PDA

View Full Version : I can't seem to join a game. Can't connect to host.

tysonxy
December 14th, 2015, 07:56
So I am trying to Have 2 instances of FG running at the same time on the same PC with the intent of putting the players map on a second monitor for them to see at our game table, while I run the game on the main monitor. The problem is I cannot seem to get this to work. I just keep getting a "Could not connect to the host. Check the address and try again." error.

It doesn't matter if I try to log in using Internal, External or Alias connections. It won't connect. I have also tried logging in from my other Mac. And that wont work either. The connection test is successful however.

I am doing this on a Mac running Win10 in bootcamp.

I hope someone can help. :(

JohnD
December 14th, 2015, 08:10
Have you tried connecting to "localhost"?

Mask_of_winter
December 14th, 2015, 08:11
Try with a username different than the host and try "localhost" (w/out quote marks) as the address/alias.

tysonxy
December 14th, 2015, 08:12
Have you tried connecting to "localhost"?

No I haven't. I didn't realize that was an option......:confused:

tysonxy
December 14th, 2015, 08:27
Well, That seemed to work!!! Fantastic!!

Now it's just a matter of trying to get my MacBook connected too. It still won't connect. It's on the same network, but I wouldn't imagine that should be an issue. I need to go to bed now. Hopefully I can figure this out tomorrow.

Thanks for the help with the localhost.

damned
December 14th, 2015, 08:36
Another computer on the same network will need to use the Internal IP Address of the FG computer to connect to. If it cannot connect then check your windows firewall - as an initial test check that your current (home) network is defined as a Home Network (it will have lower security settings for other LAN devices) and retry - then if you still cant connect turn Off the Windows Firewall for Home networks and retest. If that works turn the firewall on and create a rule to allow incoming TCP 1802 traffic from any source address.

tysonxy
December 14th, 2015, 08:42
Another computer on the same network will need to use the Internal IP Address of the FG computer to connect to. If it cannot connect then check your windows firewall - as an initial test check that your current (home) network is defined as a Home Network (it will have lower security settings for other LAN devices) and retry - then if you still cant connect turn Off the Windows Firewall for Home networks and retest. If that works turn the firewall on and create a rule to allow incoming TCP 1802 traffic from any source address.

I've done all that already. That is why it's getting so frustrating, sigh.

My first step was to open 1802 on my router.
My second step was turning off the Windows firewall.
I'm pretty sure it's already setup as a Home Network(I'll double check that in the morning, as my MacBooks battery is dead and I'm out of bootcamp on my iMac. And I need to go to bed). ;)

Any other ideas? :confused:

dulux-oz
December 14th, 2015, 09:01
Doesn't the system "spit the dummy" if you try to connect to another computer and both computers have the same license key?

BTW, I cover "localhost" in my Tutorial Video series (available from the FG Wiki and/or from the links in my sig, below)

Cheers