PDA

View Full Version : Effects The Complete Fighter Package

Zacchaeus
December 18th, 2015, 18:24
The next of the 'mini tutorials' this time showing how to create the effects for the Fighter class. The file attached to this post contains a level 20 Fighter with all of the effects in the actions tab. In order to get the best out of the character you should have access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack to view the links. The notes below are meant to compliment the character. In order to keep things reasonably short I have not commented on many of the abilities where either no effect is needed or cannot be created.

A word on Spells: At the time of writing virtually every spell can be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and will create a suitable effect (where one is needed). The only things you will want to check are that the correct ability score is entered into the spell Power Group so that Saving throw DCs and attack rolls are correctly computed, and that the duration of spells has been correctly updated in the effect.

Action Surge – no effect needed but it’s here to track the number of uses between rests
Fighting Style – no effects needed, everything is handled elsewhere
Indomitable - again no effect but here to track the number of uses
Second wind – drag drop will set up the effect but make sure you edit the number of uses per rest so that use of the ability can be tracked (see also Rallying Cry below).

Purple Dragon Knight (Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
Rallying Cry - Drag/drop to set up. If set up as shown in the character only one tracking button is needed for this and second wind. Both could also be in separate groups and tracked individually.

Champion
Remarkable Athlete – we can’t test to see if a proficiency bonus is already being given to a particular skill so apply this effect only when a roll is just about to be made that doesn’t use the abilities mentioned. The initiative part can be applied permanently.
Survivor – there isn’t a way to test if the character is at 0 hit points so the effect should be removed immediately when that happens.

Battlemaster
Combat Superiority – Put all the maneuvers in the same Power Group. Remember to choose which ability you want to use for saving throw DCs in the Power Group and also to edit the number of uses per rest.
NOTE: most of the maneuvres allow the fighter to roll an extra dice of damage which changes at certain levels. Instead of, as I have done, have an effect under each one just have one to cover them all. That way you only need to change one effect when you gain higher dice values.
Commander’s Strike – drag the effect onto your ally before they roll for damage
Disarming Strike – drop the damage onto yourself before damage is rolled. There isn’t a ‘dropped’ condition so the effect is there just as a reminder.
Distracting Strike – make sure that the advantage effect is placed on the NPC after the fighter has made all of his attacks otherwise they might get advantage when they shouldn’t.
Evasive Footwork – the AC condition can’t take a dice as a parameter; only numbers. An effect can't therefore be set up for this.
Feinting Attack – SHIFT-drag the advantage effect onto the NPC to ensure only the fighter gets advantage and not some other ally.
Goading Attack – in order to fully automate the disadvantage, place the initial effect on the NPC and then SHIFT-drag (using the targeting reticule on the combat tracker) from the NPC onto every other target except the fighter.
Parry – there isn’t a way to create an effect for this so add in your Dex modifier into the modifiers box, roll a d8 then CTRL-drag the result from chat and drop in your wounds to ‘heal’ that part of the damage. (Unless of course that would exceed the amount of damage done – in which case do it manually)
Precision Attack – place effect on the fighter just before making the roll. If it’s decided to add the d8 after the roll is made then add in a d8 manually and ignore the effect.
Sweeping Attack – you’ll need lines for each damage type your fighter can do to cover all possibilities; remember to include the magic type if you wield a magical weapon.
Relentless – no effect can be created to recover superiority dice.

Eldritch Knight Archetype
Eldritch Strike – You can’t use DISSAV with effect targeting so there isn’t a way to ensure that any disadvantage is only against the fighter. Therefore place the effect just before a save is necessary or handle it manually.

TMO
December 31st, 2015, 04:31
Fighting Style – no effects needed, everything is handled elsewhere

Would you please help me understand in what way fighting style benefits are handled elsewhere. At the moment, I am trying to figure out how the Duelist feature (+2 to damage for one handed melee weapons) should be handled. I realize I could modify the weapon's damage and put a +2 in the damage bonus. I would probably change the name to make it clear that this is ONLY when the Duelist feature is being used. Is that the best practice approach or is there something obvious I am missing?

Zacchaeus
December 31st, 2015, 11:03
Would you please help me understand in what way fighting style benefits are handled elsewhere. At the moment, I am trying to figure out how the Duelist feature (+2 to damage for one handed melee weapons) should be handled. I realize I could modify the weapon's damage and put a +2 in the damage bonus. I would probably change the name to make it clear that this is ONLY when the Duelist feature is being used. Is that the best practice approach or is there something obvious I am missing?

No, you are missing nothing. You could create an effect DMG:2,melee but then that would add two damage to ANY melee attack so it could include attacks when the fighter is equipped with a second weapon, a two handed weapon or is using his bare hands or anything else which constitutes a melee attack. Having said that if the fighter takes this style it is very likely that he will always want to use it so it might very well be safe enough to create such an effect.

My personal preference would be to add the +2 into the specific weapon(s) that could be used with the ability but there would probably be no huge downside to setting an effect.

chrisiav
January 5th, 2016, 12:12
First, thanks for the work on the classes. Its been a great help.

On fighting styles, I've been manually working with Great Weapon Fighting, rerolling manually when a 1 or 2 pops up. Is there any way to automate the rolls?

Also, on versatile weapons, do I just create a new weapon with the two handed dmg bonus or is there some way to automate switching back and forth?

Thanks,

Chris

Griogre
January 5th, 2016, 16:58
On the Great Weapon fighting, in the weapon properties add reroll 2, ie the properties for a Greatsword would be: Heavy, two-handed, reroll 2

Be aware that there won't be a new dice animation thrown if the reroll is triggered but you can tell its working if you see something that starts [RESULT MOD D1=6,D2=2]. In this case a reroll was triggered on both dice with a 6 coming up on the reroll of the 1st die but a 2 coming up on the reroll of the 2nd die. Just a FYI, reroll isn't brutal its just one reroll if triggered so you can end up with 1s or 2s though they are less likely.

On versatile weapons, just making a new weapon is the easiest way.

Kempest
February 2nd, 2016, 14:43
nice, if you add this "reroll 2" then it automatically rerolls 1+2?

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2016, 14:52
nice, if you add this "reroll 2" then it automatically rerolls 1+2?

Yes, as Griogre points out place reroll 2 in the weapon properties and FG will automatically roll any 1's or 2's that are rolled when rolling for damage.

Kempest
February 2nd, 2016, 14:59
thanks for this info, i took another fighting style because i hated how the fighter manually rerolled his 1 or 2 then manually changed the damage :(

but then i love it =)

thanks for the Package and this help!

Myrdin Potter
January 22nd, 2017, 23:27
When adding the "reroll 2", do I put this in the main halberd entry or can I click the magnifying glass on the action in the character sheet and add it in there in the blank properties field? If the main halberd, then I need to make a new item that is a copy of the original halberd but has the reroll 2 added? I cannot really test this as the reroll is not shown that i can tell.

Zacchaeus
January 22nd, 2017, 23:44
It needs to go in the properties in the action tab. It's not a property of the weapon but the character.

Dax Doomslayer
October 25th, 2017, 01:05
All these have been extremely helpful for me - thanks for this Zacchaeus. Out of curiosity, when Xanther's comes out will these be updated?

Zacchaeus
October 25th, 2017, 01:55
Maybe, depending on available time.

Dax Doomslayer
October 25th, 2017, 21:27
Cool - I totally understand that. I do want to thank you as it is also helping me learn the program!!

Giulymani
April 7th, 2018, 18:37
No, you are missing nothing. You could create an effect DMG:2,melee but then that would add two damage to ANY melee attack so it could include attacks when the fighter is equipped with a second weapon, a two handed weapon or is using his bare hands or anything else which constitutes a melee attack. Having said that if the fighter takes this style it is very likely that he will always want to use it so it might very well be safe enough to create such an effect.

My personal preference would be to add the +2 into the specific weapon(s) that could be used with the ability but there would probably be no huge downside to setting an effect.

Guys I have a technical question about that.
May you explain (practically) what to type down and where on my Character Sheet anything I need to use a superiority dice?
I understood that I need to add a "different" attack on the action tag (of the CS) and calculate the value of the superiority dice (which is d8 until level 10).

Please your help is going to be really helpful, because I need to pass to level 3 soon.

Thanks,

Giuly :)

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2018, 21:17
Giulymani I posted a reply in the other thread where you asked the same question.

StarDebut
July 17th, 2018, 19:04
Hi Zacchaeus,

Problem here.

I dragged over Combat Superiority for the Battle Master from your template to my character. Slots are disappearing when I drag. See my screenshot. Any advice? Have I not read the instructions properly?

LordEntrails
July 17th, 2018, 19:17
Hi Zacchaeus,

Problem here.

I dragged over Combat Superiority for the Battle Master from your template to my character. Slots are disappearing when I drag. See my screenshot. Any advice? Have I not read the instructions properly?

Change the Mode at the bottom of sheet to Preparation/Standard/Combat.

StarDebut
July 17th, 2018, 22:00
Change the Mode at the bottom of sheet to Preparation/Standard/Combat. Thank you. That helps !

deer_buster
December 21st, 2018, 07:33
How would you add Improved Critical from the Champion?

Zacchaeus
December 21st, 2018, 08:44
How would you add Improved Critical from the Champion?

Click the magnifying glass on the weapons line in the actions tab (that’s the line that says weapons). This opens the weapon meta data dialog. Change the crit range here for melee and or ranged and you can also add in any additional dice gained on a critical.

Silverback67
January 17th, 2020, 21:21
Well, I hate to be THAT guy, but where or how do I download the mentioned character XML file??

Zacchaeus
January 17th, 2020, 21:31
Well, I hate to be THAT guy, but where or how do I download the mentioned character XML file??

From the link at the bottom of the first post. Make sure that you are not viewing the forums in Mobile View. Go to the very bottom of the page and select one of the other two choices from the drop down.

LordEntrails
January 17th, 2020, 21:32
The first post. If you do not see the link, then verify;
1) You are viewing the full site, not the mobile site
2) Set the forum theme to FG Responsive, bottom left corner

Silverback67
January 17th, 2020, 21:34
Thanks. As soon as I clicked "Full Site" at the bottom of the page, all is working! (Not sure how I ended up on the mobile page on my laptop).

Thanks again. Amazing work.

eriktedesco
March 29th, 2020, 11:17
Hi Zacchaeus, hope everything is fine on your side.

I'm having some issue with the Battle Master Archetype of the Fighter Class.

During data insertion (I'm transferring the physical book to FG), I have some issues in handling Battle Master's maneuvers.

Is there any way to make them dragon droppable? Otherwise, should I write them down in the COmbat Superiority feature and simply insert the appropiate modifications in the action tab of the Character Sheet?

Thanks again!

eriktedesco
March 29th, 2020, 11:32
Hi Zacchaeus, hope everything is fine on your side.

I'm having some issue with the Battle Master Archetype of the Fighter Class.

During data insertion (I'm transferring the physical book to FG), I have some issues in handling Battle Master's maneuvers.

Is there any way to make them dragon droppable? Otherwise, should I write them down in the COmbat Superiority feature and simply insert the appropiate modifications in the action tab of the Character Sheet?

Thanks again!

Sorry, Zacchaeus, I have just noticed that you deals with maneuvers as spells. Stupid me!

Zacchaeus
March 29th, 2020, 11:44
Sorry, Zacchaeus, I have just noticed that you deals with maneuvers as spells. Stupid me!

They are actions rather than spells. If you open the ability from the abilities tab and then switch to the actions tab you can drag and drop the ability into the actions tab to create your initial power group. Give the power group a name and then edit the data using the magnifying glass to add in the saving throw type etc. Then add in the manoeuvres and the effects that you need. More information on Power Groups here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884824/5E+Character+Sheet#Powers

eriktedesco
March 29th, 2020, 12:03
Thanks a lot Zacchaeus! I was referring to the way to make them dragon droppable! Thanks again!

Makuzi
March 30th, 2020, 01:52
Looks like Im that guy also. Where do I put the file once I DL it?

LordEntrails
March 30th, 2020, 03:09
Looks like Im that guy also. Where do I put the file once I DL it?
Go to you r PC list/window, select the edit icon then the import icon then import the xml.

Makuzi
March 31st, 2020, 01:42
Go to you r PC list/window, select the edit icon then the import icon then import the xml.

Thank you that worked :)

Zeropoint
September 16th, 2020, 09:48
Nevermind i fixed it T_T

Poe the Homunculus
October 18th, 2020, 05:00
So, have there been any changes to this since or on Unity?
Could Parry have the RESIST: all coding?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
October 18th, 2020, 09:35
The ruleset in Unity is the same as it is in Classic. There haven't been any changes to the ruleset that would make Parry (or any of the similar abilities that roll a dice after a hit or damage is scored).

Another way to do Parry (if you are fast enough shouting out before the DM does the damage) is for the DM to add the modifier into the modifier box before they roll the damage. But again this would require you to roll a d8 and add your ability modifier and have the DM use that number.

Poe the Homunculus
October 18th, 2020, 17:04
Given that, us there a way to change a hit to not a hit after adding an AC bonus?

Zacchaeus
October 18th, 2020, 17:49
Given that, us there a way to change a hit to not a hit after adding an AC bonus?

Yes. After the hit has been scored and the player wants to use a reaction (to, for example, Parry or cast Shield); have the player apply the effect to their character. Once they have done so then drag the attack roll from chat back onto the character on the CT (or on the token on the map) and the attack will be recalculated giving you another hit or a miss.

LordEntrails
October 18th, 2020, 23:28
Or, if you know the ability will cause the attack to miss, just don't roll damage and move on in the round.

Iggi
March 26th, 2021, 15:19
Question on Parry, is there something you could add similar to the Spirit Shield ability of Ancestral Protector Barbarian path?
For Example would this work?

DMG: -1d8-3; [ACTION]

Zacchaeus
March 26th, 2021, 20:05
Yes, that would work. Technically you get damaged before you decide to use your reaction of course so you should wait to see what the damage is before you make the roll using your reaction. Anothher way to do it is to have the NPC roll for damage without a target then you roll your parry dice and the DM adds thhet as a negative modifier into the modifier box and then drags the damage from chat back onto the target.

Poe the Homunculus
March 28th, 2021, 22:44
Would that be as an Effect, Heal, Damage, or Cast?
Thanks!

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2021, 23:16
It would be an effect.

Poe the Homunculus
March 31st, 2021, 01:38
Somehow I cannot get the effect to work. I put in DMG: -1d8-DEX, set the targeting to targets, and expend? to on next action.

Zacchaeus
March 31st, 2021, 08:30
You'll need too put the DEX bit in square brackets since it's a PCTag https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996642031/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation#PC-Specific-Notes

So DMG: -1d8 -[DEX]

Poe the Homunculus
April 1st, 2021, 17:23
Awesome, thank you, Zacchaeus! I drop that effect onto the creature doing the damage, not the person attacked, right?

Zacchaeus
April 1st, 2021, 21:01
Correct.

salan
October 23rd, 2021, 07:50
Thank you for putting this all together, although maybe this is a time issue as this message was posted 6 years ago now, I can't seem to be able to get the file that says is attached to this message.

Weird user error or ?

Zacchaeus
October 23rd, 2021, 09:25
Welcome to FG.

Make sure that you are not viewing the forum in mobile view. Find the drop down at the bottom of the page and select a view other than mobile view in order to see things like links.