PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ways to send fantasy grounds data to players.

Arislan24
December 17th, 2015, 20:45
Hi all,
I am looking for a way to cut through the obvious long load times inside fantasy grounds due to my slow upload rate and small bandwidth issues. I am a gm for a D&D 5E game and one of my issues is my slow upload rate and waiting nearly 15 minutes to load up maps and pictures for my players. I thought that if I could make a copy of the campaign that I am currently running for my players and send it to them through drop box or through email, they could drop the new file over their existing campaign folder and voila! no loading times as they will have all my images on their machines. However, every attempt I make at trying to copy and package up to send to my players prompts an error from fantasy grounds stating I can't do this. So, I am curious as to how I can get around my slow upload rate and keep our games going without load times. If anyone has any ideas please enlighten me. I am new to GM'ing in fantasy grounds.

P.s My upload bandwidth max is .75 MB. I have a download rate of 14 MBs and this is DSL.

Trenloe
December 17th, 2015, 21:37
It's not the campaign you need to package up for the players, it's the player cache. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20297-Low-upload-speed

However, if you use a localhost connection on the same computer you won't get everything across as module data is not cached when the module exists. If you have a second computer, connect from there (use a free licence) and get the player cache from that side. Remember to share the images etc. to this connection so that they are downloaded into the cache. Then unshare the images you don't want the players to see after sharing them - this will put the data in the cache, but won't have it available to the players until you share again.

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2015, 21:40
The 5E stuff is protected and so you can't make a copy of it - assuming you are using official modules of course.

If you are using your own stuff them the main thing is to keep map and graphic sizes as low as possible, ideally way less than 1mb.

You don't really want to be copying your players into your campaign since they'll get to see everything that you do. I'm wondering if that might be your problem in that you are sharing too much stuff with them? Make sure that your modules are all showing a red x rather than a green tick in your library (except the PHB of course). My connection is way worse than yours (my download speed is less than 1/3 of yours allegedly but I've never seen anything download at more than about 600k) and it doesn't take me much time to upload stuff to my players, even from official modules.

Arislan24
December 18th, 2015, 02:23
The 5E stuff is protected and so you can't make a copy of it - assuming you are using official modules of course.

If you are using your own stuff them the main thing is to keep map and graphic sizes as low as possible, ideally way less than 1mb.

You don't really want to be copying your players into your campaign since they'll get to see everything that you do. I'm wondering if that might be your problem in that you are sharing too much stuff with them? Make sure that your modules are all showing a red x rather than a green tick in your library (except the PHB of course). My connection is way worse than yours (my download speed is less than 1/3 of yours allegedly but I've never seen anything download at more than about 600k) and it doesn't take me much time to upload stuff to my players, even from official modules.

Thank you guys. This helps a lot and I also would Like to thank MorgantalerDm for his assistance in tutoring me through skype to make this happen. Thanks again. I made a file of my images in a player made instance of my own game. And then shared those maps with myself in player mode. Then I uploaded those files into drop box for the players to already have. Like you said I didn't need to use the campaign folder and that makes sense, since like you said, I do have bought modules inside that. But simply uploading my images of my maps I made was a smart bet in beating in game upload times. Basically Morgan showed me what Trenloe was saying in the first response.
I appreciate such fast responses!