PDA

View Full Version : WOTC adventure module editing

maloy8920
December 13th, 2015, 15:48
Hi all.
I've recently purchased the official Hoard of the Dragon Queen WOTC adventure module for fantasy grounds. I'm still relatively new to fantasy grounds and i dont fully understand how modules/libraries and linking them into campaigns fully works. So I made a new campaign where I've created the player characters and then from there I've opened the Monster Manual, Player Handbook, Dungeon master guide, and hoard of the dragon queen. What I'm looking to do is go through hoard and rework the encounters as I see fit for my group; mainly revising encounter difficulty. Ive messed around with it a little and i see that making changes to a module only makes those changes for the campaign your in, since when i opened the module in a different campaign it was default still. This got me curious about how the adventure modules work.
1.Is it possible to edit the actual WOTC adventure module so the changes occur in every new campaign I link it to? If it were an adventure module I had created I could just load into it as a campaign and re export it but the WOTC adventure modules aren't listed when loading a campaign.
2.If I make changes to the WOTC module from my campaign, is it possible to restore the module to default? I've tried closing the module and reopening it but it still has my changes saved.

Zacchaeus
December 13th, 2015, 16:04
Greetings and welcome to the forums and to Fantasy Grounds. The answer you seek are as follows.

1. No you cannot directly alter the official WotC modules.
2. You can alter the module in a campaign just like you have found. This doesn't alter the original module in any way but the changes you make stay with your campaign. So if you change an encounter then that encounter will be visible in the campaign but it won't change the WotC module. What you can do is export your changes by typing \export into chat and filling out the dialog that pops up. This will create a module which you can then open up in another campaign. However as you have discovered only the changes you make will export; again the original WotC module cannot be exported. However it can be opened in another campaign.
3 If you create a campaign of your own, independent of any modules, you can export all of that out into a module which you can then open in any campaign that you want.
4. Since you can't alter the WotC modules there isn't a need to revert any changes. You can revert changes within a campaign. When you alter something in a campaign you'll notice that the little icon beside whatever you have altered (story entry, NPC, item etc) will have a little book with a pen on it. This indicates that the story, NPC etc has been messed with. To revert the changes right click on the entry and select revert changes.

Does this answer your questions? If not feel free to post some more.

maloy8920
December 13th, 2015, 16:27
Thanks for the super fast reply! Your answers pretty much cover what i needed to know.

Trenloe
December 16th, 2015, 04:36
You can also revert all changes on a module at once by right-clicking on the module entry in the module activation screen and selecting revert changes there.