PDA

View Full Version : Effects - The Complete Barbarian Package

Zacchaeus
December 17th, 2015, 15:44
First in a possible series of 'mini tutorials' if you like about the effects that can (or need) to be set up to handle the features of each class. Attached to this post is an XML file for a 20th level Barbarian with all of the possible effects set up on it which can be imported into Fantasy Grounds. To fully utilise this file (ie to see the text of the links) you'll need access to the Player's Handbook or Core Class Pack.
Below are some notes that go with the file explaining some of the finer points and how to use the effects in some cases. If you like this idea then I will do more so let me know what you think. Also, it goes without saying if I have missed something, or you think there's a better way of doing something, or there's an error somewhere then do let me know so I can correct it.

Brutal Critical – Add extra weapon dice into the weapon Meta Data by clicking on the magnifying glass and adding in the extra dice. You can also create an effect as shown (remember to adjust to the correct dice).
Danger Sense – The save is only activated in specific circumstances so should not be applied all the time but just before the need for such a save.
Fast Movement – Adjust speed; no possible effect
Extra Attack – No possible effect
Indomitable Might – No possible effect
Primal Champion – No effect necessary just add to STR and CON directly
Rage – Note to adjust for number of rages per day (select preparation mode and edit the number per day) and also the damage for level.
Persistent Rage – No effect possible
Reckless Attack – Note only available if using STR based melee; so not useable if your Barbarian uses DEX based weaponry. No way to create an effect to detect what ability a weapon attack is using.
Relentless Rage – No effect to automate this feature so the effect created is there simply as a reminder.
Unarmored Defense – No effect necessary, adjusted for in AC
Battlerager Archetype (From Sword Coast Adventure Guide)
Battlerager Armor – No effect necessary, deal with this in weapons
Reckless Abandon – Drag and Drop the effect should set this one up correctly
Battlerager Charge – No effect needed or possible
Spiked Retribution – No effects needed; deal with as weapon
Berserker Archetype
Frenzy – No effect needed
Mindless Rage – As shown can be combined with Rage.
Retaliation – No effect possible
Intimidating Presence – Can be dragged/dropped to set effect. Note to adjust the ability used in the save to CHA and to set the duration to one round. Note also that the duration is until end of your round. DM should adjust the ‘Initiative to adjust on’ in the CT to a figure just after your initiative count. (eg your initiative is 15 change to 14.9)
Totem Warrior Archetype
Spirit Seeker – No additional effects needed
Totem Spirit – Bear and Eagle can be combined with Rage as shown. For Wolf retain the normal rage and add the attack advantage effect to place on nearby allies. For Elk and Tiger – no effects possible or necessary
Aspect of the Beast – Mostly effects can’t be created to handle automation and those that can are so situational the benefits can be handled more easily manually.
Spirit Walker – No effects necessary
Totemic Attunement : Bear - In order to apply this effect to allow automation the Barbarian should target all appropriate allies and place the effect on them. The DM then needs to SHIFT-drag the effect (using the small targeting reticule on the CT next to the effect) from each ally onto each possible enemy. This will give all enemies disadvantage to attack against everyone except the Barbarian.
Totemic Attunement: Others - For the other beast types in this feature no effects are necessary.

Aldente
December 17th, 2015, 17:24
This is awesome! I hope you decide to post for all the classes.

Skellan
December 17th, 2015, 17:52
That's a really good idea, thanks Zacchaeus

GunnarGreybeard
December 17th, 2015, 18:02
Excellent idea. As a DM I admit I am behind the curve on knowing how to set up much of the player stuff in the character sheet. Things like this make for great reference material.

ffujita
December 17th, 2015, 23:42
Maybe the forum gods -- minions of Pelor -- could put these in a folder and make them sticky.

damned
December 18th, 2015, 03:57
Maybe the forum gods -- minions of Pelor -- could put these in a folder and make them sticky.

Zacchaeus is a Mod - he will sticky it in the right spot in due course :)

Trenloe
December 18th, 2015, 22:28
Zacchaeus has done it already: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

maugrim8866
December 27th, 2015, 05:56
Probably a stupid question, but how does one import these into Fantasy Grounds? Thanks

Nevermind! found /importchar a minute after posting.

Thanks again for all the shares

damned
December 27th, 2015, 06:07
Probably a stupid question, but how does one import these into Fantasy Grounds? Thanks

sometimes you just have to put the question out there to find the answer... :)

Zacchaeus
December 27th, 2015, 12:10

You can also open up the PC dialog (the big button marked PC at the top right hand side) and then click on the 'Edit List' button at the bottom of this window and the click on the little blue arrow that appears.

LoganChops
April 25th, 2016, 04:21
Thank you so much for these! They really helped me to set stuff up for my group. I was wondering, how would you set up Relentless Endurance for a Barbarian?

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2016, 04:50
Thank you so much for these! They really helped me to set stuff up for my group. I was wondering, how would you set up Relentless Endurance for a Barbarian?
No way to automate this, but just setup a power that has one use per long rest that heals 1 HP. Then the PC uses that when they get knocked to 0 and it recharges with a long rest.

LoganChops
April 26th, 2016, 03:43
No way to automate this, but just setup a power that has one use per long rest that heals 1 HP. Then the PC uses that when they get knocked to 0 and it recharges with a long rest.

Awesome idea. Thank you!

tenaveran
May 1st, 2016, 17:16
Hi! This is a fantastic resource, but I feel a bit ignorant as to using it. I've got the character imported into my game, which is marvelous, but how do I copy the effects from this 20th level character to another character (i.e. one of my players' PCs who is not 20th)?

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2016, 17:44
Hi tenaveran.

Just drag the little dragon (or whatever icon you have) that's next to the effect on the character you downloaded into your player's one. You don't want them all of course just the ones that the character gets at whatever level they are. When you level up (using drag/drop) you'll see in chat and in the abilities tab what abilities they get and you can then drag in the effects for those abilities only.

tenaveran
May 1st, 2016, 18:00
Awesome. I thank you! Now I've got the ability there, and I changed the group from Spells (which it defaulted to) to Barbarian Features, but it's got the wrong # of uses. I clicked on the magnifying glass by Barbarian Features and changed it to 2 uses per Rest, but I've still only got one use Dot. Any ideas?

Zacchaeus
May 1st, 2016, 18:14
To set up uses click on the text next to the button at the bottom of the actions tab that says 'Mode' until it reads 'preparation'. This will open up a dialog alongside all of the powers which allows you to set the number of uses. Add in the number of uses and then click through the options until you get the right one. Note 'Rest' means short rest and Daily means long rest.

See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Mode_and_Display) for more information.

You can also set up uses for an entire group. See here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Powers) for the details.

tenaveran
May 1st, 2016, 18:16
OH MY GOD.

That is the key I was missing that has been frustrating me for days. THANK YOU!

fuzzyfreak
November 9th, 2018, 21:53
Sorry to necro this but I need help. Where do I put the xml file to get this to work. I don't know where to use /importchar I'm still new to FG.

Trenloe
November 9th, 2018, 21:58
Sorry to necro this but I need help. Where do I put the xml file to get this to work. I don't know where to use /importchar I'm still new to FG.
Welcome to the FG forums.

Save the XML to your computer (remember where you save it). In Fantasy Grounds type importchar in the chat window and select the XML file you saved to your computer.

Or open the PCs (character management) window and import through there. See "Import a Character" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Character_Management

fuzzyfreak
November 9th, 2018, 22:22
Thank you very much for the quick reply. One more question. I can drag rage to the PC but there is no use or Daily buttons Is there away to add that too?

I found it while poking around. Thanks again!

Zacchaeus
November 9th, 2018, 22:23
Thank you very much for the quick reply. One more question. I can drag rage to the PC but there is no use or Daily buttons Is there away to add that too?

Select preparation mode from the buttons at the bottom right af the actions tab. You can then set the uses per day etc in the box beside the effect.

BaronofNefas
November 13th, 2018, 18:25
Am I failing hardcore, or is there no longer an attachment? Thanks.

LordEntrails
November 13th, 2018, 19:16
Am I failing hardcore, or is there no longer an attachment? Thanks.
Welcome to the forums :

Make sure you are viewing the Full Site and not the mobile site and that your theme in the bottom left corner is set to FG Responsive.

BaronofNefas
November 13th, 2018, 22:28
Full site did the trick, thanks for the save.

dmccoy1693
January 31st, 2019, 07:15
How do you change the number of rages? I opened the character (thank you btw) and copied rage over to the character. It imported it as a spell so I changed it to Barbarian Feature, like you had it and it had the number of rages as 1. For the life of me, I could not figure out how to change the number of rages and finally exported the character went into the XML and changed it and imported it back in. There has to be a simpler way than that.

ffujita
January 31st, 2019, 07:31
From the top post from this thread: Rage – Note to adjust for number of rages per day (select preparation mode and edit the number per day) and also the damage for level.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2019, 09:01
You will find preparation mode by clicking through the options bottom left of the actions tab.

Larus
May 16th, 2019, 20:41
Thanks a lot, this is awesome!
W quick question, if a barbarian users rage, he gets its effect for 1 min. Is it calculated automatically per rounds in combat, or some other way? What happens if he activates it outside of combat?
Sorry, don't have access to pc for another few days, one managed to add character and figured how to add number of uses, androgen had to leave:)

Zacchaeus
May 16th, 2019, 20:48
Thanks a lot, this is awesome!
W quick question, if a barbarian users rage, he gets its effect for 1 min. Is it calculated automatically per rounds in combat, or some other way? What happens if he activates it outside of combat?
Sorry, don't have access to pc for another few days, one managed to add character and figured how to add number of uses, androgen had to leave:)

The clock only ticks if the Barbarian is on the Combat Tracker and the effect has been applied and the Combat Tracker is active - in other words it will only work in combat or if the DM is using the CT out of combat for some reason to check through the rounds. In any other case you'd need to work it out manually.

Magyar5
August 6th, 2019, 21:52
Why can't I download the attachment at the beginning of this thread? Please help!

Trenloe
August 6th, 2019, 21:54
Why can't I download the attachment at the beginning of this thread? Please help!
Make sure you're on the full site view, not the mobile site view.

Magyar5
August 6th, 2019, 21:59
Slaps forehead! Thank you. Worked like a charm.

Iggi
April 4th, 2020, 19:44
Is it possible to get Ancestral Guardians to automate?

Zacchaeus
April 4th, 2020, 20:00
Is it possible to get Ancestral Guardians to automate?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41546-Effects-for-Xanathar-Archetypes

Iggi
April 7th, 2020, 00:29
Ah, thanks. Looks like this is one that while doable is probably less work to track outside the automation.

Demora
November 6th, 2020, 00:14
I am unsure of how to import these effects. :C

tenaveran
November 6th, 2020, 00:49
I am unsure of how to import these effects. :C

Hi Demora!

So the effects are on a sample barbarian character sheet. You just import the file as a character into a campaign, and then you can drag the effects from the Actions tab of that character sheet and drop them onto any other character so that you can use them. Hope this helps!

Aridhro
April 2nd, 2021, 16:27
I think I found a less cumbersome solution for Totemic Attunement (Bear):
I used the same effect for the Compelled Duel spell.

Zacchaeus
April 2nd, 2021, 17:45
I think I found a less cumbersome solution for Totemic Attunement (Bear):
I used the same effect for the Compelled Duel spell.

I'm assuming that what you have there is from someone else's module or extension.

Aridhro
April 2nd, 2021, 22:09
No, genuinely my own creations. If anyone else had this solutiona also that must be a coincident. It is the way I set up my modules. I'm working on class feaures. But out of respect for what you did, I wanted to share my idea.

Zacchaeus
April 3rd, 2021, 09:10
No, genuinely my own creations. If anyone else had this solutiona also that must be a coincident. It is the way I set up my modules. I'm working on class feaures. But out of respect for what you did, I wanted to share my idea.

Sorry, I saw the symbols on the effect line and just assumed that it was from some extension or module.

Aridhro
April 3rd, 2021, 14:36
No problem. You can find the meaning of these symbols in my 5e Autmatic Effects thread. Link in my signature.
Regards

xsection
March 1st, 2022, 20:33
Hi. I'm trying to find the XML file to go with this and the other character complete character package series. Is there anywhere I can download them still (preferably all a once)? This looks an incredibly useful resource and I'd be grateful for any help.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2022, 20:59
Hi. I'm trying to find the XML file to go with this and the other character complete character package series. Is there anywhere I can download them still (preferably all a once)? This looks an incredibly useful resource and I'd be grateful for any help.
Welcome :)

The files for the barbarian is attached to post #1. If you are not seeing it, make sure you are viewing the full site (mobile will not show attachments) and tat your forum theme (found in the bottom left corner of the full site) is set to FGRespnsive.

You will need to get each 'Complete' character sheet from the respective thread, their is no consolidation of them that I am aware of.

scottmoore1776
March 11th, 2022, 22:12
Where do I save the XML in the folder structure? How do I do an import?

Thanks,
[email protected]

LordEntrails
March 11th, 2022, 23:01
Where do I save the XML in the folder structure? How do I do an import?

Thanks,
[email protected]

Save the xml file to any location on your computer as desired. Downloads folder works just fine. Then when you have joined/started the desired 5E campaign, open up the character selection window, from there select the Import Character icon (blue up arrow, bottom), Import Character File icon (blue up arrow), browse to and select file and import

hrscarvalho
October 1st, 2022, 14:57
Hi Guys!

There is some package with the Wild Magic Barbarian?

I need something for this:

Wild Surge
TCE p25
[–]
3rd-level Path of Wild Magic feature

The magical energy roiling inside you sometimes erupts from you. When you enter your rage, roll on the Wild Magic table to determine the magical effect produced.

If the effect requires a saving throw, the DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.

Zacchaeus
October 1st, 2022, 15:15
Something like the attached should do. There's no effects you can do for rolls 2 and 7 so you'd just have to theatre of the mind those.

Hussar
April 9th, 2024, 06:15

The files for the barbarian is attached to post #1. If you are not seeing it, make sure you are viewing the full site (mobile will not show attachments) and tat your forum theme (found in the bottom left corner of the full site) is set to FGRespnsive.

You will need to get each 'Complete' character sheet from the respective thread, their is no consolidation of them that I am aware of.

I have done this, but, still do not see any dowloadable file in the OP.

damned
April 9th, 2024, 06:29
It appears that the file/link is no longer on the first post.
It is on the post immediately above yours.

Zacchaeus
April 9th, 2024, 09:12
Indeed, it looks like all of the links for all of these packages are no longer showing and I don't know why that is. I didn't remove them and there's no indication of who did or why they disappeared. And I don't appear to have copies of the original files any more unfortunately.

LordEntrails
April 9th, 2024, 16:25
It appears the attachments on all of the Complete series are gone. But I did check that is not all attachments on the forums. The links to the Dropbox locations for the Xanathar versions are still good; Effects for Xanathar Archetypes (fantasygrounds.com) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41546-Effects-for-Xanathar-Archetypes)
Perhaps the regular complete characters are there?

I thought I had a copy of all of them, but can't find those either.

Zacchaeus
April 9th, 2024, 17:53
It appears the attachments on all of the Complete series are gone. But I did check that is not all attachments on the forums. The links to the Dropbox locations for the Xanathar versions are still good; Effects for Xanathar Archetypes (fantasygrounds.com) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41546-Effects-for-Xanathar-Archetypes)
Perhaps the regular complete characters are there?

I thought I had a copy of all of them, but can't find those either.

No, I didn't put the originals in Dropbox since I didn't use it at that time; and the originals are probably on a long gone hard drive from two computers ago.