PDA

View Full Version : DMG Dec 8th.

Dragontail
December 7th, 2015, 05:47
Well it is 5:45pm in Petropavlocsk-Kamchatskiy, Do i have to wait until it is 12am Dec 8th American time to buy the DMG 5e?

is what id ask if i lived there ;)

Zacchaeus
December 7th, 2015, 11:42
I suspect you might well have to :)

gandred
December 7th, 2015, 12:20
Could you suspect also for me (GMT+1)? :D :D

Dragontail
December 7th, 2015, 12:22
Is there an eager bird, I mean early bird special?

Redemption77
December 7th, 2015, 14:23
What we all need is some awesome man of extreme wealth to swoop onto the boards and buy us all a version of the DMG because its a nice thing to do. We will all then say thank you and go about using the DMG in all our games and the world will all make sense. Man living in a fantasy is a nice thing to do. In reality though Im opening my wallet as soon as i get the chance

FSHSchmo
December 7th, 2015, 16:52
What we all need is some awesome man of extreme wealth to swoop onto the boards and buy us all a version of the DMG because its a nice thing to do. We will all then say thank you and go about using the DMG in all our games and the world will all make sense. Man living in a fantasy is a nice thing to do. In reality though Im opening my wallet as soon as i get the chance

I was going to do this yesterday but it was not on sale :(

Nylanfs
December 7th, 2015, 17:09
And I believe you might have to wait until PST (UTC-8) to get it if you are waiting for the Steam version, both Doug and John are in the eastern time zone I believe (UTC-5) so the smiteworks store will probably be up for sale before it will on Steam. Unless they have a obligation to set both sale times to similar times.

gqwebb
December 7th, 2015, 19:47
Hum I'm so happy that it is Dec 7th. Shouldn't I be reflecting about something.... Nope can't think of anything else than the projected release date!!!! Its CHRISTMAS IN DECEMBER!! oh it is Christmas in December, but it is a few weeks early :)

spite
December 7th, 2015, 20:41
It's been the 8th for me for 10 hours now. WHAT IS THIS INJUSTICE!
I'm so very, very excited for this release, I'm sure you all understand :P

midas
December 7th, 2015, 20:44
I was going to do this yesterday but it was not on sale :(

I did this, but it adversely affected the timestream so I had to come back and stop myself from doing it. Sorry all.

rob2e
December 7th, 2015, 21:16
Ha. I'm assuming at or close to midnight Kentucky time for release?

Moon Wizard
December 7th, 2015, 21:18
It actually depends on when we get final approval for release from Wizards, so it will probably be during Pacific time zone. That's barring any changes they will require, which could potentially shift the release a day or two.

Don't worry, it's coming. ;)

JPG

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2015, 22:27
What!?!?!?

You're not just stringing us along waiting for some arbitrary time?

Ok... guess that means WotC still hasn't given their blessing (the fools!) but you are still hoping for it today.

Thanks for all you guys do. We will wait, if impatiently :)

Dragontail
December 7th, 2015, 23:07
Any delay in the release of the DMG will cause additonal damage to the characters! Party will be killed off and new campaign started without those magical items to protect them!

Morik
December 8th, 2015, 02:08
Tell the guys at Wizards to go ahead and approve it. I'm the president of WOTC. I don't want to answer a bunch of questions about me really being who I say I am. Just tell them to do it.

Think they'll buy it? hehe :)

Nylanfs
December 8th, 2015, 05:02
BOOM!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EDMG

ddavison
December 8th, 2015, 05:14
BOOM!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5EDMG

Our friends at Wotc came through for us and we were able to release as we hoped. I think we're starting to getting pretty good at this. :)

I just realized that Valve must have changed their policy and it was actually possible for me to push this live on Steam as well. You can buy it at either location. Here is the Steam link:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/422580/

Skellan
December 8th, 2015, 05:20
Bought :)
Thanks for the hard work on this

spite
December 8th, 2015, 05:21
Our friends at Wotc came through for us and we were able to release as we hoped. I think we're starting to getting pretty good at this. :)

I just realized that Valve must have changed their policy and it was actually possible for me to push this live on Steam as well. You can buy it at either location. Here is the Steam link:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/422580/

You're my hero!

kylania
December 8th, 2015, 05:44
Got it! Magic items are so much fun, shame I hate having too many. heh

Lobosolo
December 8th, 2015, 05:46
Awesome! Just downloaded it. Can't wait to check it out.

Any reason why the decals for the DMG and now the Sword Coast are cropped and show a black circle around them? Is this a glitch? The PHB and MM ones seem fine.

Dragontail
December 8th, 2015, 05:53
WHABAM out comes the credit card :)

JohnD
December 8th, 2015, 10:15
Thanks to the collective generosity of my players , I've just been able to purchase the 5E DMG. I didn't quite have the full amount, but it was really close. Thank you again.

GunnarGreybeard
December 8th, 2015, 11:19
WHABAM out comes the credit card :)
I'll be right behind you, later today.

Skellan
December 8th, 2015, 12:18
Thanks to the collective generosity of my players , I've just been able to purchase the 5E DMG. I didn't quite have the full amount, but it was really close. Thank you again.

Your players rock.

healdhj
December 8th, 2015, 12:38
My players are cheap, broke college students and my son. Good thing I have an awesome job so I can buy this for myself... and use with my ultimate license to make my games so much easier to run :)

oh look... update complete!

Edit:
:p Halberd Sun Blade +2 --> Because I can!

Xorn
December 8th, 2015, 13:42
Forged Holy Avenger (https://puu.sh/lNSKV/0806a8e24c.jpg)

*wipes a tear* It's so beautiful...

Random Treasure Hoard (https://puu.sh/lNSWF/5fdc33b4b6.jpg)

*shifty look* I'm... going to need some alone time...

Olodrin
December 8th, 2015, 13:45
I've been unable to use the forge; does it require the official DMG? I built my DMG with Par5e...

Xorn
December 8th, 2015, 13:52
You would need to make a template (such as Armor, +1), and then you drop the Armor you want from Equipment and the Template into the forge. I've never made a template of my own though, so I'm not sure of exactly how it should look.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Item_Sheet

Looks like there's a quick rundown on making template items there.

Olodrin
December 8th, 2015, 14:06
Indeed; it looks like Par5e dumped all the item templates under Magic Items, which is why the Forge doesn't recognize them. It works very well with the item templates from the purchased materials (HotDQ). Is there an option in Par5e to make item templates?

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 14:09
Indeed; it looks like Par5e dumped all that stuff (+1, Smiting, etc.) under Magic Items, which is why the Forge doesn't recognize them. It works very well with the item templates from the purchased materials (HotDQ). Is there an option in Par5e to make item templates?

No it doesn't have that option.

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 14:16
I've been unable to use the forge; does it require the official DMG? I built my DMG with Par5e...

As Xorn says you will have to create your own templates. See the screenshot below.

I created a 'Magic Sword' with a +1 bonus. That can then be dragged into the 'Templates' side of the Forge and then any weapon dragged into the 'equipment' side will allow for the creation of a +1 weapon.

Olodrin
December 8th, 2015, 14:48
fair enough

Szabtom
December 8th, 2015, 15:02
Bought. I am gonna roll random treasure like a boss.

Xorn
December 8th, 2015, 15:08
If you wanted to make your own DMG (the item part) then I would use an FG export instead of PAR5E (because PAR5E doesn't really do magic items well--they weren't defined by WotC well enough when PAR5E was still publicly developed).

Anyway, I'd go through and make a campaign called (DMG Item Templates) and then make each template in the Items window. After that I'd export them to a module. But expect to spend a looong time making those templates. :)

Skellan
December 8th, 2015, 15:09
Yeah, I have been linking treasure tables to the encounters now. I think it will be fun for the players to see how lucky they are

The Rouse
December 8th, 2015, 17:49
If you wanted to make your own DMG (the item part) then I would use an FG export instead of PAR5E (because PAR5E doesn't really do magic items well--they weren't defined by WotC well enough when PAR5E was still publicly developed).

Anyway, I'd go through and make a campaign called (DMG Item Templates) and then make each template in the Items window. After that I'd export them to a module. But expect to spend a looong time making those templates. :)

The way I look at it is Minimum Wage is $7.25. Even if you really really like coding and want to do the work, is your time you would have to take from other things (like actually playing the game and using the product, family, work etc) worth 25% of your hourly wage? If so, then you just have to figure out how many hours of coding would it cost you at $1.81 an hour (25% of $7.25) to equal the cost of just buying the book. So at $50, if you can recreate it in less than 27.62 hours (50 hours divided by $1.81=27.62 hours), then code it! If you are someone like me who hasn't learned to code and even if I could, my time is better spent doing other things, so I just buy the product.

JohnD
December 8th, 2015, 18:19
I'm a little disappointed the two example races from the DMG weren't included in the same manner as the ones in the PHB (i.e. drag/drop etc...). A missed opportunity unless this is going to be patched in later.

Zeus
December 8th, 2015, 18:35
I'm a little disappointed the two example races from the DMG weren't included in the same manner as the ones in the PHB (i.e. drag/drop etc...). A missed opportunity unless this is going to be patched in later.

Hmm. Missed those. I'll add them for the next update.

JohnD
December 8th, 2015, 19:29
Well I just made a backpack of holding. No big deal you might think, but there's some nice functionality in the Forge.

Danimal66
December 8th, 2015, 21:52
I'm on the fence about buying this. I keep the print version of the DMG in front of me while running my games and honestly I barely open it as a reference.

Besides what looks to be the incredible item forge, what else is in here that I might use.

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 22:06
I'm on the fence about buying this. I keep the print version of the DMG in front of me while running my games and honestly I barely open it as a reference.

Besides what looks to be the incredible item forge, what else is in here that I might use.

Some details here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27161-DMG-features)

Xorn
December 9th, 2015, 19:11
The way I look at it is Minimum Wage is $7.25. Even if you really really like coding and want to do the work, is your time you would have to take from other things (like actually playing the game and using the product, family, work etc) worth 25% of your hourly wage? If so, then you just have to figure out how many hours of coding would it cost you at $1.81 an hour (25% of $7.25) to equal the cost of just buying the book. So at $50, if you can recreate it in less than 27.62 hours (50 hours divided by $1.81=27.62 hours), then code it! If you are someone like me who hasn't learned to code and even if I could, my time is better spent doing other things, so I just buy the product.

I'm not sure how you setting on 25% in this equation. :) I keep it simple. How many hours do I have to work in order to pay for this (paying for someone else's time) versus how long it will take me (volunteering my time). If I was making minimum wage at 7 hours of my time I'm breaking even. If I was making minimum wage I guess I'd probably be examining my life choices, because I'm apparently comfortable with using PAR5E, meaning I should probably apply myself and get a better job. :)

However I don't make minimum wage--and unless I could recreate this module in an hour or so, I'd rather pay someone else to do it. :) Especially since they'll maintain/update it.

The Rouse
December 9th, 2015, 21:13
I'm not sure how you setting on 25% in this equation. :) I keep it simple. How many hours do I have to work in order to pay for this (paying for someone else's time) versus how long it will take me (volunteering my time). If I was making minimum wage at 7 hours of my time I'm breaking even. If I was making minimum wage I guess I'd probably be examining my life choices, because I'm apparently comfortable with using PAR5E, meaning I should probably apply myself and get a better job. :)

However I don't make minimum wage--and unless I could recreate this module in an hour or so, I'd rather pay someone else to do it. :) Especially since they'll maintain/update it.

I used 25% as a somewhat random, but conservative, estimate of what the bare minimum a person's time is worth on a dollar cost averaging scale. If you make more money, you need to be a faster coder for the cost of your time to recreate it to make sense. For guys like you and me, the decision is probably quite easy and $50 isn't a large enough sum of money to make doing the math worth it. But not everyone who plays this game or is a customer of fantasy grounds is fortunate enough to make the same income we do.

I'm not going to judge someone based on their income level. This is a popular game with members of the armed forces (at least it was when I was in). As a veteran, I can attest that lower enlisted ranks do not make very much money. A private E-2 with less than two-years on the military makes $1,733.88 per month. $50 is not an insignificant amount of money for these guys. In my opinion, they have made a great life choice, even though the pay is not significant. That's $10 an hour if they work only 40-hours a week. I guarantee they work more than 40-hours a week, so there are times they are well under minimum wage. Having said that, their free time can be at a premium and not coding all night when they have PT the next morning at 6:30 might make the purchase worth it.

Xorn
December 9th, 2015, 21:25
Actually they tell the people that they DM for, "Hey you lazy a-holes, everyone donate some money for the DMG."

(That's how I owned every Palladium book back in the day--my players would chip in and buy them so I'd run stuff for them.)

But I didn't consider armed forces, and you're right, that's a very large playerbase.

Dracones
December 9th, 2015, 23:59
This just isn't that expensive of a hobby when you consider the time vs money pay off. I bought Fallout 4 and got bored after 8 hours. Went to the movies and spent 30 bucks on tickets + food for 2 hours of entertainment. The books I buy in FG are going to give me years of gaming fun.

It's a pretty cheap hobby to be addicted to. Golf, scuba, shooting, and lots of other hobbies are going to cost you a DMG worth of money per session. Hiking, kayaking, biking can be pretty cheap(unless you have to pay park fees), but they can have a pretty big up front gear cost and my digital copy of the Savage Worlds ruleset hasn't "worn out" in over 4 years of use.

healdhj
December 10th, 2015, 00:36
Interesting where this topic has gone. For me, I'd rather praise the hard work of the devs, patience of the players, and the vision of WoTC to finally support good digital tools.

I'm happy with all of my purchases so far, and I'm lucky enough to be able to pay for the ultimate license to save my broke *** college student players. Also... I'm a disabled veteran to tie that discussion in too ��

Good job FG Staff!

Gadreun
December 12th, 2015, 09:41
Huge thankyou to Doug and the team for this tremendous fiddly work! hugely appreciated :)

ddavison
December 12th, 2015, 17:14
The majority of the effort was from Zeus (for development), Moon Wizard (for implementation in the 5E ruleset) and Zacchaeus for testing and quality control. I just helped with the product direction, like saying, "we need an item forge" and for coordinating with Wotc. :)

Gadreun
December 12th, 2015, 20:16
Well to Zeus, Moon Wizard and Zacchaeus, you guys are awesome! Doug nice direction :ninja:

ShadoWWW
December 16th, 2015, 12:28
I bought DMG module today, and it seems great! Best of all core modules. I will be diving in for next few days... :-)

I am impressed by the quality of images in the DMG module, they are just great! But not so impressed by the images in MM module. I and few my friends have 4K monitors, and images of monsters are too small or too blurred when I magnify the window with the image. Can you highten the images of monsters in MM module to the same quality like those in DMG module? Or let the GM decide if he or she wants to pop up to players a small picture (with slow internet connection) or a big picture (with 4K monitor). I also noticed there are missing some images in MM Reference Manual on those pages with fluff like page 5, 10 etc. from Monster Manual. Can you add them?

DMG module seems so great, and it is sad that MM module does not seem as great due to quality of the pictures. :-(

Zacchaeus
December 16th, 2015, 14:28
I have reported the missing images.

I can't say with certainty but the artwork in the paper MM, to me, looks pretty much the same quality that was included in the FG version.