PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5E Advantages & Disadvantages modifier button question for use in Traveller

MadBeardMan
December 20th, 2015, 18:32
Hello all,

In 5E D&D you have Advantage and Disadvantage Modifier buttons located next to your Dice Pool.

Now I'm converting Traveller and I need something terribly similar. Traveller uses modifiers for some skill rolls based on your attributes. Now these aren't linked, ie Gun Combat isn't always linked to Dexterity because it depends what you use the Gun Combat skill for, ie:

• Shooting a gun would use the appropriate Gun Combat subskill
and the character’s Dexterity Dice Modifi er.
• Repairing a damaged gun might use Gun Combat and
Education.
• Trying to work out what sort of gun caused a particular wound
might use Gun Combat and Intelligence (or Investigation and
Intelligence).

So I was thinking of copying this and having -3,-2,-1 and +3,+2,+1. But that got me thinking.

Is it possible to create modifier buttons depending on the Player Character in use (for players only) so they see Dex Mod +2, Int Mod -1 etc. However GM's wouldn't need this, so it's just for player characters.

I presume the option is no, and that's fine.

Another point then, is it possible to add more modifier buttons -6 to +6 for GM's only?

Cheers
Colin

ianmward
December 20th, 2015, 20:32
I reckon it's all possible.

What I'd do though, is use check boxes on the skills in the character sheet and then roll the attribute you want to use. It would then check which skill is checked and apply that modifier.

Ian

MadBeardMan
December 21st, 2015, 11:01
Hi Ian,

I did think of something similar when I was working on listing all the skills. However with 6 possible attributes that's a fair amount of space per line for each skill. At the moment I have the skills shown as 2 columns and that works very well. I did also think of adding a section at the top of the skills doing exactly this. So you tick the Dexterity Mod and then when you next roll a skill it uses that, but again a bit clunky and easy to forget.

Therefore I think I'll go with what you suggest (and make the skills section one long list) and get it to remember and state which Modifier it's using clearly in the chat text. It also enables me to have SUCCESS and FAILURE shown.

Of course Traveller also has other modifiers - weapon range, environmental etc etc, far too many to try and automate.

So cheers Ian, I think you've cemented the best option for this. It now means that the character sheet is 90% done, just encumbrance to look into (yet another DM but not for all skills...) and then skinning the character sheet.

Cheers
Colin

ianmward
December 21st, 2015, 11:27
I think I didn't explain myself well.

I think you should put a single checkbox by each skill to say what you are doing, then make the attribute rollable. When you roll, check which skill is checked (if any) then decide what to do...

MadBeardMan
December 21st, 2015, 11:34
I think I didn't explain myself well.

I think you should put a single checkbox by each skill to say what you are doing, then make the attribute rollable. When you roll, check which skill is checked (if any) then decide what to do...

Ian,

Right I get you. I'm not sure that'll work that well to be honest. The attribute can be made rollable (the Mod is at the moment) that's on the Main Tab and all skills are on the skill tab. So you'd have to tick the skill and then change tab and double/click/drag the attribute. I'd prefer people stayed in the one skill tab.

I'm now thinking next to each skill we have a drop down of which attribute to use. Means we can also leave the last selected MOD for the next roll unless it's changed etc. No idea how to do drop downs but shouldn't be too bad to figure out.

Cheers

ianmward
December 22nd, 2015, 10:05
I guess I would put the UPP across the top on every tab and make it rollable there...

ianmward
December 22nd, 2015, 10:08
I don't think dropdowns are possible (easy) so you'd have to use a cycler and I think that would be a bit cumbersome.

damned
December 22nd, 2015, 11:28
i think dropdowns were added in 3.1.3 or 3.1.4 maybe?
string cycler is what i first thought here but dropdowns are quicker...

damned
December 22nd, 2015, 11:28
Also - what edition of traveller are you doing?

MadBeardMan
December 26th, 2015, 19:29
Sorry chaps, been ill over the last few days and was stupidly busy before then (having 2 youngish kids does that).

So are drop downs possible? If so, perhaps I can make the skills look like:

Skill Attribute to use Skill Total
Gun Combat
Slug Throwers <DropDown - Dexterity +2 > 2 4

Also - what edition of traveller are you doing?

I'm doing the current Mongoose publishing Traveller as shown here:
https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/traveller-core-rulebook.html

I asked Doug first which version FG had a license for and it was this one, which is lucky. I can badger Mongoose when we're at trade shows if they don't like it.

Hope you've all had better holidays than I have, back to the character sheet, but here's some pictures of the character sheet and soon I'll get onto the visuals. The rules are 50% converted (now into Animals etc). Work to do though is add equipment and make sure it all links properly. Going to write a sample scenario soon and take my Shadowrun group though it, and after that ask the community what else is required.

However if you chaps have any thoughts - then these are most welcome!

Cheers
Colin

MadBeardMan
December 28th, 2015, 19:30
Hi Folks,

Been working away on this, got a question.

First a screen shot. Shows the button_stringcycler in action.

Now I have it stepping through the various attributes, just one thing left that I can't figure out (too many trees I think).

How do I get the onSourceUpdate() to tell me WHAT the value is?

Here's my code:

<template name="number_charskillDMfield">
<number_linked>
<frame name="fieldlight" offset="5,5,5,5" />
<disabled />
<hideonvalue>0</hideonvalue>
<nodrag />
<source><name>attribute</name><op>+</op></source>
<script>
function onSourceUpdate()

setValue(math.random(5));
end
</script>
</number_linked>>
</template>

So I suppose I'm looking for 2 things.

1. How do I get the source value?
2. Once I have this, how do I query the field value that I want, for example 'strength' will get returned from the cycler, and so I want to query 'attribute.strength.mod'.

Been on this for a good few hours and just can't get it, need help please.

Cheers
Colin

damned
December 29th, 2015, 12:28
hmmmm.... i was hoping someone else might chime in as im not a programmer!

from memory onSourceUpdate needs you to define what fields it should monitor? maybe?
to me your code above looks like when the source is updated you want to replace it with a random number? if so what does it matter what the source is?
generally the best place to get the values is from the db directly - work out the db mode and grab that info.
when you change a value via the cycler it updates the db straight away you dont have to save or close the window to write it - so grab the value from the db always.

i hope some of that helps and not too much of it misleads!

MadBeardMan
December 29th, 2015, 13:07
Afternoon chap,

The math.random() was to simply tell me that this *could* work. If I can update the DM box with the correct DM, ie Dex -1, Int +2 etc then that already will update the skill Total DM. Not looked yet at working out the stat DM, I simply am trying to figure out what the String value of the cycler was.....

MadBeardMan
December 29th, 2015, 14:30
Well I restarted it, switched to using onValueChanged on the StringCycler.

function onValueChanged()
local sValue = getStringValue();
local nodeWin = window.getDatabaseNode();
if nodeWin then
local nDBtoapply = DB.getValue(nodeWin, "attributes." .. sValue, -2);
window.characteristicDM.setValue(nDBtoapply);
end
end

So I know which modifier to read which is ace (ie dex_mod, int_mod) what I need now is to figure out how to read that value from the DB. They're stored as 'attributes.dex_mod' etc.

Once I can read that, everything else works.

MadBeardMan
December 29th, 2015, 15:41
And got it all working!

Here's the code for the String Cycler that does exactly what I need, it updates the DM field for that skill, and that in turn fires off onSourceUpdate event which then updates the Total.

<template name="cycler_skillcharacteristic">
<button_stringcycler>
<parameters>
<defaultlabel> - </defaultlabel>
<labels>Str|Dex|End|Int|Edu|Soc</labels>
<values>str_mod|dex_mod|end_mod|int_mod|edu_mod|soc_mod</values>
</parameters>
<script>
function onValueChanged()
local sValue = getStringValue();
local nodeWin = window.getDatabaseNode();
if nodeWin then
nDBtoapply = DB.getValue(nodeWin, "...attributes." ..sValue, 0);
window.characteristicDM.setValue(nDBtoapply);
end
end
</script>
</button_stringcycler>
</template>

It's a bit clunky to use a StringCycler (I'd prefer a drop down) but as it 'stores' the attribute you last chose, it keeps that until you change it, I can live with cycling around.

Cheers for all the help here. I'm still going to drop Advantages/Disadvantages on the desktop (for things like weapon ranges, cover, difficulty) but that's the character sheet done. Phew.

damned
January 3rd, 2016, 11:43
Traveller on bundle of holding
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/LBB-1
and
https://bundleofholding.com/presents/LBB-2

MadBeardMan
January 3rd, 2016, 18:52
Yep chap, sure are.

The original books as well, I have some of them somewhere.