PDA

View Full Version : Single click vs Double click

ffujita
December 12th, 2015, 03:59
When you click on a character sheet die roll, for instance Initiative, you need to double click for it to roll. But if you drag that down to one of the function key slots, then it is a single click.

As a GM, I usually just ignore the first roll, and accept the second one if it's an attack or initiative. But with damage, I need to go back and un-do what the player has done.

What would be nice (from my perspective) is if after a player (or GM) has clicked on a function key (or really any other single-click roll) if for the small amount of time that a double click would have been recognized (idk how long that is, half-second?), the single click button would not accept a second click. Is there some unintended consequence of changing the behavior of single click buttons that I haven't thought of?

Nickademus
December 12th, 2015, 04:10
In the meantime, hold Ctrl and drag the extra damage onto the token to heal it back. This will reverse the extra click, but be warned that it is treated as healing and some rulesets have extra effects when this is done (for example, the 3.5e/PF ruleset heals and equal amount of nonlethal/subdual damage that could take off more than was put on with the misclick).

damned
December 12th, 2015, 04:48
When you click on a character sheet die roll, for instance Initiative, you need to double click for it to roll. But if you drag that down to one of the function key slots, then it is a single click.

As a GM, I usually just ignore the first roll, and accept the second one if it's an attack or initiative. But with damage, I need to go back and un-do what the player has done.

What would be nice (from my perspective) is if after a player (or GM) has clicked on a function key (or really any other single-click roll) if for the small amount of time that a double click would have been recognized (idk how long that is, half-second?), the single click button would not accept a second click. Is there some unintended consequence of changing the behavior of single click buttons that I haven't thought of?

Its like in Windows - you double click an application icon on the desktop to start it but on the Windows Metro interface its a single click. Inside applications its usually a single click. The players will get used to it.... eventually!

ffujita
December 12th, 2015, 04:53
I'm sure they'll eventually get used to is (as will I). But in FG, is there ever a need to perform an action multiple times a second? It isn't a FPS.

Zacchaeus
December 12th, 2015, 10:05
I'm sure they'll eventually get used to is (as will I). But in FG, is there ever a need to perform an action multiple times a second? It isn't a FPS.

I presume it's a single click on the function key because it can also be a key press rather than a mouse click. Mind you I don't know anything about such complex shenanigans as coding so I could be wrong.

There is a small learning curve for new players to get used to the interface and there are some single clicks (like death saves for example) and some double clicks. Most players however settle on one method over others. In my group I have two clickers and one dragger. None of them use the function keys at all - ever.

Nickademus
December 12th, 2015, 20:33
Just a note, it's not just the hotbar that is single click. There are places in the character sheet that are single click buttons right next to double click buttons. You have to just memorize which are which. (For example, on PF character sheet's Main tab, the Perception button features a d20 symbol and is single click while the saving throws right below it feature the same d20 symbol and are double click.)

So I can understand the confusion. I generally take the first of two rolls when a double-click happens.

ffujita
December 12th, 2015, 20:42
Just a note, it's not just the hotbar that is single click. There are places in the character sheet that are single click buttons right next to double click buttons.

Obviously it isn't a deal breaker. I know little about the programming, but it doesn't seem it would be too difficult to say, "once a button has been clicked, don't accept another click for the next 0.5 seconds."

Trenloe
December 13th, 2015, 17:55
Rule of thumb - if it's a button (raised 3D effect, depresses when clicked) then it's a single click, if it's a field (shows a number but usually has a dice icon on a corner of the field, which is not a button) then it's double-click. The hotkey bar is a single click.

The interface does make sense when you consider these differences - button vs rollable field.