PDA

View Full Version : Newbie LFG D&D 5E or Star Wars EotE - USA Eastern times and no mic available.

MoonlitDNC
December 13th, 2015, 04:56
I think I posted something a while back and didn't get any hits. I'm desperately trying to find somewhere I can give D&D 5e or Edge of the Empire a try as a new & inexperienced player (I'm GM'd EotE for my family). Tabletop RPGs have always been like a holy grail of gaming to me, yet I always find myself feeling like the homeless child staring in at the happy family's thanksgiving dinner when it comes to this stuff - I just cant ever find the right people at the right time.

I currently dont have any mic equipment, my schedule is rather flexible so long as it generally aligns with USA Eastern timezone stuff, and I just really want to find some way of getting in, learning, and having fun.

JohnD
December 13th, 2015, 05:01
The only 5E game I know of that is chat based is run by Gunnar Greybeard... might want to keep an eye opened for this discussion thread.

Of course, there may be other chat based 5E games, perhaps someone will post if they know of any.

GunnarGreybeard
December 13th, 2015, 08:09
MoonlitDNC, sorry my game is full atm. I have 6 regular players which is about all I can handle for a chat based game without it starting to get really slow. I think there may be another or 2 out there, just not sure who. Doubt they are listed in the calendar, might have to search the forums but if I hear something I'll pass it along.

Hermundure
December 13th, 2015, 09:26
The easiest solution on this one might be to order some mic, there are quite inexpensive ones with acceptable quality, this will open up your grouping possibilities a lot.

Or you jump into cold waters. and try to gather some text based people which you can dm, as I read you got a bit of experience under your belt with your family so this might be a nice foundation to start building on.
Game mechanic wise you can log on a player client of fantasy grounds via "localhost" to connect to your DM host so you can switch back and forth and just practice the mechanics first as if players would be there ;-)

damned
December 13th, 2015, 10:38
Waylorn is starting a game where he will be doing text chat only but players will use voice. He may be open to a text chat player.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27173-Dragonlance

MoonlitDNC
December 13th, 2015, 19:33
Thanks, that's definitely a good bit of info to start with. Definitely some pointers to keep under consideration.

Trenloe
December 20th, 2015, 02:42
Text only D&D 3.5E game looking for interest here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27256-Al-Qadim-DnD-3-5-Interest It's not the two systems you're looking for, but text only games are rare, so might be worth reaching out to the GM.

MoonlitDNC
December 20th, 2015, 23:07
"can be very strict"

I'll have to read up and think about that. Might be a bit much to handle.