PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds - Pirates of the Spanish Main / 50 Fathoms - Looking for players

Black Hammer
December 10th, 2015, 03:04
FG License: Ultimate, so anyone welcome
Game System: Savage Worlds

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: Thursday nights from 7-11PM EST
If new game, planned start date: When I have enough people, as soon as the 10th, more likely next month
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Long term. Usually I aim to run a campaign at least 6-8 sessions then re-evaluate from there based on the group's interest

Text or Voice: Both preferred.
Voice software used: Teamspeak

Roleplay & Combat mix: 65/35 RP/Combat. A bit heavier on combat than most of my games.
Number of Players in game & needed: More? I'm aiming for 4-6, though I tend to be flexible on this.
Character starting level & equipment: Novice
Character restrictions: Plausible reason to be sailing the Spanish Main.

Details of your scenario: Campaign will start with players as pirates, privateers, or merchants (depending on the group's preference) on the Spanish Main, indulging in the sort of swashbuckling you'd expect from a game with cannons, cutlasses, and carousing. Expect a gradual shift towards some fantasy elements from 50 Fathoms, essentially sailing mythology being true. Sea monsters, sirens, and such to go with your tattered treasure maps.

Savage Worlds is a relatively light mechanical system, designed to be fast and fun. It is very beginner friendly, but also appeals to the experienced roleplayer looking for a happy medium between airy narrative games and excessively granular attempts at simulations.

Daedalus
December 10th, 2015, 14:24
Damn, you would run this game on a night I cannot play. If you ran it on another day I would love to play this

Skellan
December 10th, 2015, 14:51
Oh man, I so want to play in this one. The 2 am start kills me though :(

Daedalus
December 10th, 2015, 17:35
Oh man, I so want to play in this one. The 2 am start kills me though :(

Actually if you are in england that it is only a 12am start time because you are 5 hours ahead of EST. Still bad though

Daedalus
December 11th, 2015, 16:46
Any chance of you being able to move the game to another night? Like Wednesday?

Skellan
December 11th, 2015, 16:48
and if you could possibly move it to an hour earlier I could do 11pm till 2 or something :D (may as well be cheeky)

Daedalus
December 11th, 2015, 16:56
and if you could possibly move it to an hour earlier I could do 11pm till 2 or something :D (may as well be cheeky)

An hour early might have me pushing it since it will start about a half hour (thereabouts) after I got home from work. But if he could do it on Wednesday (or even Tuesday) I know I would be into playing

Black Hammer
December 11th, 2015, 21:46
I could potentially swing a Wednesday 6-10PM EST time slot, maybe even 5-9. Thing is I'd like at least five people for this to work, and I'm only up to about three so far.

Daedalus
December 11th, 2015, 22:58
I could potentially swing a Wednesday 6-10PM EST time slot, maybe even 5-9. Thing is I'd like at least five people for this to work, and I'm only up to about three so far.

5 is pushing it for me, 6 is doable, however depending if I can get home and fast enough.

Skellan
December 12th, 2015, 01:24
I reckon we will get another couple soon. Who can resist life on the open seas with salty spray on your face and a cutlass at your side?

Daedalus
December 12th, 2015, 17:16
I reckon we will get another couple soon. Who can resist life on the open seas with salty spray on your face and a cutlass at your side?

Yeah, it has been a couple of days. Sometimes it takes a little while to find people. If you aren't running D&D it's not as easy to find players

Black Hammer
December 13th, 2015, 23:34
If you aren't running D&D it's not as easy to find players

I've noticed, but I'm also little surprised at that. I go to gaming cons a few times a year, and always get people asking me to run "anything that isn't D&D or generic fantasy." I think a lot of people (including myself) have burned out on hitting orcs with swords +1 at this point, and are far more enthusiastic about trying something new.

But then, Fantasy Grounds seems to attract a lot of people new to or inexperienced with tabletop, and for them, D&D is sort of the starting point. Which is understandable; it's the biggest name in RPGs, and has the added bonus of encouraging mechanically-focused dungeon crawls that avoid the more challenging (but also interesting) aspects of roleplaying.

So I wouldn't be surprised that something like "Monsters and Other Childish Things," Tenra Bansho Zero, or Smallville would get limited response; narrative-driven RPGs are a niche market, and those who enjoy them often have well-developled, and therefore very specific, tastes. But Savage Worlds is a game that provides some crunchy mechanics and dice-driven combat.

Skellan
December 13th, 2015, 23:44
I love d&d, especially 5e. Its popular because it is good and both veteran and new players enjoy it. I do enjoy other settings and systems though, particularly savage worlds, it is just so much fun.

Daedalus
December 14th, 2015, 16:21
I love d&d, especially 5e. Its popular because it is good and both veteran and new players enjoy it. I do enjoy other settings and systems though, particularly savage worlds, it is just so much fun.

I like and play D&D, but fantasy bores me after awhile. It's so limited where with modern day and sci-fi settings there are so many different ways you can go. I can't understand the people who that's all they play. How they can just play fantasy. I love Sci-Fi as I said and I couldn't just play sci-fi or I would get bored of it.

Daedalus
December 14th, 2015, 16:22
I've noticed, but I'm also little surprised at that. I go to gaming cons a few times a year, and always get people asking me to run "anything that isn't D&D or generic fantasy." I think a lot of people (including myself) have burned out on hitting orcs with swords +1 at this point, and are far more enthusiastic about trying something new.

But then, Fantasy Grounds seems to attract a lot of people new to or inexperienced with tabletop, and for them, D&D is sort of the starting point. Which is understandable; it's the biggest name in RPGs, and has the added bonus of encouraging mechanically-focused dungeon crawls that avoid the more challenging (but also interesting) aspects of roleplaying.

So I wouldn't be surprised that something like "Monsters and Other Childish Things," Tenra Bansho Zero, or Smallville would get limited response; narrative-driven RPGs are a niche market, and those who enjoy them often have well-developled, and therefore very specific, tastes. But Savage Worlds is a game that provides some crunchy mechanics and dice-driven combat.

The problem is there are a lot of people out there who think D&D is the only game out there. People need to work to show people that there are other games out there and expand their horizons. I think many of these people would have fun if they were introduced to other games

Skellan
December 14th, 2015, 16:42
I think many of these people would have fun if they were introduced to other games

Yeah, 50 Fathoms is a very highly rated campaign, it seems to have a great mix of the supernatural and piracy. It'll be like Black Sails or something :)

Daedalus
December 14th, 2015, 16:43
Yeah, 50 Fathoms is a very highly rated campaign, it seems to have a great mix of the supernatural and piracy. It'll be like Black Sails or something :)

I think I played in a one-shot awhile ago but I can't be sure. At either rate, I really would like to play it

Black Hammer
December 16th, 2015, 01:22
Looks like we'll be giving Wednesdays 6-10PM EST a shot. PM me if interested, might be doing character gen and starting tomorrow night depending on who can make it.

Skellan
December 16th, 2015, 01:36
I'll be ready to make waves

Black Hammer
December 16th, 2015, 02:12
I'll be ready to make waves

Keep making puns and I'll have to reread the drowning rules for Savage Worlds.

Skellan
December 16th, 2015, 02:54
OK, we'll be ship-shape and Bristol fashion from here on

Daedalus
December 16th, 2015, 14:43
Keep making puns and I'll have to reread the drowning rules for Savage Worlds.

Are you kidding? Skellan's puns are all wet and I had a sinking feeling he would be making them. He is such a drip. ;)

mithc
December 16th, 2015, 22:45
I've played a lot of D&D since 3.5 and a few other tabletop RPG's, but I've never played Savage Worlds. I would be totally interested in playing though, the setting seems like it would be lots of fun and the time slot Wednesday or Thursday works for me.

Skellan
December 16th, 2015, 22:53
Welcome aboard ye salty seadog!

I think we have press ganged enough hearty pirates to make ourselves a crew.

Regall Dorn
December 17th, 2015, 21:59
If I walk through a cold puddle with my peg leg can I say shiver me timbers? Anyway I'm in.

Black Hammer
December 27th, 2015, 04:31
So, just to update anyone I'm not already in semi-regular contact with, I think I've got a minimum to get this up and running starting next week (Wednesday the 30th). There are still open spots if people are interested.

Skellan
December 30th, 2015, 22:27
is this happening?

Black Hammer
December 30th, 2015, 23:37
is this happening?

Tonight? No, I haven't heard confirmation from enough people to even merit having a character gen pow-wow. Between the holidays was probably a bad time to try to catch people's schedules working out, but I'll be getting in touch with everyone again to get it going for next week hopefully.

Daedalus
December 31st, 2015, 00:19
What day and time are you thinking of playing?

Black Hammer
January 5th, 2016, 20:55
Alrighty, I'm winding this back up again now that the holidays are over. So far I've got about four people interested in the game being run on a Wednesday afternoon/evening; the exact time start and player roles are what need to be hammered out now.

Daedalus
January 5th, 2016, 21:32
Alrighty, I'm winding this back up again now that the holidays are over. So far I've got about four people interested in the game being run on a Wednesday afternoon/evening; the exact time start and player roles are what need to be hammered out now.

I could play in the evening, not the afternoon.

You should put up a calendar event so people can sign up so you can see your exact interest level.