PDA

View Full Version : A couple of real newbie questions

Sargond
February 16th, 2005, 22:14
Ok first of all I would like to say that FG is an awesome Program... :D

But I have a few question about it...

1st: When I read the manual it says that you can drag the class and race info into a character sheet, I tried to but it didn't seem to work that way. Am I doing something wrong or am I just missing something?

2nd: How do you create modules / maps / Etc.. to load into FG? or Can you just use FG to connect up with a group and "wing" a game with no maps / etc.?

3rd: How can you input more modifiers into the list so they are usable?

4th: if FG is using the 3.5 rules for D&D, could you load characters from a program like eToolsinto it and FG would put them in character format sheet, due to both are xsl formats, am I right?

I know some of these may have been addressed prior but I really am trying to use the FG program to its fullest...

Thanks in advance
Sargond (Todd)

richvalle
February 17th, 2005, 01:12
Welcome Sargond,

1. Not sure... never tried it.

2. You can make adventures/modules for the game or even load up one that someone else made. I've not done it yet so I don't know the details. But basicly you make the maps (outside of FG) and import them in. Create the npc's, items, and text and save them. When you run the game you share the map so everyone can see it, assume the identity of the npc's (so the text you enter 'comes' from them), and drag and drop the text you created into the chat window.

You can also just 'wing' a game if that is what you wanted, just like around a table.

3. Not sure what 'list' you are talking about for modifiers. But, you can add dice rolls to the hot bar and then drag and drop them onto the mod box or just generate the roll using the hot keys (f1, shift f1, cntr f1 ect). Is that what you are talking about?

4. Not yet but it has been asked for already. Something might come down the pipe farther down the line.

rv

msd
February 17th, 2005, 03:27
Richvalle gave a great response...here's a couple of things additionally.

1st: When I read the manual it says that you can drag the class and race info into a character sheet, I tried to but it didn't seem to work that way. Am I doing something wrong or am I just missing something?

I also am not sure about this...if its bugging you and you think its a bug, the House of Healing forum (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewforum.php?f=9)is always monitored by the developers.

2nd: How do you create modules / maps / Etc.. to load into FG? or Can you just use FG to connect up with a group and "wing" a game with no maps / etc.?

Creating modules is best covered by the manual that comes with the application...basically story pages contain your narrative text and the DM's notes. There is a place for maps, NPCs, artifacts, a combat tracker, etc. all accessible through the interface (mainly the buttons on the right hand side of the gaming desktop).

As a more specific example, maps are just image files (.gif .png .jpg, etc.). They are "loaded" into FG by simply copying them into the "images" directory of a specific campaign folder. Check out this folder as an example:

C:\Program Files\FantasyGrounds\campaigns\A Tale of Dinor\images

3rd: How can you input more modifiers into the list so they are usable?

Take a look at a file called:
C:\Program Files\FantasyGrounds\rulesets\d20\database\modifie rs.xml

You will see code like this:

<node name="pointblankshot1">
<stringvalue name="description" value="Point Blank Shot" />
<intvalue name="value" value="+1" />
</node>

<node name="rapidshot2">
<stringvalue name="description" value="Rapid Shot" />
<intvalue name="value" value="-2" />
</node>

<node name="manyshot4">
<stringvalue name="description" value="Manyshot" />
<intvalue name="value" value="-4" />
</node>

Therefore (I believe), you should be able to simply add your own entries:

<node name="MYBONUSNAME">
<stringvalue name="description" value="My Bonus" />
<intvalue name="value" value="+2" />
</node>

If it were *me*, I would do this as a house rule extension...just seems like best practices so you don't monkey with the original rulesets, but hey...you're call. The developers posted a great thread on how to do that here (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=40).

4th: if FG is using the 3.5 rules for D&D, could you load characters from a program like eToolsinto it and FG would put them in character format sheet, due to both are xsl formats, am I right?

They are both in xml, which means you can use xsl to transform the data from one format to the other. In English, that means that if you know xsl, you can take a xml character file from another company...write an xsl file that will transform the data into the xml that FG understands and then simply dump the new xml file into the right directory in FG.

I did something very small in a slightly different vein, showing how to turn FG xml into html...same general concept. I'm not sure if it will help, but you can find that here (https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=280).

I feel sure that either the community or SmiteWorks itself will address this sooner or later...

Hope some of that info complemented what Rich had given you.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

-Matt

Ged
February 17th, 2005, 20:35

Can you give the page number as I cannot find the right place; then I can tell if there is some kind of secret meaning to the instruction :P . Thanks!

Sargond
February 19th, 2005, 16:36
it is not where I thought sorry :oops:
it is the creation of characters with put spell into the sheets (my bad)

But on this topic is there a way to drag the weapon / armor info into the character sheet or do we have to type all that info in right now?

That feature would be nice in quick creation of characters.

and one more thing is there also a way to imput more monsters into the "monster manual" I am missinng some that I am using in my tabletop campaign right now...it would be nice...