PDA

View Full Version : 5E Item Issue

jreddin1
December 4th, 2015, 16:35
It's entirely possible I'm missing something here, and I apologize if this isn't in the right place.

Here is the issue: When giving an unidentified weapon to a character (drag and drop), it puts the item in the inventory, and shows the basic info. It does NOT allow the character to equip the item for use. When the item is subsequently identified, it doesn't show up in the actions and the player has no way to make it usable. The only way I've found is to have the character DELETE THE ITEM FROM THE CHARACTER, and then give it to them again (making sure it's identified first).

Is this a bug, or an I missing something?

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
December 4th, 2015, 17:53
It might not matter but for what ruleset?

You are correct in that an unidentified item can't be equipped or used in 5e. Keep it in the party inventory until it is identified and then give it to the player.

Moon Wizard
December 4th, 2015, 22:28
Yes, that's currently by design.

There's no way currently in the weapon entry to be able to hide information like the actual name vs. the unidentified name, or to turn on/off the bonuses based on whether the item is identified or not. So, those items are not automatically added to the Actions tab for those reasons.

As one of the updates in the near future, I've actually already identified this as something I'd like to address, but it takes some additional logic that doesn't currently exist. So, look for something in the next couple minor version releases.

Regards,
JPG

Brynnan
December 10th, 2015, 19:04
I would also like to add that Unidentified Item's true names are plainly exposed in the Party Inventory.
This screenshot is (obviously) the player view.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2015, 19:11
I can't see your screenshot yet but this isn't happening for me. Can you say what item this is happening for and is it one you created? Also do you have the option Item: Identification on or off?

Brynnan
December 10th, 2015, 21:39
I wonder why you can't see the screenshot, but maybe you just aren't where you can see it.

After a bit more testing, I found this:
When I drag over an item, it doesn't show up at all in either the player or the DM party inventory. Once the DM hits the button to refresh the list, it appears both on his list and the player list with it's True Name, even though it still is Unidentified. This originally was noticed with a (completely) custom item. I also tested with a DMG Magic Item and with a normal Equipment Item that I clicked the No ID button on. Performs the same on all. I do have Item:Identification ON. If it was OFF it would show up correctly named in the Player Inventory also. *(But you can't see the screenshot, so you couldn't tell)

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2015, 22:02
I can't see your screenshot becasue it is awaiting approval by a moderator.

However I see what you mean now and that is a bug. Normally I would keep unidentified items in the Party Inventory until they are identified. However it would seem that items are being identified by distributing to the party which shouldn't be happening. I will report this. Thanks for reporting.