PDA

View Full Version : Effects the Complete Warlock Package

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2015, 11:03
The last tutorial on setting up effects; this one is for the Warlock Class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Warlock with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character. Where no comment or effect appears it means that one isn't needed or just can't be created.

A word on Spells: At the time of writing virtually every spell can be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and will create a suitable effect (if one is needed). The only things you will want to check are that the correct ability score is entered into the spell Power Group so that Saving Throw DCs and attack rolls are correctly computed, and that the duration of spells has been correctly updated in the effect.

The Fiend
The Dark One’s Blessing – can’t test for the condition so manually apply the effect when the conditions are correct.
Dark One’s Own Luck – No possible effect for this but required to track usage
Fiendish Resilience - You can add new lines to cover each different damage type.
Hurl Through Hell – A damage dealing effect can’t test for creature type. It would be possible to create an effect testing for every type apart from fiend but it seems easier to deal with it this way.

The Great Old One
Entropic Ward – Place the first effect on to the attacker just before the attack is made (this can just as easily be done with the DIS button in the bottom left corner). The second effect must be SHIFT-dragged to the target in order that only the Warlock gets advantage and not anyone else.
Thought Shield – There no effect that can throw damage back at a creature so this will have to be done manually.

The Undying (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
Among the Dead – Can’t test for disease so there isn’t a way to automate the advantage to the saving throw.
Defy Death – Can’t automate this (no test can be made to see if the player is making a saving throw).

ffujita
December 22nd, 2015, 06:53
Just another note to say thanks for all the work you've done on these. Awesome!

Danimal66
January 8th, 2016, 17:34
Why on earth aren't these stickied to the top of the forum? Could you make a post that links to everyone of these you have done pretty please. :)

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2016, 17:54
Why on earth aren't these stickied to the top of the forum? Could you make a post that links to everyone of these you have done pretty please. :)

They are stickied (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information).

Danimal66
January 8th, 2016, 18:16
Sweet thanks!

Dragonus11
December 18th, 2016, 08:27
which folder do you place those xml files in?

MarianDz
December 18th, 2016, 09:18
It is "PC Character" so you can Import it through: PC icon - brown button with slash - then Import "blue circle with Up Arrow" (search on your harddisk for this file and Open)
then you will have this imported in your game between new PCs :)
end Welcome "Dragonus11"
there isnt any specific folder only folder you choose for your PCs backup :p

Dragonus11
December 18th, 2016, 15:07
It is "PC Character" so you can Import it through: PC icon - brown button with slash - then Import "blue circle with Up Arrow" (search on your harddisk for this file and Open)
then you will have this imported in your game between new PCs :)
end Welcome "Dragonus11"
there isnt any specific folder only folder you choose for your PCs backup :p

thank you

Ceros_X
November 26th, 2017, 06:14
Will this be updated for XGE and Hexblade?

Zacchaeus
November 26th, 2017, 10:47
Will this be updated for XGE and Hexblade?

Hi Ceros_X welcome to FG.

For the Hexblade's Curse create an effect like the one in the graphic. Place the 'Cursed' Effect on the target and the second effect on the Warlock. That will handle the damage. There's no real elegant way to do the additional critical. You could add a special weapon to the weapons section with the crit range property set to 19 but this won't cover spell attacks. Similarly you could change the crit range in the meta data but then that would give you a crit on a 19 for any attack. So I think you'll just have to handle it manually. When you roll a 19 hold SHIFT when applying the damage to force critical damage. For the healing there again isn't really a way to do automate this satisfactorily. Create a Heal effect and place the CHA+Level in as a number as shown on the graphic.

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2018, 02:24
I think the Hexblade's Curse can be improved upon given recent updates.

The healing can be set to add both level and Cha Bonus.
Not sure if the CRIT now works, I'll be testing this shortly, but here's what I was thinking (note I've shown both with and without the Crit modifier.

Note, I've also added a 1 minute duration to the curse effect that is placed on the target, so it expired appropriately.

Thoughts? Did I get stuff wrong?

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2018, 02:42
I got the duration on the IFT effects and one of the targets was set wrong.

Still not sure if the CRIT:19 works or not.

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2018, 03:14
Any thought about creating effects for the Eldritch Invocations?

This is what I came up with for Cloak of Flies;

Zacchaeus
August 31st, 2018, 08:44
I can’t remember what I thought about the invocations. Most of them I think added a spell like effect or added to an existing spell or ability. Otherwise they did things you can’t code effects for I think. It’s a while since I looked at Warlocknabilities.

GavinRuneblade
August 31st, 2018, 09:31

Won't that version have adv and disadv cancel each other out so you get disadv on all charisma checks but neither adv nor disadv on intimidate? And is it giving disadv on charisma saves (not like there are many of those)?

Zacchaeus
August 31st, 2018, 13:36
Won't that version have adv and disadv cancel each other out so you get disadv on all charisma checks but neither adv nor disadv on intimidate? And is it giving disadv on charisma saves (not like there are many of those)?

Correct. It would be DISSKILL: blah, blah, blah where blah is the other charisma based skill checks.

LordEntrails
August 31st, 2018, 18:03
I wondered about the DISSAV vs DISSKILL. Thanks.

Yea, if you actually drag the invocation trait to the actions page FG will create a power with a bunch of stuff for the invocations, but most of them appear incomplete. But, most invocations modify other stuff (especially Eldritch Blast) so you would just change the metadata on that ability.

But I figures since I went through doing this one, I should post it for others who might come along :)

Booker Grimm
April 8th, 2019, 19:42
Just a quick one, how do I use this if I want to have a level 9 Warlock. How do I remove levels and make sure that it's all legit?

Sorry if this is obvious.

Booker.

Zacchaeus
April 8th, 2019, 20:21
I wouldn't recommend removing levels. Start a new character and level up to 9. Then look at the abilities tab to see what you have in there and work from that.

Booker Grimm
April 8th, 2019, 21:25
Thank you.

rob2e
August 15th, 2020, 17:11

Lord Entrials. Your code for Cloak of Flies is incorrect. You have DISSAV for cha checks, it's CHK not SAV. And in this case, the code DOESN'T work because the dischk cancels the intimidation adv. Which is frustrating me NO END as of now. I can't figure out how to do it with one code, it apparently is going to need a situation where the DSICHK is removed for intimidation checks.?

Zacchaeus
August 15th, 2020, 18:20
Interesting necro :)

It can't really be done in one line since on the one hand you have disadvantage on all Charisma checks (which aren't necessarily just skill checks) and on the other advantage to just one skill.

So you'd need two lines one for the ADVSKILL: intimidation and the other for DISCHK: charisma and have one or the other active depending on the skill being used or whether it's just a charisma check not using a skill. Sounds to me that it would be easier just to use the ADV and DIS buttons when needed.

GavinRuneblade
August 15th, 2020, 18:46
Lord Entrials. Your code for Cloak of Flies is incorrect. You have DISSAV for cha checks, it's CHK not SAV. And in this case, the code DOESN'T work because the dischk cancels the intimidation adv. Which is frustrating me NO END as of now. I can't figure out how to do it with one code, it apparently is going to need a situation where the DSICHK is removed for intimidation checks.?

I use: "ADVSKILL: intimidation; DISSKILL: performance, persuasion, deception" Because as a DM I know I'm not going to ask for a raw charisma check, like ever. But if I did the player would just hit the dis button so I don't need code for it. Won't work for everyone, as a result.

rob2e
August 15th, 2020, 19:52
Ya I had to fix it in my coding for ease of automation lest EVERYONE ON THE PLANET yell at me except you who never asks for a CHA check "like ever"... lol

I did mange to do it the best way possible in the coding package now tho.

LordEntrails
August 15th, 2020, 23:49
Sorry I got it wrong, thanks for letting us all know my incompetence though *G*

*jk* No, totally happy to be corrected so the correct info is available to all :)

ZiouseMatrix
March 12th, 2021, 01:36
is there something for celestial?

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2021, 09:38
is there something for celestial?

Here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41546-Effects-for-Xanathar-Archetypes

ZiouseMatrix
March 15th, 2021, 21:35
thank you!