PDA

View Full Version : Extension to change GM portrait

Xorn
December 14th, 2015, 00:17
I know NOTHING about extensions. I looked at an extension that someone made to change the GM portrait in Dec 2014, and it's not set up to work with the 5E ruleset. Could someone either change that one to work with 5E, or tell me in really simple language what I need to change? I'd like to get my cartoon-DM portrait working again. I know how to insert the portrait into the extension, but I don't know what to change so it is available for 5E.

I'm assuming that making an extension to just use a different GM portrait is easy to set up, of course.

Nickademus
December 14th, 2015, 01:16
Should be. I'm sure someone in the 5e community can help you. But if no one has the time, I'll dig out the 5e ruleset and whip you something up.

damned
December 14th, 2015, 04:31
here ya go... swap out the portrait in the graphics/portrait folder retaining the filename gm-icon.png

The second one has a fun old school image for you old grognards!

And the third should be something for those who enjoy a little Lovecraftian flavour...

Zacchaeus
December 14th, 2015, 10:53
I moved this to the 5e forum in case anyone else was interested in this.

Kudos to damned for sorting it out and here's the link to the original post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17239-Change-GM-Icon-on-Chat-Log)

Skellan
December 14th, 2015, 12:30
Thank you Damned

Targas
December 14th, 2015, 18:37
Very nice - I like the icon stating DM instead of GM. Thank you Damned.

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 15:49
Very nice - I like the icon stating DM instead of GM. Thank you Damned.

Just making sure I understood this. Did you simply update the portrait graphic itself to say DM or did you change the label as it displays next to your portrait?

Can the label be customized to say DM? That would be ideal for me while playing any D&D ruleset.

Xorn
December 15th, 2015, 15:56
Holy cow, thanks Damned! Just in time for the Weekly One-Shots stream tonight!

https://puu.sh/lWwoG/78a49fe012.jpg

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 15:59

That is pretty cool. I can hear the voice of the original narrator of that line! :) (Although grammar Nazi says "you" should be "your" ;))

Skellan
December 15th, 2015, 15:59

That's fantastic!

Skellan
December 15th, 2015, 16:00
Did you simply update the portrait graphic itself .

Yes, I think its just the graphic

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2015, 16:31
Just making sure I understood this. Did you simply update the portrait graphic itself to say DM or did you change the label as it displays next to your portrait?

Can the label be customized to say DM? That would be ideal for me while playing any D&D ruleset.

You need to create a new graphic to whatever you want; as long as you then call it gm-icon.png and replace the existing one it will show up.

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 16:35
You need to create a new graphic to whatever you want; as long as you then call it gm-icon.png and replace the existing one it will show up.

I got that part. In fact, I've already created my own portrait:

I'm wondering about the text label that appears to the right of the portrait, as noted by the arrow in the above image.

Xorn
December 15th, 2015, 16:35
Quick note: My original icon was 80x80, I had to drop it to 50x50 till it looked more inline with the player portraits. I'm not sure what their exact size is, but 80x80 was way too big.

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 16:37
Quick note: My original icon was 80x80, I had to drop it to 50x50 till it looked more inline with the player portraits. I'm not sure what their exact size is, but 80x80 was way too big.

I thought it was safest to keep the size of the one damned included (30x30). It seems to fit well with the textual content and the label. However, I do like your slightly larger portrait. Looks slick.

Trenloe
December 15th, 2015, 16:53
I got that part. In fact, I've already created my own portrait:

I'm wondering about the text label that appears to the right of the portrait, as noted by the arrow in the above image.
Change the default GMID speaking identity using the /gmid chat command: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Chat_Window#Speaking_Identities

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 16:57
Change the default GMID speaking identity using the /gmid chat command: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Chat_Window#Speaking_Identities

Outstanding! It works as advertised. Thanks.

Xorn
December 15th, 2015, 17:10
https://puu.sh/lWwZD/8cb5652164.jpg

This is the 50x50 compared to a player portrait.

Trenloe
December 15th, 2015, 17:38
The player chat portraits are 40x40.

Danimal66
December 15th, 2015, 19:48

So you need the extension and then need to replace the file? Or is the extension not needed. The icon you have is what I used to use in Roll20 and I would love to get it in FG

Griogre
December 15th, 2015, 19:51
You don't have to use an extension but that means your version of the 5E ruleset will stop getting updates or the next update will wipe out the change. That's the benefit of using an extension.

Xorn
December 15th, 2015, 19:55
Grab the extension. Change the EXT to ZIP and open it up (or 7Zip can just open it as EXT). Navigate to the folder that has "gm-icon.png" in it and replace that file with your portrait. If you want it to be the same size as player portraits, make it 40x40 (thank Trenloe).

Load the extension when you open the campaign and you're all set

12225 there's the 80x80 version of my cartoon DM avatar

Danimal66
December 15th, 2015, 19:59
Thanks guys as long as were on the subject my players want to use custom portraits for their PC's instead of the ones I have chosen for them. For some reason they don't have all the D&D race options I have. Is there a tutorial on using custom portraits anywhere?

Griogre
December 15th, 2015, 20:18
PC Portraits are one of the few things the comes from the player's computer. They can add any image they want to their local computer and use it though the base portrait sizes are 63x63 and anything used will be scaled to that. To locate the portrait folder have then start FG and on the launcher click the folder icon above the version number. They should see a portraits folder. Just have them drop whatever image they want into this folder and then select the image inside of FG as normal.

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 20:30
PC Portraits are one of the few things the comes from the player's computer. They can add any image they want to their local computer and use it though the base portrait sizes are 63x63 and anything used will be scaled to that. To locate the portrait folder have then start FG and on the launcher click the folder icon above the version number. They should see a portraits folder. Just have them drop whatever image they want into this folder and then select the image inside of FG as normal.

Interesting. So, portraits are 63x63 as a base. In the chat window they get scaled down to 40x40 but at the top where the player's portraits are displayed it gets scaled up to 72x72 (at least that's what I am showing.) Is this correct? Why not just have 72x72 as the base and always scale down?

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2015, 20:51
As far as I was aware portrait token size has been 100 since release 3.1.4 unless I am mistaking what portrait token size means. Which I probably am :)

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 21:43
As far as I was aware portrait token size has been 100 since release 3.1.4 unless I am mistaking what portrait token size means. Which I probably am :)

I'm just looking at the standard PNG files that appear in my \portraits folder. They all seem to be 63x63 pixels in size. I can't say what they are within packages.

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2015, 21:52
I'm just looking at the standard PNG files that appear in my \portraits folder. They all seem to be 63x63 pixels in size. I can't say what they are within packages.

I was assuming (dangerous I know) that the size was their on screen dimensions - not the size in the portraits or any other folder. But as I say graphics are a bit of a mystery to me so I'm not at all sure.

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 21:55
I was assuming (dangerous I know) that the size was their on screen dimensions - not the size in the portraits or any other folder. But as I say graphics are a bit of a mystery to me so I'm not at all sure.

LOL. Even the on screen dimensions can be misleading if your scaleui setting is altered.

Zacchaeus
December 15th, 2015, 22:02
LOL. Even the on screen dimensions can be misleading if your scaleui setting is altered.

Maybe then what it means is that irrespective of the size of the .png file the portrait (and the icon in chat) will automatically scale to 100x100 (or 40x40 for chat). It seems that whatever size you use FG will scale it so that it fits whatever scale it has been set to scale to.

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 22:07
Maybe then what it means is that irrespective of the size of the .png file the portrait (and the icon in chat) will automatically scale to 100x100 (or 40x40 for chat). It seems that whatever size you use FG will scale it so that it fits whatever scale it has been set to scale to.

Yes indeed. That is exactly what Fantasy Grounds will do. However, in my experience working with raster graphics (I write software applications), it is always optimal to take a larger image and scale it down rather than up, otherwise you get a pixelated or fuzzy look. The scale factor is not extreme as it is so it probably isn't a big deal. Nevertheless, it piqued my curiosity as to why standard portrait images were smaller than they appear in the software.

Moon Wizard
December 15th, 2015, 23:18
It's always been a trade-off between memory usage (since FG loads everything into memory) vs. resolution. There are some older design decisions before my time which I am not familiar with reasons (63x63, 70x70, 72x72). We recently upped the number for portrait tokens to 100x100 to be more consistent.

We're looking at upping resolution all around once we move to a new platform where we can have load on demand graphics.

Cheers,
JPG

TMO
December 15th, 2015, 23:22
It's always been a trade-off between memory usage (since FG loads everything into memory) vs. resolution. There are some older design decisions before my time which I am not familiar with reasons (63x63, 70x70, 72x72). We recently upped the number for portrait tokens to 100x100 to be more consistent.

We're looking at upping resolution all around once we move to a new platform where we can have load on demand graphics.

Cheers,
JPG

Yep...been down that path myself. I suppose this is posted somewhere, but might I ask what this "new platform" is?

Moon Wizard
December 15th, 2015, 23:27
We are in the process of moving Fantasy Grounds to the Unity platform. It has gone in fits and starts, due to delays caused by good news in the form of the Wizards deal coming through and the increase in users. Recently, we added a new person to the team (Carl) who is working primarily on the Unity platform move.

We have a whole laundry list of features that we can implement once we get onto Unity, since it gets rid of some very old code that bottlenecked our development (and probably adds a few gotchas). Our first goal is to get it up and running, and to maintain backward compatibility. We'll get some improvements right out of the gate, though many of them will be under the hood like the graphics improvements.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
December 15th, 2015, 23:37
Full details:

The portrait .PNG file uploaded by the player will be stored in the campaign \portraits directory on the GM side as a FG id-XXXXX referenced file without the file extension. You can get back to the original image file by copying the file and adding a .png extension. This file is in the base resolution that the player uploaded.

Then, FG uses a number of portrait masks within the FG ruleset to resize the player portrait for use. In CoreRPG based rulesets these files are found in the \graphics\portraits directory:

portrait_mask.png (63x63) is used to make the portrait image that is shown in the top left of the desktop. This is combined with portrait.png (72x72) to make the actual graphics image used (with a border, etc).
portrait_chat_mask.png (36x36) is used to make the portrait that will be shown in the chat window. This is combined with portrait_chat.png (40x40) to make the complete graphic used.
portrait_token_mask.png (90x90) is used to make a token based off the original portrait file. This is combined with portrait_token.png (100x100) to make the complete token graphic used.
portrait_mini_mask.png (18x18) is used to make a the mini portrait that is used in object sharing (images and story) to show that the object has been shared (the small portrait appears in the bottom left of the main view of the object). This is combined with portrait_mini.png (22x22) to make the complete mini portrait graphic used.
portrait_target_mask.png (26x26) is used to make a small portrait that is used in the chat window when a GM drags a dice result number to the player portrait on the desktop. This is combined with portrait_target.png (36x32) to make the complete target portrait graphic used (including an arrow graphic) that will be displayed in the chat window. This is really used for purely CoreRPG games, where the dice rolls don't have a specific action type (attack, damage, save, etc. - which have their own graphic).

Griogre
December 16th, 2015, 00:49
LOL what Trenloe said. But basically the 63x63 is actuals graphic size without border. Obviously you get better quality if FG doesn't have to scale the image. Personally I usually use 64x64 but I use 32 pixel token scale so it's convenient for me - and powers of 2 out of sheer habit.

Full Bleed
December 16th, 2015, 04:51
Another option:

Zacchaeus
December 16th, 2015, 11:30
Trenloe; just awesome as always :)

damned
December 16th, 2015, 14:01
probably a question for Trenloe...
can I set the value of a string eg <string name="graphics/portraits/gmicon_gary">gm-gary.png</string> or of an icon eg icon name="portrait_gm_token" file="graphics/portraits/gm-gary.png" /> to a value from the database?

Trenloe
December 16th, 2015, 17:09
probably a question for Trenloe...
can I set the value of a string eg <string name="graphics/portraits/gmicon_gary">gm-gary.png</string> or of an icon eg icon name="portrait_gm_token" file="graphics/portraits/gm-gary.png" /> to a value from the database?
Nope. You can't dynamically assign an icon resource to a file. You can, depending on the FG control, have a bunch of pre-defined icon resources and change those using setIcon: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/genericcontrol.xcp#setIcon However, the icon in a chat message is not a control defined in the ruleset, it's built in to the message data structure: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/Comm.xcp

Only tokens can have images directly assigned to them. More info in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21766-Assigning-a-tokencontrol-from-a-file

So, the only way I know of allowing dynamic changes of the GM chat icon would be to write an extension that changes the places where msg.icon is set to the "portrait_gm_token" icon resource and use a different icon resource.

damned
December 17th, 2015, 05:43
Thank you Trenloe. Im sure I have asked you that before and been told that before!
One more follow up if I may.
Can I set the value of one of these strings to a database entry? Could have a string cycler in Options and then you would have to reboot to get the new settings...?

damned
December 17th, 2015, 05:44
I thought I might post this version up for some of you old timers.... JohnD - are you watching? :)

Trenloe
December 17th, 2015, 06:34
Can I set the value of one of these strings to a database entry?
The string used for msg.icon has to be a valid predefined icon resource.

You can have a string cycler that cycles around predefined icon resources fron the ruleset and extension.

JohnD
December 17th, 2015, 08:28
I thought I might post this version up for some of you old timers.... JohnD - are you watching? :)

Ha! Very cool!

damned
December 17th, 2015, 11:43
The string used for msg.icon has to be a valid predefined icon resource.

You can have a string cycler that cycles around predefined icon resources fron the ruleset and extension.

Your first response of "Nope" would have saved me a lot of time!
I was working on this till late last night - I had 6 icons and built a cycler in options but I could resolve one or more of these situations -

1. how/where to define the full path and filename for the icon? i think defining it as a string?
2. how/where to set the value of "portrait_gm_token"
i can get it from OptionsManager local sGMIcon = OptionsManager.getOption("gmicon");
or i can get it from the database
<options>
<public />
<gmicon type="string">graphics/portraits/gm-gary.png</gmicon>
</options>

Trenloe
December 17th, 2015, 15:54
See post 40 as well as my response above. A "valid predefined icon resource" is defined in the ruleset or extension (as mentioned above) using the <icon> tag: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/icon.xcp

It is the name of these icon resources that you have to use for msg.icon (as mentioned I post #40). But you'd need to change the ruleset in the places where msg.icon is set (off the top of my head, three different CoreRPG files).

You can have a string cycler that cycles around he different, valid, icon resource names, and the use that icon resource name.

You were on the right track, but you weren't looking at "valid icon resources".

So:
1) set the path to the graphics file in the static <icon> definition in the ruleset or extension. One for each icon you want to use. They will have unique <icon> names.
2) setup your string cycler to go through these <icon> names.
3) find in files for when portrait_gm_token is used as the icon name in the message data structure in the CoreRPG ruleset and replace that with the icon name from your string handler.

You could store the icon resource name in the database if you wanted, but you may as well use a string cycler in the options screen and access the value from OptionsManager.

Trenloe
December 17th, 2015, 16:18
The process is very similar to adding a custom decal: https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Mask_Decal_Class.pdf Something you, Damian, should be very familiar with! ;)

You'll need to set the new campaign option (sounds like you've already done that), and then use the value of the icon resource name where "portrait_gm_token" is usually used to set the icon in the message data structure in the ruleset.

JohnD
December 18th, 2015, 00:51

I may just use that to pay tribute to the great man.

damned
December 18th, 2015, 03:54
The process is very similar to adding a custom decal: https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Mask_Decal_Class.pdf Something you, Damian, should be very familiar with! ;)

You'll need to set the new campaign option (sounds like you've already done that), and then use the value of the icon resource name where "portrait_gm_token" is usually used to set the icon in the message data structure in the ruleset.

No - Im on - it I had looked the locations that portrait_gm_token was being called.
Ill hopefully get time over the weekend to hash this thru.
Thank you very much Trenloe for the help.

demonsbane
December 18th, 2015, 16:14
Thank you damned for this extension!

pacio49
December 18th, 2015, 21:06
Great extension. I've switched out my GM icon for the same icon I use on my FG game's RPOL.net bboards. We'll see how long it takes the party members to notice and say something.

Thanks again for coding it up.

Willot
December 22nd, 2015, 02:58
I use to have Jack Black as my GM Avatar. Until I had to reinstall. Never put it back Maybe I should
...No we are but men...ROCK!!

Nylanfs
December 22nd, 2015, 04:18
I think the line is "And we said, "Nay. We are but men." Rock! (https://youtu.be/1uZ3YZsWkWI)

Willot
December 22nd, 2015, 08:33
I think the line is "And we said, "Nay. We are but men." Rock! (https://youtu.be/1uZ3YZsWkWI)

Right you are!

Jiminimonka
November 19th, 2016, 19:28
Great extension - thanks!

Atreides Ghola
March 1st, 2019, 00:13
Sorry to resurrect this thread - but I cannot for the life of me find where to put my gm-icon.png so that it shows up in the game. I just have the generic Icon that was originally included with the extension. Help? I've literally copied it to every folder that has graphics of some nature. I've not been able to find the actual icon that comes with the extension.

Zacchaeus
March 1st, 2019, 00:35
Have you properly downloaded the extension and the unzipped it? There is a graphic in it, and there’s not that many places to look.

Atreides Ghola
March 1st, 2019, 00:37
Yeah, just found it a moment ago. Was looking in the Fantasy Grounds App Data folder, where it's not. :)

Wise Orc Tavern
June 13th, 2020, 19:49
Ok, I screwed things up big.

Right now I am more worried to have things working again than in trying to figure out how to change the icon.

I transformed my 5E.pak into a rar so I could open it, but now I can't make my .rar into a .pak.

Help please

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2020, 19:53
Ok, I screwed things up big.

Right now I am more worried to have things working again than in trying to figure out how to change the icon.

I transformed my 5E.pak into a rar so I could open it, but now I can't make my .rar into a .pak.

Help please

Delete it and then update FG and it will re-download it.

Wise Orc Tavern
June 13th, 2020, 20:00
Ok, thanks a lot Zacchaeus.

Now to the question that makes me feel like an idiot. How do I actually change the icon?

I cant understand the instructions here for some reason.

Could you or anyone else give me a even more step by step guide?

I installed the extension, and now I have the new GM Icon that comes with it. I may be wrong because I can't find where it is, but reading this topic I would guess all I need to do is change the png file for that image, right? But I have no clue where to find it.

Sorry for the apparently dumb question, but I am trying to solve this for a week. Shame on me!

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2020, 20:16
1. Download the file
2. Rename it from GMIcon.ext to GMIcon.zip
3. Right click on the file and select unzip
4. Open the unzipped file then open the Graphics folder and then the portraits folder
5. Replace the gm-icon.png file to the one you want (you must keep the name gm-icon and should keep your image to a similar size and it must be a .png file)
6. Go back up to the first level of the extension (So you see one file extension.xml and the Graphics folder). Select both and then right click and select Send to.. and select compressed
7. After it is zipped back up rename it changing the .zip to .ext.
8. Place that file in your Fantasy Grounds data/extensions folder (Default is C:/users/username/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/extensions
9. Open FG and click on Load or Create New and in the list at the bottom window select 'Replace GM Token' and then start the campaign.

Wise Orc Tavern
June 13th, 2020, 20:20
Thanks a lot.....it worked.

Trizzt
June 13th, 2020, 21:05
Well, I followed the steps, but I can't change back from .zip to .ext

I am using winrar, should I change it? When I rename the extension it continues to be a winrar .zip file named .ext.

I don't know why this is happening.

Zacchaeus
June 13th, 2020, 21:07

I am using winrar, should I change it? When I rename the extension it continues to be a winrar .zip file named .ext.

Don't use winrar. FG only recognises .zip files and only Windows zip files. Also make sure that you have the windows option to show file extensions. If you have that set to hidden then you'll have a file name blah.ext.zip or something similar.

Khaiszer
September 14th, 2020, 02:55
Is there any way to do that if I am using a theme which already has its own icon, I can load this extension and choose the icon that I want?

Jiminimonka
September 14th, 2020, 07:30

Use 7zip. Free and better than WinRAR. Then when you zip it up renaming the file type from .zip to .ext will work fine.

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2020, 09:27
Is there any way to do that if I am using a theme which already has its own icon, I can load this extension and choose the icon that I want?

Yes, since all themes will have an icon for the DM.

Khaiszer
September 14th, 2020, 19:28
Yes, since all themes will have an icon for the DM.

Could you please help me with that? I can't figure out how to change it yet

Lady Archer
September 15th, 2020, 01:43
The last step does not work for me. Replace GM Token is not an option. Please help!

1. Download the file
4. Open the unzipped file then open the Graphics folder and then the portraits folder
5. Replace the gm-icon.png file to the one you want (you must keep the name gm-icon and should keep your image to a similar size and it must be a .png file)
6. Go back up to the first level of the extension (So you see one file extension.xml and the Graphics folder). Select both and then right click and select Send to.. and select compressed
8. Place that file in your Fantasy Grounds data/extensions folder (Default is C:/users/username/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/extensions
9. Open FG and click on Load or Create New and in the list at the bottom window select 'Replace GM Token' and then start the campaign.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2020, 02:31
Hi Lady Archer welcome to FG.

If the extension does not appear on the list then one or more of the previous steps have not been followed. Make sure you zip the files back up exactly as described and that you are not using a compressed file type that FG doesn’t recognise.

Lady Archer
September 16th, 2020, 02:31
Hi Zacchaeus!

Thank you for responding! I was able to follow the steps as described. However it appears my computer is still reading the file as a .zip even though it is named as .ext. See image below. Can you help me understand what I am doing wrong?

LordEntrails
September 16th, 2020, 02:52
Hi Zacchaeus!

Thank you for responding! I was able to follow the steps as described. However it appears my computer is still reading the file as a .zip even though it is named as .ext. See image below. Can you help me understand what I am doing wrong?

Turn on the display of filename extensions. Usually under View > Options.

Most likely your file is named "extension.ext.zip" and you need to remove the .zip from the name.

Zacchaeus
September 16th, 2020, 09:15
Hi Zacchaeus!

Yes, as LE says it looks like the file has a double file extension name. Open any folder and at the top click on View and then 'show file extensions'. Go back and rezip up your file and then remove the .zip and make it .ext.

Lady Archer
September 17th, 2020, 23:35
You were right Zacchaeus and Lord Entrails! The file was named .ext.zip. I greatly appreciate your help!

Nrrdy
September 18th, 2020, 05:04
How did i not see this before today?

pablomaz
September 18th, 2020, 21:12
You gotta be kidding me.lol
This will be fun...

TheFabulousIronChef
September 29th, 2020, 21:38
Use 7zip. Free and better than WinRAR. Then when you zip it up renaming the file type from .zip to .ext will work fine.

This step, oddly, is not working for me. I have changed an extension to put in a new background image (called desktop.png instead of the one that came with it), and now the theme will not even show up in FGU. It's like it doesn't exist. Maybe it's not really changing the extension in some way? I tried unzipping and then rezipping/renaming in both Mac and PC...neither seems to work.

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2020, 21:44
If you use 7zip you need to make sure that you don't use the default zip which creates a .7z filetype. Use the normal .zip when zipping with 7zip.

TheFabulousIronChef
September 29th, 2020, 21:46
So, for example, I went to change the new Dark Theme, which is "Theme_SWU_dark.ext." So I unzipped it, replaced "desktop.png" in the graphics/frames folder, zipped it back, and then renamed Theme_SWU_dark.zip to Theme_SWU_dark.ext. But now it doesn't even show up in the list of potential themes in my campaign list. Any ideas?

Trenloe
September 29th, 2020, 21:50
Any ideas?
Check all of the gotchas that've been mentioned above. Make sure you're using ZIP compression, make sure you ZIP from within the directory where extension.xml is, make sure you don't have hide file extensions enabled, etc...

TheFabulousIronChef
September 29th, 2020, 21:57
OK, I have been using the default zip from Mac/PC, let me see if downloading 7zip works. I've confirmed that there are no other extensions.

TheFabulousIronChef
September 29th, 2020, 22:01
OK, I have been using the default zip from Mac/PC, let me see if downloading 7zip works. I've confirmed that there are no other extensions.

Ah, never mind. I had accidentally zipped it into a second folder, it seems. So instead of the first level being desktop, graphics, extension.xml and graphics_fonts.xml, it was another folder. That was the problem.

gwhitneyy2k
October 2nd, 2020, 00:49
Does this work in FGU?

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2020, 00:57
Does this work in FGU?
Yes.

Wise Orc Tavern
November 26th, 2020, 22:31
I have a interesting issue here.

I had this working in my FGC and I just copied the extension to Unity. This should be enough, right? Well, it's not working. Since I feel I know how to do this, both from experience and by reading everything above, I tried to delete the extensions and start from scratch. Didn't work also.

Funny thing, I was just cycling through the different themes to see them all, and I activated the simple dark theme from FGC. A bunch of errors appeared in my log, but FGU started normally with the simple dark theme active. The Icon change works with the FGC theme in Unity, but when I go back and select a FGU theme like the Light/Dark Theme the custom Icon disappear again.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

damned
November 26th, 2020, 22:40
The theme is probably loading after this extension and replacing the replaced icon again.

Wise Orc Tavern
November 26th, 2020, 22:53
You are correct. Just tried without any theme and it worked. Curious that FGC themes doesn't provoke that, and FGU themes replace it.
Any way I can counter it?

Just wished I could select load order like game mods! :-)

Anyway, let me know if I can do something about it at some point.

Thank you damned.

kevininrussia
January 27th, 2021, 03:28
https://i.imgur.com/3XDwYKD.png

Dax Doomslayer
January 27th, 2021, 16:19

OMG - this is the best!!! LOL! Well played kevininrussia, well played!!

SmackDaddy
January 28th, 2021, 02:22

Absolutely love this and am going to surprise my group the next time we play!

Side question: Is there a recommended image size for images to convert to png files for gm icons?

damned
January 28th, 2021, 03:26
no more than 50x50

just dont forget the experience of the knitter behind those mittens.
"As an independent crafter, she found regulation and taxes to be too high of a hurdle to overcome. She closed her knitting shop after deciding it was no longer worth it to stay in business."

kevininrussia
January 28th, 2021, 05:56
I just think the image is funny. Sometimes its nice just to have a chuckle about something these days :-)

Olmac1
January 28th, 2021, 08:20
You are correct. Just tried without any theme and it worked. Curious that FGC themes doesn't provoke that, and FGU themes replace it.
Any way I can counter it?

Just wished I could select load order like game mods! :-)

Anyway, let me know if I can do something about it at some point.

Thank you damned.

Same thing is happening to me.

damned
January 28th, 2021, 08:57
Same thing is happening to me.

See this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51246-Load-order-of-extensions&p=455744&viewfull=1#post455744
and set a loadorder of 60 in the GMIcon extension

Ludd_G
January 28th, 2021, 18:07
See this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51246-Load-order-of-extensions&p=455744&viewfull=1#post455744
and set a loadorder of 60 in the GMIcon extension

Hi,

How exactly would I set a load order in the extension?

Cheers,

Simon

damned
January 28th, 2021, 21:30
In the extension.xml you replace:

<properties>
<name>Gary Keeper</name>
<version>1.0</version>
<author>DIE Hard Gaming</author>
<description>Gary Keeper</description>
</properties>

with

<properties>
<name>Gary Keeper</name>
<version>1.0</version>
<loadorder>60</loadorder>
</properties>

This is an example...

Olmac1
January 28th, 2021, 22:32
In the extension.xml you replace:

<properties>
<name>Gary Keeper</name>
<version>1.0</version>
</properties>

with

<properties>
<name>Gary Keeper</name>
<version>1.0</version>
<loadorder>60</loadorder>
</properties>

This is an example...

Perfect, that worked!

Thanks damned!

Ludd_G
January 28th, 2021, 22:59
Works brilliantly! Thank you!

merkvah
January 30th, 2021, 14:16
Does this work with Unity?

damned
January 30th, 2021, 14:41
Should do...

Zacchaeus
January 30th, 2021, 15:29
Does this work with Unity?

Yes, it does.

Ludd_G
January 30th, 2021, 15:30
I'm using it in Unity with no problem, but I had to insert the tweak Damned posted on the previous page to get it to work with all the official themes I've tested so far.

merkvah
February 3rd, 2021, 02:36
EDIT: Sorry, this question was already answered. =) You guys rock.

StephJ2Fan
February 21st, 2021, 04:52
Is this mod/ext updated to the changes of Feb 16th FGU?

Zacchaeus
February 21st, 2021, 08:23
Is this mod/ext updated to the changes of Feb 16th FGU?

Welcome to FG

The changes didn't affect this extension so it still works.

merkvah
March 14th, 2021, 00:34
I'm sorry... I'm really tech-stupid sometimes. I've been looking for the image to change my gm portrait (I'm using the 2nd extension) for maybe a month now...

can anyone help me find it? Or point and laugh at me, then show me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks. =(

Drath3n
July 24th, 2021, 23:29
Hello, been using this for sometime, just added the Fantasy Grounds Western Theme and when that is on this extension doesn't work :(

Zacchaeus
July 24th, 2021, 23:41
Probable because it overrides the extension I’d imagine. The theme is also an extension and extensions don’t always play nice with each other.

damned
July 25th, 2021, 04:39
Change the load order of this extension.

Drath3n
July 25th, 2021, 17:11
hmm, not sure how to do that.

LordEntrails
July 25th, 2021, 18:08
hmm, not sure how to do that.
Exit FG. Make a file copy of the extension. Rename the original so you keep a copy. Rename the copy from .mod to .zip. Unzip. Open the file extension.xml. Look for the tag called loadorder and change the value to something much higher or lower, like 1 or 100. Save it. Zip it back up, do not include the root folder, only the contents. Make sure the name matches the original. Restart FG.

Zacchaeus
July 25th, 2021, 18:40
This is a pretty simple extension - and the xml file doesn't have a loadorder at all.

merkvah
August 20th, 2021, 18:07
here ya go... swap out the portrait in the graphics/portrait folder retaining the filename gm-icon.png

i'm not as tech-savvy as I used to be... can you help me find this folder, plz?

Thanks. =)

LordEntrails
August 20th, 2021, 18:12
i'm not as tech-savvy as I used to be... can you help me find this folder, plz?

Thanks. =)
Rename the extension from .ext to .zip. Extract the extension. Folder is in there. If you chose to rezip it (not required for FG to use it) then make sure you do not zip the containing folder, only the actual contents.

merkvah
August 20th, 2021, 18:23
Rename the extension from .ext to .zip. Extract the extension. Folder is in there. If you chose to rezip it (not required for FG to use it) then make sure you do not zip the containing folder, only the actual contents.

Thank you very much!!

fogcutter
August 24th, 2021, 20:38
Just loaded this little gem....it may seem trivial but it adds a little flavor to my campaign. Thanks to the author and the effort! :D

Monodaemon
September 10th, 2022, 00:38
Good day. I hesitate to post this question as it appears this subject has been thoroughly detailed, but I have been at it for some time and I am still unable to make sense of it. I understand the directions to change the GM portrait are listed below. I am running Fantasy Grounds Unity. I can see the extension folder and the portraits folder but no matter what I do, I cannot find the gm-icon.png file. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

1. Download the file

Zacchaeus
September 10th, 2022, 00:59
After unzipping you should see the files in the following image. The GM icon is inside the portraits folder. If you aren't seeing this make sure you downloaded the correct file and that you can see file extensions (the file should be GMIcon.ext) if you don't see the .ext click on the view button at the top of the window and check show file extensions. Change only the .ext to .zip and then unzip. If this is still not the issue we'll need to see some screenshots of what you are seeing inside the file you downloaded and unzipped.

Monodaemon
September 10th, 2022, 01:45
Do I need to use something specific to open the Portraits PPK?54306

damned
September 10th, 2022, 04:06
it is also a zip file

LordEntrails
September 10th, 2022, 05:10
Also remember, if you rezip the files, do not zip the containing foder, only the contents inside.

Zacchaeus
September 10th, 2022, 09:09
Do I need to use something specific to open the Portraits PPK?54306

As mentioned by damned above this is also a zip file so change the .ppk to .zip and unzip it. However you do not need to do anything with any of the portraits packs unless you want to use one of the portraits for the GM Icon. It's assumed that you are creating your own image to replace the GMIcon graphic rather than using one of the supplied portraits.

twistedtechmike
March 4th, 2023, 16:32
Also remember, if you rezip the files, do not zip the containing foder, only the contents inside.

You're a rock star! This was killing me!