PDA

View Full Version : Effects the Complete Wizard's Package

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2015, 14:53
Another short tutorial on setting up effects this time for the Wizard Class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Wizard with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character. Where no comment or effect appears it means that one isn't needed or just can't be created.

A word on Spells: At the time of writing virtually every spell can be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and will create a suitable effect (if one is needed). The only things you will want to check are that the correct ability score is entered into the spell Power Group so that Saving Throw DCs and attack rolls are correctly computed, and that the duration of spells has been correctly updated in the effect.

Arcane Recovery – no effect but needed to track usage

Abjuration
Arcane Ward – Effect for initial Ward can easily be constructed but no way to automate the second part so a series of heals each with the (manually entered) temp hp would be necessary. Place the effect when an abjuration spell is cast
Projected Ward – can’t create an effect but CTRL-dragging the damage back onto whoever took the damage will ‘heal’ them and then drag damage onto the wizard.
Improved Abjuration – add the effect just before the roll is made
Spell Resistance – We can’t test for incoming spells or spell damage so place the effect just before a save is needed or you are about to take damage from a spell

Conjuration
Benign Transportation – needed to track use, no effect needed

Divination
Portent – No effect can be created for this but entry to track use as shown. Add in another use once you get Greater Portent.

Evocation
Potent Cantrip – can’t create an effect for this
Empowered Evocaton – add the effect just before damage is rolled.
Overchannel – Can’t create an effect to do max damage so will have to be done manually

Necromancy
Grim Harvest – no way to create an effect based on a spell’s level so all you can do is create a series of heals. You can create just one and then use the bonus modifier to increase the healing

Transmutation
Transmuter’s Stone - Drop whichever effect onto target; no effect for the other options possible.

Bladesinging (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
Bladesong – The CON bonus needs to be separated since it’s only available against certain con saves so use just before such a save is made.
Song of Defense – No real effect can be created for this since you can’t use spell level as a modifier.
Song of Victory – you can add this effect into the Bladesong effect rather than have it separate

BubbaGrim
April 24th, 2016, 10:08
Quick question, how would I load that file?

Targas
April 24th, 2016, 10:22
Quick reply, copy to your local hard drive, run FG as DM/GM -e.g. load campaign, click on right PC button, click on brown (/) symbol and click on blue arrow up symbol to import PC (.xml file).

BubbaGrim
April 24th, 2016, 10:26
Wow, that was a quick reply!

/bow

Thanks so much.

gqwebb
April 25th, 2016, 03:41
Pin pin pin does anyone have a pin

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/03-BICcristal2008-03-26.jpg

No! Pin, we need to pin this

https://i2.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/7126161/5/stock-photo-7126161-thumbtack.jpg

Thank you Z

Zacchaeus
April 25th, 2016, 09:01
Pin pin pin does anyone have a pin

This and all of the other packages are in the sticky at the top of the 5e forums (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information) and have been since they were written.

gqwebb
April 25th, 2016, 16:17
Ahhh..... that is why those stickies are there..

https://galeri3.uludagsozluk.com/129/facepalm_227789.jpg

There goes my week! Now I have to try all this awesome stuff.

Myrdin Potter
September 28th, 2016, 14:09
For the ability "sculpt spells", is there a way to automate this? Right now, all i can think of is creating a copy of the spell (fireball becomes sculpted fireball) and change the damage and save and then target each group and resolve separately. But if you roll twice (once full dice for the unsculpted spell and one for the sculpted spell) then you do not quite get 1/2 damage before save as the die rolls are not exactly the same. Applying resistances as an effect results in 1/4 damage, not zero damage. Not sure how many spells it really matters for - fireball, for example, you just designate the special people, then they don't have to do anything as they automatically save and the spell is save then 1/2 so they take no damage.

Potent Cantrip I just hand modify the cantrips to 1/2 damage where in the past they would take no damage on save.

Zacchaeus
September 28th, 2016, 14:39
There isn't a way to automate this. I would just leave out those chosen by the Spellcaster from the saving throw and then just apply half damage to them once the damage dice has been throw (by clicking on the half damage button and drag the damage from the chat window onto them). For those with evasion you don't need to bother if they are picked to automatically save since they'll take no damage. Resistances will automatically be taken care of whatever damage is dealt.

Brynnan
October 1st, 2016, 05:15
The creatures that are in the sculpted pockets end up taking no damage. Just deselect them when you roll damage (and probably just wouldn't of selected them in the first place.) If the evocation spell does something other than 1/2 damage on save, then you would have to deal with that. But I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

Caelen
October 5th, 2017, 18:45
Is there any way to code the Abjurer's Arcane Ward to prevent automatic concentration checks? What about ignoring any resistances the Abjurer may have?

From Sage Advice Compendium

An Arcane Ward is not an extension of the wizard who creates it. It is a magical effect with its own hit points. Any temporary hit points, immunities, or resistances that the wizard has don’t apply to the ward.
The ward takes damage first. Any leftover damage is taken by the wizard

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2017, 19:21
There is no effect that will do what this spell does. The best workaround I've heard is to just add temporary hit points for the ward's hit points, and adjust as needed.

Regards,
JPG