PDA

View Full Version : Quick Reference Decal

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2015, 22:36
So, inspired by Fitz's 5E DM Screen, I've put together a set of reference type info to be used as a desktop decals for FG.

Currently this includes 9 different decals that have different looks to match various themes. Variants B and D have slightly less information on them to facilitate larger fonts. Instructions for adding these as background decals are here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1508245511/Adding+Backgrounds+Decals

5449154480 54482 54483 54484 54485

Additional images added to next post.

I have also uploaded the Power Point files in post #3 as well, so if anyone wants they can edit these to their heart's content. And if you come up with something better, we would all appreciate it if you shared!

License: CC-BY-SA

EDIT: Updated 23 Sept 2022, extension removed and image files attached here.

Trenloe
December 7th, 2015, 22:44
EDIT: stole Trenloe's post to add additional image versions.

54486 54487 54488 54489 54490

OP:
------

See the "Custom decal tutorial" section here: https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2015, 23:40
EDIT: PowerPoint File

Thanks Trenloe!

It now works, sort of... Power Point might not have saved the transparency, so I need to fix that. And size is not good.

A few questions;
- What is an optimal maximum size for the decal?
- Is there a way to get the decal to scale? That way depending upon Screen resolution etc?
- I noticed some strings that appear to put the decals in order of selection ("option_val_DDCL_custom2" and similar), would it be a good idea to use something like 21 & 22 so these don't conflict with other extensions?

Skellan
December 8th, 2015, 02:02
I guess you can make the decal whatever size you want, but I think you may have problems with it disappearing behind the chat box. It might be better to do it as a background image and leave a gap to the left.
I love the reference graphic by the way. Can I use it as a sharable image in my sessions please?

Seananigans
December 8th, 2015, 02:36
Yeah, if you're willing to share whatever version you end up using (that one you linked looked very useful), I'd love it in an extension form or whatever as well. Very awesome, and a great idea.

LordEntrails
December 8th, 2015, 02:51
What's the difference between a decal and a background image? I think the decal overlays the desktop image/texture, but would a background image scale?

Sure you can use it. I will post it as an extension in a bit, and with several different images and such. You might like one of those better.

LordEntrails
December 8th, 2015, 03:46
Ok, here it is as an extension. The code works, but the graphics currently suck. Tried using Gimp to set the background transparency, but didn't work out. Can someone look at the images and let me know what I did wrong?

Note, the extension includes 4 images. 2 are the original ratio as the one I posted above, 2 are at a new ratio with an empty left side which seems to position things pretty good. 3 have transparency, but look horrible.

Skellan
December 8th, 2015, 19:38
Yeah, it all seems to be working fine, just need to mess about with the final images. QR-B seems the easiest to read, but could do with being squared like QR-C as it gets hidden by the chat box (for the layout I use at least). It might be better to not use transparency and have an opaque backdrop as it makes it easier to read.

damned
December 11th, 2015, 12:13
Hi LordEntrails

the Decal does do some auto-scaling but the desktop background does not.
Unfortunately the scaling affects the legibility of the text.
The transparent images probably dont work that well full stop - not because of the app that you have used to make them.

With this amount of data you *may* be better off putting it into one or more story entries and sharing those (or sharing a module containing these entries) - it might work better for you and there would be less scaling/legibility issues. Just a thought.

Griogre
December 11th, 2015, 19:40
Or you might just want to make it an image you can share since you can guarantee the size and therefore the scale of the lettering.

LordEntrails
December 11th, 2015, 22:12
I didn't want it to be another window myself and the players would have to manage. Also, by having it as a decal (or background) it's always "on" and players will read it and remember the rules without having to go through opening and consciously reading something. I've had a little better luck with some alternate images, I'll try those some more and see what people think.

rob2e
December 12th, 2015, 22:37
This is an AWESOME idea. Please let me (us) know when you've finalized the ext or module so I can use this. Great stuff!!!

LordEntrails
July 7th, 2016, 23:28
Post #1 has been updated with a link to the latest version (1.1). Consider this ready for use. Please provide comments, feedback, suggestions.

rob2e
July 8th, 2016, 01:13
I put it in my extensions folder but it doesn't show up on the list. What am I missing?

rob2e
July 8th, 2016, 01:17
Ooops, I see there are involved steps, my bad.

rob2e
July 8th, 2016, 01:33
No, I see the problem. The .ext file structure is wrong. The top folder is not necessary. Only the subfolders are necessary. Once I changed the folder structure, it worked.

Very handy btw!

LordEntrails
July 8th, 2016, 03:36
Not sure, I'm looking into it now.

LordEntrails
July 8th, 2016, 03:44
Yep, I caught that too. I've corrected and refreshed the link in post #1.

Let me know what you think.

Zacchaeus
July 8th, 2016, 09:27
Stickied

El Condoro
July 8th, 2016, 13:02
The 1.1 link is not working for me.

rob2e
July 8th, 2016, 14:39
The top file structure needs to be removed. Then it will work. I find the graphics difficult to read however.

LordEntrails
July 8th, 2016, 16:21
Looks like the share did not stick for some reason, sorry. Thought I checked that. Another way to look at the link is: https://drop.barry-wehmiller.com/index.php/s/VPL50kXQ9e6kJZw

@rob2e, is it the font size is too small? The decals are so dependent upon screen size and resolution. I tried making B & D with less info in them, and therefore larger font. The other idea I thought of was to put even less info in them, but to have them in sets of two, so you could toggle them back and forth as desired.

Thoughts?

rob2e
July 8th, 2016, 18:02
Bigger fonts yes. Less info with toggle would be much better I think. It's easy enough to toggle.

LordEntrails
July 8th, 2016, 21:18
So, how much bigger should the fonts be?
Should I keep the various background styles or go with with 2 variants?

rob2e
July 9th, 2016, 01:04
I would say fonts should be at least triple and two backgrounds is probably enough. I found a couple (with busy decorations) harder to read.

JimSocks
January 22nd, 2017, 04:16
Quick question: how are you affiliated with BW!? I work with them as a CST professor!

Overdawg
April 5th, 2017, 19:37
Can some confirm the file structure? The tutorial says %appdata%\Fantasy Grounds\Extensions so I created the following folder structure and saved the extension here on my machine C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Fantasy Grounds\extensions. All I want to do right now is add a single decal to the background of fantasy grounds. Here is the xml structure.

Nylanfs
April 5th, 2017, 19:58
Welcome to the forums and FG community.

In the upper riight is a button that will take you to your data folder.

Overdawg
April 5th, 2017, 20:06
Welcome to the forums and FG community.

In the upper riight is a button that will take you to your data folder.

I cant believe I have not seen that. Ok I can see it now when I launch FGs and it says it loaded it but the background decal isnt showing up. And yes I did change the settings to show my custom decal and I was able to see it in the list but it doesnt show up.

Nickademus
April 5th, 2017, 20:21
Go into the Options and find the entry that toggles between the Smiteworks decal, custom decal and no decal.

Overdawg
April 5th, 2017, 20:29
Go into the Options and find the entry that toggles between the Smiteworks decal, custom decal and no decal.

I did that but no dice.

Zacchaeus
April 5th, 2017, 20:48
The most likely explanation is that the extension wasn't zipped back up properly. Make sure that you zip up the extension from inside the folder (select all of the contents, right click and add to zip). Don't zip up the actual folder itself.

GarthGiantbane
April 5th, 2017, 20:51
You might also try upping the decal numbers. When I tinkered with these, there were some numbers used already by I assume some of the built in decal. Once I got it going I started numbering at 15 I think. I don't think the numbers do not have to be sequential across all possible decals but they do have to be unique. When renumbering be sure to change all lines with the changed number.

Overdawg
April 5th, 2017, 20:55
The most likely explanation is that the extension wasn't zipped back up properly. Make sure that you zip up the extension from inside the folder (select all of the contents, right click and add to zip). Don't zip up the actual folder itself.

I did that too.

Overdawg
April 5th, 2017, 21:06
You might also try upping the decal numbers. When I tinkered with these, there were some numbers used already by I assume some of the built in decal. Once I got it going I started numbering at 15 I think. I don't think the numbers do not have to be sequential across all possible decals but they do have to be unique. When renumbering be sure to change all lines with the changed number.

Good thought but I removed all but one reference to the image and change the value to 40 and it did not work.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root version="3.0" logo="logo.png">
<announcement text="Custom Desktop Decal by Dragonlance" font="emotefont" />
<properties>
<name>Dragonlance Custom Desktop Decal</name>
<version>1.1</version>
<author>Jeff</author>
<description>Adds Dragonlance decals</description>
<loadorder>99</loadorder>
</properties>
<base>
<script name="DragonlanceDecal">
function onInit()
OptionsManager.addOptionValue("DDCL", "option_val_DDCL_custom40", "desktopdecal_custom40", true);
end
</script>
<!-- Custom theme option strings -->
<string name="option_val_DDCL_custom40">DL1</string>
<!-- Custom theme textures -->
<icon name="desktopdecal_custom40" file="graphics/decals/DL1.png" />
</base>
</root>

Zacchaeus
April 5th, 2017, 21:18
So, I just d/l it and added a new decal after the existing ones. If I have no other decals loaded apart from this extension then my addition does not show up. If, however I add in another decal extension (in this case HotDQ) my graphic shows up but with the HotDQ name rather than the one I gave it. So you could tyr adding another decal ext and see if that helps. Not ideal I don't think and I can't explain why that should happen.

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2017, 21:26
My signature has another decal extension (labelled 5E Quick Reference) if you want another example of code to look at.

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2017, 21:28
My signature has another decal extension (labelled 5E Quick Reference) if you want another example of code to look at.
Doh! I just noticed this is the thread I was talking about!!!

Nickademus
April 5th, 2017, 21:31

But, um, isn't that the one he's using. I mean... it's from this thread isn't it...

Nickademus
April 5th, 2017, 21:31
Doh! I just noticed this is the thread I was talking about!!!

Two minute facepalm. Not bad turnaround time.

Overdawg
April 5th, 2017, 21:34

I did use yours as a template and I removed all other extensions and tried it and no go and I added them back in and still could not see it.

LordEntrails
April 5th, 2017, 23:01
I did use yours as a template and I removed all other extensions and tried it and no go and I added them back in and still could not see it.
Can you upload or other share the extension you made? I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure anything out.

Overdawg
April 5th, 2017, 23:21
Can you upload or other share the extension you made? I'll take a look at it and see if I can figure anything out.

Thanks, here you go.

damned
April 6th, 2017, 06:44
The issue is you have used the path name graphics\decals in the XML but in the file structure you have used Graphics\Decal so you have both incorrect capitalisation and spelling. Computers require you to spell it right every time.

Overdawg
April 6th, 2017, 09:46
The issue is you have used the path name graphics\decals in the XML but in the file structure you have used Graphics\Decal so you have both incorrect capitalisation and spelling. Computers require you to spell it right every time.

I did catch the casing but somehow missed the S in decal. Thanks for everyone's help, this community is awesome.

Tigon
January 2nd, 2019, 11:17
Someone got a screen shot of what type of material/info this puts on the decals?

LordEntrails
January 2nd, 2019, 20:03
Someone got a screen shot of what type of material/info this puts on the decals?
It gives info on thing like combat and non-combat actions, conditions, modifiers etc. There are several styles to chose from depending upon what theme you are using, plus the original power point files you can modify etc. Here is a screen shot of one of the images;

Armandeus
April 6th, 2020, 08:11
The link on the first page is dead.

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2020, 18:35
The link on the first page is dead.
Thanks for letting me know. I've updated it to a Google Drive location. Please let me know if you have any trouble accessing it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vLKEErSi2GyhILhc7lVlKObvkdvlMew1

Armandeus
April 6th, 2020, 18:42
Thank you!

LordEntrails
January 24th, 2022, 23:06
Updated link. Since decals extensions are no longer supported, this is just the image files (that can be added via FGU decal functionality) as well I've added the Power Point files for anyone who wants to edit them and create their own.

Valyar
January 25th, 2022, 06:22
The link appears invalid.

LordEntrails
January 25th, 2022, 06:40
The link appears invalid.
That's because I failed miserably! I didn't actually update the link. I have now updated the first post, the link is https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bbwyuJIUdiFDTcG_EooNdq70dSVZoNzj?usp=sharing

mordkhaan
September 23rd, 2022, 21:32
That's because I failed miserably! I didn't actually update the link. I have now updated the first post, the link is https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bbwyuJIUdiFDTcG_EooNdq70dSVZoNzj?usp=sharing

That link takes you to a nice mp4 of a howly dog ;)

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2022, 22:17
That link takes you to a nice mp4 of a howly dog ;)
huh... It does.
Since FG no longer uses extensions for decals, let me re-vamp the first post to just attach the images themselves. The OP should be updated in the next 30 minutes :)

mordkhaan
September 23rd, 2022, 22:18
with howls too I hope! :D