PDA

View Full Version : Effects: -1 to all ability checks

SheckyS
December 3rd, 2015, 23:58
I'm trying to translate some rules for getting drunk into FG. So I am creating effects for certain levels of drunknenness and one of the effects is -1 to all skill checks and all ability checks, which are essentially the same thing in 5e.

I can't see any way to do that. It looks like the only way to modify skill checks or ability checks is with Advantage or Disadvantage.

Is there a way to do it that I am not seeing?

Andraax
December 4th, 2015, 00:14
Have you tried "ABIL: -1"? That's what it is in C&C. (If you want to do just one, say strength, you can do "ABIL: -1 strength".)

SheckyS
December 4th, 2015, 00:19
Have you tried "ABIL: -1"? That's what it is in C&C. (If you want to do just one, say strength, you can do "ABIL: -1 strength".)

That doesn't work for 5e. It lead me to find that there is an effect for "CHECK", but I can't seem to make it work. Not sure what the syntax is for specifying an ability and a modifier together.

Andraax
December 4th, 2015, 00:47
Looks like "CHECK" works in 5e exactly like "ABIL" works in C&C. Just tested it, "CHECK: -1" will subtract -1 from any ability check.

SheckyS
December 4th, 2015, 00:48
Looks like "CHECK" works in 5e exactly like "ABIL" works in C&C. Just tested it, "CHECK: -1" will subtract -1 from any ability check.

Yeah, got it working. Apparently, spaces matter. I have a space between the colon and the minus sign. :-P

Zacchaeus
December 4th, 2015, 14:58
Yeah, got it working. Apparently, spaces matter. I have a space between the colon and the minus sign. :-P

It shouldn't matter whether you have a space or not CHECK:-1 or CHECK: -1 both work. In fact you could put a dozen spaces in there and it would still work :)

SheckyS
December 4th, 2015, 17:57
It shouldn't matter whether you have a space or not CHECK:-1 or CHECK: -1 both work. In fact you could put a dozen spaces in there and it would still work :)

Well... I suppose it's possible I am mistaken, but I am pretty sure I had a space in there and it didn't work and then I deleted the space and it worked. Anyway, I got it working, so now my characters can get drunk and that's the important thing. :-P