PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Critical, Fumble, and Random Encounter Charts

Hecklerus Prime
December 7th, 2015, 03:17
Hello all! I'd like to share a few of the random tables I've created as part of my House Rules. Please feel free to use and critique as you see fit. We don't really play in 3.5e anymore, so I don't think there'll be any updates here beyond fixing any bugs that pop up. However, I have updated all of these to 5e and will be posting those shortly. I will update with a link to that post, so keep an eye out if you're interested. A summary of the tables and the rules required to use them is below.

Standard Critical/Fumble Chart

During a melee or ranged weapon attack, a natural 1 or a natural 20 prompts a critical or fumble check. This check is resolved by rolling 1d3.

On a critical, a result of a 1 or 2 resolves to a normal critical (confirmation roll and all, RAW) while a 3 generates a roll on the Critical Chart in addition to the normal critical. The effects of the Critical Chart result apply regardless of the confirmation roll. In essence, the confirmation roll determines if a damage multiplier is applied whereas the chart generates additional effects. In the case that a piece of armor is listed next to the table result, the stated effect is negated if the target is wearing that piece of armor. For example, a result of 33-Target Disarmed is negated if the armor worn by the target includes gauntlets or a shield.
On a fumble, a result of a 3 or 2 resolves into a miss while a 1 generates a roll on the Fumble Chart. There is no negating the Fumble Chart result.
If an Effect is vague or makes little sense in the situation, the DM should make every effort to assure that a Fumble produces a detrimental result and the a Critical produces a beneficial result with respect to the attacker.

Magic Fumble & Critical Charts

These tables require a certain instability be added to the Art of Magic. In game terms, perhaps the Gods of Magic are losing their ability to control the Weave, the Gods of Trickery decided to play a grand prank on the Realms, or magic is an unpredictable force and sometimes things happen...unexpectedly.

During combat or other high-stress situations (as determined by the DM), any attempt to cast a spell requires a d20 roll. On a natural 1 or a natural 20 the magical effect begins to surge wildly and the spellcaster must attempt to reign the forces in.
The spellcaster must make a caster level check vs. a DC equal to the spell save DC + 5. This means that a wizard specialized in Enchantment will push more energy into Enchantment spells, and so if they go awry it will be more difficult to pull the spell back under control. If the spell does not permit a save, calculate the DC as if it would have.
If the check is failed, the spellcaster must roll on the relevant Magical Critical/Fumble Chart. If a 20, the spell functions normally in addition to the Chart result. If a 1, the spell does not function normally and only the Chart result occurs.
Note that the d20 to cast is not required when using magic items such as scrolls, potions, wands, or the like; in the case of magic items, someone has already cast the entire spell, or enough of the spell that it cannot go awry. Only when the spellcaster is casting the spell should the d20 be rolled, and then only in combat or high stress situations.
If an Effect is vague or makes little sense in the situation, the DM should make every effort to assure that a Fumble produces a detrimental result and the a Critical produces a beneficial result with respect to the spellcaster.

Random Encounter Charts

There are 3 random encounter charts included: one each for a 3%, 6%, and 12% chance per hour of an encounter.

Each chart is rolled once per 8 hours.
If multiple encounters are made, the encounter happens randomly during the 8 hour span.
The table will also determine if the encounter is Threatening or Non-Threatening. A Threatening encounter can be resolved peacefully and a Non-Threatening encounter can become hostile, depending on PC actions. However, each is to begin as a clearly hostile or peaceful situation.
Threatening encounters will have additional rolls to determine if a there is a single foe or multiple foes, overall Encounter Level, and Awareness of each side. The DM will need to determine creature type and, if Multiple foes, the quantity.