PDA

View Full Version : Release v3.1.5

Moon Wizard
December 8th, 2015, 04:00
Fantasy Grounds v3.1.5 is now available via the FG updater or via the FG installer on the Downloads page.

Here's a list of what is included:

[5E] DMG release.
[5E] Item forge added to allow magic item templates to be combined or applied to basic items.
...many other bug fixes and data patches...

It you want the details, a comprehensive list of patch notes is available here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html).

Cheers,
JPG

brustmlj
December 8th, 2015, 06:19
Excellent work. Thank you guys for all you do. Is there a tutorial on using magic templates? Armor +1 makes a lot of sense. What would a potion of climbing template be used for? How would you envision using the spell scroll level 3 template? Thanks

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 10:50
Excellent work. Thank you guys for all you do. Is there a tutorial on using magic templates? Armor +1 makes a lot of sense. What would a potion of climbing template be used for? How would you envision using the spell scroll level 3 template? Thanks

I updated the wiki guide yestersay to include usage of The Forge here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Item_Sheet).

JohnD
December 8th, 2015, 11:11
Although not listed in the change log, the issue at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27031-Party-Sheet-Can-t-Roll-Ability-Checks-in-C-amp-C has been fixed. Thanks.

brustmlj
December 8th, 2015, 16:06
I updated the wiki guide yestersay to include usage of The Forge here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Item_Sheet).

Ok yes that is a good start. I still have a question on scrolls. I dropped a 3rd level spell scroll template into the forge and tried to drop the fireball spell in the forge. The spell ended up dropping on the template side. And the forge was not able to create the scroll.

What is the process for creating scrolls?

Thanks,
Mike

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 16:38
You'll find the scroll of fireball in the magic items list in the DMG.

You can combine scrolls by dropping two or more scroll templates into the 'templates' side of the Forge and clicking Forge Magic Item. Since there's no mundane item called scroll in the equipment list there isn't a way to create a new fireball scroll for example. You can also 'Add' a template to a scroll by dragging a scroll from the magic item list into the left hand side and then a template into the right hand side.

Since all of the spell scrolls are already in the DMG there doesn't seem to be a need to be able to create them again.

kylania
December 8th, 2015, 16:39
What is the process for creating scrolls?

Under Magic Items there seems to be a Scroll for every spell already made.

I was able to combine a Scroll from Adventuring Gear with a Spell Level 9 Magic Item Template to create a Spell Scroll (9th level) then combine that newly created item with a Scroll of Fireball Magic Item Template to make a 9th level Fireball scroll, which shows the proper (i guess?) DC 19 but doesn't appear to have any way of automatically rolling the 13d6 damage for the spell effect.

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 17:59
Under Magic Items there seems to be a Scroll for every spell already made.

I was able to combine a Scroll from Adventuring Gear with a Spell Level 9 Magic Item Template to create a Spell Scroll (9th level) then combine that newly created item with a Scroll of Fireball Magic Item Template to make a 9th level Fireball scroll, which shows the proper (i guess?) DC 19 but doesn't appear to have any way of automatically rolling the 13d6 damage for the spell effect.

This may be because there is nothing anywhere that I can find which suggests that you can create a spell scroll at any level other than the base level of the spell. So on that basis you can't create a 9th level scroll of Fireball, only a 3rd level one.

kylania
December 8th, 2015, 19:06
The official word from Jeremy Crawford is "The spell on a spell scroll is at the spell's lowest level, unless a particular scroll says otherwise. (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/604487295949881344)" So while there exists a possibility of higher level spell scrolls there's no specific rule for it, they are assumed to be base level of spell -- so what's already included. :)

brustmlj
December 8th, 2015, 20:24
Ok well I found the scrolls. I previously searched on spell instead of scroll.

Thanks I have a new question, or more observation. Staffs are not populating the actions tab on a character sheet properly. I have looked at the xml dropped onto the sheet and they have all the weapons attributes one would expect. I assume this is because they are of the type staff instead of weapon. It seems to me these should populate the actions tab since they are in fact weapons.

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 20:34
Ok well I found the scrolls. I previously searched on spell instead of scroll.

Thanks I have a new question, or more observation. Staffs are not populating the actions tab on a character sheet properly. I have looked at the xml dropped onto the sheet and they have all the weapons attributes one would expect. I assume this is because they are of the type staff instead of weapon. It seems to me these should populate the actions tab since they are in fact weapons.

Noted

Moon Wizard
December 8th, 2015, 21:08
Actually, we're talking about this internally now, and staffs/rods/wands are not inherently weapons. My gut reaction is that these items are not usable as weapons, unless it specifically states in their description; as this is how the descriptions are written (i.e. that using this item as a weapon is an ability of this item). These items can also be used as an arcane focus (such as Rod of the Pact Keeper and Wand of the War Mage), which is why they show a bonus field. However, this bonus is not

Here are the items that specifically say they can be used as a weapon:
Rod of Lordly Might
Staff of Power
Staff of Striking
Staff of the Adder
Staff of the Magi
Staff of the Woodlands
Staff of Thunder and Lightning
Staff of Withering

We'll have to think about how to enable these as weapons that are added to the Actions tab, without interfering with the way the item forge works.

Thanks,
JPG

Griogre
December 8th, 2015, 22:10
On DMG pg 140 it actually says "Unless a staff's description says otherwise, a staff can be used as a quarterstaff." So for staffs they are almost always weapons. I am not aware of any of the DMG staffs saying they can't be used as a weapon.

Moon Wizard
December 8th, 2015, 22:56
Good point, I didn't see that. We'll take that into consideration.

JPG

ianricks58
December 9th, 2015, 07:02
It's probably not too big of a deal, but on most of the roll tables that roll 2d20 (Such as the Vicious Weapon table or the Weapon +1) have an option for 1 when rolling a 2 is the minimum possible result. It shouldn't pose a problem for the item forge, since they are individually listed in a different menu.

Targas
December 9th, 2015, 07:10
Although I tell my players if they are going to use their spell focus as a weapon, there's the slight possibility on a fumble that 'weapon' will break and will leave the character without a spell focus, which would require the characters to carry a lot of material spell components in exchange.

Zeus
December 9th, 2015, 11:18
On DMG pg 140 it actually says "Unless a staff's description says otherwise, a staff can be used as a quarterstaff." So for staffs they are almost always weapons. I am not aware of any of the DMG staffs saying they can't be used as a weapon.

Thats correct but instead of adding something like 'this staff cannot be used as a quarterstaff' to those specific staffs that can't be used as weapons, Wizards elected to add 'this staff can be wielded as a magic quarterstaff' to those that can? This somewhat contradicts the general statements about staffs. Its for this reason I originally merged the magic staffs in which their descriptions explicitly state they can be used as quarterstaffs with quarterstaffs, and the remaining with a simple staff. However as the type of the magic item is staff the ruleset doesn't recognise it as a weapon (even for those that are), something JPG and I will fix for the next update.

So at the moment the description for the following staffs state they can be used as quarterstaffs.

Staff of Charming
Staff of Power
Staff of Striking
Staff of the Magi
Staff of the Woodlands
Staff of Withering

As such, I interpret the remaining staffs are staffs and not weapons; Am I wrong to?

Zacchaeus
December 9th, 2015, 11:25
It's probably not too big of a deal, but on most of the roll tables that roll 2d20 (Such as the Vicious Weapon table or the Weapon +1) have an option for 1 when rolling a 2 is the minimum possible result. It shouldn't pose a problem for the item forge, since they are individually listed in a different menu.

Good point, thanks for reporting

Griogre
December 9th, 2015, 23:56
So at the moment the description for the following staffs state they can be used as quarterstaffs.

Staff of Charming
Staff of Power
Staff of Striking
Staff of the Magi
Staff of the Woodlands
Staff of Withering

As such, I interpret the remaining staffs are staffs and not weapons; Am I wrong to?

I think so. I think the items that are called out all have a bonus +2 or better to hit and damage, except the Staff of Charming. For a magic staff without something specific I would treat it as a magic quarterstaff weapon +0.

The specific text for Staff of Charming puzzles me, though it's the first magic staff on the list so it might just be something they originally had in for every staff and took out when they added the general case for staffs and just missed taking out?

Tivaan01
December 11th, 2015, 14:01
Having an issue with the auto update to v3.1.5
I get this error:

Fantasy Grounds Updater

HandleFile
Unable to save file (FantasyGrounds.exe)

Zacchaeus
December 11th, 2015, 14:06
Hi, Tivaan01; I suggest that you report your problem in this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?41-The-House-of-Healing) thread

Targas
December 11th, 2015, 16:30
Having an issue with the auto update to v3.1.5
I get this error:
Fantasy Grounds Updater
HandleFile
Unable to save file (FantasyGrounds.exe)
Hi Tivaan,

I had this a couple of times running Win7 32Bit and the WebInstall Version (non steam) as well.
Sometimes it helped to 'reboot', especially if I updated the 'updater' and the updater wanted to updated a couple of files.

Sometimes I had to reinstall the FGWebInstall.exe SW and download all SW updates again, which fixed the issue always.

Tivaan01
December 12th, 2015, 00:44
I got it, I deleted the old exe file in the folder and it downloaded and installed correctly

Myrddin
December 18th, 2015, 17:36
I'm having problems with the latest update. Every time I have tried to run the update this week, I get the "ERROR - Get Products: Network: connecting to host Retrying in 10 seconds" message. Normally the update runs fine. Is there anything I should be doing differently?

Trenloe
December 18th, 2015, 17:39
I'm having problems with the latest update. Every time I have tried to run the update this week, I get the "ERROR - Get Products: Network: connecting to host Retrying in 10 seconds" message. Normally the update runs fine. Is there anything I should be doing differently?
Check that your security/anti-virus application isn't blocking the FG updater: UpdaterEngine.exe

This has happened to a number of users (including me) recently. If you're using Norton there's some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27180-Can-t-Download-Updates&p=243462&viewfull=1#post243462 Even if you're not using Norton, check that this application is present (usually in the \Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds directory) and that it can be ran.

Myrddin
December 18th, 2015, 17:46
Thanks Trenloe. That was exactly the problem. Any reason why Norton has suddenly Blocked the updater engine?

Zacchaeus
December 18th, 2015, 17:52
Thanks Trenloe. That was exactly the problem. Any reason why Norton has suddenly Blocked the updater engine?

Because it's Norton? :)

Griogre
December 18th, 2015, 18:15
It's a false positive for Norton apparently in some cases. It's probably made worse when the servers are busy and you might need to run the updater a few times to get through and FG being niche software - that seems to trip off the auto protect. As others have noted, Norton has been getting poor ratings the last few years. I still have it on a few computers but will probably let those subscriptions expire.

Honken
December 19th, 2015, 08:17
Not related to the release, but... Have you noticed how all your virus problems starts with installing a anti virus program?

/H

HoloGnome
January 14th, 2016, 06:21
I see that there is a client update that is now pending. What is the new version and what has changed?

dulux-oz
January 14th, 2016, 07:07
I see that there is a client update that is now pending. What is the new version and what has changed?

Its only the new 5E SRD that Doug mentioned today in another post

JohnD
January 18th, 2016, 02:57
I'll have to take a look through the SRD for curiosity's sake.