PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 3.5 Gestalt Psionics game

Rogue
December 3rd, 2015, 18:35
FG License: Ultimate
Game System: D&D 3.5

Time Zone: Eastern, USA GMT-5
Day of week and time: Saturdays at noon
If new game, planned start date: As soon as I get a good party together-Definite date set to January 9th, 2016
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: Long Term

Text or Voice: Voice only
Voice software used: Teamspeak

Roleplay & Combat mix:25/75
Number of Players in game & needed: Have one player, need about 5 or 6 more
Character starting level & equipment: Level 1 with max gold for class. Hit points are also maxed at each level.
Character restrictions: This is going to be a different type of gestalt. Not only will you be one class, but also one PSIONIC class as well. Gestalt rules can be found in 3.5 Unearthed Arcana.

Details: Make sure to look up the Gestalt rules and look them over. Then choose one normal class, and one Psionic class, and gestalt them together. You do not HAVE to be Psionic, but it is strongly recommended. Any questions, by all means please feel free to ask.

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1724

thomasdarkrose
December 3rd, 2015, 19:25
Ohhh this sounds like fun. I'd be interested in joining up. Timezone and time slot are perfect. If you'll have me I would love to discuss character options, I understand the concept of gestalt just never played one before.

Rogue
December 3rd, 2015, 19:28
Sure! I'm currently in the FG TeamSpeak, so if you have time, join me there.

thomasdarkrose
December 4th, 2015, 03:17
Heya, I have a fun idea for a character that might be pretty cool. Next time you're around and can chat on voice let me know, I'd like to go over it a little with you, it might need some tiny DM rulings. But I think you'll agree with my conclusions.

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 4th, 2015, 23:13
Ah, you finally made the post... I'll be sure to "apply" for the game.

For anyone interested to know what class I'll at least start with, I'll be a Psion/Rogue.
Will be multiclassing between the standard classes like there is no tomorrow, while keeping to Psion.

thomasdarkrose
December 4th, 2015, 23:34
Heya C0pper, If I haven't annoyed Rogue with all my questions I'll be playing a Warblade/Soulknife and prestige-ing the crap out of Warblade with a focus on throwing the Mind Blades. I'm going to be a mini Gambit (from X-Men). Cause Gnomes are short. Looking foreword to this game.

Taonna
December 5th, 2015, 08:16
I'd love to get in on this game if there is still room

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 5th, 2015, 11:03
Heya C0pper, If I haven't annoyed Rogue with all my questions I'll be playing a Warblade/Soulknife and prestige-ing the crap out of Warblade with a focus on throwing the Mind Blades. I'm going to be a mini Gambit (from X-Men). Cause Gnomes are short. Looking foreword to this game.

Sounds like fun... gonna be interesting to see how that pans out... Psions by them selves are quite nasty adding a 2nd class to them and you got powerhouse :P

thomasdarkrose
December 5th, 2015, 12:22
True enough! I had another idea for a Dhampir style character that is capable of killing anything it can't charm, and likes to swap between different caster aspects. Half-Vampire Template, with Vampire Bloodline (Major) and planning to buy both off over time, so leveling would slow down a bit. Worth it.
Rogue, Chameleon, Invisible Blade / Psion (Telepath), Thrallherd
Lose 2 levels of Psion, gain Arcane or Divine (Choose each day) up to 6th level spells.

I've never made a Gestalt before, I'm kind of going insane thinking of ideas.

Taonna
December 5th, 2015, 17:48
As of right now I'll migh be running a cleric/psion in to thrallherd, and that may change i'm all over the board with indecision right now

thomasdarkrose
December 5th, 2015, 21:15
I never thought Gestalt would be harder to decide on than a regular character.

Taonna
December 5th, 2015, 21:30
It for sure is its the equivalent of 2 characters

thomasdarkrose
December 5th, 2015, 21:37
There's also the choice of "Hey, do I just go for ridiculous amounts of power like a Wizard/Psion, or do I use classes and prestige classes to try and build an awesome themed character?"
Like the ultimate backstabber with levels in Pixie, Rogue, Rogue PrC's / Soulknife to gain Flight and Permanent invisibility from Pixie, and tons of damage from Sneak attack and Psychic Strike? Cause, oh yeah, I'm permanently invisible and can fly, so every attack is a sneak attack, have a mind? here! Take more damage from Psychic strike too!
Too many ideas!

Taonna
December 5th, 2015, 21:52
Keep in mind all things are subject to approval

thomasdarkrose
December 5th, 2015, 21:53
Of course. But still the ideas come.

Taonna
December 5th, 2015, 21:56
Well I'm a picky player I preffer to build a character out once I know what part of the party is going to be so I can plug holes in our "defenses and offense" So let me know what you actually deiced on making

thomasdarkrose
December 10th, 2015, 01:17
Alright, I am officially playing a Dark (Template) Whisper Gnome Warblade/Soulknife who enjoys throwing things at people to kill them from the shadows before they can see the knife flying at their throat. At least it will be a knife until he can throw his Mind Blades at people. Then he becomes Gambit. Hope we hit level 2 fast. lol.

MikeParham
December 10th, 2015, 02:25
This sounds interesting to me as well. If there is a spot remaining, I'm working on a Zen Archer / Vitalist concept using an Elan for race. I'd like the opportunity to chat about the campaign and character development if Rogue is interested.

thomasdarkrose
December 10th, 2015, 19:26
Unless I'm missing something aren't Zen Archer and Vitalist Pathfinder classes? I'm sure they're based on something in 3.5, just not sure what. Still, if Rogue is allowing or wanting Pathfinder classes too that sounds like a pretty neat idea. I don't think we actually have any kind of healer yet so that seems very helpful to the whole group as well.

MikeParham
December 10th, 2015, 22:29
Indeed you are right! I'll need to make a change in that! Will look again and see what I can come up with. :-)

Looking into a Druid (Shapeshifter variant) / Ardent

thomasdarkrose
December 10th, 2015, 23:47
If you shape shift into a bear can my gnome ride you while throwing waves of Mind Blades at things?
You could even be an armored bear throwing lightning bolts at things at the same time!

gaara6666
December 11th, 2015, 06:50
psion is one thing. but book of nine swords aka tome of battle is just OP lol

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 11th, 2015, 17:49
I've never made a Gestalt before, I'm kind of going insane thinking of ideas.
Now you know how many players feel.
Gestalt tends to scare some players away because character creation is daunting enough as it is, and to keep track of all that information is hard,
and then suddenly, with Gestalts, you add yet another layer to the already confusing system.
And even if 1 of the classes are limited to only psionic classes, it still makes it quite daunting.
I feel sorry for those who decide to go via this path:
Druid/Psion 1>5
Cleric/Psion 6>10
Wizard/Psion 11>15
Bard/Psion 16>20
Imagine keeping track of all those spells O_O

__________________________________________________ ____________

As for those of you who play and still pop by this thread to read and just to keep track;
I'll play a Chaotic Evil slash Chaotic Neutral Synad Psion/Rogue worshiping Vecna, Wee Jas and Nerull
But he is not murderous. He is actually a quite cheerful fellow who revels in a bit of evil, hence the alignment.

And since Psion's main attribute is Int, that is a perfect Synergy for the skill bonus from the Rogue.
However, he will NOT be very charismatic. So don't rely on his people skills.
And if we gonna use a point buy system, you can damn well bet his CHA will be somewhere around 6 to 9 points tops.

As of writing this, i'll go create as much of the character as possible - At least the parts that don't rely on attribute points.
Mostly doing this because I'm actually very slow at making characters already.

If any of you have questions regarding Psions, feel free to ask me, i pop by this thread every evening before bed, just to keep myself informed of any changes or the like.
As of writing this, the time is now 6:44 pm (12h) on a Friday, and i'm about to go into movie mode and watch a ton of movies, drink some rice and eat some cola... or something along those lines.

thomasdarkrose
December 11th, 2015, 18:14
Last I spoke to Rogue the game was point buy with 60 points.
You can use https://www.myth-weavers.com/pointbuy.html and the D&D 3.5e option to set up your stats for that total.

On a side note I don't think Rogue is allowing evil characters. Unless you've gotten permission from her, then don't mind me.

As for my going insane, the idea of Gestalt doesn't scare me, and the creation of characters is one of my favorite things. I was going insane thinking of all the possibilities. All the choices and freedom. Do I go for ultimate power and become a Wizard/Psion and just wreak massive destruction as a god? Do I become a Warblade/Psychic Warrior to be the ultimate martial master? Or how about fun concepts like what I chose? Warblade/Soulknife who will be focusing on throwing his Mindblade at people in massive numbers. I even have a Dhampir concept, a Half-Vampire that starts as a Rogue/Psion (telepath) and eventually takes all 10 Levels of Chameleon to be the ultimate flexible party member who can take up any role that needs some help for the day, to always be able to contribute meaningfully, not to mention triple casting as a Cleric/Wizard/Psion. Though Cleric/Wizard will be limited to 6th and lower.

So yeah, not daunted by fear of choice, daunted by the sheer amount of flexibility, freedom, and the damned cool things we can do to make truly awesome and unique characters to perform amazing feats within Rogue's world and create a story unlike any other we've participated in.

To anyone reading this thread and thinking of joining up. It looks like we could still use some form of healing and possibly a front line fighter type. Not sure how up close and personal some of the others want to get with their characters, but mine will tend to be 20-30 feet away from melee at all times. Preferably hiding in some shadows. I guess what we need depends on how the druid intends to contribute, could be a front line or healer as a druid. Maybe both? Front line fighter that heals himself.

If anyone wants help with a concept I'd be more than happy to offer any advice or insight I can give to help you make the character you want to play.

I will stop rambling for now. Hope more people become interested in this game.

Taonna
December 11th, 2015, 23:03
Currently i'm working on a dread necromancer/wilder (kinda mekee focused) or psion, May end up changing to like wizard/psion or cleric/psion just cause I love spells.

MikeParham
December 12th, 2015, 02:31
The Druid will be named Aslan... take from that what you may :-)

thomasdarkrose
December 12th, 2015, 03:07
The Druid will be named Aslan... take from that what you may :-)

*has images of a Gnome riding a lion while throwing massive barrages of mind blades...*
Yeah... yeah that's awesome....

MikeParham
December 13th, 2015, 06:54
*has images of a Gnome riding a lion while throwing massive barrages of mind blades...*
Yeah... yeah that's awesome....

Love the image.. just hope the poor Gnome wont get shaken as the lion fearlessly carries him towards the center of the battle :-)

To answer one of your earlier questions, Aslan's Druid/Ardent configuration is designed to be a front-line tank/healer.

thomasdarkrose
December 13th, 2015, 10:19
*automatically reworks his character to start taking points in the Ride skill*
I don't think it will be an issue... Aslan would count as a well trained war mount right?

So This is what the group looks like so far.
Me - Warblade/Soulknife
Taonna - Dread Necromancer/Wilder
Copper - Rogue/Psion
Mike - Druid/Ardent

So far that looks like a relatively well rounded group.
Me and Copper can do scouting (My hide/move silently are +24/+18 respectively).
Mike is looking like a self healing tank.
And everyone can do damage.

I'd feel better with another healer, or someone who can do buffs so we don't need heals as much/at all.

Taonna
December 13th, 2015, 11:02
Mine is still up in the air no promises cause if the evil thing is a over bad thing dread necromancer is kinda out

thomasdarkrose
December 13th, 2015, 11:05
I know Rogue is sick right now so she might take a bit to get back, but when I was speaking with her about my character I remember her saying "No evil characters". I could be mistaken but I don't think I am. And if you pick something else I'll just edit my post. Looking foreword to seeing what you come up with.

Squeak
December 13th, 2015, 12:57
Hi

I am thinking about applying for this game. If it would fit in with the party, my current idea is a Wizard/Psion character that would initially focus on buffing/disabling with a more BOOM-BOOM style as time goes on.

Squeak

thomasdarkrose
December 13th, 2015, 13:02
Hi Squeak!
Sounds awesome, Wizard buff, Psion BOOM. Works!
Not to mention that you will be over powered as hell later on.

Squeak
December 13th, 2015, 13:35
Thanks for the encouragement TDR.

I have played Wizards in 5e, although not in 3.5 or Pathfinder, and it seems that for quite a while crowd-control and buffing is the most effective way to contribute in a party. Psion is an obvious choice to combo with Wizard due to the INT overlap and flexibility, although (as always) the low HP is going to be annoying...

thomasdarkrose
December 13th, 2015, 13:53
Well, I'm pretty knowledgeable about Psions up to about level 5. They can actually be really tough to defeat. It depends on which Discipline you decide to go with. My personal favorite is Egoist (Psychometabalism). Later on in it you can shapeshift into creatures and take some of their abilities and use them. Can be pretty ridiculous at times. Or Shaper (Metacreativity) to summon and control a construct to fight for you.

If you'd like to talk about it more, let me know. Can give you a pretty good rundown of Wizards and Psions in 3.5e.

MikeParham
December 13th, 2015, 16:06
With the limited healing that Aslan will be able to provide while serving also as the main tank, the addition of a combat construct to siphon off some of the damage would be greatly appreciated. :-)

thomasdarkrose
December 13th, 2015, 16:57
Well, the astral construct is definitely pretty awesome. Not truly useful as anything more than a damage absorption at level 1. But after a few levels it can get pretty wicked. The Psionic Minor Creation though is always useful. Giant gaping pit? Take a few minutes and make a bridge for everyone to walk over it.
Of course, shapeshifting into an 8 headed hydra and launching a 3d6 fire/cold attack from each head every 1d4 rounds up to 3 times. Or shift into a Annis Hag to be a bit of a melee monster. I guess it all comes down to preferred play style though. Could always hit Telepathy and just dominate the BBEG.

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 14th, 2015, 16:44
Currently i'm working on a dread necromancer/wilder (kinda mekee focused) or psion, May end up changing to like wizard/psion or cleric/psion just cause I love spells.
Evil characters not allowed, just to let you know, so.... Re-roll?
As far as i remember, the Dread Necro' MUST be evil alignment.
Words from Rogue: "No Evil !"

As for me....

Well, Since i was told "NO EVIL !" by rogue, i'll trash my previous character and start again...

Which means that for the psionic class, i might not be Psion anyways, and as for the other class, also not sure...
gonna dig into my 40+ D&D 3.5 hard copy books and see what fun stuff i can find...

Or maybe i'll empower one of my very old characters...
I'll let you guys know ASAP, what i'll play...

Taonna
December 14th, 2015, 18:50
Dread necro is any non good but rerolling anywayz as the theme leads toward evil

gaara6666
December 14th, 2015, 19:59
Man this is so great. Everything I expected out of a psion gestalt player base. ALL MECHANICS and virtually no backstory talk. No RP Value discussed just baseline party rolls and munchkinning. This is why I am so glad to announce that Rogue has instated me as your endgame boss designer. I was glad to see my expectations were met and that your final boss hand designed by me will be something to fix that nasty little powergamer habit.

Taonna
December 14th, 2015, 21:36
Hey now assuming just because I enjoy the mechanics section of the game, that I won't have a backstory of some sort is kinda mean.

gaara6666
December 14th, 2015, 22:01
Well I am your main villain XD

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 14th, 2015, 23:14
Hey now assuming just because I enjoy the mechanics section of the game, that I won't have a backstory of some sort is kinda mean.

I second that.
All my characters i make have background stories.

Just because i don't share it here does NOT mean it does not have it...
"Don't ever assume anything about anything." - One of the few bests advice i have ever been told...

Anyways, Character classes and design currently in the air... it's now 12 mins past midnight, will think about my character tomorrow.
What IS for certain is that the character will be a psion, more then that, i don't know yet.

thomasdarkrose
December 15th, 2015, 00:44
I'm pretty sure all the characters will have backrounds and will have unique personalities and quirks that make them all special. In most D&D games I've ever been in the initial discussions are always about who will play what, what roles the players would like to take on and how they all fit together mechanically. And then the backgrounds come into play and the characters start to interact with each other and who knows what's going to happen beyond that point? The build I intend to go with is kind of gimmicky more than over powered. He pretty much does just one thing, but he does it pretty well.

I can tell you about my characters RP if you like, but I was saving it for when we actually start playing so I don't spoil any of the surprise of the character and how he develops based on the situations we get into. I'm pretty sure all of the players here feel the same way.

If I really wanted to power game I'd play a Rakshasa/Ardent with the Magic Mantle. Immunity to all spells and powers below level 8 by level 14? Now THAT'S over powered. Maybe I'll play that if my Gnome dies and you want broken characters.

Also, I should point out Rogue has said she wants this to be a high powered campaign so it would be kind of foolish for us not to at least try to build characters with a little bit of power or synergy between their two base classes.

MikeParham
December 15th, 2015, 03:08
I'm thinking that gaara6666 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?19786-gaara6666) has just been having a bit of teasing fun with his statements, just to enjoy the feedback.

I was curious however if indeed savage species content was/is actually allowed. I'd assumed that it wasn't, along with ToB and BoED.

Taonna
December 15th, 2015, 04:42
Well as it stands I have a number of ideas any of which would be fun to play. but I'm gonna play it by ear and see what the rest of the party aside from the 2 that have decided on characters at least.

gaara6666
December 15th, 2015, 06:50
It was only a playful tease but cmoooooon Warblade...ironheart surge. THAT IS BROKEN

jasonthelamb
December 15th, 2015, 09:52
Man this is so great. Everything I expected out of a psion gestalt player base. ALL MECHANICS and virtually no backstory talk. No RP Value discussed just baseline party rolls and munchkinning. This is why I am so glad to announce that Rogue has instated me as your endgame boss designer. I was glad to see my expectations were met and that your final boss hand designed by me will be something to fix that nasty little powergamer habit.

"You all minmax, so I will out minmax all of you."

thomasdarkrose
December 15th, 2015, 12:07
Yeah Ironheart surge is pretty awesome. But I wont be a warblade past level 5, so even though I will have it I wont have tons of uses of it. Mostly I took Warblade to meet pre-reqs.
As for savage species, I don't know if it is allowed or not. I was just making a point. There are far more powerful things that a Warblade who likes throwing Mind Blades.

Rogue
December 15th, 2015, 12:16
Hey guys! I am feeling better, and am currently on teamspeak. will probably be on all day. So, I am hearing a lot of good ideas, and a lot of munchkin but that's ok. I intend this to be a very high powered game, and am working on the maps for said campaign right now. Building them myself with CC3+.

thomasdarkrose
December 15th, 2015, 15:34
Hey Rogue, a high powered game sounds like a blast, especially with these fine folks. Just don't throw a Dracolich at us right off. I don't mind dying, I just prefer not to be outright murdered. :P
Quick questions:
You said no Evil characters, can we then ignore evil requirements on classes/prestige classes?
Is there any banned material? I remember you saying something about Eberron, but what about Savage species or other books?

I can't remember if there was anything else.

Oh! Will there be time allotted for crafting psionic/magical items or will they be easy to find/buy as we go along?
If there's no time to craft, no point in crafting feats.

Rogue
December 16th, 2015, 15:14
Anything from Eberron is exiled to the netherworld, Savage species is also banned. There will be plenty of crafted materials along the way, but barely any time or place for crafting.

Rogue
December 16th, 2015, 15:20
ok, just to let everyone know. This is a combat oriented game. you will be in the Underdark, on the run, chased, and trying to make your way towards the surface. Roleplay will be minimal, at best. Once you reach the surface, however, things will slow down... a little.

Rogue
December 16th, 2015, 16:04
the game will officially start on January ninth.
I might plan a get together before then, but with the holidays coming up and everything I might not be around much.

Squeak
December 16th, 2015, 23:28
Can I check how +LA is dealt with - is it a straight level reduction compared to LA 0 races or are the 'buy-off' XP rules allowed?

thomasdarkrose
December 17th, 2015, 00:05
Well, hopefully since level adjustment buy off is from Unearthed Arcana and we're using Traits and Flaws from the same book level buy off is allowed, because I would really like to buy off my +1 at level 3 so I can (potentially) make it to level 20 instead of level 19.

Either way I am really looking foreword to this and the 9th can't get here soon enough!!

Squeak
December 17th, 2015, 10:22
Well, hopefully since level adjustment buy off is from Unearthed Arcana and we're using Traits and Flaws from the same book level buy off is allowed, because I would really like to buy off my +1 at level 3 so I can (potentially) make it to level 20 instead of level 19.

Either way I am really looking foreword to this and the 9th can't get here soon enough!!

Are you playing a Whisper Gnome as I was considering that too? If so isn't that LA 0 or are you using a template or something in addition?

thomasdarkrose
December 17th, 2015, 11:02
Are you playing a Whisper Gnome as I was considering that too? If so isn't that LA 0 or are you using a template or something in addition?

Definitely playing a Whisper Gnome, all that Gnomish goodness with a 30 foot movement. But I'm taking the Dark Template on top of it to enhance his attributes.
Honestly there's been a lot of debate on whether or not the Dark template should even be an LA +1 or an LA +0. I don't actually get a whole lot from it, but it's a cool template and I'm willing to pay the LA Buy off for it.
So Dark (template) Whisper Gnome Warblade/Soulknife
The dark template makes even more sense now that I know we're going to be in the Underdark, almost makes me wish I had picked Drow.

If this guy dies my next character will be a Whisper Gnome too. I got a pretty hilarious idea to make a tiny brute. xD A Gnome that uses Reduce Person to become tiny and then terrorizes the enemies he comes up against from within their own square. The little ankle stabber will be a real bastard.

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 17th, 2015, 19:38
Definitely playing a Whisper Gnome, all that Gnomish goodness with a 30 foot movement. But I'm taking the Dark Template on top of it to enhance his attributes.
Honestly there's been a lot of debate on whether or not the Dark template should even be an LA +1 or an LA +0. I don't actually get a whole lot from it, but it's a cool template and I'm willing to pay the LA Buy off for it.
So Dark (template) Whisper Gnome Warblade/Soulknife
The dark template makes even more sense now that I know we're going to be in the Underdark, almost makes me wish I had picked Drow.

If this guy dies my next character will be a Whisper Gnome too. I got a pretty hilarious idea to make a tiny brute. xD A Gnome that uses Reduce Person to become tiny and then terrorizes the enemies he comes up against from within their own square. The little ankle stabber will be a real bastard.

What do you get the "Dark" template from?
Don't think i ever heard of it...

thomasdarkrose
December 17th, 2015, 21:12
What do you get the "Dark" template from?
Don't think i ever heard of it...

It's from Tome of Magic, pg 161

"Dark" is an acquired or inherited template that can be added any creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Dark creatures tend to be much duller in color, with more gray and black skin tones and hair highlights, than their Material Plane versions. In general, they also weigh less, as if part of their very substance was mere shadow stuff.

A dark creature has all the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: Type and size are unchanged. Dark creatures encountered away from the Plane of Shadow have the extraplanar subtype.

Speed: As base creature, +10 feet to all modes of movement.

Special Qualities: A dark creature retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following.

Darkvision 60 ft.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Use the Hide skill even while being observed (except in natural daylight, the area of a daylight spell, or a similar effect).
Resistance to cold 10.
Superior low-light vision.
Skills: Same as the base creature, plus Hide +8 and Move Silently +6.

Environment: Changes to Plane of Shadow.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature or same as base creature +1; see below.

Alignment: Usually one step different from the base creature, rarely good.

Level Adjustment: +1

It's actually a really nice template. I'd get more from it as a human than as a Gnome, but it's still pretty cool. If anyone intends to play a Rogue the Dark Template is especially useful for any race. With it I've got a Hide of +24 and a Move Silently of +18, combine that with the Hide In Plain Sight from the Dark Template and you've got an excellent scout. I've wanted to use the Dark Template for a long time. Now I get the chance to!

Rogue
December 18th, 2015, 14:16
Hey guys, we are having a character nail down and creation get together tomorrow. Also at this time, we will be voting on wether to keep this game in 3.5 or go with Pathfinder. There is a very decent website that has all the pathfinder information on it, and it can be found at www.d20pfsrd.com . Unfortunately 3.5 website info does not match the books and is confusing. There is also Mythweavers, where you can keep track of your character sheet. This can be found at www.myth-weavers.com. See you guys tomorrow!

Squeak
December 18th, 2015, 15:55
Thanks for this - what sort of time were you thinking of? (I am from the UK so GMT +0)

Also can I check that if we can use the LA buy off rules: https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm

I am trying to make a decent Warblade/Psion, but the lack of Darkvision is a major pain in the rear (until level 5 when I can can the psionic Darkvision ability) as Human seems the obvious choice. Now taking something like a "Dark" template would solve the Darkvision issue but I am not sure it is worth being an entire level behind later on unless I can use the buy-off rules.

thomasdarkrose
December 18th, 2015, 19:52
I'm okay with using pathfinder, but I'm more familiar with 3.5e
I'll end up building a very different character though if we switch to Pathfinder. I look foreword to talking to you tomorrow and seeing where we go from here.

Rogue
December 18th, 2015, 21:08
It will be at noon EST, normal game time. GMT-5

MikeParham
December 19th, 2015, 02:16
I've no problem with Pathfinder, but in that system my character build would also be quite different. Nonetheless, now knowing that a significant part of the start of the game will be spent in combat within the Underdark, I too will need to make some adjustments in my current character concept to account for the enduring amount of darkness and such denizens as drow.

thomasdarkrose
December 19th, 2015, 02:43
I'd suggest anyone who didn't pick a race with Darkvision seriously consider taking the Dark template (If we stick to 3.5). Or find another LA+0 or LA+1 template to get Darvision from. Too bad it can't be gotten from a Feat (as far as I know).
If we do switch to Pathfinder I'm not really sure what advice to give. I don't even know how LA works in that game.

Taonna
December 19th, 2015, 06:08
I prefer pathfinder but either is fine

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 19th, 2015, 14:59
I'd suggest anyone who didn't pick a race with Darkvision seriously consider taking the Dark template (If we stick to 3.5). Or find another LA+0 or LA+1 template to get Darvision from. Too bad it can't be gotten from a Feat (as far as I know).
If we do switch to Pathfinder I'm not really sure what advice to give. I don't even know how LA works in that game.
LA works mostly the same way.

Pathfinder and 3.5 aren't as different from one another as say, 3.5 to 4e, which as huge difference :P

I would say/claim that 3.0, 3.5 and pathfinder are highly compatible with one another. But a safe bet would be to keep it to one game unless the GM/DM Allows otherwise.

And for those from GMT +0 - The session starts at 5pm, where as for me who lives in a GMT +1 Timezone, the session starts at 6PM.

I have yet to make my character due to honestly being lost to what to make.
So hope to see you guys there.

Squeak
December 19th, 2015, 17:25
Er, nevermind......

Rogue
December 19th, 2015, 17:27
its FG's TeamSpeak, and I'm all the way down near the bottom.

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 20th, 2015, 14:55
Just to make it clear for some people, I'll be playing a Dwarven Soulbolt/Marksman, Name will be shared in game. So see you next Saturday for some random conversation and also the 9th for when our game actually starts.

thomasdarkrose
December 20th, 2015, 15:05
I am officially a Human Monk/Aegis.
Last I knew I will be our main front line tank. I know two of you other players also intended to be tanks with some other abilities to help out. Keep me alive... please?!
I'll focus on making myself a disgustingly hard wall to topple while Bull rushing and tripping for some control. And using my massive fists and smelly feet of JUSTICE! to defeat foes, or at least occupy their attention until real damage dealers decimate them.
I'm excited for this game and looking foreword to the challenge. But... just to be safe... I'm working on an alternate character.
EXCITED!

Squeak
December 21st, 2015, 03:06
I think I am going to be either a Aasimar Paladin//Wilder or a Cleric//Psychic Warrior. (Thanks to the people that recommended Aasimar!)

I think I prefer the Paladin//Wilder, and primarily mentioned the Cleric/Psychic Warrior so as to help out the other healer in the party, but am not that comfortable being the sole healer. If someone else could pick a backup healing class (or people can get some healing from psionics) that would be really nice....

thomasdarkrose
December 21st, 2015, 07:27
I believe Taonna said he would be playing a Cleric/Vitalist and I believe Mike is going with Monk/Vitalist using the Lifeleech Archetype. Which seems like a pretty awesome combination.
So we have:
Dwarf Soulbolt/Marksmen - Ranged Damage (Copper)
Human Monk/Aegis - Melee Main-Tank (Me)
Aasimar Monk/Vitalist - Melee Off-Tank/Backup Healer (Mike)
Cleric/Vitalist - Healer/Buffer/Damage/Off-Tank (Taonna)

So Squeak you can play either one and I think it will be pretty awesome. Either way we get a little extra healing and buffs as well as contribution to melee.

Squeak
December 21st, 2015, 09:06
Thanks for the info TDR.

As there are a couple of healing types already, I'll probably go for a Paladin//Wilder character - that should bring some secondary healing to the party from both classes.

thomasdarkrose
December 21st, 2015, 09:10
I try to keep up to date on who's doing what. Keeps a good picture of what's going to happen when we get started. I'm already trying to think of, or find, an excellent replacement for my Monk/Aegis, in case he dies.
Now we have:
Human Monk/Aegis - Melee Main-Tank (Me)
Cleric/Vitalist - Healer/Buffer/Damage/Off-Tank (Taonna)
Aasimar Paladin/Wilder - Off Tank/Off Heals/Damage (Squeak)

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 21st, 2015, 11:06
As far as Rogue Said, or more like what i understood, we'll have another "Meet-together" yet again on this up-coming Saturday.
It's optional and just for chiseling out the last parts and just to meet up and ramble about random stuff.

As for me, i'll be there on Saturday, and can be found on the Teamspeak server often.

I'm almost done with the background for my character. At least of how he discovered his abilities and why he chose to become an adventurer.
Only the GM will get to read the actual Background, but everyone else will haft to ask the Dwarf... If he feels like sharing.

Se you either during the week or on Saturday or at the very least, the 9th.

May the carrot be with you ;)

Taonna
December 21st, 2015, 21:27
Ummmm IDK why you think i'm a cleric/vitalist I was working on the arcane caster/trapfinder

thomasdarkrose
December 22nd, 2015, 00:26
Doh! I guess I got you confused with Squeak. My bad. Hard to keep it all straight.

MikeParham
December 24th, 2015, 01:49
In practicing with the Telekinetic monk /vitalist combo I am running into a problem with melee damage as the TM can only flurry at range (and a bit of extra MAD as CHA is required for some tele powers). Thinking of resolving this in one of three ways: (1) Replacing Vitalist with Sacred fist still provides healing, but also permits melee flurry (and no CHA req); (2) Sacred Fist / Tactician - adds a bit of flavor to the collective but req investing in INT (keeps dual collective going); or PsyWar (possibly Meditant) / Vitalist - allows for better damage output while keeping healing support, adds psi flexibility (keeps dual collective going).

Thoughts on the subject are welcome ;-)

Wish there was a naturally psionic part-celestial race so that I could take advantage of the extra PP per level. Really enjoy playing "angel-kin".

Taonna
December 24th, 2015, 03:11
Would y'all prefer a witch or a wizard

MikeParham
December 24th, 2015, 03:40
I've never seen a Witch in-game, but reading about them gives the impression that they can fill a variety of roles, both supportive and controlling. Would be interesting to see in action. What will your Psi-side be?

Taonna
December 24th, 2015, 06:11
I won't have a psi side, using base pathfinder classes witch or wizard and kineticist.

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 24th, 2015, 13:36
I'm making a new character for no reason at all.

Will still play my Soulbolt/Marksman Dwarf, But will also make a 2nd character and thought you guys should know because... well i don't know...
After that i'll possibly go watch some random LP of a game i have yet to own :P

Also need to figure out how difficult it is to make a lvl 100 character for pathfinder. should be fun :P
If anything, just to make the character at lvl 100... O_O imagine how much Gold the character starts with XD

Squeak
December 24th, 2015, 14:48
One thing that occurs to me is that if we don't have a full healer class in the party it might be a good idea to ensure that everyone has some self-healing capability. This never hurts in any case and as there are psionic healing powers it shouldn't be too onerous hopefully.

As far as I can tell (apologies for any mistakes!) currently the roster is something like:

Human Monk/Aegis - Melee Main-Tank (thomasdarkrose)
Aasimar Paladin/Wilder - Off Tank/Off Heals/Damage (Squeak)
Witch or Wizard // ????? - ??????? (Taonna)

Anyway I am preparing for some exams so will probably see you all online after the 5th.

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy new Year!

Squeak

MikeParham
December 24th, 2015, 16:11
I'm rebuilding and testing out the Sacred Fist / Psychic Warrior... thus providing some "true healing" capability while doing the striking/off-tanking and moving about the battlefield that I enjoy as well. But we do need someone else to help keep everyone up, especially if smart opponents alpha-strike the "healer". I'm thinking that the key to the gauntlets will be our sustainability over time. Its also unlikely that my second char will be any form of group healer. :-)

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 24th, 2015, 19:44
UPDATE: My 2nd Character is a Human Vitalist[Mender]/Psion[Egoist(Psychometabolism)] - Focus on Healing and buffing, rather frail too. Hopefully this combo may help us out if the Dwarf i made isn't really wanted. or dies and a replacement might be needed.
Hopefully some of you will pop up during this upcoming Saturday and tell me what you think.

Taonna, If you have skype, would you care to share it in a PM?

thomasdarkrose
December 25th, 2015, 01:35
I'm very excited about this. It looks like we've got a pretty cool party forming with lots of different aspects to make things pretty awesome. I am definitely looking foreword to being the Monk/Aegis.

Taonna I'm not sure which would be better. I like the concept of Witches but their Hexes seem a little lacking, with a few notable exceptions. But I could be wrong, I often am.
Wizard is always a solid choice. It's pretty much universally considered to be the most powerful character at higher levels.
Personally I say go with whatever makes a cooler character concept to you. That's why I picked Aegis as my Psi-Class. I loved the idea of a monk with even more insane defenses and the ability to tweak those defenses and make himself count as a Gargantuan creature at all times.

By the way, the Ectoplasm that makes up his Ecoplasmic Skin is green in color.

Taonna
December 25th, 2015, 02:02
For sure for sure

thomasdarkrose
December 25th, 2015, 20:48
Was putzing around looking at stuff to familiarize myself with Pathfinder a little more and stumbled upon a pretty cool combo that I might use if my Monk dies.
Druid / Psion (Psychometabilism), Shape Shifting and body modification. And from what I can tell, they should stack. So I shift into something nasty and use Metamorphosis to make it even nastier.

Or. Become a Summoner / Psion (Psychometabilism) and use Metamorphosis on the Edilon to give it even more abilities than it would normally have. Or for even more fun, take the Summoner [Synthesist] to wear the Edilon like a suit of armor and use Metamorphosis to make it even more ridiculous. I honestly don't know which would be more fun. Be the monster, or make the monster. Hmmmm or use Metamorphosis on the Edilon and myself to have two nasty monsters.

Either way you get the idea. Fun concept! Not sure how powerful it would be but it would definitely be a lot of fun!

Squeak
December 26th, 2015, 09:23
Unfortunately I have a flu and am now so far behind with my revision for my studies that it is probably best for me to withdraw from the group so you have time to find someone else. It was fun talking with you all and I wish you all a fun campaign.

Thanks everyone and have a great 2016!

Squeak

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 26th, 2015, 12:44
Unfortunately I have a flu and am now so far behind with my revision for my studies that it is probably best for me to withdraw from the group so you have time to find someone else. It was fun talking with you all and I wish you all a fun campaign.

Thanks everyone and have a great 2016!

Squeak

Aww okay then Squeak, wish you the best. Good luck and Happy carrot!

Taonna
December 27th, 2015, 22:44
Hey for the remaining players if y'all could take a quick poll on the calendar between my two possible characters that I may bring to the party just to see which one yall would rather see both can stealth and trap find so that's not an issue

Squeak
December 27th, 2015, 23:04
Aww okay then Squeak, wish you the best. Good luck and Happy carrot!

Thanks -hope you all have a great time!

Happy New Year!

C0pper_B0ltwire
December 31st, 2015, 10:46
* The dwarf is out looking for a temple on the top of a mountain, reputed to house a monk who holds a strong insight to the world and life it self.
Sadly, half way up the mountain, the weather grows strong and vile with hail and strong winds. *

Hail dear hail, you who so fall from the sky and gives me a noisy headache and painful scalp.
Frozen and cold you are as you fall towards my poor poor shoulders.
Please gods of old and new, be kind to me and stop this beautiful yet painful occurrence of weather.
I beg thee of my head and heart, for i much -- OUCH!! -- much rather like to walk and see the beautiful blue sky.
Like a -- AAII! FOR THE LOVE OF...!! -- Like a large wide blue jewel spread out overhead during the day.
Oh gods, what have this dwarf done to -- UUH a cave, better go hiiiiiddee.........

* And so the Dwarf took a looooong slide down, on the inside of the mountain, into the dreaded Underdark, from within a small cave,
his last words before going cold was "ouff, ouch, aaarrrgghh" and other assorted curse words and sentences along with grunts and whimpers of pain from the long rough slide.
What awaits the dwarf on his journey to the top of the mountain? What will he learn? Will he have his questions answered before he even reaches the top of the mountain?
But most importantly, will he survive this unforgiving world of darkness beneath the feet of the common human and forests? *

Skillkoil
January 1st, 2016, 21:08
just adding this char so jerry can help me with it, it is NOT done

JerryRig
January 2nd, 2016, 00:42
characters

Thravior
January 2nd, 2016, 03:10
Is there any potential place left?

C0pper_B0ltwire
January 2nd, 2016, 12:27
Is there any potential place left?
Try Get on the TeamSpeak server by Fantasy Grounds and look for "Rogues Game Room" Around 5:30 PM GMT+1 (Or around noon in USA)
As of writing this, i'll be online until my mother gives me a lift home (currently visiting my family) which is around 6pm or 7pm-ish GMT+1
There is, as far as i can see, room for just 1 more person. So come on by the TeamSpeak room and lets talk
If anything, i can at least help you out creating your character, such as with ideas or suggestions and the like.

And just in case;
Character Creation Rules:
System: Pathfinder - https://www.d20pfsrd.com
Starting Level: 1 GESTALT. - https://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm
Attribute System: 60 point buy - https://www.myth-weavers.com/pointbuy.html
Health Gain: Max health for every level.
Wealth Gain: Max money for 1st level.
Content Allowed: No evil characters, No monster races (or just ask), no 3rd party content except Psionics.
Extra Notes: Two traits, one flaw/drawback. (Taking a Drawback actually gives you a 3rd trait to fill out.)
Expected End Level: 17-18-ish.

Hope to at least get to talk to you as i like to meet new people ^_^

thomasdarkrose
January 8th, 2016, 18:29
Hey, just wanted to make sure we were still on for tomorrow afternoon? The game was set to start the 9th and I want to make sure that's still the case. I'm still super excited to get this game rolling and see what happens and how brutally our characters get murdered.

Rogue
January 8th, 2016, 18:32
yes, but, I will be about an hour late. I have a writing class Saturday morning and it doesn't get out until noon.

l1wolf
January 8th, 2016, 20:27
If you end up needing another character send me a PM.

MikeParham
January 9th, 2016, 17:43
Here is the FG file for Xarien uploaded in case we have problems with importing.

thomasdarkrose
January 16th, 2016, 00:47
Hey guys, just wanted to see if we're still on for tomorrow. I hope we are and I hope to see you all.

Rogue
January 16th, 2016, 01:11
If I end up feeling tomorrow like I feel today, there probably wont be. What started out as a stomach bug might be the beginning of the flu.

C0pper_B0ltwire
January 16th, 2016, 13:12
If I end up feeling tomorrow like I feel today, there probably wont be. What started out as a stomach bug might be the beginning of the flu.
I hope for the best. i'm soooo looking forward to the game :P

JerryRig
January 18th, 2016, 00:08
Looks like I failed to show on time. Was looking forward to getting into trouble with everyone myself but got pulled away with family stuff. Will look for you all next week.

thomasdarkrose
January 18th, 2016, 02:05
That's okay Jerry, your character got rescued and dragged along, and we just played it off as your character being super high on drugs. Your character did some funny stuff that will get him made fun of for a while.

C0pper_B0ltwire
January 23rd, 2016, 14:36
So, lets everyone is ready for the game today...