PDA

View Full Version : What gets pushed to clients?

MathemAddicts
December 18th, 2015, 16:50
I am following the advice of creating a main campaign file and then modules for the chapters.

The main campaign file contains

Maps used throughout the campaign
Rumors and researchable topics throughout the campaign
The campaign back story
Laws and other pertinent information for the city the campaign centers around
The calendar is populated with important timeline events to organize my thoughts
Major NPCs that are encountered in pretty much every chapter

Each module/chapter contains

Monsters and NPCs for that chapter
Story-line for that chapter
Maps for that chapter
Etcetera

My concern is the amount of data that I am pushing to client computers. Here are my questions

When loading the main campaign, does everything (including maps, tokens, images, etc.) associated with that campaign immediately transfer to the client computers? Or does only the content that is "shared" (via the "share" option on the radial menus) get transferred to the client computers?
If we are in the middle of a gaming session and the players enter the next "chapter". Can I just open the module associated with the chapter right then and there? (I am thinking yes)
If so, will all the new content for this newly opened module be pushed to the client computers at that time?
I have read in several spots about an issue with packing tokens in modules and how that is a bit of a process. My vision was to have all my tokens in the same directory. Specifically, I wanted something like C:\FG2\Tokens\Host\Monsters\D for monsters with names starting with D. When, if ever, do these tokens get pushed to the client computer? Is it only when the creature they are attached to gets moved to a map as a token? Or do these all preload on day 1 of the campaign?
Finally, does all the data that is transferred at the beginning of the first session remain on the client computers throughout the campaign? More specifically, will there be a need for the clients to continuously re-download all the campaign data every time we start a session? If not, will FG be "smart" enough to version check for updated campaign information between sessions?

Thank you ahead of time for all the help this wonderful community provides,
Roy

Trenloe
December 18th, 2015, 17:13
1) Only the data you share with the players gets transferred. If the players don't have the base ruleset (for custom/community or purchased rulesets) then this ruleset and any extensions used will also be transferred at login. If this data hasn't changed since the last time the player logged in then it isn't transferred.

NOTE: Don't allow access to GM modules - only share what is needed on an as needed basis.

If you plan to allow access to player side modules (like the PHB in 5E), allow access to the module, but be prepared for a very slow upload when the players open the module for the first time in the library.

2) Yes. Open it and use it as required on the GM side. Share individual items as needed, don't allow player access to the whole module.

3) No - as long as you don't allow the players access to the module - leave it with the red X in Module Activation.

4) Keep your number of tokens stored in directories (not modules) to what you require. Each of these is loaded by the GM side when FG loads and takes load time and system memory. Keep the tokens in <FG app data>\tokens\host and the players won't see the tokens. Token will only be downloaded to the players side when they are needed.

5) For the most part FG will update the player cache with new data only. However, if there is an upgrade to rulesets/modules/extensions then FG may need to do a complete download of data again.