PDA

View Full Version : Internet provider refuses to open port 1802...

Karrth
December 17th, 2015, 14:17
Hey all.

I have been trying for the past 6 months or so to get my isp to open the port needed for FG on my router but they seem to be unable to do so without me paying them an additional fee each month for a static IP. From what I could get out of the customer service was that they group several users up on a small network and give that group a common IP and for that reason I need to pay to get a static IP so that they don't open up the port for all the others on the network...

So before I cough up the cash I was wondering if there was anyway of, well doing anything about this?

Karrth
December 17th, 2015, 14:21
I should elaborate: What I mean is, is there a way of changing the port FG uses? pr some other smart solution?

Mellock
December 17th, 2015, 15:00
Yes, you can start Fantasy Grounds with the -p option.

I did it in the past by making a shorcut to my desktop, and going to its properties (right-click -> properties). Then in the target text box, it should say something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe"
Just add -p852 to it (outside of the quotes, I think) and start FG with that shortcut. It will now listen on port 852.

You can also just do this by starting FG from the command line (start button -> run -> cmd) and typing -p123 after the .exe path on your sytem. Small niggle: don't put a space between -p and the port number.

Your players should then also make either a shortcut with the port number attached to the target location, and they will connect to that port.

This is, assuming, that there IS a range of ports open to you otherwise. We used it mostly when the DM was getting his internet trough a mobile phone, and had most ports blocked.

Correct me if I'm wrong :p

bawsr
December 17th, 2015, 15:02
I haven't tried it but from a theoretical point if you and your players use something like Evolve, it should bypass your router firewalls and allow you to setup a direct connection between you and your players. You probably couldn't use the four word connection id but you would have a new ip address to all you to connect. If you get stuck and can't get it to work let me know. This should be quick but I wouldn't mind helping.

midas
December 17th, 2015, 16:00
It sounds like you're going to need to use a VPN solution like Hamachi.

Changing the port won't resolve your problem. What your ISP means by "grouping up users" is that they're taking one of their public IP addresses and putting several users behind it via NAT. This is why they're telling you you'd need a static IP--it doesn't matter which port you need, just the fact that you need to be connectable on the internet means they'd have to forward that port to whatever non-public IP they're giving you, which they're unwilling (or depending on their configuration, unable) to do. Whether it's 1802 or 50001 wouldn't matter.

If you use something like Hamachi then you make a connection to the Hamachi network, and your players connect to Hamachi, and then they connect to your Hamachi IP address through the VPN tunnel.

Trenloe
December 17th, 2015, 16:12
You'll need to use a VPN solution. Hamachi is free, but needs everyone to install and use it - info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20309-GM-Connection-Issues-Tried-Everything-Try-Hamachi In post #2 of that thread there is a link to where I discuss other VPN solutions that usually don't require the players to do anything - mostly paid with a monthly/yearly subscription (you'll need this for reliability and bandwidth).

bawsr
December 17th, 2015, 16:22
I have had luck with Evolve with a bunch of games but now seeing that others are suggesting the same, this should be a fairly clean solution. The only issue is that your players will have to load on their side also. (For Evolve at least, and I would assume Hamachi)

LordEntrails
December 18th, 2015, 04:45
I've used Trenloe's directions for Hamachi in the past (and still do on occasion). It works great for us when I'm DM'ing from a hotel that has a network that otherwise prevents us from connecting. Though if this is a regular thing for you, you might consider one of the pay solutions the others mention.