PDA

View Full Version : Quick Character Build (15 minutes) for Fanasty Grounds 5E

rob2e
December 7th, 2015, 07:43
*** This is a re-post under a new title as titles are not editable? And I originally posted it under a title soliciting advice and it made no sense. People couldn't find it. ***

Step by step Fantasy Grounds 5E character creation… (should take approximately 12-20 minutes - depending on complexity)

Edit: This video might be slightly altered from the written instructions as new editions of the Fantasy Grounds VTT have made adjustments to the way things are done.

A video of this process -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3jKp3XfH4k (Updates to Fantasy Grounds have alterred the process slightly, but you'll get the idea.)

This assumes having the CORE PHB Module.

This is a basic character set of instructions. Modifications may need to be made based on class, race, and/or background selections...

Open Fantasy Grounds
Click on the "Library" button
In the new window, click on the "Create PC" button (this will adjust the buttons on the right side appropriately)
Close the "Library" window
Click on "PC" button (this will open the character selection window)
Choose “edit list” (brown circle)
Choose “add item” (green circle) - this will open a new character sheet
Close the character selection window

ON MAIN TAB (of the new character sheet)

Double click on Portrait (black square) to choose from portrait tokens
Type in the character's name on the name blank
Type in raw Ability scores by left clicking on each "10" and changing them to the appropriate number
Click on “Library” button, click on the "Modules" button and open PHB (and/or other sources you will use) then close the library window
Click on “Races” button
Drag (the link for) Race onto the race blank (you may or may not have to answer prompts) - this will adjust your ability scores according to racial bonuses
Close Races window
Click on “Backgrounds” button
Drag (the link for) Background onto the background blank
Close Backgrounds window
Click on “Classes” button
Drag (the link for) Class onto the class blank (you may or may not have to answer prompts) - this will adjust your hit points
Close the Classes window

(Click on the ) SKILLS TAB

Your skills should have filled in automatically when you chose your race and background

(Click on the ) ABILITIES TAB

If the character receives a feat at first level, click on the "Feats" button and drag the proper link onto the feats area - close Feats window
Choose additional languages (if applicable) by typing them in

(Click on the ) INVENTORY TAB

Find your “Class” description window and scroll to Equipment
Choose from the list (links provided) and drag all appropriate links for weapons, armor, adventuring gear, and tools onto your sheet
Drag all appropriate links for weapons, armor, adventuring gear, and tools onto the inventory area
Find your “Background” description window and scroll to “Proficiencies”
Add appropriate Background Equipment and money to inventory

(Click on the ) NOTES TAB

Type in Gender, Age, Height, Weight (as applicable)
Type in Alignment and deity (if applicable)
Find your “Background” window and scroll down to “Suggested Characteristics”
Use the four tables to create and…
Drag in Personality Traits
Drag in Ideals
Drag in Flaws
Drag in Bonds
Type in Appearance and Notes (as applicable)

(Click on the ) ACTIONS TAB

(If character has spells)
Click on the “Spells” button
Drag in the appropriate links for Cantrips and Spells

Barring coding of effects (check with your DM - this is a specialized process) you are done! Congratulations.

----

In addition to the 38+ pregens I made (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26203-5E-pre-gen-player-characters), I'm hoping this will help people be able to get into games with characters they build AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!

Zacchaeus has done quite masterful work on the 5E Character Sheet Wiki, but again, this post is designed for the QUICKIE character, as it were. PLAY NOW, study later.

Targas
December 7th, 2015, 07:46
And for more details, see the Wiki link below :-) ->
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet

pacio49
December 7th, 2015, 17:11
Thanks rob2e! I had already stumbled on the 'secret step' of inputting the raw ability scores first before pulling over Race, then Background, and then Class in that order to get all the correctly-stacked stat improvements. (Class is sort of irrelevant, the secret step is inputting the raw rolls prior to Race and Background).

The last thing I do as a DM for my PCs is go through the Abilities tab line by line and find any abilities that can be automated on the Actions Tab, and then build those out for the PCs. (Some of my players already figured out how to do this by themselves, in which case I just check their work). It adds another 5-10 minutes to the PC setup depending on starting level but the gamers seem to like the extra bits of automation for during play.

But thanks for writing all of this out. I can now point the players here for the checklist.

rob2e
December 7th, 2015, 19:13
ThanX pacio49. Yeah that reminds me to make a note about the fact that FG does not automate the +1 ability scores for choice (Helf-Elf, etc.). But the "secret step" ... :) Very important to do it in that order.

And of course the wiki is intensive and inclusive, but my version is more the down and dirty, "Let's play already" version. Ha!

TMO
December 8th, 2015, 05:59
I'm bookmarking this thread and making sure my players see it too. We've learned through trial-and-error that there is a proper order in order for things to work as well as possible, but having someone document it is much appreciated. Thanks rob2e!

Ltbadger
April 3rd, 2018, 02:10
Same I have bookmarked this for future use.

Thank you so much for this.

rob2e
April 3rd, 2018, 02:12
Same I have bookmarked this for future use.

Thank you so much for this.

I am honored that your FIRST POST was in response to this effort. lol

DwightLee
April 5th, 2018, 15:26
Very nice, just copied and saved ( and printed ) that list :)