PDA

View Full Version : Need help with some more complicated dice modifiers

Sven Stobbe
December 22nd, 2015, 01:15
Hi,

i`ve just started with Fantasy Grounds, and i am happy with it so far. But unfortunately i discovered, that you only can create simple +- modifiers for rolling the dice.
But divide, multiply, clamps etc. seem not to work. But i really need this for my RPG-System!

The Combat Formula looks like this:

/die (1d100+X)/10*Y*Z

X = Character Combat Skill (between 0 and 150)
Y = Character Weapon Modifier (between 0.75 and 3.5)
Z = Enemy armor class (between 0.1 and 0.9)

I want that every single character can save his combat skill and weapon for rolling the dice in the quick-roll bar, so they only need to change the Z - Value (enemy armor class) in a new fight.

As an example there is the warrior Arkandor. His combat skill (X) with swords is 75. His longsword (Y) has a modifier of 2. He fights against an orc in chainmail (Z) with armor class 0.6.
Arkandors quick dice roll should look like this: /die (1d100+75)/10*2*0.6

If he fights an Stonegolem he would change Z to 0.2, while fighting against a wolf he would change Z to 0.8 and so on.

But as said above, it does not work. :-( I tested the formula in "Roll20", and there it was no problem. But i am sure - or hoping it at least - that this is possible on Fantasy Ground too!
Hopefully without beeing a programmer. ;-)

I would be very thankful for some help with this!

Sven

Skellan
December 22nd, 2015, 01:48
The best solution I can think of would be to make combat tables like role master uses. I'd wait to see if someone more intelligent than me has a better solution. My head hurts now.

Incidentally, what system uses this mechanic?

Sven Stobbe
December 22nd, 2015, 02:10
Thanks for the first quick answer. Maybe someone finds a more direct solution, otherwise i have to check out these combat tables.

Its an own system. We are playing it now for nearly 20 years. And you got the origin quite right :-) We started 1996 with rolemaster, modified it a lot and mixed it up with "The Black Eye" (don`t know how it is called in the US, "Das Schwarze Auge" in germany). Later on it got more and more an independant system with a huge world (altough worldbuilding is something that never ends...). I reworked many aspects in the last 2 years to take out a bit of the complexity - but we want to keep some things - like the "combat formula" for example. At the playing table we all sat there with calculaters. ;-)

Skellan
December 22nd, 2015, 02:12
Fascinating, that's cool. Hope you get your fg version sorted :)

damned
December 22nd, 2015, 02:17
The FG Dice Roller doesnt have nearly the same options as the Roll20 one.
This wont change under the current game engine.

The dice roller with roll whatever weird dice number you ask of it but it wont do those calculations (afaik).
You would need to save all the common entries I imagine...

X=75
Y=2
Z=variable, most common being 0.2, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 0.8 for example

/die 1d43 Sword Strike
/die 1d22 Sword Strike
/die 1d18 Sword Strike
/die 1d14 Sword Strike
/die 1d11 Sword Strike

Otherwise you need to do some programming...

damned
December 22nd, 2015, 02:18
There is a Dark Eye ruleset that is available on the publishers website Im pretty sure....

Sven Stobbe
December 22nd, 2015, 02:21
IŽll let you know. :-) If i get more firm with FG and probably with some help and a lot of time, it could really be a goal to create and upload a complete rule-edition for FG.

@damned: Thanks for your answer. Looks like i have to do some massive combat table work then or find someone who knows how to implement this in XML/LUA.
But i don`t understand why FG does only support +- in the dice roller, cant be that tricky for them to offer more calculations. But maybe i am wrong with my thoughts.