PDA

View Full Version : New DM Eastern Time Running 5E "Harried in Hillsfar" mod

dmblackshire
December 20th, 2015, 23:59
Hello everyone.
I am a new DM who has completely immersed himself in the fantasy grounds app. I have tutorials and tried to learn as much as possible. I think I am ready to run my first game. With that being stated I will start to put together a group with the intentions of getting started ASAP. I would be looking to run twice a week for around 2 hours between the hours of 4-8 PM EST. If this works out I am more than ready to continue with the group into further adventures down the line.

Harried in Hillsfar

Like many of the other towns and cities on the Moonsea, Hillsfar has seen its share of warfare and turmoil. Hostilities with the elves of Cormanthor, with Zhentil Keep, with the Shadovar, and with their own morally questionable leadership have plagued Hillsfar for more than a century.

For the first time in a long time, the people of Hillsfar can look outside their walls and not see a dire threat looming at their gates. Or at least, none that are obvious.
Rampant xenophobia, steeped in years of misdirected fear and outrage, have led to not just a citizenry distrustful of any non-humans, but also to a series of laws outright forbidding anyone other than humans to become citizens of Hillsfar. The laws of the government and the attitudes of the human citizens mean that the only non-humans allowed into the city are slaves, most of whom fight for their lives at the Arena-to the delighted jeers of the human populace.

The outskirts and rural lands around Hillsfar, because of these laws, are littered with non-human refugees, many who lost everything when they were evicted from their homes and businesses within the city. Some of these refugees plot against the authorities of their former home, but most simply try to survive through commerce, farming, or other legal (or illegal) pursuits.

When rumors of strange happenings around Hillsfar reached the ears of the five factions, representatives of each established camps near the village of Elventree. From these bases, the factions send out agents to investigate these strange tales, hoping to prevent any major calamities-or profit from them.

Please submit a level 1 character out of the PHB. We will have an intro/character creation session at the beginning of the first session. I encourage everyone to get teamspeak so we can take advantage of the voice server options as well. Check out the thread on finding the channel here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server). Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

DM

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 01:10
I am a new DM looking to try running a game on FG. I plan on running the premade adventure as to limit the amount of room for error.

Like many of the other towns and cities on the Moonsea, Hillsfar has seen its share of warfare and turmoil. Hostilities with the elves of Cormanthor, with Zhentil Keep, with the Shadovar, and with their own morally questionable leadership have plagued Hillsfar for more than a century.
For the first time in a long time, the people of Hillsfar can look outside their walls and not see a dire threat looming at their gates. Or at least, none that are obvious.
Rampant xenophobia, steeped in years of misdirected fear and outrage, have led to not just a citizenry distrustful of any non-humans, but also to a series of laws outright forbidding anyone other than humans to become citizens of Hillsfar. The laws of the government and the attitudes of the human citizens mean that the only non-humans allowed into the city are slaves, most of whom fight for their lives at the Arena-to the delighted jeers of the human populace.
The outskirts and rural lands around Hillsfar, because of these laws, are littered with non-human refugees, many who lost everything when they were evicted from their homes and businesses within the city. Some of these refugees plot against the authorities of their former home, but most simply try to survive through commerce, farming, or other legal (or illegal) pursuits.
When rumors of strange happenings around Hillsfar reached the ears of the five factions, representatives of each established camps near the village of Elventree. From these bases, the factions send out agents to investigate these strange tales, hoping to prevent any major calamities-or profit from them.

Create a level 1 character for this campaign. Please keep it within the normal range of the PHB for this first run. Please use point buy system or the 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 method. I hope to meet twice a week for 2 hours a day. Times ranging from 4-8 PM EST. I suggest you download teamspeak as well so you can join the voice game. Check out this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server) to find the channel. Let me know if you have any questions. Can't wait to run my first game on FG.

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 01:45
FG License:Ultimate
Game System:5E

Time Zone:Eastern Time USA
Day of week and time: Weekdays between 4-8 PM
Start Date: ASAP
Frequency:Bi-weekly
Term: Casual with possible continuation.

Text or Voice: Both, but recommend voice
Voice SoftwareSkype or Teamspeak

Players Needed:4-6 players
Character starting level and equipment:1st level standard equipment
Character Restrictions:Core Races and Classes

Couvs
December 21st, 2015, 04:18
is this one DDEX 3-1?

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 09:58
Yes It is.

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 16:59
I am also running a dungeon crawl during the day today if anyone has a character made up. Level 1 start. Shoot me a message.

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 17:26
After you make a station outside of the town you find a shanty style tavern. The rundown sheet metal sides look as if it belonged in the refugee style town that has evolved outside of the city. Once inside you take your seats and order drinks. Your group consists of a group of people that entered the village with you as part of a caravan. A round of introductions follow...

Sitting at the table are two other people, a halfling and and elf.

Daelvil
December 21st, 2015, 19:42
I am interested just bought the upgrade to Ultimate today. Let me know the Character Stipulations if the Game is not full. Thanks have a Merry Christmas.

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 20:09
Game is just starting to form. I have the PHB that can be used by folks playing in my games. Use that to make a first level character.

vegecannibal
December 21st, 2015, 20:45
Hi, new player, to FG and to online tabletops. am somewhat familiar with 5e. definitely interested in this game. I have the standard FG license if that matters.

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 21:18
That does not matter. Just make up a character and submit it through here if you can.

vegecannibal
December 21st, 2015, 21:24
Like make up a full character sheet, stats and everything?

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 21:36
Yes I would need that from you in order to play. Or you might be able to use a pre gen character.

vegecannibal
December 21st, 2015, 21:42
I know for the most part what my character is, aside from the attributes, since i've had dms who like to roll the stats directly before we start playing. should i just submit it as a pdf?

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 21:47
Sure. I would just use the point buy system or the 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 method.

vegecannibal
December 21st, 2015, 22:28
I think that should cover just about everything, please ask if anything is confusing.

dada11dada22
December 21st, 2015, 22:39
Im new to this but i have the player handbook, sword coast and elemental evil. Ive made a few characters in fantasy grounds. So let me know if i can join

dmblackshire
December 21st, 2015, 23:00
Please submit a character and I will pick from them a final group to use in the campaign. Please take your time developing your characters...

JohnD
December 21st, 2015, 23:49
You guys will all save time if you create your PC in FG and email the XML file. Otherwise dmblackshire has to do a lot on unnecessary data entry.

dmblackshire
December 22nd, 2015, 00:00
This is true. Thank you for the great advice John!

vegecannibal
December 22nd, 2015, 00:08
sorry. i haven't really had much progress in writing in the abilities and skills that characters have in FG yet and i cant afford to get the core set yet. but when i do ill be sure to do that.

Daelvil
December 22nd, 2015, 18:55
Will send the character today when I make It. Got the info will post later today. Thanks.

Couvs
December 22nd, 2015, 19:50
sorry. i haven't really had much progress in writing in the abilities and skills that characters have in FG yet and i cant afford to get the core set yet. but when i do ill be sure to do that.

send a PM to the DM, perhaps he can allow you to connect to the game with access to the materials and then it'll already be stored on the game.

Daelvil
December 22nd, 2015, 20:24
Trying to figure out how to upload my character with attachment. I have it created.

dmblackshire
December 22nd, 2015, 20:40
1.) Looks good Daelvil. I fixed your AC too because you get the Con bonus from your Unarmored Defense ability. I would like it if you would take a little time to describe you appearance on your character sheet. A little back story in the notes section is nice too. The more I get from the characters the more I can try and work the subtle clues into actual playable story. Functionally though your character sheet is approved.

2.) Vegecannibal if you need to make a character and send it to me on a PDF that is fine. I just need you to take a little more time with it. Pick your backgrounds, traits, ideals, ect. It is a two way street I need material to make up story to role play with...

Character List
1. Grimudurk / Barbarian

vegecannibal
December 22nd, 2015, 21:05
2.) Vegecannibal if you need to make a character and send it to me on a PDF that is fine. I just need you to take a little more time with it. Pick your backgrounds, traits, ideals, ect. It is a two way street I need material to make up story to role play with...

I thought I had done that my background was as an Infantry-level Soldier (In a human army). the traits/ideals that I picked were from the background building section of the PHB.
or did you mean like Age/Weight/Eyes how they look type of traits?
it's possible that adobe hadn't saved what I had written.

dmblackshire
December 22nd, 2015, 21:13
I got it now. Had to download the pdf again.

vegecannibal
December 22nd, 2015, 21:25
I could include a character detail sheet if you would like, with more detailed backstory/appearance

dmblackshire
December 22nd, 2015, 21:36
That would be great. I have your character copied into the FG tabletop. Try to find some images too as to use for tokens and visual aid.

Tentative
Character List
1. Grimudurk / Barbarian
2. Jothen / Fighter

dmblackshire
December 22nd, 2015, 21:42
As a reminder it is necessary to download and use the teamspeak app and FG channel for this game. Check out the post on this here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server).

vegecannibal
December 22nd, 2015, 22:17
hope this helps :)

TimmyB
December 22nd, 2015, 22:46
Trying to figure out how to upload my character with attachment. I have it created.

how did you send that as an attachment lol I cant figure it out

vegecannibal
December 22nd, 2015, 23:07
You hit reply then "go advanced" and you can attach it as a file (icon is a paperclip)

pbexxx
December 23rd, 2015, 01:03
FG License:Ultimate
Game System:5E

Time Zone:Eastern Time USA
Day of week and time: Weekdays between 4-8 PM
Start Date: ASAP
Frequency:Bi-weekly
Term: Casual with possible continuation.

Text or Voice: Both, but recommend voice
Voice SoftwareSkype or Teamspeak

Players Needed:4-6 players
Character starting level and equipment:1st level standard equipment
Character Restrictions:Core Races and Classes

Hi Is there any more positions available for this? and has it already started? if not then I am keen to jump in

TimmyB
December 23rd, 2015, 01:12
finall figured this out

dada11dada22
December 23rd, 2015, 01:42
Got it figured it have a little backstory for her.

pbexxx
December 23rd, 2015, 03:36
Aereon Lighstaff

dmblackshire
December 23rd, 2015, 19:47
Hi Is there any more positions available for this? and has it already started? if not then I am keen to jump in

Not yet. Still forming the group. I will check out the character sheets everyone has submitted and let you know if it works with the group.

dmblackshire
December 23rd, 2015, 20:37
Tentative
Character List
1. Grimudurk / Barbarian / Daelvil
2. Jothen / Fighter / Vegecannibal
3. Amri Imori / Wizard / dada11dada22
4. Khalid / Fighter / TimmyB
5. Aereon Lightstaff / Sorcerer / pbexxx

This is the list of folks and their classes that have submitted characters.

Skillkoil
December 28th, 2015, 04:50
How do we submit our characters to you?

damned
December 28th, 2015, 07:23
How do we submit our characters to you?

the same way everyone else above has... create a character, export it and post it as an attachment here.

dmblackshire
December 28th, 2015, 11:00
So I have sent PM to all the players in this game but have only got responses from 3 out of the 5. Can I please get a roll call for Tuesday at 6 PM EST? If you are not on the original list but would like to play then please submit your character to be listed as an alt. Thank you all.

Tentative
Character List
Alt List

kbranden
December 28th, 2015, 15:07
I'm interested, but the times are pretty harsh. Pretty well knocks out all those that have to work 8-5 :(

dmblackshire
December 28th, 2015, 15:36
I work from 4-1 so I would be of little use to that group...

Skillkoil
December 28th, 2015, 16:37
Here is my halfling cleric!

dmblackshire
December 28th, 2015, 17:17
First game day Tuesday 12/29 6:00 PM EST.

Tentative
Character List
6. Handrin Switchfoot / Cleric / Skillkoil
Alt List

Skillkoil
December 28th, 2015, 17:39
woot!! I will be there!

damned
December 28th, 2015, 23:43
woot!! I will be there!

Phew! I was getting worried for you man!

dmblackshire
December 30th, 2015, 01:15
Tonight's first session was a lot of fun. With 3 in our party we moved into the town of Hillsfar to investigate strange reports of happenings there. The town has a deep rooted distrust in any race that is not human and the animals have been acting very strange. We fought demonic goats and Drooling pack dogs narrowly escaping all before dinner time. A beautiful silver sickle was rewarded for the brave deeds of the adventurers turned investigators. Would anyone else care to join? The group agreed on Wednesday from 6-8 EST. If you would like to add your character to our story please feel free to submit one here.

The group so far...
Jothen / Fighter / Vegecannibal
Khalid / Fighter / TimmyB
Handrin Switchfoot / Cleric / Skillkoil

Skillkoil
December 30th, 2015, 01:18
This is a great campain and a great DM, I urge you to come join us on our quest!

bigbluepaw
December 30th, 2015, 03:09
Sounds great. You're talking about continuing this tomorrow, right? Here are the characters I could play. I can jump into any one of them.

Thade Coppenwrath (Half Elf Ranger/Cleric): Grim guide (nature, survival), dungeoneer (perception, investigation, lockpicking), and scholar (history, religion) recovering ancient tomes from ruins of empires past for the Church of Oghma. Good fit for a wilderness and dungeon delving campaign.

Lias Venable (Human Paladin / Rogue or Cleric / Rogue): Influencer (insight, deception, persuasion) and historian (history, arcana and religion) acting on behalf of the Order of the Gauntlet. Story could be the spy variant of the criminal background. Good for campaigns where there is intrigue involved.

Fick Withers (Human Rogue): Tatoo covered street survivor hoping to make his way up the Zhent ranks.

I can tweak these characters to fit the story for the mod. I could always play a different kind of character as well if there is need for something different.

Skillkoil
December 30th, 2015, 04:25
A rogue or Ranger would be great. bigbluepaw we have 2 fighters and a cleric now. :)

bigbluepaw
December 30th, 2015, 04:56
I can play the ranger. He has perception and lockpicking skills. Would be awesome!

dmblackshire
December 30th, 2015, 09:05
Sounds good. We will try and run tonight at 6 PM EST. I will PM you the game info.