PDA

View Full Version : [5E D&D] Weekly One-Shots Signup! (Tuesdays, 7-10 PM CST)

Xorn
December 9th, 2015, 14:42
Hello everyone and well met! I'm starting up a new 5E D&D "campaign" which will be a series of one-shot adventures, instead of a campaign-spanning single adventure. The goal is that players don't need to make every session, and can come and go as they like. I have an Ultimate License so demo clients can connect to our game, and we'll have 3 core players, and 4 flex slots that will be first-come first-serve.

As we stream our games, players will need to have a working webcam, and be willing to connect to Roll20 for comms/video--but we play in Fantasy Grounds! Those who play are free to use one of the twelve pre-gen characters, or post a level 1 character they would like to play (I'll enter the character in before game time as long as the character is posted by the Sunday before the game.) Your character will gain XP and continue to level through the adventures. We don't have a decided upper limit we're playing to--as long as people want to play we'll keep going!

All common races are allowed (human, dwarf, elf, halfing) and DM-approval is required for anything else. Point Buy for attributes, variant humans allowed, plus EEPC & SCAG are available (with the restriction for uncommon races). You're character needs to get along with the party. I run pretty standard 5E rules; magic items aren't simply identified by a short rest of focus, HP/level are fixed, and HD for heals are rolled. NPCs do rolled damage.

I've been DMing D&D for the last 31 years through every edition; I like to think I'm pretty comfortable with all player types and feel my job is to push players as far as I can before they win (or have a blast losing). Adding up to 10 parts, these adventures should be roughly 4 combat, 3 social, and 3 problem solving. We are adults and use adult language.

If you are interested in playing, please PM me. I'll use this thread to update for each session and who is in the slots.

Update:
For those PMing me characters for the campaign, please be sure to include:

Name
Race/Class/Background
Alignment - Traits(2)/Ideal/Bond/Flaw
Skills/Languages/Feats
Starting Equipment/Spells

I plug every character into the Forged Anvil 5E Character Generator (https://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234) to ensure nothing was missed anyway, so you don't have to go crazy making it perfect. Just answer the above. :)

Xorn
December 9th, 2015, 15:50
Sixth Session Sign-Ups:
Note that I will not hunt you down if you're on one of the lists--you need to message me to sign up for each session.

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2016 - 8 PM EST:

Nick - Barbarian (Variant Human)
Muscles - Fighter (Mountain Dwarf)
AceHigh - Druid (Wood Elf)
JaeKin - Wizard (Lightfoot Halfling)
Couvs - Warlock (Lightfoot Halfling)
Scott - Cleric (Wood Elf)
Mixylplyx - Monk (Human)

Sixth session is full (all reserve slots taken); see below for the slot-priorities. (Hotseats may open before/on gameday, since life happens):

Reserved List: Players who were present for the last session. They have Wed/Thu to claim one of the Reserved slots. On Friday all Reserved slots change to Open slots.

Ruien - Bard (Human)

Standby List: Players not at the last session but interested in playing. They have priority for claiming Standby slots on Fri/Sat. On Sunday, all Standby slots become Hotseat slots.

The Incredible - ??? (???)

Hot Seat List: Players who only join to fill up empty slots--primarily these are players from my primary campaign. All slots are considered Hotseats on Sun/Mon.

Seriul - Barbarian (Mountain Dwarf)
JohnJohn - Paladin (Human)

JoeyM
December 9th, 2015, 17:37
I would be more than interested. I play a Rogue.

Thanks,
Joey M

SheckyS
December 9th, 2015, 17:59
Sounds interesting, but I'm not thrilled about having to install yet another app for comms and video. Why not use Teamspeak or Skype? :)
Also... why do you need video? :)

ozziewolf
December 9th, 2015, 18:23
It's run through a web browser so you won't need to install anything for comms.

He streams his game sessions and every one being able to see each other adds to the immersion.

Xorn
December 9th, 2015, 18:35
Sounds interesting, but I'm not thrilled about having to install yet another app for comms and video. Why not use Teamspeak or Skype? :)
Also... why do you need video? :)

As Ozziewolf mentioned, we stream our game and I prefer the video feed from Roll20 for the players since your name is under your feed and moves with you when the player order changes.

Skellan
December 9th, 2015, 23:08
After watching Xorn's twitch sessions ( which are very entertaining by the way, well worth a watch) I thing video coms seem to give a better tabletop experience, it seems better for banter rather than push to talk and not being able to see players. I will try it in the new year.

DMDaddy0
December 10th, 2015, 00:44
I love the idea of using Roll20 for voice and chat. I've always preferred Fantasy Grounds over Roll20 but FG3 doesn't support video or chat. I'm digging the immersion the voice/video provides.

sctorchwoodfan
December 10th, 2015, 01:49
Oh wow, the twitch sessions do look awesome. The pc's definitely seem to be having fun.

Xorn
December 10th, 2015, 02:03
I've tried using Skype, ooVoo, TeamViewer, and Google Hangouts, but the Roll20 style of the video feed just looks the best, in my opinion. It's also very easy to get new people on there, with nothing to install or setup.

For anyone curious, my stream is a second FG client named "Observer". It's on Roll20 as the FG logo, and just broadcasts whatever plays there. Then I don't take a character on FG, and resize the Chat, Party Sheet, and Combat Tracker to cover the left half of the screen, and use the rest of the screen for images/maps.

This gives a nice player-side view, most of the stats of the party, and a good overview of the combat tracker. I've been very happy with the setup. (Oh plus I have a Marquee across the top, and the Twitch chat in the corner.)

Acehigh
December 10th, 2015, 09:11
I'm interested in joining (PM has been sent).

TMO
December 10th, 2015, 15:54
I've tried using Skype, ooVoo, TeamViewer, and Google Hangouts, but the Roll20 style of the video feed just looks the best, in my opinion. It's also very easy to get new people on there, with nothing to install or setup.

Oddly enough, it was our (poor) experience with Roll20 that caused us to go searching for other systems and led us to Fantasy Grounds and an alternative solution for audio/video. I big part of that poor experience was with the audio/video service. We found it to be rather spotty, laggy, and just plain inconsistent. Users would often have to log out and back in to get picked up.

sctorchwoodfan
December 10th, 2015, 23:03
Is it possible to watch the session as it is going on..... I am not familiar with Twitch?

Xorn
December 10th, 2015, 23:38
Yes, I stream my games over FG on Tuesday (8 PM EST) and Thursday (8:30 PM EST). We're near the end of Rise of Tiamat in tonight's game, feel free to stop by and chat!

Xorn
December 15th, 2015, 14:24
First game is tonight! We've got a lot of interest, and the steam will be live by 8 PM EST. I expect tonight's game to run about 2.5 hours, though you never know.

https://www.twitch.tv/eugeetv

Feel free to stop by and see the game--and if you think it looks fun, sign up for the on-deck list! We'll be cycling the flex slots quite a bit!

ozziewolf
December 16th, 2015, 04:12
Thanks for playing guys. I had an absolute blast tonight. This one is definitely up there as one of my favorite sessions.

Couvs
December 16th, 2015, 04:40
If it's not too late, I'm also interested in getting in on this when I can! I've only played one game on FG so far (Zacchaeus's "The Incomplete Breakfast", which was quite fun!), and I'm reasonably well versed with 5E (been playing in a local ADL group for near to 2 months now and I watch Critical Role weekly). I'm guessing the answer will be no, but I'm gonna ask just in case: would there be the possibility of being able to play a homebrewed class at all? I'm looking at the Blood Hunter by Matt Mercer. A class module for it has been posted with his permission on the 5E forum, the only little kink in it is how to set up the effects of some of the class powers.

Failing that, I'd be interested in playing a sorcerer, paladin or warlock :)

Xorn
December 16th, 2015, 10:27
If it's not too late, I'm also interested in getting in on this when I can! I've only played one game on FG so far (Zacchaeus's "The Incomplete Breakfast", which was quite fun!), and I'm reasonably well versed with 5E (been playing in a local ADL group for near to 2 months now and I watch Critical Role weekly). I'm guessing the answer will be no, but I'm gonna ask just in case: would there be the possibility of being able to play a homebrewed class at all? I'm looking at the Blood Hunter by Matt Mercer. A class module for it has been posted with his permission on the 5E forum, the only little kink in it is how to set up the effects of some of the class powers.

Failing that, I'd be interested in playing a sorcerer, paladin or warlock :)

Short answer--slots in the campaign should open weekly--just watch this thread and your message inbox (as I'll move through the On-Deck list to fill empty slots each week). We had two slots open yesterday, for example.

As far as your starting character, as much as I love the Blood Hunter and Matt Mercer, we're sticking with common races only (human/dwarf/elf/halfling) for the first characters, primarily for that old-school D&D feel--even half-elves don't make the list! Send me a private message with the character you would like on standby in the campaign for when a slot opens up, and I'll add you to the on-deck list!

Couvs
December 16th, 2015, 15:48
Short answer--slots in the campaign should open weekly--just watch this thread and your message inbox (as I'll move through the On-Deck list to fill empty slots each week). We had two slots open yesterday, for example.

As far as your starting character, as much as I love the Blood Hunter and Matt Mercer, we're sticking with common races only (human/dwarf/elf/halfling) for the first characters, primarily for that old-school D&D feel--even half-elves don't make the list! Send me a private message with the character you would like on standby in the campaign for when a slot opens up, and I'll add you to the on-deck list!

Ok that's what I thought :) one last question for the races though.. is it just the base race or can any of the subraces for those listed (human, dwarf, elf, halfling) be used? for example, Lightfoot Halflings.
Also, I don't have the PHB materials for FG yet. Once I figure out what exactly I'm playing (I'll put together a PDF character sheet) would there be a time I could meet up with you on TS and in game to set it up in FG?

Xorn
December 16th, 2015, 18:29
Human (normal and variant), dwarf (mountain and hill), elf (wood and high), halfling (lightfoot and stout) is the common races we're using. Just PM me the key stuff (attributes, race/class/background, traits/ideal/bond/flaw, and starting equipment/spells) and I'll add the character, and message you if there's anything that needs to be adjusted.

daemonos
December 16th, 2015, 19:37
How they come to chat and video via FG??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PyZC_DtNNE

just found this

Video, or voice, is not included in the software. It is a design decision made by the developers that they'd rather concentrate on VTT functionality than implement and support a single voice/video client. There are many free solutions out there, and people have their own favourites, so I personally believe this is a good decision - use your preferred video solution (a lot of people use Google Hangouts, for example; others will use Skype, etc.) and leave Fantasy Grounds to do the VTT part.

Hangouts might be a nice solution :)

Xorn
December 17th, 2015, 04:29
We use Roll20 primary (because of the names in the stream feed) or Google Hangouts when Roll20 is being a butt (like the last session). If Google Hangouts let you put your character name under your video feed as easily as Roll20, I'd use it all the time

Xorn
December 20th, 2015, 18:05
In order to keep it from getting too long, if I haven't heard from someone on-deck for 2 session straight, I'll remove them from the list, to make it more clear who is actively waiting for a flex slot.

Couvs
December 20th, 2015, 22:33
I can confirm that the 22nd is perfectly fine and I'll be there. I will be away on the 29th though.

Xorn
December 23rd, 2015, 15:04
Last night was a great game! The session has been added to the YouTube playlist, and a big thanks to all the players that made it a success. I was really impressed with how everyone dove in and turned what could have been a pretty straightforward hack-n-slash into a plethora of out-of-the-box solutions!

Can't wait for next session on 12/29!

As a reminder for players on the on-deck/hotseat list, if you tune into the stream and we're short players or have open slots, you are free to jump in and join the session, with the first two sessions we had 2 seats open the first game, and one seat open last night! :)

Couvs
December 23rd, 2015, 15:55
Who knew that goblins made for such entertaining improvised weapons!

ozziewolf
December 23rd, 2015, 16:02
It's all in how you grip them.

I had a great time playing with every one last night. I especially love the part where we froze the lock and charmed the bugbear.

Couvs
December 23rd, 2015, 17:03
Charming the bugbear and setting him up like that was genius. There was a brief moment when Davvias was afraid that Worg might actually bust down that cage door after getting that evil eye from it

ozziewolf
December 29th, 2015, 20:02
I am so ready, I need my D&D Fix!

bigbluepaw
December 29th, 2015, 21:22
So, umm, will there be another one shot on Tuesday, January 5th? I'd love to join in.

Here's my background and some character concepts.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27478-LFG-1-Player-Tues-Weds-Thurs-CST-US-Time-5E

Xorn
December 30th, 2015, 13:10
Hello, there will definitely be a game on 1/5/2016. The folks who played in the 12/29 game have a chance to opt-in first for the next game, and all remaining slots open up on Friday. Stay tuned to the post, and PM me the character you would like to play that fits into the guidelines in the first post. (We haven't had a full game yet, so it's fairly likely there will be a slot open.)

(I clarified how the on-deck slots work in the second post.)

Xorn
December 30th, 2015, 13:48
Third Session YouTube Replay (now with 100% more domestic violence!) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7VZwCs-lbA)

Couvs
December 30th, 2015, 14:22
I"ll be back from my trip and should be available if there's a spot for Davvius next week :D

Xorn
December 30th, 2015, 15:47
Dropped you in an Open slot. :)

Xorn
January 6th, 2016, 13:29
Fourth session (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNEoO1XzPU&index=6&list=PLePiBJtKmjLnBmjqZA0D399pIMdI5xP5N) was great, and it looks like everyone will be returning for the fifth session!

Guards getting out-witted by a bard, and "cutting" people with a spiked bat--what else could you ask for!?

Xorn
January 26th, 2016, 20:11
I'm not sure if anyone still checks this thread, but as we're breaking into level three on all the current players, we've decided to shift this game into a full-blown campaign now, with 6 people from the roster (3 are fixed players, the other 3 are the most common people to play in the one-shots):

Nick - Barbarian (Variant Human)
Muscles - Fighter (Mountain Dwarf)
AceHigh - Druid (Wood Elf)
JaeKin - Wizard (Lightfoot Halfling)
Couvs - Warlock (Lightfoot Halfling)
Scott - Cleric (Wood Elf)

Diomitus
January 27th, 2016, 00:13
Looking for any more? Also what sort of campaign?