PDA

View Full Version : Effects the Complete Paladin Package

Zacchaeus
December 19th, 2015, 15:00
Another of the short tutorials on setting up effects this time for the Paladin Class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Paladin with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character.

A word on Spells: At the time of writing virtually every spell can be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and will create a suitable effect (if one is needed). The only things you will want to check are that the correct ability score is entered into the spell Power Group so that Saving Throw DCs and attack rolls are correctly computed, and that the duration of spells has been correctly updated in the effect.

Divine Health – disease isn’t a recognised condition so this effect is just a reminder
Divine Sense – no effect but we need to track usage.
Divine Smite – drop on Paladin just before damage is rolled. Extra damage lines can be added to cover all possible spell slot levels.
Improved Divine Smite – can be permanently applied; alternatively add the extra damage to all melee weapons in the weapons section. The effect is easier though.
Lay on Hands – You can work this in various ways but 5 hp for the healing and set the number of uses equal to the level works well. 5hp also equals one cure disease or neutralize poison so is a nice number to work with. At very low level you can just use 1hp.

Oath of the Crown (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
Turn the Tide – Can’t set up an effect to test how many hp the target might have so will have to manually decide if the target has fewer than ˝ hp.
Note: Put all Channel Divinities into one power group to handle usage more easily; set the spell DC and uses in the Power Group dialog
Divine Allegiance – Can’t set an effect for this. You can CTRL-drag the damage back onto the initial victim to ‘heal’ it and then drag the same damage onto the Paladin from the chat output.
Unyielding Spirit – Can’t set an effect to test for a particular condition such as paralysed so this will need to be done manually – the effect here is just a reminder

Oath of Devotion
Sacred Weapon – Note that this effect cannot test to see which weapon is being used and so the effect as it stands will apply the bonuses to any weapon used.
Turn the Unholy – You can’t test for creature type before forcing a save
Holy Nimbus – Can’t test for spells cast by specific creature types (nor actually for spells) so the second part will have to be done manually.

Oath of the Ancients
Aura of Warding – There’s no test that can be made for spells so this effect can’t be placed all the time since it would give resistances against every source of damage. Place it just before characters are about to take damage from spells.
Undying Sentinel – Can’t automate this but the entry is here so that usage can be tracked
Elder Champion – Can’t create an effect which can test for the conditions needed, so the only option is to place this effect on NPCs just before the paladin forces the saving throw.

Oath of Vengeance
Abjure Enemy – The ‘IF’ effect isn’t really necessary, but if you want to use it place it on the enemy just before the saving throw is forced. Otherwise it’s easy enough to handle the disadvantage manually.
Vow of Enmity – SHIFT-drag this effect onto the target so that only the Paladin gets the attack advantage.

New file uploaded with corrections 12/5/16 - (prev views 238)

TheSlowestZombie
March 12th, 2016, 21:36
EDIT: Disregard. I downloaded the xml again and there was no problem.

Divine Smite – drop on Paladin just before damage is rolled. Extra damage lines can be added to cover all possible spell slot levels.

I noticed that the syntax might have changed for damage formulas since this was created. Extra damage wasn't being added as expected. As built into the template, smite damage is:

DMG: 2d8+[CHA] radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8+[CHA] radiant

The actual formula that's working for me in 3.1.7 is:

DMG: 2d8 [CHA] radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 [CHA] radiant

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2016, 22:27
I believe that you may be seeing things :)

First; you don't get a CHA bonus to Divine Smite. As written in the character Divine Smite is as follows: DMG: 2d8 radiant; IFT: TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8 radiant

If you wanted to add a CHA bonus to that then neither of the examples which you show above work. The correct syntax would be: DMG: 2d8, [CHA], radiant;IFT:TYPE(fiend,undead);DMG:1d8,[CHA],radiant.

Note the commas after the 2d8

And a belated welcome to FG and to the community.

TheSlowestZombie
March 12th, 2016, 23:35
Downloaded again and sure enough everything was working as intended. Not sure how that stat got in there before - I don't know enough about paladins to think to add it myself or to recognize that's not rules as written. :confused: Must have failed a sanity check recently. Thanks for the welcome!

Edit: Sanity restored. My player was experimenting with multiclassing a warlock using a pact from Unearthed Arcana and that was giving him the CHA bonus.

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2016, 23:48
Jolly good. Not too sure how the stat could have crept in there either, but at least it's all sorted now ��

jwrightFANTASYG
May 7th, 2016, 11:31
First off thank you for all these great templates! So very helpful.

On Divine Sense, how can I set/edit the number usage ticks?

Zacchaeus
May 7th, 2016, 12:13
Click on the word next to 'Mode' down the bottom left hand side of the actions tab until it says 'preparation'. That will expose a number of dialogs down the left hand side where you can enter the number of uses and when the uses return (i.e. short/long rest etc).

dmkevin
May 7th, 2016, 12:46
Great job Zacchaeus!

jwrightFANTASYG
May 7th, 2016, 16:35
Thanks - I would have never found that!

Zacchaeus
May 7th, 2016, 17:40
Thanks - I would have never found that!

Yes you would have because you would eventually have got around to reading this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Mode_and_Display) :)

pxbest
May 10th, 2016, 14:14
Okay, I have tried three converters and multiple programs trying to open this file. What's the secret?

Zacchaeus
May 10th, 2016, 15:32
Download it and save it somewhere. Now open up Fantasy Grounds click on the big PCs button on the top right hand side. In the window that opens click on the brownish button at the middle bottom and then on the blue arrow that appears. Navigate to wherever you saved the character and click on it to import it into FG. Now you can select the character from the selection window and browse away.

pxbest
May 10th, 2016, 15:58
Ahh! Excellent. Will try when I get home tonight! thank you.

Tigerstrike
May 12th, 2016, 04:37
Unless I am mistaken. The paladins Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon) Does not add charisma bonus to the damage. Just the attack roll. Its marked as such in the file.

Sacred Weapon.
As an action, you can imbue one weapon that you are holding with positive energy, using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, you add your Charisma modifier to attack rolls made with that weapon (with a minimum bonus of +1). The weapon also emits bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light 20 feet beyond that. If the weapon is not already magical, it becomes magical for the duration.You can end this effect on your turn as part of any other action. If you are no longer holding or carrying this weapon, or if you fall unconscious, this effect ends.

Either way thank you for all of these they are amazingly good help.

Zacchaeus
May 12th, 2016, 15:53
Unless I am mistaken. The paladins Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon) Does not add charisma bonus to the damage. Just the attack roll. Its marked as such in the file.

Sacred Weapon.
As an action, you can imbue one weapon that you are holding with positive energy, using your Channel Divinity. For 1 minute, you add your Charisma modifier to attack rolls made with that weapon (with a minimum bonus of +1). The weapon also emits bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light 20 feet beyond that. If the weapon is not already magical, it becomes magical for the duration.You can end this effect on your turn as part of any other action. If you are no longer holding or carrying this weapon, or if you fall unconscious, this effect ends.

Either way thank you for all of these they are amazingly good help.

You are correct, well spotted. An amended file has been uploaded.

tadkil
May 14th, 2016, 01:16
I am maxed at the amount of bonus I can give to your reputation, but this is brilliant.

rexx
May 14th, 2016, 05:45
Wow this is awesome thank you!

Monkn
June 26th, 2016, 23:39
So I am not the brightest bird in the world. So I will ask this. Where does this file go and how do I use it? Thank you form a dull bird

LordEntrails
June 27th, 2016, 00:50
Put it in your data/characters folder, then in the campaign you want to look at it, from the PC/Character page, activate the edit command and do an import. Then select the file.

Zacchaeus
June 27th, 2016, 11:02
So I am not the brightest bird in the world. So I will ask this. Where does this file go and how do I use it? Thank you form a dull bird

What LordEntrails said and see post #12 above for more details.

Once you have that character in FG you can drag any of the prepared effects from that character onto your own to reproduce them. This will apply to the rogue as well (reference your other thread on this subject).

TurkRPh
July 26th, 2017, 20:09
Thanks in advance for this thread an the info. I've imported the 20th level paladin and dragged Aura of Prot to the Actions tab. How do I see that it is being applied to a save? The saves on the Main sheet aren't updated and when I do a test save roll it doesn't apply the edit. I just started learning FG so I may be missing something very easy/obvious.

Thanks!

Trenloe
July 26th, 2017, 20:27
Welcome to the forums TurkRPh

A few things about effects:
- The PC (or NPC) need to be in the combat tracker.
- The effect needs to be added to the NPC in the combat tracker. In the case of the Aura of Protection, the effect is Aura of Protection; SAVE: [CHA] The [CHA] means that it will use the PC's Charisma bonus and for this to work the effect must be applied tot he combat tracker from a PC's character sheet actions tab by pressing the man outline button for the effect.
- Effects will not adjust any value on the character sheet, it adjusts the roll and/or targeting result (e.g. reported hit/miss in the case of an attack).

More info on effects here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

TurkRPh
July 26th, 2017, 20:34
Welcome to the forums TurkRPh

A few things about effects:
- The PC (or NPC) need to be in the combat tracker.
- The effect needs to be added to the NPC in the combat tracker. In the case of the Aura of Protection, the effect is Aura of Protection; SAVE: [CHA] The [CHA] means that it will use the PC's Charisma bonus and for this to work the effect must be applied tot he combat tracker from a PC's character sheet actions tab by pressing the man outline button for the effect.
- Effects will not adjust any value on the character sheet, it adjusts the roll and/or targeting result (e.g. reported hit/miss in the case of an attack).

More info on effects here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

That did it. Thank you so much. We're doing a test run tonight and I'll be honest the combat tracker has been a bit confused.

Trenloe
July 26th, 2017, 20:40
We're doing a test run tonight and I'll be honest the combat tracker has been a bit confused.
Good luck.

To be perfectly honest, for your first few runs, don't try to automate everything with effects - you have way too much to get used to without applying (and removing) lots of effects, etc.. Get used to the FG interface first - share maps and story entries, get used to the basics of the combat tracker (Initiative, targeting and hit points), get used to the PC sheet and, for the GM, the NPC sheet, etc., etc..

For your first session I'd recommend you consider making rolls like you would do in a face-to-face game - either manually set the modifier/ADV/DISADV in the modifier stack/with the buttons below the chat window before rolling, or just roll and work out the totals yourself (just like you would do face-to-face). You can still trigger the roll from the PC or NPC sheet, which will have the base bonus and saves a lot of time to start with.

Then, as you get more familiar with FG, you can start to look at things like effects and more advanced combat tracker features. It was probably my fifth session that I even considered using effects.

Discmage
July 26th, 2018, 18:14
Deleted due to continued delving into the app :) Filters are sometimes dangerous :)

epithet
February 21st, 2019, 18:25
Oath of the Ancients
Aura of Warding – There’s no test that can be made for spells so this effect can’t be placed all the time since it would give resistances against every source of damage. Place it just before characters are about to take damage from spells.

Just checking to see if possibly Moon snuck a test for this in when magic resistance was fully implemented. Anyone know?

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2019, 19:58
Just checking to see if possibly Moon snuck a test for this in when magic resistance was fully implemented. Anyone know?

Add an effect called MAGIC RESISTANCE. Note that in the graphic no advantage was granted against the Dex save against the dragon breath but was against the acolytes Fire Bolt spell.

epithet
February 24th, 2019, 13:27
Add an effect called MAGIC RESISTANCE. Note that in the graphic no advantage was granted against the Dex save against the dragon breath but was against the acolytes Fire Bolt spell.

I knew about MAGIC RESISTANCE, but I was wondering about RESIST: magic. I know there is a magic damage type that applies to weapons, but as far as I know there is no way to implement the Oath of the Ancients aura that give you damage resistance vs spells and magical effects. Since there is now a magic tick for spells, I think this can be implemented... I just don't know whether it has, or how to code the effect on the tracker if it has.

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2019, 14:48
Oh, sorry. I misread what the aura does. No there isn't anything like RESIST: magic. I think the only way to do that would be to click the half button for characters who are about to take magic damage just before the roll.

Intruder
February 24th, 2019, 18:49
I am being stumped as to why Magic Resistance is not being recognized in defense of a monster.
The effect 'Magic Resistance' is in the stat block, and shows in the effects in the CT.

Thunderwave, Fireball and Lightning Bolt spells still cause a regular save, though, weirdly,
a save from a 'Light' cantrip is rolled with Advantage.

Am I not seeing something?

DevilsCut85
March 10th, 2019, 19:01
First time player of FG, and first time poster as well!

Zacc, these effects tables are great not only for getting my players set up, but also for helping me slowly learn the intricacies of the Effects program of FG. Appreciate all you're doing!

I had a quick question about the spell slot counter next to Lay on Hands. Even after scouring the wiki, I can't for the life of me figure out how to add those number of uses tickers to a single spell. I can only add them to all of the powers in the list; similar to what's in the Battle Master section of your Fighter effects package. I've dragged your Lay on Hands spell from the package to my group's paladin character since you already had it set up so the number of uses transferred over, but I'm hoping this is a "teach a man to fish" situation. Any chance you could walk a newbie through that process or point me in the direction of what spells it out?

Thanks again!

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2019, 19:13
Hi DevilsCut welcome to FG.

Down at the bottom left of the actions tab you will see two boxes. Click on the left hand 'Mode' one until it reads 'Preparation'. This will bring up a box against each action along with another cycler for Day/Rest/Once. Enter the number in the blank box and then set the cycler to Rest (for when the number comes back on a short rest) or Day (for when the number comes back on a long rest). More information here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Mode_and_Display

DevilsCut85
March 10th, 2019, 19:48
Thanks, Zacc! Took me a couple tries, but I got it. I had to put the overall Power grouping number of Uses as blank, then it allowed me to enter what I needed.

If I'd put any number in the uses column, regardless of Rest, Once, or Daily, it would remove those three selections from the individual spell listings.

Again, thanks for your help! First time working with this system, so I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions down the line in a lot of other areas. :D

EarlGraye
March 12th, 2019, 01:09
Channel Divinity (Conquest)

Conquering Presence - Not sure on the syntax but to set it up I "Added Action - Cast" and set the Save to Type = Wis, DC = Group DC + which is set to CHA.
I then "Added Action - Effect" and typed in "Frightened". Set the Duration to 1 Min. And left Targeting to Targets and Expend to Never

Guided Strike - ATK: 10; [ROLL]; [SELF]

I know Guided Strike isn't right and probably can't be coded because we are allowed to add the 10 after the attack roll but before the DM announces a hit or miss.
How about Conquering Presence? Is the syntax correct? Is there a way to force the save to be rerolled at the end of each of the creature's turns or should that just be left up to the DM?

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2019, 01:44
Yes, the frightened bit is correct.

And you are right there isn’t a way to have a saving throw made automatically. FG treats saves as a sort of attack roll. It is forced on the target by the actor that needs the save to determine what happens next. So when the target’s action comes around and they need to make the save again the player can force it as normal by targeting and forcing the save on the target. That way the correct DC is used so that success or failure can be determined.

MrDndTomball
April 13th, 2020, 01:53
Thanks for all the hard work you've put into the Complete Packages. The links seem to be dead now. Is there a place where I can find the packages? Even willing to pay for them since you've done so much work.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 02:21
Thanks for all the hard work you've put into the Complete Packages. The links seem to be dead now. Is there a place where I can find the packages? Even willing to pay for them since you've done so much work.
The link on the first post works for me. What issue are you having?

MrDndTomball
April 13th, 2020, 03:19
Thanks for the quick reply. Every link that shows, " Attached Files" with the paper clip are all greyed out and not live. So, can't click and download them.

MrDndTomball
April 13th, 2020, 03:23
Good luck.

To be perfectly honest, for your first few runs, don't try to automate everything with effects - you have way too much to get used to without applying (and removing) lots of effects, etc.. Get used to the FG interface first - share maps and story entries, get used to the basics of the combat tracker (Initiative, targeting and hit points), get used to the PC sheet and, for the GM, the NPC sheet, etc., etc..

For your first session I'd recommend you consider making rolls like you would do in a face-to-face game - either manually set the modifier/ADV/DISADV in the modifier stack/with the buttons below the chat window before rolling, or just roll and work out the totals yourself (just like you would do face-to-face). You can still trigger the roll from the PC or NPC sheet, which will have the base bonus and saves a lot of time to start with.

Then, as you get more familiar with FG, you can start to look at things like effects and more advanced combat tracker features. It was probably my fifth session that I even considered using effects.

Thanks for that advice. I will be running Fantasy Grounds for the first time and will be following it. Thanks.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 04:19
Hmm, I've never seen that. Not sure what to say. If you couldn't see the links then I would suggest to make sure you are using the FGResponsive theme (bottom left pulldown) and that you are viewing the full site and not the mobile/archive.

But maybe you have an security feature on your browser that is preventing downloads? Not really sure what else it could be.

Benza88
April 23rd, 2020, 19:20
Im confused as to how i correctly implement aura of protection in the effects tab. I cant seem to get it to work. Any help would be most helpful :)

LordEntrails
April 23rd, 2020, 19:32
Im confused as to how i correctly implement aura of protection in the effects tab. I cant seem to get it to work. Any help would be most helpful :)
Welcome!

Can you post a screen shot of the ability from your actions tab?

Myrdin Potter
April 23rd, 2020, 20:59

If you want it to automatically work if someone is in range, there is no current way to do that in Fantasy Grounds. The best you can do is make an effect to apply to the targets that the aura applies to.

Benza88
April 30th, 2020, 17:18
Im unsure how to correctly add the effect so that i can apply it to other people that are within range. I'm fine with having to turn the effect on and off on those within range but confused as to how i create it. I've tried a few times and it did'nt work so i just deleted them. Is there a quick reference guide to what words set up what effects and how to use them so i can just mess with them and try to build it?

LordEntrails
April 30th, 2020, 23:31
Im unsure how to correctly add the effect so that i can apply it to other people that are within range. I'm fine with having to turn the effect on and off on those within range but confused as to how i create it. I've tried a few times and it did'nt work so i just deleted them. Is there a quick reference guide to what words set up what effects and how to use them so i can just mess with them and try to build it?
I think this is how I would create it. You could change the duration (remove it) and then maybe change the Expand to next roll. All depends on how you want to use it.

EDIT: Oh, and I usually use the FGC wiki since I am most familiar. The same info should be int eh FGU wiki too. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2020, 01:10

Some videos for you which covers how to set up effects https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

Benza88
May 3rd, 2020, 15:27
Thanks for the help! I'm new to this stuff but im really liking FG so far!

Sgt.Rock008
May 16th, 2020, 17:11
I have Sacred Weapon set up as a paladin feature in the actions tab but what is the proper syntax to make melee weapon damage magic? Would "DMGTYPE: melee, magic" work?

Zacchaeus
May 16th, 2020, 17:49
You'd want the following effect: ATK: [CHA]; DMGTYPE: magic

There's no mention of this being limited to melee weapons so there's no need to limit it in that way.

KainVorador
May 28th, 2020, 23:45
It would be really helpful if you had a link to all the other classes as a quote or something.

Scuba72
May 29th, 2020, 01:20
All of the classes are in the stickies but if youd like to bookmark them yourself.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information Has most of the completed classes.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41546-Effects-for-Xanathar-Archetypes Has the Xanathar archetypes
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/overview FGU Wiki
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884913/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation Advanced Automation specific page from the wiki
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects the effects syntax reference page

ferfrecha
September 21st, 2020, 20:07
How do I install this?

Zacchaeus
September 21st, 2020, 21:26
Hi ferfrecha, welcome to FG.

Download the file from the lonk and then open a campaign in FG. Click on PC button and then on the blue import character button then on import file and navigate to wherever you saved the downloaded file.

Arkaziel
February 21st, 2021, 18:29
So is there a way to make Aura of Protection actually apply to your party members automatically, or do you have to manually turn it on and off as people move constantly?

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2021, 02:14
So is there a way to make Aura of Protection actually apply to your party members automatically, or do you have to manually turn it on and off as people move constantly?
No, effects currently have no knowledge of distance to targets so auras can not be automated.

Do note that the devs recently released some beta api's that measure tokens between distances. So I suspect that aura automation is in the future.

Toadkiller
February 24th, 2021, 22:05
Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57417-5E-Aura-Effects

Looks like it works if the DM moves the players or if the tokens are locked.

Griogre
April 11th, 2024, 04:54
The complete paladin. You can add it to the first post

Zacchaeus
April 11th, 2024, 09:10
The complete paladin. You can add it to the first post

Thanks. Done.