PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problems

Riuk
December 8th, 2015, 13:21
Hi all, I am new here. I bought FG last week and installed it. Then I created a Campaign as a GM and I told to my friend the IP. Then my friend connected to the game.
After few minutes he got disconnected and couldnt log in again. I had to restart the game I hosted. Then he could reconnect again but after few minutes (always 5-6 minutes) he got disconnected again.
Can you help me?
Thanks

Moon Wizard
December 8th, 2015, 19:08
Riuk,

I haven't heard of anything like this recently. Fantasy Grounds requires a consistent connection to the server in order to ensure that the database is the same on GM and player sides.

Just going to throw out some thoughts to get the conversation started:
* It seems unlikely that it's a security software problem, since they usually block all the way or not at all; but it might be worth reviewing. (i.e. Windows Firewall, etc.)
* Are either of you on a wireless connection? If so, can you try moving next to the wireless access point or connecting via a wire?
* If the router somehow "forgot" the port forwarding mid-session, I could see something like this happening. Did you set up port forwarding on your router manually, or are you letting Fantasy Grounds try to do it (using UPnP)? You might try setting up port forwarding on your router manually for port 1802 to your internal IP address for the machine running FG. (Perhaps it's a UPnP security feature that limits the amount of time a port is open, not sure.)

Hopefully, some of the networking gurus in the user community can add more ideas.

Regards,
JPG

Riuk
December 8th, 2015, 20:08
Thanks for your ideas. I followed a guide in your forum and I solved the problem. It was probably a connection problem. I downloaded Hamachi and now we have not problems.
Thanks!

P.S. FG is very cool. Goodjob!