PDA

View Full Version : Subclass Par5e

Momar
December 21st, 2015, 05:09
Is it possible to use the par5e tool to add a subclass alone? I already have the base classes through purchased PHB module, but I'm curious how I might go about adding the death domain cleric or sword coast adventuring guide options outside of buying those modules. I found an older thread that seemed to indicate I would need to parse the class in question entirely, and I'm wondering if that's still true. Thanks.

spite
December 21st, 2015, 05:46
I'd be interested in finding out if this is possible, but from what I've seen and had to do, the whole class is needed >.<

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2015, 10:05
Par5e won't handle just subclasses. It expects a minimum amount of data in order to parse a class; if you look at the documentation you'll see what is needed to successfully parse a class. If you want the subclass to be usable in Fantasy Grounds you'll need to parse the entire class, including any existing subclasses and the new subclass.

spite
December 21st, 2015, 20:20
Par5e won't handle just subclasses. It expects a minimum amount of data in order to parse a class; if you look at the documentation you'll see what is needed to successfully parse a class. If you want the subclass to be usable in Fantasy Grounds you'll need to parse the entire class, including any existing subclasses and the new subclass.

Is the piece about the existing subclasses correct? I can see the SCAG stuff only includes the new subclasses added in that module. I am aware that there are new functionalities on the internal par5e, but wasn't aware you needed all the existing subclasses too.

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2015, 21:37
Is the piece about the existing subclasses correct? I can see the SCAG stuff only includes the new subclasses added in that module. I am aware that there are new functionalities on the internal par5e, but wasn't aware you needed all the existing subclasses too.

Only the new subclasses are shown in SCAG but if you have the PHB and SCAG open and create a character then you'll get all of the options available from either. However that functionality is not available in the public version of parse. In other words if you parse a class with a new subclass but don't include the existing sub classes then all you'll get is the sub class that you included in your parse. I think :)

Momar
December 22nd, 2015, 00:09
Thanks for the replies, especially Zacchaeus.

So it sounds like I could save a small bit of work by parsing the new subclasses only with the base class (ie: death and arcana cleric) and then just having the players choose the appropriate module between the PHB cleric options and other source options for which direction they want to go.

I'm new at all this, so for people more familiar with using FG and the par5e tool: which is going to be simpler/easier between parsing a class with new subclass options and adding actions and abilities in manually? As an example, some of my players are interested in the sun soul monk. It doesn't seem like it would be too much work to just add in a new weapon attack for the sun bolt (not sure about the 1 ki for 2 bonus attacks, but maybe those class power threads Zacchaeus is posting might be helpful?), but I'm not sure if using the parse tool would be better overall for the powers or give better results for in game use.

Zacchaeus
December 22nd, 2015, 01:10
The main benefit in parsing the whole thing is that when the player levels up they'll get a reminder in chat hat new abilities they gain.

You could easily miss stuff looking at multiple sources. Classes are reasonably straightforward to parse; once you get the hang of the tool and having everything in the one place would, I think, would be more beneficial. Having said that setting up abilities isn't too difficult either really - again once you get the hang of effects. Really it will all come down to how much time you have to do the parsing.