PDA

View Full Version : dice rolling as GM

Neumannium
February 16th, 2005, 06:43
Hi all,

OK, so I know that I can type in a ? before the dice in a /die statement, for example:

/die ?3d20+3 will give me a result and keep it secret...

now, if I type

/die ?3d20+6 fireball Then it will give me the hidden roll with the descriptor 'fireball' in front of it.

Is there a way to 'unhide' the roll and still have the descriptor? I still want to keep the roll hidden, but when I reveal the total to the PCs, I would like the fireball descriptor to be in the same line as the result.

I would be willing to even have type the descriptor in again, as long as the dice roll result appears in the nice, big result bubble in the same line as the descriptor...

Does this make any sense? :?

Thanks for your help,

Neumannium

Bagpuss2
February 16th, 2005, 08:51
When you have a secret roll just pick it up and drop it back on the chat window the result of the roll is then displayed, with and descriptor you attached to it when it was a secret roll.

Neumannium
February 16th, 2005, 14:06
Well, I've been dragging it, and the dice roll appears in the next line, but the descriptor does not...

I'll check again.

Otherwise, am I doing something wrong? I just right click and drag the number upwards on the chat window.

Thanks.

Bagpuss2
February 16th, 2005, 14:48
How do you do a right click drag, right click just brings up the radial menu.

A left click drag drop works fine for me, are you patched to the most recent version?

Neumannium
February 16th, 2005, 14:51
I have version 1.03

Sorry, I meant left-click :oops: and drag.

I'll check again when I get home...maybe I just never tried this...

Neumannium
February 16th, 2005, 15:31
You're right!

When I left-click and drag, the descriptor does appear.

I had been using the 3rd mouse button, in which case the value is just placed in the next line.

Thank you so much!

Bagpuss2
February 16th, 2005, 16:08
Hmm now I have to try the third button as I never knew that did anything. Thanks.

WolfStar76
February 18th, 2005, 23:58
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something - but woulnd't it be easiest to just type /die 3d20+6 fireball if you don't want to hide the result?

Or are you saying you'd like the roll to be hidden, and then reveal the result + descriptor?

Neumannium
February 19th, 2005, 08:34
Yes, WolfStar, that was the problem. I still wanted the roll hidden, and then when I revealed it, I wanted the descriptor added.

It works fine if you drag the result to the chat window.

It also works fine if you type:

/die ?1d20+3 2-handed sword

then drag the result to the chat window.

I had just never tried dragging, only using my 3rd mouse button.

Sargond
February 19th, 2005, 16:30
okay i am trying to do the things you all are talking about ....with the /die and /die ? commands and nothing is rolling or doing anything but typing it in the chat line at the bottom of the chat window.

Am I missing something or just to much of a newb to figure it out :oops:

richvalle
February 19th, 2005, 17:45
okay i am trying to do the things you all are talking about ....with the /die and /die ? commands and nothing is rolling or doing anything but typing it in the chat line at the bottom of the chat window.

Am I missing something or just to much of a newb to figure it out :oops:

Hi Sargond,

They are talking about typing in "/die ?d8+3 sword damage" in the chat window and then hitting enter. This generates a random number but it is not shown to the players. You can then grab the number in the chat window, drag it off to the side and drop it and then it will show up on the players die with 'sword damage' text.

I found you can also type in the text and then roll a die and hit enter. So you can type in "fireball" and then roll 6d6. The chat line shows 'fireball' and a little die. When you hit enter you get "fireball ? 6 2 4 3 1 4" in the chat window. Then you could drag and drop that back into the chat window for the players to see.

Sargond
February 19th, 2005, 18:01
thanks rv i'll try that and see what happens

NeoDante
February 19th, 2005, 21:12
[I found you can also type in the text and then roll a die and hit enter. So you can type in "fireball" and then roll 6d6. The chat line shows 'fireball' and a little die. When you hit enter you get "fireball ? 6 2 4 3 1 4" in the chat window. Then you could drag and drop that back into the chat window for the players to see.[/quote]

That is a GREAT tip...I wish though you could type after the die roll so it would appear like Fireball does (die roll total) to So-and-so PC.

richvalle
February 19th, 2005, 22:04
[quote="NeoDante That is a GREAT tip...I wish though you could type after the die roll so it would appear like Fireball does (die roll total) to So-and-so PC.[/quote]

Well, its a poor subsitute but you can break it up onto two lines. After you drag and drop the damage into the chat window you get:

DM: The fireball does 29

you could quckly type "points of damage to the characters standing on the stairs" so you end up with

DM: The fireball does 29
DM: points of damage to the characters on the stairs.

rv