)
We're moving our wonderful FGU game to one time a month in person, we'll be using FGU for the DM only and REALLY want to print character sheets for the players that match FGU.

Miloh
June 22nd, 2022, 02:48
16 pages of replies.

Can't we get a button that says "print character sheet" ?

Not trying to be sarcastic, just seems like a basic function that we should all have.

Laerun
June 22nd, 2022, 05:26
Most VTTs do not include this option, at least not without someone creating an extension or a special app for this process. Part of it is a grey area for copyright and the particular licensing language. This is not a new request of want for sure.

Blackwolfe
June 22nd, 2022, 16:04
We've been playing on FGU every week for over two years, and sometimes we like to meet face to face and My players always long for actual character sheets in hand when we do.

RickSaada
November 29th, 2022, 08:20
We've been playing on FGU every week for over two years, and sometimes we like to meet face to face and My players always long for actual character sheets in hand when we do.

When we went offline for the last session of my Avernus campaign at the end of covid, I used
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/347396/Fantasy-Grounds-Character-Manager

to export everyone's character and power info and it worked quite well. It's only for 5e, but if you're willing to spend a few bucks it did the job well (and it's only $8 on sale at the moment).

Blackwolfe
November 29th, 2022, 16:19
When we went offline for the last session of my Avernus campaign at the end of covid, I used https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/347396/Fantasy-Grounds-Character-Manager to export everyone's character and power info and it worked quite well. It's only for 5e, but if you're willing to spend a few bucks it did the job well (and it's only $8 on sale at the moment).

Thank you for sharing this. Though I personally try to avoid Twohy products. *L* Irony, A day ago I finished creating custom 5e sheets in InDesign and filling them out for the party. Better late than never though yeah?

RickSaada
November 29th, 2022, 19:00
Looking at it again, I see the time lapse, but weirdly the FG forums sent me email *yesterday* about new posts in this thread, so I just assumed it was recent. But I don't see a post by that user (elyshh) here, so maybe they deleted it?

Oh well. Maybe it will help someone else.

ddavison
November 30th, 2022, 15:39
Windows download link in the first post has been updated.

Update:
2022-11-30 New version uploaded for Windows with new filebrowser and additional XSL stylesheets written by community members in thread

Nylanfs
November 30th, 2022, 16:43
Yay!

pord
January 4th, 2023, 21:39
Linux version doesnt want to work with wayland it seems... just sigterms

MartianXi
January 14th, 2023, 21:58
Where are these "included" xsl sheets?

Looks like I was using the wrong .exe... but the outcome is barely readable and has overlapping text

ddavison
January 14th, 2023, 23:22
There should be a streamingassets folder which contains them.

The XSL files can also be edited to output different HTML, shrink fonts, etc.

MartianXi
January 15th, 2023, 17:48
There should be a streamingassets folder which contains them.

The XSL files can also be edited to output different HTML, shrink fonts, etc.

Is there a program you would recommend to edit XSL files? New to this process...

Turns out one of the issues is that my players have too many items in their inventories to fit into the small equipment box on the sheet, but it's still in the XML file so places on the sheet anyway. The result is the equipment text overlaps the rest of the sheet.

Griogre
January 15th, 2023, 19:17
Notepad++ is free lightweight editor good for XML and LUA editing. I use it for that myself. You can get it here:
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

Edit: Occurred to me it wasn't obvious it will work for XSL too

swbuza
January 18th, 2023, 13:40
Is it still the plan to include this functionality in FGU?

swbuza
January 19th, 2023, 11:42
Ignore. Figured it out.

spencerg
April 3rd, 2023, 19:19
This is really great! - Is there any possible way you could add support for D&D Classics - aka - AD&D2e ruleset - even if its just very basic - Also, I see community members are adding their own XLS templates - if i wanted to add support for 2e AD&D, would it be possible to do myself?
This is exactly what I need.

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2023, 20:08
This is really great! - Is there any possible way you could add support for D&D Classics - aka - AD&D2e ruleset - even if its just very basic - Also, I see community members are adding their own XLS templates - if i wanted to add support for 2e AD&D, would it be possible to do myself?
Yes you can do it yourself. After you get the base files working from the OP, check out some of the other posts with XSL templates (like post #34). Then create your own XSL file for D&D Classics. You need to start removing the empty fields or updating them with the new equivalents. You should be able to get most of the needed fields by exporting a Classic character sheet and figuring out what values you want and where.

You might also check the Classics sub-forum, one of the regulars there might already have a printing solution.

spencerg
April 3rd, 2023, 21:43
Thank you very much - post 34 is a dead link - but... I found others.

Before I start trying to do this, I poke around more and see if someones already done it - hopefully I can figure it out and share it here if I find and/or build one.

Thank you for your Help LordEntrails!

JohnD
April 3rd, 2023, 23:14

Oh yes please!

Melech2020
April 4th, 2023, 05:58
can this character sheet include background and history and all the other. It didn't print out the allies & organizations either. i do see it on the xml file but it does not seem to extract it to go on the report.

LordEntrails
April 4th, 2023, 15:56
can this character sheet include background and history and all the other. It didn't print out the allies & organizations either. i do see it on the xml file but it does not seem to extract it to go on the report.
You will need to edit/change the XSL file to add the additional fields. You will probably end up wanting to add another page for the additional info unless you can find someone to squeeze it in.

Melech2020
April 5th, 2023, 01:50
You will need to edit/change the XSL file to add the additional fields. You will probably end up wanting to add another page for the additional info unless you can find someone to squeeze it in.

Thanks!! I may just try that. I'll keep you posted.

Mytherus
May 16th, 2023, 02:03
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the program doesn't do a thing for me.
My character was made in the 5e ruleset in FGU.
for "Select XSL File" (which I'll be honest I don't even know what that is but I selected the one for CharacterSheet_5e, seemed logical I used the 5e ruleset and I'm trying to print a character sheet).

Select XML Source - I have the .xml of my character sheet selected.

Select Output File I assume this is where the generated .HTML file will be saved? I just used the root of C:\ and named the file after my character name (Theren) so it says C:\Theren.html

I click Create Output File.

Nothing happens, nada, zilch, nuttin...

Unless it takes a long time to generate the .html? Also does the program say a message or anything to tell you when its done?

The weird thing is a while back I swore I got this to work.

damned
May 16th, 2023, 02:13
You probably dont have permissions to write to the root of c:\

ddavison
May 16th, 2023, 02:17
Damned beat me to it. The root of the C: drive is possibly protected from file writing. The other settings are all correct.

saucedom
June 23rd, 2023, 14:45
Gracias por el aporte. Sin duda lo probare

krypticz
February 22nd, 2024, 22:45
are there any plans to update and add the Rifts character sheet to this?