PDA

View Full Version : Can't Download Updates

albinonewt
December 8th, 2015, 14:28
I'm trying to download the new updates this morning, including the DMG which I just purchased and I'm getting an error message:

Getting packages from FG server
ERROR - Get Products: Network: connecting to host
Retrying in 10 seconds

I thought it might be my network, so I tried connecting to another one and got the same errors.

Moon Wizard
December 8th, 2015, 18:25
It could be because we just pushed a release today, and our patch server is probably overloaded. Or it's an indication that the updater does not have access to the Internet, which is usually caused by security software (such as Windows Firewall or McAfee).

You can try a bit later, and then double check security settings if still not working.

Regards,
JPG

SheckyS
December 9th, 2015, 01:47
Yeah, I'm getting the same error. It just keeps retrying. It's been going for about an hour, now.

ddavison
December 9th, 2015, 01:53
Please try it again now. We were having some server issues that were preventing issues. We may still have some... but I am actively working on the server to look for bottlenecks that can be addressed.

Baron28
December 9th, 2015, 01:57
Please try it again now. We were having some server issues that were preventing issues. We may still have some... but I am actively working on the server to look for bottlenecks that can be addressed.

No joy

DrakosDJ
December 9th, 2015, 04:43
I've been geeting this error for the last two updates, and now again with this one.

ddavison
December 9th, 2015, 05:38
We made some server changes about an hour ago that (just before your post) that should improve the performance and reliability of the transfer. The DMG specifically is a large file (130MB), so it exposed a system bottleneck that we had.

albinonewt
December 9th, 2015, 14:40
I finally managed to download it this morning. I did have to disable my firewall, which I don't think I've had to on updates before. I also lost the server several times during the download. Even though I could still get pages in IE I ended up disconnecting and reconnecting from and to the WiFi in order to "trick" the downloader into finding the server.

SheckyS
December 9th, 2015, 17:01
I tried last night after the reply to my post above saying to try it again. Not only did it still not work, even the forums were unresponsive so I couldn't even post here to say so. Forums seem to be doing fine today, so I will try again tonight after work.

I have to give you folks at FG a big thumbs down for not being prepared for the big rush.
But a thumbs up for responding so quickly. :)

Nylanfs
December 9th, 2015, 17:14
The issue is that the DMG is 130mb (and the largest DLC I believe), the rush of everyone getting it uncovered a previously unknown bottleneck with the server. So this is unlikely to happen again, at least a lot of people getting the same big download at the same time.

ddavison
December 9th, 2015, 21:47
We have been wanting to move to a bigger server or a cloud service anyway and this gives us one more reason to do so. Our server is a little underpowered at the moment. You are correct, though, that we did not properly anticipate the rush and the impact of so many of them going on at once. Combined with the larger size, it meant that people were in the process of downloading it longer as well as more people buying it. It was pretty much a perfect storm of items to bring it down and we lost about 5 hours at peak time before we were able to provide a solution. We are just hoping that our current solution will hold out for the time to move to bigger and better hardware.

gamermatt
December 10th, 2015, 01:19
It's something more than that. My Norton definitely blocked it. I made the changes to the firewall to let it go through and I'm still failing. Norton decided to quarantine the updaterengine.exe file. Anyone know how to tell Norton that the file isn't an issue?

Griogre
December 12th, 2015, 09:33
This is late but you should be able to go into advance options and tell it the FG program folder with the updater engine is safe.

TheGarvster
December 12th, 2015, 15:09
I have Norton 360 and it seems that the SONAR Protection Keeps quarantining the Fantasy grounds updater for some reason. I even made sure all the setting would allow FG to work but it always kept happening. So what I have done is go to setting->antivirus->scans and risks->Items to Exclude from auto-protect, Sonar and Download Intelligence Detection(Configure)-> Add Folders-> then I browsed to where I have the FG II folder with the updater and added it.->click ok
. It seems to have taken care of the problem.

I never had a problem before, I wonder if something was changed within Norton or the Updater?
Hope this helps.

Trenloe
December 13th, 2015, 08:00
Yeah, Norton 360 just blocked the FG updaterengine. I had to go into the Program Control and allow UpdateEngine.exe access.

ianmward
December 13th, 2015, 21:33
Happened to me to... I'm not sure why it suddenly decided it was a threat.

damned
December 13th, 2015, 21:48
if updaterengine.exe changed (eg was updated) and then Norton sees it downloading something it may have felt it was suspicious behaviour.

olstar18
December 14th, 2015, 02:46
Sounds like a very good reason to allow a manual install system. It is rather ridiculous that I can not download my dlc at all even though I have already paid for it.

ianmward
December 14th, 2015, 22:05
Sounds like a very good reason to allow a manual install system. It is rather ridiculous that I can not download my dlc at all even though I have already paid for it.
I'm not sure I understand. Why can't you download? Your antivirus thought the update was suspicious and quarantined it, so tell your antivirus it's wrong and to let it do its stuff.

I had the problem, fixed the antivirus and now it works fine.

JohnD
December 14th, 2015, 23:20
I'm not sure I understand. Why can't you download? Your antivirus thought the update was suspicious and quarantined it, so tell your antivirus it's wrong and to let it do its stuff.

Easier to complain than fix possibly.

dulux-oz
December 15th, 2015, 00:51
Personally, I find Norton a PITA - I use and recommend to all my clients AVG - its free, has Windows and Android versions (so you only need to learn it once) and as a Professional "ICT guy" consider it the best on the market - not perfect, but way better than "some other products" - plus I've never had issues with it and FG.

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but still...

Cheers

olstar18
December 15th, 2015, 04:16
What is hard to understand? Auto install sometimes has issues so allow manual install. Problem solved. And no it was not my antivirus that caused the issue. When I went into the common folder and opened the updater there instead of through steam it ran fine. Guess someone needs to work on their steam interface. Guess its easier to complain than fix so probably won't see it getting fixed anytime soon.

Moon Wizard
December 15th, 2015, 06:04
Due to the large number of DLC, it's not feasible to build a manual installer.

We're working on upgrading our servers, and have already made some changes to address the recent patch system issue.

Thanks,
JPG

Octavious
December 15th, 2015, 18:07
If you bought your fantasy grounds from steam you must run the copy bought from steam and not directly from your fantasy ground folder *.exe I had same problem just reboot computer and run the copy that requires steam to be running.

Trenloe
December 15th, 2015, 18:19
If you bought your fantasy grounds from steam you must run the copy bought from steam and not directly from your fantasy ground folder *.exe I had same problem just reboot computer and run the copy that requires steam to be running.
This isn't strictly true. All the Steam FG application does is launch the main FG application - it's not a separate application.

What problems were you having launching the FantasyGrounds.exe application?

Octavious
December 15th, 2015, 19:14
I didn't have any problems launching the exe application at all .. it seemed when I did and ran the check for updates I got the message cant find server or something like that an error occurred.. but when I ran the one thru steam it worked fine for the updates.. but I did purchase my adds from steam for fantasy grounds such as the DMG and the D&D games so maybe that was it .. or.. maybe it was purely co incidental that I had problems updating with the exe and not the fantasy grounds using the steam launcher.

Trenloe
December 15th, 2015, 19:18
If you purchased through Steam you need to have the Steam client logged in (FG connects to the Steam Client to check for purchases) and the Settings screen "Check Steam for DLC" selected. I'm guessing you might not have had the Steam client logged in when you tried the update directly from the FG executable.

ShotGun Jolly
December 23rd, 2015, 16:08

This just happened to me, but it auto deleted my updater.exe. How do I restore it now? (Non Steam Version) Seems NAV wont let me find the file it removed.

ShotGun Jolly
December 23rd, 2015, 16:10
NM.. Got it.

ddavison
December 23rd, 2015, 16:42
I think these are the steps (looks like you already found them):

here are the steps for you:
1. Open your Norton product
2. On the main window click on Quarantine
3. On the opened list find the file you want to restore
4. Click on More Details (bottom, right side)
5. On the new window click on Options (bottom)
6. Click on Restore file
7. Check the "do not detect it any more option" during the restore
8. Close windows

JohnD
December 23rd, 2015, 21:04
I know this doesn't help specifically, but I've used Kaspersky for about ten years now and never have had any issues like this, nor any viruses, despite spending time in a lot of dubious places on-line.

midas
December 23rd, 2015, 21:45
Personally, I find Norton a PITA - I use and recommend to all my clients AVG - its free, has Windows and Android versions (so you only need to learn it once) and as a Professional "ICT guy" consider it the best on the market - not perfect, but way better than "some other products" - plus I've never had issues with it and FG.

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but still...

Cheers

To continue your off-topicness I've been a network admin for about 20 years myself and have always hated Norton. The new Norton has been outstanding, though. I think it was last year I got it? Norton 360. Super lightweight (especially compared to the bloat of previous versions). If you'd told me even 4 years ago that I'd be using a Norton product I'd have laughed in your face.

damned
December 23rd, 2015, 23:24
i manage a lot of networks and we dont use Norton/Symantec on these business networks as we have other preferred AV solutions.
however for the last 2 or 3 years the Norton product for home use has been very good in my opinion.

DoomsBane
March 16th, 2016, 18:39
Can someone please help me? So I started my free 30 day Ultimate subscription and got the email to get started. However, the link attached does not seem to work. When I click on this link it says this "Not permitted. Please enter your forum username and password into your Fantasy Grounds settings screen and then run a Check for Updates to download the latest version of files you have purchased." How do I get to the fantasy ground setting screen? I cannot find it anywhere. Also in the description to get started it says to launch Fantasy ground. I have no way of doing that. Can someone help me?

Trenloe
March 16th, 2016, 18:44
Can someone please help me? So I started my free 30 day Ultimate subscription and got the email to get started. However, the link attached does not seem to work. When I click on this link it says this "Not permitted. Please enter your forum username and password into your Fantasy Grounds settings screen and then run a Check for Updates to download the latest version of files you have purchased." How do I get to the fantasy ground setting screen? I cannot find it anywhere. Also in the description to get started it says to launch Fantasy ground. I have no way of doing that. Can someone help me?
Assuming you're running on Windows, get the download from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php#Downloads Click the Windows icon and run the downloaded FGWebInstall.exe file. There will then be a settings screen where you can put your license key and your FG user name and password.

ddavison
March 16th, 2016, 18:45
On the Store, choose Downloads > All Licenses. This will download the web installer and you can enter your key when prompted.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe