PDA

View Full Version : FG or Steam?

Mojo
December 18th, 2015, 14:33
I'm going to buy the Ultimate License but I was curious as whether there was any advantage to buying it on Steam as opposed to buying it on the FG website? Here's what I understand; please correct me if I'm wrong:

It's $149 here and on Steam it's $154.98 ($39.99 + $114.99 upgrade).
I can buy the Ultimate License here and still get DLC's from Steam or FG.
FG offers D&D Adventurers League modules that are not on Steam (Shackles of Blood for instance).
I can still connect with others even if they purchased through Steam.

I see no reason to purchase the license through Steam. Is there a reason?

dulux-oz
December 18th, 2015, 14:54
Hi Mojo,

Only if you like dealing with Steam :p

And welcome!

Mojo
December 18th, 2015, 15:09
Hi Mojo,

Only if you like dealing with Steam :p

And welcome!

Thanks for the welcome!

I have purchased many games through Steam with no problems but I see no reason to spend more to buy from them.

JohnD
December 18th, 2015, 15:20
Main thing is you're buying FG and that's a good choice.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2015, 15:47
There's really no difference in the end product you get. The Steam version is a front end to the same base FG installation so it's the same app you're using and players with the Steam "version" can connect to non Steam versions and vice versa. Additionally, if you purchase from FG, about a month later your license key will be sent to Steam and you can activate Fg on Steam with your base license key - so you'll be getting the Steam FG front end as well.

If you're not using a Mac (i.e you're using a PC) purchasing the licence from FG still allows you to buy DLC from the store and from Steam.

If you're not purchasing in USD some people have reported a lower cost after exchange rates have been taken into account.

Mojo
December 18th, 2015, 15:56
There's really no difference in the end product you get. The Steam version is a front end to the same base FG installation so it's the same app you're using and players with the Steam "version" can connect to non Steam versions and vice versa. Additionally, if you purchase from FG, about a month later your license key will be sent to Steam and you can activate Fg on Steam with your base license key - so you'll be getting the Steam FG front end as well.

If you're not using a Mac (i.e you're using a PC) purchasing the licence from FG still allows you to buy DLC from the store and from Steam.

If you're not purchasing in USD some people have reported a lower cost after exchange rates have been taken into account.

Thanks for the excellent information, Trenloe.

Griogre
December 18th, 2015, 18:23
The biggest reason to get FG from Steam, other than exchange rates, is the 4 for the price of 3 license pack always being available. Its a good deal if you are going to use FG face to face, for round robin GMing, or on an internal network since the the normal licenses don't have to "phone home" to the internet or have any dependencies to the alias/validation server.

Mojo
December 18th, 2015, 20:08
The biggest reason to get FG from Steam, other than exchange rates, is the 4 for the price of 3 license pack always being available. Its a good deal if you are going to use FG face to face, for round robin GMing, or on an internal network since the the normal licenses don't have to "phone home" to the internet or have any dependencies to the alias/validation server.

That's a good point, but I feel that the Ultimate license is the better deal for me. I don't have any other players around so face-to-face won't be an option. With the Ultimate license, I can allow more than three people to connect to my game without them needing to purchase their own licenses.

I've decided to purchase from FG. There are more than enough pro's to convince me it's better for me. Thanks to all of you for your opinions, advice, and information.

gaara6666
December 18th, 2015, 22:28
Welcome aboard!