PDA

View Full Version : combat tracker npc names

AKABigBlack
December 8th, 2015, 02:01
has anyone else had the need to mask your npc names on the CT? i like to name the main NPC's when i create an encounter and i wish there was a way to hide this detailed name and provide a generic name similar to the way items are identified.

anyone know of an extension that does this?

Skellan
December 8th, 2015, 02:35
I like to change the names before building the encounter. You are right, this would be a cool extension. I did notice someone from smiteworks say that a name generator would be a cool feature so maybe it will get added at some point :)

TMO
December 8th, 2015, 05:52
Pre-made modules tend to number NPCs that come in groups, which his itself a bit telling (i.e., players get a sense of the number of their opponents, even if all of them aren't visible.) I have gone through and custom named my NPCs but this gets tedious. I wish there was a way to have generic names (even if all they do is identify the type of creature) but without a number assignment.

jshauber
December 8th, 2015, 06:00
Pre-made modules tend to number NPCs that come in groups, which his itself a bit telling (i.e., players get a sense of the number of their opponents, even if all of them aren't visible.) I have gone through and custom named my NPCs but this gets tedious. I wish there was a way to have generic names (even if all they do is identify the type of creature) but without a number assignment.

As GM you can access the options button (top right, looks like a cog) and give them random numbers. So you get things like Orc 46 when there are only 7 etc.

Also, when you create an encounter you can change the name of the creature in the encounter to pig face humanoid for example or Red Scaly Slimy Thing...

TMO
December 8th, 2015, 06:02
As GM you can access the options button (top right, looks like a cog) and give them random numbers. So you get things like Orc 46 when there are only 7 etc.

Also, when you create an encounter you can change the name of the creature in the encounter to pig face humanoid for example or Red Scaly Slimy Thing...

I didn't know about the random number generator, so thank you for that! I know about changing the names, which is what I explained I have done. But, that is a lot of work for NPCs that won't last very long. :)

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 10:56
I didn't know about the random number generator, so thank you for that! I know about changing the names, which is what I explained I have done. But, that is a lot of work for NPCs that won't last very long. :)

You can edit the name in the encounter once it has been created so that means you only need to change it once. So if you have 10 Goblins in an encounter, click on the name in the encounter and change it to Green scaly thing or whatever. It helps but won't do what you want (if I'm understanding you correctly) which is to name each individual Goblin with something generic.

TMO
December 8th, 2015, 16:14
You can edit the name in the encounter once it has been created so that means you only need to change it once. So if you have 10 Goblins in an encounter, click on the name in the encounter and change it to Green scaly thing or whatever. It helps but won't do what you want (if I'm understanding you correctly) which is to name each individual Goblin with something generic.

Thanks. I did understand that part. Most of my comments had to do with pre-generated modules, such as the WotC adventures. With a few encounters I renamed all of the NPCs to something unique. After it was all done, I decided this was a lot of work for little gain. I don't mind the type of creature being named and I don't mind the need to have each creature require a unique name (which is why I assume the numbers are added in the combat tracker). I am simply whining (yes, whining...not complaining) that the numbers are not my preference. I can't think of anything else that would be reasonable for Fantasy Grounds to do other than an enhancement that allowed for alternative types of randomizing suffixes. The interwebs are repleat with all sorts of naming generators for any genre, creature, movie, book, etc. Thought perhaps that could be helpful for some guidance.

JohnD
December 8th, 2015, 16:51
The Rolemaster ruleset has a separate field for "Unidentified Name" which shows up until the GM indicates the monster is identified by the characters. Maybe use that as a starting point?

Griogre
December 8th, 2015, 21:00
I don't mind the type of creature being named and I don't mind the need to have each creature require a unique name (which is why I assume the numbers are added in the combat tracker).

There isn't a requirement on the combat tracker for unique display names. In options Set Add: NPC number to off. All monsters on the trackers will just have the base name. I'm doubtful you find it that useful just because it leads to players trying to tell you to do something with that Orc that is 3rd from the left, second to the bottom instead of Orc 32.

TMO
December 8th, 2015, 21:04
There isn't a requirement on the combat tracker for unique display names. In options Set Add: NPC number to off. All monsters on the trackers will just have the base name. I'm doubtful you find it that useful just because it leads to players trying to tell you to do something with that Orc that is 3rd from the left, second to the bottom instead of Orc 32.

Ah...even more options I never understood until now. Thanks! It's not really a problem for our group as they are quite used to targeting NPCs on the map, usually by dropping the die rolls directly onto the tokens.

spite
December 9th, 2015, 06:20
You can also make it give random numbers instead of 1-x
So three goblins would be called something like
goblin 1
goblin 33
goblin 7

Then they cant garner how many are there, but can differentiate.

TMO
December 9th, 2015, 06:47
You can also make it give random numbers instead of 1-x
So three goblins would be called something like
goblin 1
goblin 33
goblin 7

Then they cant garner how many are there, but can differentiate.

Yes. This is what jshauber explained above in the 4th post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27170-combat-tracker-npc-names&p=242619&viewfull=1#post242619). I'm just debating whether a random number in and of itself adds too much utility to the game that it steals a bit from the immersion effect. As a player myself I think I would prefer this.

AKABigBlack
December 10th, 2015, 01:32
The Rolemaster ruleset has a separate field for "Unidentified Name" which shows up until the GM indicates the monster is identified by the characters. Maybe use that as a starting point?

JohnD, this is exactly what i'm talking about.....now to start on writing an extension.

JohnD
December 10th, 2015, 16:01
Nice.